Firefox WMV Plugin

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by DJ V, Apr 16, 2005.

  1. DJ V

    DJ V Guest

    I'm a loyal Firefox user from back in the FireBird days. I've spread
    firefox in my community a great bunch, but now recently a group of
    people have asked me a Firefox question that even I could not solve.

    That's why I'm asking here. On the VH1 site, (www.vh1.com), there are
    videos availible for playing. Now, when you open one, it will attempt
    to play in Windows Media Player INSIDE a Firefox window. Now although
    I have all the latest updates, it will say it cannot play and needs
    the plugin. If you click to download it, it will download Windows
    Media Player v.9, and it will discover that I have version 10.0 and
    will quit. And then it will loop endlessly, becuase it refuses to
    play.

    I have looked it up on the Mozilla plugin site, and it says nothing
    about 10.0, just 9.0 and a patch, I believe.

    Any thoughts????

    Thanks

    DJ V, Apr 16, 2005

  2. DJ V

    Big Will Guest

    DJ V wrote:
    > I'm a loyal Firefox user from back in the FireBird days. I've spread
    > firefox in my community a great bunch, but now recently a group of
    > people have asked me a Firefox question that even I could not solve.
    >
    > That's why I'm asking here. On the VH1 site, (www.vh1.com), there are
    > videos availible for playing. Now, when you open one, it will attempt
    > to play in Windows Media Player INSIDE a Firefox window. Now although
    > I have all the latest updates, it will say it cannot play and needs
    > the plugin. If you click to download it, it will download Windows
    > Media Player v.9, and it will discover that I have version 10.0 and
    > will quit. And then it will loop endlessly, becuase it refuses to
    > play.
    >
    > I have looked it up on the Mozilla plugin site, and it says nothing
    > about 10.0, just 9.0 and a patch, I believe.
    >
    > Any thoughts????
    >

    > Thanks

    I'm sure there's a registry edit you could do that'll get FF to
    recognize WMP 10, but if not, can you maybe revert back to V9.0 by
    uninstalling 10? Then if you can get that to work in FF, try upgrading
    back to 10 and see if it'll work. Of course, please create a restore
    point before trying any experimental uninstalling/reinstalling of
    Windows Components.

    Regards,

    Will

    Regards,

    Will.

    Big Will, Apr 16, 2005

  3. DJ V

    Moz Champion Guest

    Big Will wrote:
    > DJ V wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a loyal Firefox user from back in the FireBird days. I've spread
    >> firefox in my community a great bunch, but now recently a group of
    >> people have asked me a Firefox question that even I could not solve.
    >>
    >> That's why I'm asking here. On the VH1 site, (www.vh1.com), there are
    >> videos availible for playing. Now, when you open one, it will attempt
    >> to play in Windows Media Player INSIDE a Firefox window. Now although
    >> I have all the latest updates, it will say it cannot play and needs
    >> the plugin. If you click to download it, it will download Windows
    >> Media Player v.9, and it will discover that I have version 10.0 and
    >> will quit. And then it will loop endlessly, becuase it refuses to
    >> play.
    >>
    >> I have looked it up on the Mozilla plugin site, and it says nothing
    >> about 10.0, just 9.0 and a patch, I believe.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts????
    >>

    >> Thanks

    > I'm sure there's a registry edit you could do that'll get FF to
    > recognize WMP 10, but if not, can you maybe revert back to V9.0 by
    > uninstalling 10? Then if you can get that to work in FF, try upgrading
    > back to 10 and see if it'll work. Of course, please create a restore
    > point before trying any experimental uninstalling/reinstalling of
    > Windows Components.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Will
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Will.

    Shades of AOL <g>
    Rejects Macintosh computers offhand, wont even try.

    Moz Champion, Apr 17, 2005