    attraction to Firefox is just that it's similar to Opera - but free. Is this
    the case, or is something else afoot?

    --fresh

    fresh, Sep 15, 2004

  2. fresh

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 9/15/2004 1:52 AM fresh wrote:
    > I apologise if this has been asked before - I did check the archives, but I
    > couldn't see anything.
    >
    > Has anyone done a direct comparison between Opera and Firefox? If not, has
    > anyone had experience with both and can offer insight into the pros and cons
    > of each?
    >
    > I've been a loyal Opera user for some time, and I'm unsure as to whether the
    > attraction to Firefox is just that it's similar to Opera - but free. Is this
    > the case, or is something else afoot?

    I don't think Firefox resembles Opera at all. Wouldn't Mozilla closer
    resemble the Opera style interface? Firefox is just a browser... last
    time I used Opera (which I seriously disliked), it included email, and a
    browser.

    Since it's free, why don't you download FF and see for yourself? Rather
    than rely on other users' personal opinions to make your decision?

    --
    Brian

    .BRIAN., Sep 15, 2004

  3. > Has anyone done a direct comparison between Opera and Firefox? If not, has
    > anyone had experience with both and can offer insight into the pros and cons
    > of each?

    Not really a direct comparison, as Firefox doesn't have mail.

    > I've been a loyal Opera user for some time, and I'm unsure as to whether the
    > attraction to Firefox is just that it's similar to Opera - but free. Is this
    > the case, or is something else afoot?

    Firefox is far superior in my eyes. Opera is very bloated. Trying to do
    everything and not doing any of it very well.
    (of course Opera is still a 1000 times better than IE, but then no-one
    ever compares anything with IE.there's no point <g>)
    Mozilla, which is a better comparison, is much lighter on the ground,
    and of course is free. Tabbed browsing is definitely better is moz than
    Opera. And the Adblock extension basically sells it for me. Nothing else
    comes close.
    The Firefox and Thunderbird team is my personal choice, and wouldn't
    change. Firefox is just a browse and isn't trying to be anything else.
    The same with thunderbird: mail/newsgroups and nothing else. Both are
    therefore light and easy to use. And with all the available extensions
    they are very flexible.
    Unbloated and free.

    Thanks

    --
    Bryan

    Bryan Harrison, Sep 15, 2004
  4. fresh

    fresh Guest

    ".BRIAN." <USER@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On 9/15/2004 1:52 AM fresh wrote:
    > > I apologise if this has been asked before - I did check the archives,

    but I
    > > couldn't see anything.
    > >
    > > Has anyone done a direct comparison between Opera and Firefox? If not,

    has
    > > anyone had experience with both and can offer insight into the pros and

    cons
    > > of each?
    > >
    > > I've been a loyal Opera user for some time, and I'm unsure as to whether

    the
    > > attraction to Firefox is just that it's similar to Opera - but free. Is

    this
    > > the case, or is something else afoot?
    > >

    > I don't think Firefox resembles Opera at all. Wouldn't Mozilla closer
    > resemble the Opera style interface? Firefox is just a browser... last
    > time I used Opera (which I seriously disliked), it included email, and a
    > browser.
    >
    > Since it's free, why don't you download FF and see for yourself? Rather
    > than rely on other users' personal opinions to make your decision?
    >
    > --
    > Brian

    Thanks for the tip.
    I did download it before I posted. I figured that it was what's under the
    hood that would count - rather than how pretty the interface was (which is
    even less of an issue when skins become involved). So my question was more
    based around speed and general performance / options or features; as opposed
    to asking for peoples personal opinions.
    But thanks for taking the time to post a reply,

    --fresh

    fresh, Sep 15, 2004
  5. fresh

    --BRIAN-- Guest

    fresh wrote:
    > ".BRIAN." <USER@127.0.0.1> wrote
    >> On 9/15/2004 1:52 AM fresh wrote:
    >>
    >>> I apologise if this has been asked before - I did check the
    >>> archives, but I couldn't see anything.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone done a direct comparison between Opera and Firefox? If
    >>> not, has anyone had experience with both and can offer insight
    >>> into the pros and cons of each?
    >>>
    >>> I've been a loyal Opera user for some time, and I'm unsure as to
    >>> whether the attraction to Firefox is just that it's similar to
    >>> Opera - but free. Is this the case, or is something else afoot?

    >> I don't think Firefox resembles Opera at all. Wouldn't Mozilla
    >> closer resemble the Opera style interface? Firefox is just a
    >> browser... last time I used Opera (which I seriously disliked), it
    >> included email, and a browser.
    >>
    >> Since it's free, why don't you download FF and see for yourself?
    >> Rather than rely on other users' personal opinions to make your
    >> decision?
    >>

    > Thanks for the tip. I did download it before I posted. I figured that
    > it was what's under the hood that would count - rather than how
    > pretty the interface was (which is even less of an issue when skins
    > become involved). So my question was more based around speed and
    > general performance / options or features; as opposed to asking for
    > peoples personal opinions. But thanks for taking the time to post a
    > reply,

    I think once you use Firefox for a little while, and install a few
    extensions, you will wonder what you ever saw in Opera. Having the
    ability to install extensions makes Firefox' options nearly endless. Go
    to the extension webpage and have a look around.

    From what I remember, Firefox was faster than Opera on my computer.
    Load time anyway.
    --
    Brian

    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email

    --BRIAN--, Sep 15, 2004
  6. fresh

    Keith Bowes Guest

    fresh wrote:
    > I apologise if this has been asked before - I did check the archives, but I
    > couldn't see anything.
    >
    > Has anyone done a direct comparison between Opera and Firefox? If not, has
    > anyone had experience with both and can offer insight into the pros and cons
    > of each?
    >
    > I've been a loyal Opera user for some time, and I'm unsure as to whether the
    > attraction to Firefox is just that it's similar to Opera - but free. Is this
    > the case, or is something else afoot?
    >
    > --fresh

    Entirely my opinion:

    Both support the standards of HTML, CSS and DOM very well (much better
    than IE and KHTML). Though Gecko (the core of Mozilla, Firefox, Camino,
    etc), the last time I checked, does better with quirkily-coded pages;
    however, Opera identifies itself as MSIE by default, so quirky detection
    scripts may work better.

    Firefox and Opera both have the "cute" and annoying (or modern, as they
    put it) user interface. Mozilla's is much better, more usable, less
    distracting... Though, it would be nice if the Modern theme were the
    default.

    Another plus with Mozilla/Firefox is that those annoying mouse gestures
    are an add-on rather than a compulsory "feature".

    Opera is smaller and starts faster, though the page rendering isn't as
    good. Mozilla and Firefox are open products, and so are more likely to
    get features more quickly and to survive, in some form, longer.

    Keith Bowes, Sep 15, 2004
  7. fresh

    Roy Pearson Guest

    I did use Thunderbird for awhile and found it far better than OE. The
    trouble was, I had to go back to OE because my virus checker, AVG didn't
    work with it otherwise I'd have stuck with it.

    Roy

    > Not really a direct comparison, as Firefox doesn't have mail.
    >
    > > I've been a loyal Opera user for some time, and I'm unsure as to whether

    the
    > > attraction to Firefox is just that it's similar to Opera - but free. Is

    this
    > > the case, or is something else afoot?

    > Firefox is far superior in my eyes. Opera is very bloated. Trying to do
    > everything and not doing any of it very well.
    > (of course Opera is still a 1000 times better than IE, but then no-one
    > ever compares anything with IE.there's no point <g>)
    > Mozilla, which is a better comparison, is much lighter on the ground,
    > and of course is free. Tabbed browsing is definitely better is moz than
    > Opera. And the Adblock extension basically sells it for me. Nothing else
    > comes close.
    > The Firefox and Thunderbird team is my personal choice, and wouldn't
    > change. Firefox is just a browse and isn't trying to be anything else.
    > The same with thunderbird: mail/newsgroups and nothing else. Both are
    > therefore light and easy to use. And with all the available extensions
    > they are very flexible.
    > Unbloated and free.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Bryan

    ---

    Roy Pearson, Sep 15, 2004
  8. fresh

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 9/15/2004 1:36 PM Roy Pearson wrote:
    > I did use Thunderbird for awhile and found it far better than OE. The
    > trouble was, I had to go back to OE because my virus checker, AVG didn't
    > work with it otherwise I'd have stuck with it.

    I see that thanks to the wonderful "Scanned by AVG" non-standard
    signature inserted <g> Who cares though? Why does AVG insist on
    scanning and attaching that stupid signature to plain text newsgroup
    messages? It's *plain text*.

    Are you using the free version of AVG? I believe the paid version
    allows you to scan email regardless of what client you are using.

    > ---

    I wish they'd change their signature.

    --
    Brian

    This message is not certified virus free...
    Not checked with Norton anti-virus system (http://www.symantec.com).
    Version 9.0.1.1000 / Virus Def. File: 9/15/2004 rev. 18

    .BRIAN., Sep 16, 2004
  9. fresh

    Moz Champion Guest

    ..BRIAN. wrote:

    > On 9/15/2004 1:36 PM Roy Pearson wrote:
    >
    >> I did use Thunderbird for awhile and found it far better than OE. The
    >> trouble was, I had to go back to OE because my virus checker, AVG didn't
    >> work with it otherwise I'd have stuck with it.

    > I see that thanks to the wonderful "Scanned by AVG" non-standard
    > signature inserted <g> Who cares though? Why does AVG insist on
    > scanning and attaching that stupid signature to plain text newsgroup
    > messages? It's *plain text*.
    >
    > Are you using the free version of AVG? I believe the paid version
    > allows you to scan email regardless of what client you are using.
    >
    >> ---

    > I wish they'd change their signature.

    My problem with such statements is, any virus sender can add the same or
    similar sigline to their messages just as easily, so how can you trust
    something like that?

    Besides, its checking on the wrong side <g>. To prevent virus infection
    you check INCOMING mail. If you practice safe hex, then you wouldnt ever
    have to check outgoing in the first place.

    My question is, does anyone with AVG or any other AV program 'trust'
    such a signature so that they DONT check the message at all? Even AVG
    checks messages IT sends back to itself for viruses... seems it doesnt
    even trust itself.

    Would you trust your computer to someone elses 'say so' that the message
    is virus free?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Sep 16, 2004
  10. Roy Pearson wrote:
    > I did use Thunderbird for awhile and found it far better than OE. The
    > trouble was, I had to go back to OE because my virus checker, AVG didn't
    > work with it otherwise I'd have stuck with it.

    That's only the free version. The paid-for version is mail client
    independent.
    But even if AVG can't scan the mails as they come in, it should still be
    clever enough to pick up a virus if you're silly enough to open
    something suspect.

    Bryan

    Bryan Harrison, Sep 16, 2004
  11. fresh

    Brian Guest

    (On 9/15/2004 1:36 PM) Roy Pearson wrote:
    > I did use Thunderbird for awhile and found it far better than OE. The
    > trouble was, I had to go back to OE because my virus checker, AVG didn't
    > work with it otherwise I'd have stuck with it.

    [snip]

    There is a plug-in for AVG that can handle all clients. It was only
    released as a Beta version supposedly. Apparently it isn't available
    "officially" anymore, but still works.

    Check it out and see if it works:
    [http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=18889&start=60]

    --
    Brian

    Email Info--
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    Brian, Sep 16, 2004
  12. fresh

    ron Guest

    To get back to the question: Firefox vs Opera (instead of TB vs OE), I
    like Opera better than Firefox. Especially the mousegestures and the
    tabbed browsing are my favourites.
    I know that FF has tabbed browsing to, but when I click on a link, FF
    always opens a new window instead of a tab within the existing window.
    So I get the same as in IE, a very busy taskbar. And I know that FF has
    mousegestures, but that requires a combination of the CTRL- and the
    right mouse-button.

    Then again, maybe I haven't figured out FF completely, so I just give it
    another chance, oke??

    Greetings,
    Ron

    ron, Sep 17, 2004
  13. > I know that FF has tabbed browsing to, but when I click on a link, FF
    > always opens a new window instead of a tab within the existing window.
    > So I get the same as in IE, a very busy taskbar.

    Tabbrowser Extensions. It makes the tabbing work as it should. And
    better than Opera.

    http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#tbe

    --
    Bryan

    Bryan Harrison, Sep 17, 2004
  14. fresh

    C.C. Baxter Guest

    ron wrote:
    > To get back to the question: Firefox vs Opera (instead of TB vs OE), I
    > like Opera better than Firefox. Especially the mousegestures and the
    > tabbed browsing are my favourites.
    > I know that FF has tabbed browsing to, but when I click on a link, FF
    > always opens a new window instead of a tab within the existing window.

    Do you know that if you click with the middle button (the mouse wheel,
    usually) you open the link in a new tab?

    --
    Buddy

    C.C. Baxter, Sep 17, 2004
  15. fresh

    ron Guest

    C.C. Baxter wrote:
    > ron wrote:
    >
    >> To get back to the question: Firefox vs Opera (instead of TB vs OE), I
    >> like Opera better than Firefox. Especially the mousegestures and the
    >> tabbed browsing are my favourites.
    >> I know that FF has tabbed browsing to, but when I click on a link, FF
    >> always opens a new window instead of a tab within the existing window.

    > Do you know that if you click with the middle button (the mouse wheel,
    > usually) you open the link in a new tab?
    >
    > --
    > Buddy

    Uhh....no.....gonna try it right now, thanks!!

    Ron

    ron, Sep 19, 2004
  16. fresh

    .brian. Guest

    ron wrote:
    > C.C. Baxter wrote:
    >> ron wrote:
    >>
    >>> To get back to the question: Firefox vs Opera (instead of TB vs OE),
    >>> I like Opera better than Firefox. Especially the mousegestures and
    >>> the tabbed browsing are my favourites.
    >>> I know that FF has tabbed browsing to, but when I click on a link, FF
    >>> always opens a new window instead of a tab within the existing window.

    >> Do you know that if you click with the middle button (the mouse wheel,
    >> usually) you open the link in a new tab?
    >>

    > Uhh....no.....gonna try it right now, thanks!!

    However, you have to enable that option in Mozilla suite. Also,
    middle-clicking on a tab closes it... Can open and close tabs very
    quickly ;-) There's an extension called MiniT that lets you move the
    tabs around like Opera.

    .brian., Sep 19, 2004