    get the new install to ask to remember passwords?

    TIA

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Dan wrote:
    > I recently built a new pc. After installing FF, I copied the contents
    > of my profile directory into the new profile, overwriting the existing
    > new files. This loaded all my old extensions & bookmarks, but not my
    > passwords. Since I was mostly worried about having to reinstall &
    > config all the extensions, I figured the missing passwords were no big
    > deal, I'd jut re-nester them as needed. But the new FF install is NOT
    > asking to remember passwords, even though it is set to do so. I'm
    > wondering if the old password file (presumably copied over with the
    > profile, I'm not even sure what file it is) might some how be blocking
    > the "remember" dialog, even though it's not providing passwords itself.
    > How can I either activate the old password file in the new install, or
    > get the new install to ask to remember passwords?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dan

    Passwords are in signons.txt. That file, and key3.db must be copied
    over for the passwords to be available.

    As to why FF is not asking to remember passwords, I don't know, it does
    here.

    Forgive me for asking, but you did check
    Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Passwords, and check the box. Try unchecking,
    close FF, then reopen and check. See if it works.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Dan

    > Passwords are in signons.txt. That file, and key3.db must be copied
    > over for the passwords to be available.
    >
    > As to why FF is not asking to remember passwords, I don't know, it does
    > here.
    >
    > Forgive me for asking, but you did check
    > Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Passwords, and check the box. Try unchecking,
    > close FF, then reopen and check. See if it works.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks for the reply. Yes, save passwords is checked. Unchecking it,
    shutting ff, then rechecking it did not make a difference; FF still does
    not offer to remember passwords. Unfortunately, I no longer have access
    to the original FF installation from which I copied the profile
    (formatting a drive will do that... ;-) The only signons.txt and
    key3.db files in the current installation are in my Tbird profile. I'd
    really like to get this function back, any other ideas? Reinstall, maybe?

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 29, 2006
  4. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> I recently built a new pc. After installing FF, I copied the contents
    >> of my profile directory into the new profile, overwriting the existing
    >> new files. This loaded all my old extensions & bookmarks, but not my
    >> passwords. Since I was mostly worried about having to reinstall &
    >> config all the extensions, I figured the missing passwords were no big
    >> deal, I'd jut re-nester them as needed. But the new FF install is NOT
    >> asking to remember passwords, even though it is set to do so. I'm
    >> wondering if the old password file (presumably copied over with the
    >> profile, I'm not even sure what file it is) might some how be blocking
    >> the "remember" dialog, even though it's not providing passwords
    >> itself. How can I either activate the old password file in the new
    >> install, or get the new install to ask to remember passwords?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Dan

    > Passwords are in signons.txt. That file, and key3.db must be copied
    > over for the passwords to be available.
    >
    > As to why FF is not asking to remember passwords, I don't know, it does
    > here.
    >
    > Forgive me for asking, but you did check
    > Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Passwords, and check the box. Try unchecking,
    > close FF, then reopen and check. See if it works.
    >
    > Lee

    Since a reinstall does not affect your profile, that's unlikely to help.

    First try opening FF in Safe Mode:

    Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox>>Mozilla Firefox/(Safe Mode)

    This disables extensions. If you can save passwords in Safe Mode, we
    know its a problem extension.

    If that does not help, try creating a new profile for test purposes:

    To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe
    -p in the field, and click OK. Note the space after exe, it is important.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 29, 2006
  5. Dan

    Andy Luddy Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Dan wrote:
    >>> I recently built a new pc. After installing FF, I copied the
    >>> contents of my profile directory into the new profile, overwriting
    >>> the existing new files. This loaded all my old extensions &
    >>> bookmarks, but not my passwords. Since I was mostly worried about
    >>> having to reinstall & config all the extensions, I figured the
    >>> missing passwords were no big deal, I'd jut re-nester them as
    >>> needed. But the new FF install is NOT asking to remember passwords,
    >>> even though it is set to do so. I'm wondering if the old password
    >>> file (presumably copied over with the profile, I'm not even sure what
    >>> file it is) might some how be blocking the "remember" dialog, even
    >>> though it's not providing passwords itself. How can I either
    >>> activate the old password file in the new install, or get the new
    >>> install to ask to remember passwords?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    >> Passwords are in signons.txt. That file, and key3.db must be copied
    >> over for the passwords to be available.
    >>
    >> As to why FF is not asking to remember passwords, I don't know, it
    >> does here.
    >>
    >> Forgive me for asking, but you did check
    >> Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Passwords, and check the box. Try
    >> unchecking, close FF, then reopen and check. See if it works.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Since a reinstall does not affect your profile, that's unlikely to help.
    >
    > First try opening FF in Safe Mode:
    >
    > Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox>>Mozilla Firefox/(Safe Mode)
    >
    > This disables extensions. If you can save passwords in Safe Mode, we
    > know its a problem extension.
    >
    > If that does not help, try creating a new profile for test purposes:
    >
    > To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe
    > -p in the field, and click OK. Note the space after exe, it is important.
    >
    > Lee

    You might want to consider deleting (or renaming) the current
    signons.txt and key3.db files. It's possible that they are corrupt.
    Since you are not concerned so much with the old passwords, you're not
    losing anything.

    --
    Andy Luddy
    Perform appendectomy to reply

    Andy Luddy, Sep 29, 2006
  6. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Since a reinstall does not affect your profile, that's unlikely to help.
    >
    > First try opening FF in Safe Mode:
    >
    > Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox>>Mozilla Firefox/(Safe Mode)
    >
    > This disables extensions. If you can save passwords in Safe Mode, we
    > know its a problem extension.
    >
    > If that does not help, try creating a new profile for test purposes:
    >
    > To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe
    > -p in the field, and click OK. Note the space after exe, it is important.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks, I'll give that a try. Again, the only signons.txt and key3.db
    files are in the TBIRD directory. Is this where they would be for FF
    (seems unlikely) or is this an error?

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 29, 2006
  7. Dan wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> Since a reinstall does not affect your profile, that's unlikely to help.
    >>
    >> First try opening FF in Safe Mode:
    >>
    >> Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox>>Mozilla Firefox/(Safe Mode)
    >>
    >> This disables extensions. If you can save passwords in Safe Mode, we
    >> know its a problem extension.
    >>
    >> If that does not help, try creating a new profile for test purposes:
    >>
    >> To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe
    >> -p in the field, and click OK. Note the space after exe, it is
    >> important.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks, I'll give that a try. Again, the only signons.txt and key3.db
    > files are in the TBIRD directory. Is this where they would be for FF
    > (seems unlikely) or is this an error?
    >
    > Dan

    No there should be files in the Firefox profile folder as well. Their
    absence may be symptomatic of the problem. One of the things to check
    in the test profile would be the presence/absence of these files.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 29, 2006
  8. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > No there should be files in the Firefox profile folder as well. Their
    > absence may be symptomatic of the problem. One of the things to check
    > in the test profile would be the presence/absence of these files.
    >
    > Lee

    Lee + Andy, thanks for the replies. When I set up a NEW profile, the
    new one DOES ask for passwords. Copying the bookmarks file is easy, but
    what is the best way to import my extensions & their configs into this
    new profile?

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 29, 2006
  9. Dan wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> No there should be files in the Firefox profile folder as well. Their
    >> absence may be symptomatic of the problem. One of the things to check
    >> in the test profile would be the presence/absence of these files.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Lee + Andy, thanks for the replies. When I set up a NEW profile, the
    > new one DOES ask for passwords. Copying the bookmarks file is easy, but
    > what is the best way to import my extensions & their configs into this
    > new profile?
    >
    > Dan

    It can be done, but since we still don't know what was causing your
    problem, it would be wise to reinstall your extensions one by one, and
    test between. I know its a pain, but lets take the prudent course.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 29, 2006
  10. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > It can be done, but since we still don't know what was causing your
    > problem, it would be wise to reinstall your extensions one by one, and
    > test between. I know its a pain, but lets take the prudent course.
    >
    > Lee

    Lee-I copied all the folders (adblock plus, bookmarkbackups, chrome, &
    extensions) as well as all .rdf files from the profile which had working
    extensions into the test one with no extensions but which asked
    for/saved passwords, now this latter profile has all the working
    extensions plus asks for passwords, which was my goal. Still seems like
    there should be some way to transfer all that, including already entered
    passwords, cookies etc to a new installation (after all, it offers to
    import from IE) but I'm happy with this outcome.

    Thanks for your assistance.

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 30, 2006
  11. Dan wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> It can be done, but since we still don't know what was causing your
    >> problem, it would be wise to reinstall your extensions one by one, and
    >> test between. I know its a pain, but lets take the prudent course.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Lee-I copied all the folders (adblock plus, bookmarkbackups, chrome, &
    > extensions) as well as all .rdf files from the profile which had working
    > extensions into the test one with no extensions but which asked
    > for/saved passwords, now this latter profile has all the working
    > extensions plus asks for passwords, which was my goal. Still seems like
    > there should be some way to transfer all that, including already entered
    > passwords, cookies etc to a new installation (after all, it offers to
    > import from IE) but I'm happy with this outcome.
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance.
    >
    > Dan

    Well, remember, your profile was broken. It would not save passwords as
    it was. If you are just cloning a working profile to a new location.
    just copy/pasting the files is easy.

    As a support person, I'm reluctant to give you advice that might
    backfire, so I tend to err on the side of caution. I would hate to give
    advice that caused anyone to lose needed data.

    Since so far it has gone well, transferring cookies should be safe
    enough. They are in cookies.txt. Copy that file in the old profile, and
    paste it into the new.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones
    Mozilla Champion

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 30, 2006
  12. Dan

    Dan Guest

    >> Dan
    >
    > Well, remember, your profile was broken. It would not save passwords as
    > it was. If you are just cloning a working profile to a new location.
    > just copy/pasting the files is easy.
    >
    > As a support person, I'm reluctant to give you advice that might
    > backfire, so I tend to err on the side of caution. I would hate to give
    > advice that caused anyone to lose needed data.
    >
    > Since so far it has gone well, transferring cookies should be safe
    > enough. They are in cookies.txt. Copy that file in the old profile, and
    > paste it into the new.
    >
    > Lee

    I see your point, and thanks again for the assistance ;-)

    Dan

    Dan, Oct 1, 2006
  13. On 2006-09-29, Dan <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply. Yes, save passwords is checked. Unchecking it,
    > shutting ff, then rechecking it did not make a difference; FF still does
    > not offer to remember passwords. Unfortunately, I no longer have access
    > to the original FF installation from which I copied the profile
    > (formatting a drive will do that... ;-) The only signons.txt and
    > key3.db files in the current installation are in my Tbird profile. I'd
    > really like to get this function back, any other ideas? Reinstall, maybe?

    Make sure the *.s files are copied over from your old profile. If that
    doesn't help, delete all the cookies related to the problematic sites.
    If that doesn't help, try the "remember password" bookmarklet here:

    http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html

    If that doesn't help, I'm out of ideas.

    --

    John ()