Firefox ...............[Web Browser] opens multipe tabs ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by 'Ole, Aug 21, 2006.

  1. 'Ole

    'Ole Guest

    I use Firefox to browse with; it was one of the first to have the advantage
    of having a tool bar with multiple web pages open , via "tabs"

    Thje problem is that regardless of the number of tabs I have open at one
    time [2,4,6,or 8] it at some time, opens the same tabs up again; so it I
    have 4 tabs setup as my default setting, eventuallt it will open them all up
    a second time, giving me 8 open. The result is that it then sucks up huge
    meory and slows everything down...big time.

    Any pointers here ?

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards....'Ole

    'Ole, Aug 21, 2006

  2. 'Ole

    samuel Guest

    "'Ole" <> wrote in

    > I use Firefox to browse with; it was one of the first to have
    > the advantage of having a tool bar with multiple web pages
    > open , via "tabs"

    ask at a mozilla news group too

    samuel, Aug 21, 2006

  3. 'Ole

    richard Guest

    "'Ole" <> wrote in message
    >I use Firefox to browse with; it was one of the first to have the advantage
    >of having a tool bar with multiple web pages open , via "tabs"
    >
    > Thje problem is that regardless of the number of tabs I have open at one
    > time [2,4,6,or 8] it at some time, opens the same tabs up again; so it I
    > have 4 tabs setup as my default setting, eventuallt it will open them all
    > up a second time, giving me 8 open. The result is that it then sucks up
    > huge meory and slows everything down...big time.
    >

    > Any pointers here ?

    Actually, there was another browser that had tabbed windows before firefox
    but it's popularity was low.
    The main reason for FF having the following it does, it renders websites
    correctly unlike IE.

    Try resetting your defaults in options to what they were originally.

    You might want to ask in the firefox help support areas on their website.

    richard, Aug 21, 2006
  4. 'Ole

    John Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Actually, there was another browser that had tabbed windows before firefox

    He said "one of the first", not "the first".

    John, Aug 21, 2006
  5. 'Ole

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "'Ole" <> wrote in

    > I use Firefox to browse with; it was one of the first to have the
    > advantage of having a tool bar with multiple web pages open , via "tabs"

    FYI Firefox is very far from being the first tabbed browser:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabbed_browsing

    I've been using Avant for probably close to 2 years before Firefox even existed.

    Fuzzy Logic, Aug 21, 2006
  6. Fuzzy Logic wrote:

    > "'Ole" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I use Firefox to browse with; it was one of the first to have the
    >> advantage of having a tool bar with multiple web pages open , via
    >> "tabs"

    > FYI Firefox is very far from being the first tabbed browser:

    Again, he said "one of the first"...

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabbed_browsing
    >
    > I've been using Avant for probably close to 2 years before Firefox
    > even existed.

    Looks as if early (and even the current) Avant versions were MDI, not
    TDI, just like the Opera it was cloned from.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avant_Browser

    In fact, their own page calls it MDI.
    http://www.avantbrowser.com/faq.html

    <quote>
    How does Avant Browser improve Internet browsing?

    Avant Browser is an Application built with MDI
    (Multiple-Document-Interface) technology. With MDI technology, fewer
    system resources are used, web page loading is faster, and all opened
    pages can be easily controlled at user's pleasure.
    </quote>

    Aside: why do you want to use a browser that is a shell on top of IE?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 21, 2006
  7. 'Ole

    'Ole Guest

    yep, I've scanned the FF help sites with no joy; I figurd that i can't be
    the only sap experienceing this problem.

    thanx...'Ole

    'Ole, Aug 22, 2006
  8. 'Ole

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in news:R8pGg.282151$mF2.229014
    @bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    > Fuzzy Logic wrote:
    >
    >> "'Ole" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I use Firefox to browse with; it was one of the first to have the
    >>> advantage of having a tool bar with multiple web pages open , via
    >>> "tabs"

    >> FYI Firefox is very far from being the first tabbed browser:

    > Again, he said "one of the first"...
    >
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabbed_browsing
    >>
    >> I've been using Avant for probably close to 2 years before Firefox
    >> even existed.

    > Looks as if early (and even the current) Avant versions were MDI, not
    > TDI, just like the Opera it was cloned from.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avant_Browser
    >
    > In fact, their own page calls it MDI.
    > http://www.avantbrowser.com/faq.html
    >
    ><quote>
    > How does Avant Browser improve Internet browsing?
    >
    > Avant Browser is an Application built with MDI
    > (Multiple-Document-Interface) technology. With MDI technology, fewer
    > system resources are used, web page loading is faster, and all opened
    > pages can be easily controlled at user's pleasure.
    ></quote>

    I'm not sure what your point is? Both MDI and TDI have their pros and cons:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabbed_document_interface

    > Aside: why do you want to use a browser that is a shell on top of IE?

    Because I like it! I don't need to install numerous plugins to get the features I want. I have tried many tabbed
    browsers including Firefox, Opera and Maxthon and always come back to Avant.

    Fuzzy Logic, Aug 22, 2006