    tried running Firefox in safe mode which also failed. Any ideas. I
    can't think of anything that has changed on my machine.

    , Feb 7, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Firefox stopped working on my win xp machine. When I try to launch the
    > program firefox.exe is running but the program never launches. I also
    > tried running Firefox in safe mode which also failed. Any ideas. I
    > can't think of anything that has changed on my machine.

    Use Task Manager to kill all running processes of Firefox, then try again.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Guest

    I have done this with no success.

    , Feb 7, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > I have done this with no success.

    Have you rebooted the machine?

    If so, can you open Profile Manager?

    To open Profile Manager:

    Start>>Run

    Type firefox.exe -p in the field. Note the space before the dash, it is
    important.

    If Profile Manager opens, create a new test profile ans see if FF will run.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 7, 2005
  5. Xanophile Guest

    wrote:
    > Firefox stopped working on my win xp machine. When I try to launch the
    > program firefox.exe is running but the program never launches. I also
    > tried running Firefox in safe mode which also failed. Any ideas. I
    > can't think of anything that has changed on my machine.

    This is getting to be quite common, actually. I had 3 people mention it
    to me on the week end. Among other things (links not working, program
    closing itself randomly). I don't think FF is ready for the big time
    yet. If they want to keep the momentum going they need to get 1.1 out
    *NOW.* Today. A minute ago.

    As for your problem, the only thing that actually worked for any length
    of time was re-installing the program overtop of itself. Other fixes
    worked for a few instances of the program opening, but not for long.

    Firefox just seems to degrade after a while. Puts new meaning to the
    term 'vaporware,' anyway.

    They need to haul ass and fix it.

    Xanophile, Feb 7, 2005
  6. Guest

    This did it...thanks....hopefully I can restore all of my old settings.
    Thanks

    , Feb 7, 2005
  7. wrote:
    > This did it...thanks....hopefully I can restore all of my old settings.
    > Thanks

    Extensions and themes should be reinstalled. Go one at a time and trst,
    just in case one of them was causing your problem.

    Just go into the old profile folder, and copy bookmarks.html, then paste
    it into the new profile folder.

    As far as anything else, take a look at Irwin's profiles help page for
    guidance:

    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 8, 2005
  8. On 2005-02-07, <> wrote:

    > This did it...thanks....hopefully I can restore all of my old settings.

    Make sure there's not a lock file in your old profile directory. Sometimes
    that's enough to keep FF from starting.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Feb 9, 2005
  9. jjdominican

    Joined:
    May 15, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Leonidas you r awesome. this helped me alot. i got my firefox working again

    jjdominican, May 15, 2008
  10. vinnyM

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Thank you for this article. The remedy with Profile manager worked well for me.
    I have been tearing my hair out trying to get Firefox back!!
    I thought it was a virus or something. I had gone and bought a different vrus checker, and this also did not make a difference.
    Thanks for this article. Well done
    Vinnym

    vinnyM, Nov 1, 2008
  11. Funkyecat

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Well its 2010 and I have the problem. I have tried all the suggestions and still no access.
    Any computer exorcists out there?

    Funkyecat, Mar 2, 2010
  12. robert11

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    :listen: if you open terminal and type pidof Firefox this will give you an id number this is different each time then type kill { then the id number} Firefox will now work you will have to do this each time Firefox give you a massage saying it it still running as it gives you a different id number each time

    robert11, Oct 28, 2011
  13. robert11

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    :listen: if you open terminal and type pidof Firefox-bin this will give you an id number this is different each time then type kill { then the id number} Firefox will now work you will have to do this each time Firefox give you a massage saying it it still running as it gives you a different id number each time

    robert11, Oct 28, 2011