FIrefox wants top open images in app, not in firefox

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Nov 17, 2008.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    Firefox 3.0.4, XP Pro, but it's done this as long as I can remember...

    Some google searches and some other pages, FireFox won't open a image
    - for example,
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=indian police&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
    the fourth image on the top row "The all-female Indian police ...400 x
    300 - 42k - jpg", when I click on the image, FF prompts me to Open it
    - "What should FireFox do with this file?"

    Any ideas why it does this for some (not all) images? I'd rather it
    just obviously display in the browser.

    That appears to be the only one on that particular page of searches
    that does it.

    Thanks.

    Evan Platt, Nov 17, 2008

  2. Evan Platt

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > Firefox 3.0.4, XP Pro, but it's done this as long as I can
    > remember...
    >
    > Some google searches and some other pages, FireFox won't
    > open a image - for example,
    > http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=indian police&um=1
    > &ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi the fourth image on the top row "The
    > all-female Indian police ...400 x 300 - 42k - jpg", when I
    > click on the image, FF prompts me to Open it - "What should
    > FireFox do with this file?"
    >
    > Any ideas why it does this for some (not all) images? I'd
    > rather it just obviously display in the browser.
    >
    > That appears to be the only one on that particular page of
    > searches that does it.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I only used FF (v2) for a very short while, I don't like it,
    BUT.

    Look at the "view source code" or whatever FF calls it.

    It's possible that image is not a JPG but a JPE or a JPEG or
    even a gif (I have OFTEN run into images tagged wrong, although
    usually jpg's are given gif extensions). SOME images are given
    the .php extension !!!!!

    It's possible that those other types for some reason are not
    "preset" to open within the browser.

    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)

    thanatoid, Nov 17, 2008

  3. Evan Platt

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:10:14 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >Firefox 3.0.4, XP Pro, but it's done this as long as I can remember...
    >
    >Some google searches and some other pages, FireFox won't open a image
    >- for example,
    >http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=indian police&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
    >the fourth image on the top row "The all-female Indian police ...400 x
    >300 - 42k - jpg", when I click on the image, FF prompts me to Open it
    >- "What should FireFox do with this file?"
    >
    >Any ideas why it does this for some (not all) images? I'd rather it
    >just obviously display in the browser.
    >
    >That appears to be the only one on that particular page of searches
    >that does it.
    >
    >Thanks.

    One of the reasons I ditched 3 and went back to 2.
    It would be nice if the google would learn how to code properly.
    I've never seen such a thing as < font color> tag in html.

    richard, Nov 17, 2008
  4. richard wrote:

    > It would be nice if the google would learn how to code properly.
    > I've never seen such a thing as < font color> tag in html.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 17, 2008
  5. Evan Platt

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:08:43 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >
    >> It would be nice if the google would learn how to code properly.
    >> I've never seen such a thing as < font color> tag in html.

    Uh nope sorry. That is not proper code.
    The actual deprecated tag is <font>.
    The proper way is to show <p style="color:red;">

    The validator at w3c.org tossed out 320 errors.

    richard, Nov 17, 2008
  6. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> It would be nice if the google would learn how to code properly.
    >>> I've never seen such a thing as < font color> tag in html.

    > Uh nope sorry. That is not proper code.

    It certainly is proper, depending on DOCTYPE.

    > The actual deprecated tag is <font>.

    ...which is the example I gave you, that you said you'd never seen. Prior
    to HTML 4.01 Strict, it was correct. It is still valid in 4.01
    Transitional.

    Of course it is deprecated. Do you think I didn't know that? You asked
    about, and said you never saw "<font color> tag", so I gave you an
    example.

    > The proper way is to show <p style="color:red;">

    Sure, for modern code...

    > The validator at w3c.org tossed out 320 errors.

    What, for one of your pages?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 17, 2008
  7. Evan Platt

    catchme Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > Firefox 3.0.4, XP Pro, but it's done this as long as I can remember...
    >
    > Some google searches and some other pages, FireFox won't open a image
    > - for example,
    > http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=indian police&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
    > the fourth image on the top row "The all-female Indian police ...400 x
    > 300 - 42k - jpg", when I click on the image, FF prompts me to Open it
    > - "What should FireFox do with this file?"
    >
    > Any ideas why it does this for some (not all) images? I'd rather it
    > just obviously display in the browser.
    >
    > That appears to be the only one on that particular page of searches
    > that does it.
    >
    > Thanks.

    i have no trouble viewing the site you linked, including ALL of the pics.
    I even double clicked on the specific image you specified, and was able
    to view it within the browser window, without loading any apps.

    catchme, Nov 17, 2008