Firefox - what is the best security suite - slightly OT?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by The invisible man, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. Hello

    I was just about to replace Norton with PC-cillin when I found out it is
    apparently not Firefox compatible.

    Any ideas on other security suites that work well with Firefox - or not?

    Alternatively can anyone recommend a good source of information?
    Zone Alarm seems to get a good press except for wireless.

    I am a home user with:
    a broadband connection
    XP with SP2
    Microsoft (ex Giant) AntiSpyware, Ad Aware & Spybot

    I use Firefox except for pages that won't work with it
    I use Outlook Express because it can automatically fetch my Hotmail mail.
    I have a Belkin F5D7630 ADSL modem/wireless router wired to my desktop and
    wireless to a laptop that has an old Belkin card that only supports WEP.
    Don't chat, use messaging or play games.
    Occasionally do a bit of file sharing.
    Not worried about parental controls.

    I don't really want to mess about with components from different companies
    if possible
    Automatic updates or reminders would be good
    Don't mind paying a bit but would rather not have to pay for separate
    licences for the desktop and laptop.

    Any ideas gratefully received
    Please reply to group.
    Many thanks
    Hugh
    The invisible man, Sep 25, 2005

  2. The invisible man

    kmm59us Guest

    I discovered the same thing, except it does work with Firefox, not
    Thunderbird. I had to revert to OE.
    I could send email, just not receive anything with Thunderbird.

    I've had no trouble getting any websites/pages with Firefox and PC-Cillin.

    Karen

    kmm59us, Sep 25, 2005

  3. The invisible man

    gwtc Guest

    The invisible man wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I was just about to replace Norton with PC-cillin when I found out it is
    > apparently not Firefox compatible.
    >
    > Any ideas on other security suites that work well with Firefox - or not?
    >
    > Alternatively can anyone recommend a good source of information?
    > Zone Alarm seems to get a good press except for wireless.
    >
    > I am a home user with:
    > a broadband connection
    > XP with SP2
    > Microsoft (ex Giant) AntiSpyware, Ad Aware & Spybot
    >
    > I use Firefox except for pages that won't work with it
    > I use Outlook Express because it can automatically fetch my Hotmail mail.

    If you want to dump OE, and use Thunderbird, you can get TB to
    download your hotmail accounts. You need a separate FREE program to
    do this and its called FreePops. Its available from here:
    http://www.freepops.org/en/. I use this using all my hotmail accounts
    and it works great.

    gwtc, Sep 25, 2005
  4. "gwtc" <> wrote in message
    > The invisible man wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I was just about to replace Norton with PC-cillin when I found out it is
    >> apparently not Firefox compatible.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on other security suites that work well with Firefox - or not?
    >>
    >> Alternatively can anyone recommend a good source of information?
    >> Zone Alarm seems to get a good press except for wireless.
    >>
    >> I am a home user with:
    >> a broadband connection
    >> XP with SP2
    >> Microsoft (ex Giant) AntiSpyware, Ad Aware & Spybot
    >>
    >> I use Firefox except for pages that won't work with it
    >> I use Outlook Express because it can automatically fetch my Hotmail mail.

    > If you want to dump OE, and use Thunderbird, you can get TB to download
    > your hotmail accounts. You need a separate FREE program to do this and
    > its called FreePops. Its available from here:
    > http://www.freepops.org/en/. I use this using all my hotmail accounts and
    > it works great.

    Many thanks for this. I will give it a try when I get a few minutes.
    Hugh

    The invisible man, Sep 25, 2005
  5. The invisible man wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I was just about to replace Norton with PC-cillin when I found out it is
    > apparently not Firefox compatible.
    >
    > Any ideas on other security suites that work well with Firefox - or not?
    >
    > Alternatively can anyone recommend a good source of information?
    > Zone Alarm seems to get a good press except for wireless.
    >
    > I am a home user with:
    > a broadband connection
    > XP with SP2
    > Microsoft (ex Giant) AntiSpyware, Ad Aware & Spybot
    >
    > I use Firefox except for pages that won't work with it
    > I use Outlook Express because it can automatically fetch my Hotmail mail.
    > I have a Belkin F5D7630 ADSL modem/wireless router wired to my desktop and
    > wireless to a laptop that has an old Belkin card that only supports WEP.
    > Don't chat, use messaging or play games.
    > Occasionally do a bit of file sharing.
    > Not worried about parental controls.
    >
    > I don't really want to mess about with components from different companies
    > if possible
    > Automatic updates or reminders would be good
    > Don't mind paying a bit but would rather not have to pay for separate
    > licences for the desktop and laptop.
    >
    > Any ideas gratefully received
    > Please reply to group.
    > Many thanks
    > Hugh

    I'm using AVG and Sygate, and quite happy with both, no problems with
    FF/TB or SeaMonkey as default apps.

    See gwtc's response concerning Freepops.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Sep 25, 2005
  6. The invisible man

    xModem Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:02:41 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    >The invisible man wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I was just about to replace Norton with PC-cillin when I found out it is
    >> apparently not Firefox compatible.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on other security suites that work well with Firefox - or not?
    >>
    >> Alternatively can anyone recommend a good source of information?
    >> Zone Alarm seems to get a good press except for wireless.
    >>
    >> I am a home user with:
    >> a broadband connection
    >> XP with SP2
    >> Microsoft (ex Giant) AntiSpyware, Ad Aware & Spybot
    >>
    >> I use Firefox except for pages that won't work with it
    >> I use Outlook Express because it can automatically fetch my Hotmail mail.
    >> I have a Belkin F5D7630 ADSL modem/wireless router wired to my desktop and
    >> wireless to a laptop that has an old Belkin card that only supports WEP.
    >> Don't chat, use messaging or play games.
    >> Occasionally do a bit of file sharing.
    >> Not worried about parental controls.
    >>
    >> I don't really want to mess about with components from different companies
    >> if possible
    >> Automatic updates or reminders would be good
    >> Don't mind paying a bit but would rather not have to pay for separate
    >> licences for the desktop and laptop.
    >>
    >> Any ideas gratefully received
    >> Please reply to group.
    >> Many thanks
    >> Hugh
    >>

    >I'm using AVG and Sygate, and quite happy with both, no problems with
    >FF/TB or SeaMonkey as default apps.

    Same setup as I'm using.
    Now that Symantec has acquired Sygate, I wonder how long the freebie version
    of their firewall will last?

    xModem, Sep 25, 2005
  7. xModem wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:02:41 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >
    >> The invisible man wrote:
    >>> Hello
    >>>
    >>> I was just about to replace Norton with PC-cillin when I found out it is
    >>> apparently not Firefox compatible.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on other security suites that work well with Firefox - or not?
    >>>
    >>> Alternatively can anyone recommend a good source of information?
    >>> Zone Alarm seems to get a good press except for wireless.
    >>>
    >>> I am a home user with:
    >>> a broadband connection
    >>> XP with SP2
    >>> Microsoft (ex Giant) AntiSpyware, Ad Aware & Spybot
    >>>
    >>> I use Firefox except for pages that won't work with it
    >>> I use Outlook Express because it can automatically fetch my Hotmail mail.
    >>> I have a Belkin F5D7630 ADSL modem/wireless router wired to my desktop and
    >>> wireless to a laptop that has an old Belkin card that only supports WEP.
    >>> Don't chat, use messaging or play games.
    >>> Occasionally do a bit of file sharing.
    >>> Not worried about parental controls.
    >>>
    >>> I don't really want to mess about with components from different companies
    >>> if possible
    >>> Automatic updates or reminders would be good
    >>> Don't mind paying a bit but would rather not have to pay for separate
    >>> licences for the desktop and laptop.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas gratefully received
    >>> Please reply to group.
    >>> Many thanks
    >>> Hugh
    >>>

    >> I'm using AVG and Sygate, and quite happy with both, no problems with
    >> FF/TB or SeaMonkey as default apps.

    > Same setup as I'm using.
    > Now that Symantec has acquired Sygate, I wonder how long the freebie version
    > of their firewall will last?
    >
    >> See gwtc's response concerning Freepops.
    >>
    >> Lee

    We had a discussion about this over on secnews. Consensus is that,
    since even though Sygate has been set to look for updates automatically,
    there have been none. The ap has run beautifully. While I am looking
    at free OutPost as a fallback, right now I plan to stay with Sygate
    until I see a good reason not to.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Sep 26, 2005