    out of 5 rounds.

    I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
    wins hands down.
    Flintstone, Oct 26, 2006

  2. In message <ehrb29$p27$>, Flintstone wrote:

    > I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
    > wins hands down.

    Obviously you haven't been spending enough time at this site
    <http://www.spreadinternetexplorer.com/> ...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 27, 2006

  3. Flintstone

    Chris Lim Guest

    Flintstone wrote:
    > What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
    > Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
    > out of 5 rounds.
    >
    > I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
    > wins hands down.

    The UI in IE7 sucks. I hate the way the toolbar buttons are seemingly
    randomly placed everywhere without the ability to customise them.

    Tabbed browsing is okay. About the only redeeming feature.
    Chris Lim, Oct 27, 2006
  4. Flintstone

    Chris Lim Guest

    Flintstone wrote:
    > What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
    > Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
    > out of 5 rounds.
    >
    > I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
    > wins hands down.

    Oh, and another thing MS should've stolen from Firefox is the leaving
    the little 'activity icon' (I dunno what it's called, the little pic
    that animates when a page is loading) on the top-right of the screen as
    well as on each tab.

    The main problem I have with the UI is that I'm never sure where to
    look for things. In some cases, it's on the tab (e.g. the Close button
    and the activity icon I mentioned above). In other cases it's on the
    toolbar (Back, Forward, Refresh, Stop). And in the latter case, some
    toolbar buttons are on the left of the screen, others are on the right.
    It just makes no sense! They need to go back to UI design school and
    remember some basics I think.
    Chris Lim, Oct 27, 2006
  5. Flintstone

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Flintstone wrote:
    > > What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
    > > Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
    > > out of 5 rounds.
    > >
    > > I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
    > > wins hands down.

    > Oh, and another thing MS should've stolen from Firefox is the leaving
    > the little 'activity icon' (I dunno what it's called, the little pic
    > that animates when a page is loading) on the top-right of the screen as
    > well as on each tab.
    >
    > The main problem I have with the UI is that I'm never sure where to
    > look for things. In some cases, it's on the tab (e.g. the Close button
    > and the activity icon I mentioned above). In other cases it's on the
    > toolbar (Back, Forward, Refresh, Stop). And in the latter case, some
    > toolbar buttons are on the left of the screen, others are on the right.
    > It just makes no sense! They need to go back to UI design school and
    > remember some basics I think.

    Personally, I think MS should've stolen features from Netcaptor - which
    leaves both browsers for dead, IMO.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 27, 2006
  6. Flintstone

    Richard Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > Flintstone wrote:
    >> What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
    >> Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
    >> out of 5 rounds.
    >>
    >> I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
    >> wins hands down.

    > The UI in IE7 sucks. I hate the way the toolbar buttons are seemingly
    > randomly placed everywhere without the ability to customise them.
    >
    > Tabbed browsing is okay. About the only redeeming feature.

    I would still like something in a browser to identify which tab is
    playing sound, and a method of killing that flash or whatever on its own.
    Richard, Oct 27, 2006
  7. Flintstone

    Vista Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > Flintstone wrote:
    >> What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
    >> Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
    >> out of 5 rounds.
    >>
    >> I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
    >> wins hands down.

    > Oh, and another thing MS should've stolen from Firefox is the leaving
    > the little 'activity icon' (I dunno what it's called, the little pic
    > that animates when a page is loading) on the top-right of the screen as
    > well as on each tab.
    >
    > The main problem I have with the UI is that I'm never sure where to
    > look for things. In some cases, it's on the tab (e.g. the Close button
    > and the activity icon I mentioned above). In other cases it's on the
    > toolbar (Back, Forward, Refresh, Stop). And in the latter case, some
    > toolbar buttons are on the left of the screen, others are on the right.
    > It just makes no sense! They need to go back to UI design school and
    > remember some basics I think.

    IE 7 seems to be a dumbed down browser. You can't even seem to move the menu
    bars around like you could in version 6. The address bar is too wide and the
    refresh and homepage buttons should be able to be moved around, as they are
    in a terrible place.
    Vista, Oct 27, 2006
  8. Here's a nifty new Firefox feature: microsummaries
    <http://wiki.mozilla.org/Microsummaries>. I wonder if IE7 supports that...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 27, 2006
  9. Flintstone

    Chris Lim Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > IE 7 seems to be a dumbed down browser.

    I think that Microsoft's new approach for UI's (e.g. Vista, Office
    2007). They seem to be taking away the structured menu-based approach
    which has served us so well and are replacing it with context-sensitive
    toolbars which are supposedly easier to use. While that may be the case
    for novice users, I for one find the lack of the standard menu makes it
    harder to get an overview of an application.

    I have this problem with the latest version of McAfee VirusScan. You
    can get to the same screen from various paths, so rather than having a
    Tools->Options menu item and a tabbed dialog-box from there you get to
    each screen through a series of task bars and I find it hard to get my
    head around exactly where everything is.

    I dunno, maybe I'm getting too old for this computer stuff....
    Chris Lim, Oct 27, 2006
  10. Flintstone

    Rob Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > Vista wrote:
    >> IE 7 seems to be a dumbed down browser.

    > I think that Microsoft's new approach for UI's (e.g. Vista, Office
    > 2007). They seem to be taking away the structured menu-based approach
    > which has served us so well and are replacing it with context-sensitive
    > toolbars which are supposedly easier to use. While that may be the case
    > for novice users, I for one find the lack of the standard menu makes it
    > harder to get an overview of an application.
    >
    > I have this problem with the latest version of McAfee VirusScan. You
    > can get to the same screen from various paths, so rather than having a
    > Tools->Options menu item and a tabbed dialog-box from there you get to
    > each screen through a series of task bars and I find it hard to get my
    > head around exactly where everything is.
    >
    > I dunno, maybe I'm getting too old for this computer stuff....

    Heh, me too. I really dislike vista's ui, but then I don't like xp's
    ui either, always running in it classic mode.

    --
    Rob

    http://grumpyalien.blogspot.com/
    Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...and the
    only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor. (Wernher von Braun)
    Rob, Oct 27, 2006
  11. Flintstone

    Chris Lim Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > Heh, me too. I really dislike vista's ui, but then I don't like xp's
    > ui either, always running in it classic mode.

    I find XP's UI is okay. I think we'll find Vista to be a massive jump
    though. I'll hold off upgrading as long as possible.

    Speaking of upgrading, I have just upgraded my version of IE, from
    version 7 to version 6. Version 6 is a huge improvement. A much much
    better UI (e.g. toolbar buttons are nicely laid out and are
    customisable) and also a huge performance increase.
    Chris Lim, Oct 28, 2006
  12. In message <ehrb29$p27$>, Flintstone wrote:

    > What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
    > Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
    > out of 5 rounds.
    >
    > I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
    > wins hands down.

    That seems to be the general opinion
    <http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3845725a28,00.html>. Interesting that
    Firefox was even able to achieve more downloads than IE7, at least for the
    first few days.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2006
  13. Flintstone

    Fran Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <ehrb29$p27$>, Flintstone wrote:
    >
    >> What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
    >> Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
    >> out of 5 rounds.
    >>
    >> I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
    >> wins hands down.

    > That seems to be the general opinion
    > <http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3845725a28,00.html>. Interesting that
    > Firefox was even able to achieve more downloads than IE7, at least for the
    > first few days.

    Firefox and IE are getting better but I still think they have a way to go to
    catch up with Opera.

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Nov 5, 2006