    Internet Explorer opens the file fine. But Firefox balks, saying "c is
    not a registered protocol"

    Any workaround? Thanks.

    hockeybuff, Nov 21, 2005

  2. hockeybuff

    Marc Guest

    hockeybuff wrote:
    > My homepage consists of a menu of bookmarks (created using PagePro).
    > Mostly because of curiosity, I decided to make one of the bookmarks
    > simply a file of more bookmarks, e.g. c:\morelinks.htm
    >
    > Internet Explorer opens the file fine. But Firefox balks, saying "c is
    > not a registered protocol"
    >
    > Any workaround? Thanks.

    When you use file-->Open file, and then click on a file, the result is:
    file:///X:/folder/file.ext
    So typing file:///c:/morelinks.htm should do the trick.

    Marc

    Marc, Nov 21, 2005

  3. hockeybuff

    Drodbar Guest

    I put it to you, hockeybuff, that on 21 Nov 2005 10:17:12 -0800 you did
    state the following;
    > My homepage consists of a menu of bookmarks (created using PagePro).
    > Mostly because of curiosity, I decided to make one of the bookmarks
    > simply a file of more bookmarks, e.g. c:\morelinks.htm
    >
    > Internet Explorer opens the file fine. But Firefox balks, saying "c is
    > not a registered protocol"
    >
    > Any workaround? Thanks.

    Try entering;

    file:///C:\morelinks.htm

    in the Firefox address bar. Then bookmark it.
    --
    Drodbar

    Drodbar, Nov 21, 2005
  4. hockeybuff

    hockeybuff Guest

    Worked perfectly!!! Thanks!

    hockeybuff, Nov 21, 2005
  5. hockeybuff

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-21, hockeybuff <> wrote:
    > My homepage consists of a menu of bookmarks (created using PagePro).
    > Mostly because of curiosity, I decided to make one of the bookmarks
    > simply a file of more bookmarks, e.g. c:\morelinks.htm
    >
    > Internet Explorer opens the file fine. But Firefox balks, saying "c is
    > not a registered protocol"

    Well, it isn't!

    > Any workaround? Thanks.

    Try the standard protocol for local files, ie file:// or file://localhost/

    If you click on the 'File - Open' menu in your browser's toolbar, and load
    the file you want that way, you should see in the address bar what URL
    would work.

    If the 'homepage' you are talking about is an HTML document, then I think
    you'll need to encode the URL for morelinks.htm in the same way as you do
    other URLs, in the code for that page.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 21, 2005
  6. hockeybuff

    hockeybuff Guest

    I did precisely what you suggested in the last paragraph -- encoding
    the URL for morelinks.htm in the same way ... -- and it only opened in
    Internet Explorer. Using the standard protocol for local files worked
    perfectly in BOTH browsers.

    This setup will allow for layered bookmarks.

    hockeybuff, Nov 21, 2005