Firefox won't display my webpage

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by peter bendall, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home),
    http://www.freehost.ag/bendall/
    it just errors "Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com"
    (or ad.adnet.biz)

    I have the other browsers including msie, mozilla, opera and netscape -
    beginning with netscape4, 7 or 8, and it does work with any browser
    except Firefox....

    Thinking that an error would have to be with freehost.ag, (I get the
    effect only with the web page) I despatched an error message, but
    they could not reproduce the error!

    I think, now, that the error will be with parameters of my installation
    of Firefox, but I can't get rid of the bookmarks!
    Where are they stored?
    I updated from Firefox1 to 1.0.6, erasing the directory
    /Program Files/Mozilla Firefox in its entirety, but it doen't erase
    the bookmarks!

    I should like to get advice from you!
    Thank you in advance!

    --
    peter minus bendall at web point de
    http://homepage.schleswig-holstein.de/bendall/

    peter bendall, Aug 18, 2005

  2. peter bendall

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:29:01 +0200, peter bendall
    <> spake thusly:

    >Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home),
    >http://www.freehost.ag/bendall/
    > it just errors "Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com"
    > (or ad.adnet.biz)

    Works here.

    --

    Pastor Dave

    http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/solution.html

    http://tinyurl.com/ce97m

    "The mark of a society that's on its last leg, is when
    there is no fear of God." - Adrian Rogers

    "The best vitamin for a Christian is B1."

    Pastor Dave, Aug 18, 2005

  3. peter bendall

    Ed Mullen Guest

    peter bendall wrote:

    > Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home),
    > http://www.freehost.ag/bendall/
    > it just errors "Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com"
    > (or ad.adnet.biz)
    >
    > I have the other browsers including msie, mozilla, opera and netscape -
    > beginning with netscape4, 7 or 8, and it does work with any browser
    > except Firefox....
    >
    > Thinking that an error would have to be with freehost.ag, (I get the
    > effect only with the web page) I despatched an error message, but
    > they could not reproduce the error!
    >
    > I think, now, that the error will be with parameters of my installation
    > of Firefox, but I can't get rid of the bookmarks!
    > Where are they stored?
    > I updated from Firefox1 to 1.0.6, erasing the directory
    > /Program Files/Mozilla Firefox in its entirety, but it doen't erase
    > the bookmarks!
    >
    > I should like to get advice from you!
    > Thank you in advance!

    First, all of your Firefox personal settings and data are stored in your
    profile folder(s), NOT in the Firefox program location.

    Specifically, bookmarks are stored in "bookmarks.html" in your profile
    folder. See: http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.html

    You do NOT want to directly edit that file. Instead use the Firefox
    menus - Bookmarks - Manage Bookmarks. However, I don't think that's the
    problem. I suspect that those ads are being blocked by a HOSTS file,
    cookies settings, popup settings, or some combination of those. When I
    go to the site there are missing elements due to one or more of the
    things I cited.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Pastor Dave wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:29:01 +0200, peter bendall
    > <> spake thusly:
    >
    >> Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home)

    > Works here.

    Actually, the "my homepage doesn't work please check it out" trick is
    one of the oldest ways to get some traffic to your site. Of course it
    works; the trick is that most people visit the site just to see what's
    wrong with it (and, of course, they find that everything works just fine).

    Nikos Chantziaras, Aug 19, 2005
  5. peter bendall <> writes:

    >Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home),
    >http://www.freehost.ag/bendall/
    > it just errors "Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com"
    > (or ad.adnet.biz)

    It works fine on 1.0.6 under Win98...assuming that's supposed to be the Lost
    Canals of Schleswig-Holstein page.

    --
    Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey () Houston, Texas
    chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2005-06 Houston Aeros)

    The Chief Instigator, Aug 19, 2005
  6. peter bendall

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:29:01 +0200, in message
     <Xns96B6B1F2081B5bendalltonlinede@62.153.159.134>, peter bendall wrote:

    > Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home),
    > http://www.freehost.ag/bendall/
    > it just errors "Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com"
    > (or ad.adnet.biz)

    First, try clearing Firefox's cache.

    > I have the other browsers including msie, mozilla, opera and netscape -
    > beginning with netscape4, 7 or 8, and it does work with any browser
    > except Firefox....

    Are these other browsers on the same PC,
    and using the same internet connection?

    If so, it could be a duff file in Firefox's cache causing this.

    > Thinking that an error would have to be with freehost.ag, (I get the
    > effect only with the web page) I despatched an error message, but
    > they could not reproduce the error!
    >
    > I think, now, that the error will be with parameters of my installation
    > of Firefox, but I can't get rid of the bookmarks!
    > Where are they stored?

    Your bookmarks are all in a single file named "bookmarks.html"
    to be found in your user profile directory.

    See http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

    > I updated from Firefox1 to 1.0.6, erasing the directory
    > /Program Files/Mozilla Firefox in its entirety, but it doen't erase
    > the bookmarks!

    Uninstalling removes the program, but not the user profile
    directory or directories.

    > I should like to get advice from you!
    > Thank you in advance!

    You're welcome.

    Ralph Fox, Aug 19, 2005
  7. Nikos Chantziaras <> wrote in
    > Actually, the "my homepage doesn't work please check it out" trick is
    > one of the oldest ways to get some traffic to your site. Of course it
    > works; the trick is that most people visit the site just to see what's
    > wrong with it (and, of course, they find that everything works just
    > fine).

    I got a reply from the ISP, negative of course "it works here."
    and three quarters of a hour later it was all right - and
    it remained allright!
    Thankyou for all the comments

    I got a email from one of your subscribers complaining that I gave
    a URL from one of the sites, I apologise for the oversight - I won't
    give the url again, you will have to guess it!

    peter bendall, Aug 27, 2005