FireFox: What happened?!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Robert, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    I have been using FF for a few weeks successfully. I did a "System Restore" in
    XP last night (for other reasons) and now FF won't do ANYthing.

    The restore point was a time when FF worked properly so I can't figure why it
    is "dead" at this time. I have deleted it and re-installed it a number of
    times and a number of ways. I closed all programs and re-installed it. Not
    working.

    I deleted it again and re-installed it without closing programs. Nothing. I
    even used the "Run" command from the website download to install it while
    online yet nothing seems to work.

    When FF opens, I can click on anything in the toolbar (file, view,
    bookmarks, etc.) but it does absolutely nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.

    Am I doing something wrong? (It did work well for a few weeks and on two
    different computers -- this one included) should I do something differently?
    Re-install differently? What?!

    Any ideas and information are appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all
    help and pointing in a right direction.

    Robert
    Robert, Oct 20, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Robert wrote:
    > I have been using FF for a few weeks successfully. I did a "System Restore" in
    > XP last night (for other reasons) and now FF won't do ANYthing.
    >
    > The restore point was a time when FF worked properly so I can't figure why it
    > is "dead" at this time. I have deleted it and re-installed it a number of
    > times and a number of ways. I closed all programs and re-installed it. Not
    > working.
    >
    > I deleted it again and re-installed it without closing programs. Nothing. I
    > even used the "Run" command from the website download to install it while
    > online yet nothing seems to work.
    >
    > When FF opens, I can click on anything in the toolbar (file, view,
    > bookmarks, etc.) but it does absolutely nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.
    >
    > Am I doing something wrong? (It did work well for a few weeks and on two
    > different computers -- this one included) should I do something differently?
    > Re-install differently? What?!
    >
    > Any ideas and information are appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all
    > help and pointing in a right direction.
    >
    > Robert
    >


    Have you tried opening it in Safe Mode?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 20, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Robert

    Reg Mouatt Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:17:57 GMT, (Robert) wrote:

    >I have been using FF for a few weeks successfully. I did a "System Restore" in
    >XP last night (for other reasons) and now FF won't do ANYthing.
    >
    >The restore point was a time when FF worked properly so I can't figure why it
    >is "dead" at this time. I have deleted it and re-installed it a number of
    >times and a number of ways. I closed all programs and re-installed it. Not
    >working.
    >
    >I deleted it again and re-installed it without closing programs. Nothing. I
    >even used the "Run" command from the website download to install it while
    >online yet nothing seems to work.
    >
    >When FF opens, I can click on anything in the toolbar (file, view,
    >bookmarks, etc.) but it does absolutely nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.
    >
    >Am I doing something wrong? (It did work well for a few weeks and on two
    >different computers -- this one included) should I do something differently?
    >Re-install differently? What?!
    >
    >Any ideas and information are appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all
    >help and pointing in a right direction.
    >
    >Robert
    >


    Hi Robert,
    When I have had programmes that do not reinstall properly I have
    found that using jv16PowerTools from www.macecraft.com an absolute
    boon. By removing every registry entry associated with the problem
    programme it has enabled me to install properly on more than one
    occasion. There is a thirty day free trial and by clicking on the
    third icon from the left in the 'Registry Tools' section it allows you
    to search for a product by name eg. Firefox (and Mozilla if you have
    no other products from here). You can then remove all of the entries
    from the registry and create a backup at the same time should you need
    to replace any.
    Good luck,
    Reg
    Reg Mouatt, Oct 21, 2004
    #3
  4. Robert

    Robert Guest

    In article <>, Reg Mouatt <> wrote:

    > When I have had programmes that do not reinstall properly I have
    >found that using jv16PowerTools from www.macecraft.com an absolute
    >boon. By removing every registry entry associated with the problem
    >programme it has enabled me to install properly on more than one
    >occasion.


    Thanks. I d/l the Power Tools and tried tidying things up. I had already run
    "Registry Healer" but still no luck with either.

    Thanks for the info, though, and I will play around with it some moer and see
    what happens.

    Robert
    Robert, Oct 21, 2004
    #4
  5. Robert

    Robert Guest

    In article <8xwdd.14717$>, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >
    >Have you tried opening it in Safe Mode?


    Yes. After you wrote this I tried but still no-go. Safe Mode as well as the
    regular FireFox both do not respond to anything.

    Thanks for this. Any other ideas?

    Robert
    Robert, Oct 21, 2004
    #5
  6. Robert wrote:
    > In article <>, Reg Mouatt <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> When I have had programmes that do not reinstall properly I have
    >>found that using jv16PowerTools from www.macecraft.com an absolute
    >>boon. By removing every registry entry associated with the problem
    >>programme it has enabled me to install properly on more than one
    >>occasion.

    >
    >
    > Thanks. I d/l the Power Tools and tried tidying things up. I had already run
    > "Registry Healer" but still no luck with either.
    >
    > Thanks for the info, though, and I will play around with it some moer and see
    > what happens.
    >
    > Robert


    Try creating a new profile and see if FF will open in that.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 21, 2004
    #6
  7. Robert

    Bo Guest

    Ever find a problem for this? I am having the same issues.. Nothing
    works (safe mode, any of the menues, can't even type in a URL.. it's
    completely dead)
    Bo, Nov 12, 2004
    #7
  8. Bo wrote:
    > Ever find a problem for this? I am having the same issues.. Nothing
    > works (safe mode, any of the menues, can't even type in a URL.. it's
    > completely dead)


    Bo, you replied to an old post. At least on the server from which I
    access this groups, the old posts are expired. Since you did not quote
    any relevant text, I have no real idea what you are talking about anymore.

    Could you restate the issue, preferably in a new thread?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 15, 2004
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    690
    Silverstrand
    Oct 24, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?TW9yZGlkbw==?=

    Wireless Linksys Router Reset--What happened?

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9yZGlkbw==?=, Oct 8, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,199
    Li'l Roberto
    Oct 8, 2004
  3. nikoli

    Something Crazy Happened !!!

    nikoli, Dec 12, 2003, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    508
    nikoli
    Dec 12, 2003
  4. Linda Leverno

    Wot has happened to FireBird

    Linda Leverno, Jul 10, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    579
    Moz Champion
    Jul 10, 2004
  5. Guest

    Re: what happened?

    Guest, Jul 17, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,064
    Guest
    Jul 17, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page