    used to.

    What is causing this problem and is there a fix?
    Thanks.

    Roky, Aug 26, 2010

  2. On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:44:41 -0700 (PDT), Roky <>
    wrote:

    >After being on a while Firefox will be using about 50 percent CPU
    >according to windows task manager and then my computer fan starts
    >running faster and making more noise.
    >If i close out the firefox window by the red x in the upper right hand
    >corner, it still is shown using 50 percent CPU, only when i close it
    >out from the Windows task manager does it actually shut down and then
    >CPU use drops to ten percent or less and the fan slows down.
    >
    >I do not have this problem with Netscape, but I prefer firefox, or
    >used to.
    >
    >What is causing this problem and is there a fix?
    >Thanks.

    delete all cookies, history, etc. Also try disabling all add-ons.

    What version of firefox are you running? Is it updated to the latest
    version?

    Did this problem start right after you installed any software on the
    PC?

    BinaryBillThe Sailor@Sea++.com, Aug 26, 2010

  3. Roky

    housetrained Guest

    "BinaryBillThe Sailor@Sea++.com" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:44:41 -0700 (PDT), Roky <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>After being on a while Firefox will be using about 50 percent CPU
    >>according to windows task manager and then my computer fan starts
    >>running faster and making more noise.
    >>If i close out the firefox window by the red x in the upper right hand
    >>corner, it still is shown using 50 percent CPU, only when i close it
    >>out from the Windows task manager does it actually shut down and then
    >>CPU use drops to ten percent or less and the fan slows down.
    >>
    >>I do not have this problem with Netscape, but I prefer firefox, or
    >>used to.
    >>
    >>What is causing this problem and is there a fix?
    >>Thanks.

    > delete all cookies, history, etc. Also try disabling all add-ons.
    >
    > What version of firefox are you running? Is it updated to the latest
    > version?
    >
    > Did this problem start right after you installed any software on the
    > PC?

    sounds more like a major corruption or even a virus to me - but probably a
    major corruption. I would start by uninstalling Firefox and then restart the
    computer and install Firefox again. Does the problem still occur? if yes try
    a system restore to before the problem started.
    How'd you get on?
    --
    John the West Ham fan

    <><

    housetrained, Aug 26, 2010
  4. "housetrained" <> wrote in message
    > "BinaryBillThe Sailor@Sea++.com" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:44:41 -0700 (PDT), Roky <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>After being on a while Firefox will be using about 50 percent CPU
    >>>according to windows task manager and then my computer fan starts
    >>>running faster and making more noise.
    >>>If i close out the firefox window by the red x in the upper right hand
    >>>corner, it still is shown using 50 percent CPU, only when i close it
    >>>out from the Windows task manager does it actually shut down and then
    >>>CPU use drops to ten percent or less and the fan slows down.
    >>>
    >>>I do not have this problem with Netscape, but I prefer firefox, or
    >>>used to.
    >>>
    >>>What is causing this problem and is there a fix?
    >>>Thanks.

    >> delete all cookies, history, etc. Also try disabling all add-ons.
    >>
    >> What version of firefox are you running? Is it updated to the latest
    >> version?
    >>
    >> Did this problem start right after you installed any software on the
    >> PC?
    >>

    > sounds more like a major corruption or even a virus to me - but probably a
    > major corruption.

    That's my guess as well.

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 26, 2010
  5. Roky

    Roky Guest

    On Aug 26, 11:28 am, "housetrained" <> wrote:
    > "BinaryBillThe Sai...@Sea++.com" wrote in message

    > > On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:44:41 -0700 (PDT), Roky <>
    > > wrote:

    > >>After being on a while Firefox will be using about 50 percent CPU
    > >>according to windows task manager and then my computer fan starts
    > >>running faster and making more noise.
    > >>If i close out the firefox window by the red x in the upper right hand
    > >>corner, it still is shown using 50 percent CPU, only when i close it
    > >>out from the Windows task manager does it actually shut down and then
    > >>CPU use drops to ten percent or less and the fan slows down.

    > >>I do not have this problem with Netscape, but I prefer firefox, or
    > >>used to.

    > >>What is causing this problem and is there a fix?
    > >>Thanks.

    > > delete all cookies, history, etc. Also try disabling all add-ons.

    > > What version of firefox are you running? Is it updated to the latest
    > > version?

    > > Did this problem start right after you installed any software on the
    > > PC?

    > sounds more like a major corruption or even a virus to me - but probably a
    > major corruption. I would start by uninstalling Firefox and then restart the
    > computer and install Firefox again. Does the problem still occur? if yes try
    > a system restore to before the problem started.
    > How'd you get on?
    > --
    > John the West Ham fan
    >

    > <><

    I did uninstall and reinstall firefox which didnt seem to make any
    difference.

    STRANGE THING NOW is it has been open all day with 9 tabs and is
    running under ten percent.
    only thing different is i have shut down 2 external hard drives, and
    have a blank new one connected.
    so maybe it has something to do with the ext hard drive, but why? i do
    use utorrent with the ext hard drive but
    when i shut down firefox the cpu goes back down to ten percent.

    Roky, Aug 27, 2010
  6. On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 20:23:30 -0700 (PDT), Roky <>
    wrote:

    >On Aug 26, 11:28 am, "housetrained" <> wrote:
    >> "BinaryBillThe Sai...@Sea++.com" wrote in message

    >> > delete all cookies, history, etc. Also try disabling all add-ons.

    >> > What version of firefox are you running? Is it updated to the latest
    >> > version?

    >> > Did this problem start right after you installed any software on the
    >> > PC?

    >> sounds more like a major corruption or even a virus to me - but probably a
    >> major corruption. I would start by uninstalling Firefox and then restart the
    >> computer and install Firefox again. Does the problem still occur? if yes try
    >> a system restore to before the problem started.
    >> How'd you get on?
    >> --
    >> John the West Ham fan
    >>

    >> <><

    >I did uninstall and reinstall firefox which didnt seem to make any
    >difference.
    >
    >STRANGE THING NOW is it has been open all day with 9 tabs and is
    >running under ten percent.
    >only thing different is i have shut down 2 external hard drives, and
    >have a blank new one connected.
    >so maybe it has something to do with the ext hard drive, but why? i do
    >use utorrent with the ext hard drive but
    >when i shut down firefox the cpu goes back down to ten percent.

    Uninstalling and re-installing firefox often just results in a fresh
    install of the original problem. When you uninstall it, Firefox
    retains all it's settings and registry entries and uses them when you
    reinstall. If the problem was from a corrupted component in firefox,
    you might fix it that way, but there are an awful lot of problems that
    just get passed along from install to install unless you do a rather
    involved removal of all traces of Firefox.

    A reinstall is quick and easy, so no harm, no foul.

    Have you run a complete virus scan on all drives while in safe mode?
    You mention utorrent, so that should be an automatic red flag.

    BinaryBillThe Sailor@Sea++.com, Aug 27, 2010
  7. Roky

    TeeJay1952 Guest

    > Uninstalling and re-installing firefox often just results in a fresh
    > install of the original problem. When you uninstall it, Firefox
    > retains all it's settings and registry entries and uses them when you
    > reinstall. If the problem was from a corrupted component in firefox,
    > you might fix it that way, but there are an awful lot of problems that
    > just get passed along from install to install unless you do a rather
    > involved removal of all traces of Firefox.
    >
    > A reinstall is quick and easy, so no harm, no foul.
    >
    > Have you run a complete virus scan on all drives while in safe mode?
    > You mention utorrent, so that should be an automatic red flag.

    Perhaps someone will write a "Firefox Clean" like Norton Clean or other
    uninstallers that comb registry and hard drive to delete remnants.
    Tee Jay

    TeeJay1952, Aug 27, 2010
  8. On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:00:50 -0400, TeeJay1952
    <> wrote:

    >> Uninstalling and re-installing firefox often just results in a fresh
    >> install of the original problem. When you uninstall it, Firefox
    >> retains all it's settings and registry entries and uses them when you
    >> reinstall. If the problem was from a corrupted component in firefox,
    >> you might fix it that way, but there are an awful lot of problems that
    >> just get passed along from install to install unless you do a rather
    >> involved removal of all traces of Firefox.
    >>
    >> A reinstall is quick and easy, so no harm, no foul.
    >>
    >> Have you run a complete virus scan on all drives while in safe mode?
    >> You mention utorrent, so that should be an automatic red flag.
    >>

    >Perhaps someone will write a "Firefox Clean" like Norton Clean or other
    >uninstallers that comb registry and hard drive to delete remnants.
    > Tee Jay

    I don't think, as a practical matter, there is really much need.

    The OP needs to figure out what is at the root of his problem. Even a
    complete removal and reinstall may not fix the problem, if it is a
    virus or some incompatability with something else. Many people are
    presently using BEAT versions of Firefox, so this may be an issue
    related to that. We don't know, because the OP gave scant information.

    BinaryBillThe Sailor@Sea++.com, Aug 27, 2010
  9. On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:11:42 -0400, BinaryBillThe Sailor@Sea++.com
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:00:50 -0400, TeeJay1952
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>> Uninstalling and re-installing firefox often just results in a fresh
    >>> install of the original problem. When you uninstall it, Firefox
    >>> retains all it's settings and registry entries and uses them when you
    >>> reinstall. If the problem was from a corrupted component in firefox,
    >>> you might fix it that way, but there are an awful lot of problems that
    >>> just get passed along from install to install unless you do a rather
    >>> involved removal of all traces of Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> A reinstall is quick and easy, so no harm, no foul.
    >>>
    >>> Have you run a complete virus scan on all drives while in safe mode?
    >>> You mention utorrent, so that should be an automatic red flag.
    >>>

    >>Perhaps someone will write a "Firefox Clean" like Norton Clean or other
    >>uninstallers that comb registry and hard drive to delete remnants.
    >> Tee Jay

    >I don't think, as a practical matter, there is really much need.
    >
    >The OP needs to figure out what is at the root of his problem. Even a
    >complete removal and reinstall may not fix the problem, if it is a
    >virus or some incompatability with something else. Many people are
    >presently using BEAT versions of Firefox, so this may be an issue
    >related to that. We don't know, because the OP gave scant information.

    excuse me ...BETA versions

    BinaryBillThe Sailor@Sea++.com, Aug 27, 2010
  10. Roky

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>,
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com scribeth thus
    >On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:00:50 -0400, TeeJay1952
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>> Uninstalling and re-installing firefox often just results in a fresh
    >>> install of the original problem. When you uninstall it, Firefox
    >>> retains all it's settings and registry entries and uses them when you
    >>> reinstall. If the problem was from a corrupted component in firefox,
    >>> you might fix it that way, but there are an awful lot of problems that
    >>> just get passed along from install to install unless you do a rather
    >>> involved removal of all traces of Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> A reinstall is quick and easy, so no harm, no foul.
    >>>
    >>> Have you run a complete virus scan on all drives while in safe mode?
    >>> You mention utorrent, so that should be an automatic red flag.
    >>>

    >>Perhaps someone will write a "Firefox Clean" like Norton Clean or other
    >>uninstallers that comb registry and hard drive to delete remnants.
    >> Tee Jay

    >I don't think, as a practical matter, there is really much need.
    >
    >The OP needs to figure out what is at the root of his problem. Even a
    >complete removal and reinstall may not fix the problem, if it is a
    >virus or some incompatability with something else. Many people are
    >presently using BEAT versions of Firefox, so this may be an issue
    >related to that. We don't know, because the OP gave scant information.

    Have you tried putting a query in at Firefox support or one of their
    forums?.

    I had this problem a while ago which was cured by a hard drive crash and
    the reinstall has been fine since:)...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Aug 27, 2010
  11. On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:00:21 +0100, tony sayer <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com scribeth thus

    >>>Perhaps someone will write a "Firefox Clean" like Norton Clean or other
    >>>uninstallers that comb registry and hard drive to delete remnants.
    >>> Tee Jay

    >>I don't think, as a practical matter, there is really much need.
    >>
    >>The OP needs to figure out what is at the root of his problem. Even a
    >>complete removal and reinstall may not fix the problem, if it is a
    >>virus or some incompatability with something else. Many people are
    >>presently using BEAT versions of Firefox, so this may be an issue
    >>related to that. We don't know, because the OP gave scant information.

    >Have you tried putting a query in at Firefox support or one of their
    >forums?.

    No, I haven't. But, what does that have to do with anything I've said
    in this thread?

    BinaryBillThe Sailor@Sea++.com, Aug 27, 2010
  12. Roky

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>,
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com scribeth thus
    >On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:00:21 +0100, tony sayer <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com scribeth thus

    >>>I don't think, as a practical matter, there is really much need.
    >>>
    >>>The OP needs to figure out what is at the root of his problem. Even a
    >>>complete removal and reinstall may not fix the problem, if it is a
    >>>virus or some incompatability with something else. Many people are
    >>>presently using BEAT versions of Firefox, so this may be an issue
    >>>related to that. We don't know, because the OP gave scant information.

    >>Have you tried putting a query in at Firefox support or one of their
    >>forums?.
    >>

    >No, I haven't. But, what does that have to do with anything I've said
    >in this thread?

    If I read that correctly the OP were having problems with Firefox and
    perhaps the best people to offer advice on that are those who wrote it
    in the first place?..
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Aug 27, 2010
  13. On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:54:16 +0100, tony sayer <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com scribeth thus
    >>On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:00:21 +0100, tony sayer <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>>BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com scribeth thus

    >>>Have you tried putting a query in at Firefox support or one of their
    >>>forums?.
    >>>

    >>No, I haven't. But, what does that have to do with anything I've said
    >>in this thread?
    >>

    >If I read that correctly the OP were having problems with Firefox and
    >perhaps the best people to offer advice on that are those who wrote it
    >in the first place?..

    He posted for advice HERE, Tony. I didn't. And you don't always call
    the engineering team who designed your car when the turn signal
    malfuntions, anyway. I think it is a bit early to escalate this to the
    design team for evaluation.

    The other problem with that approach is that most firefox users have
    modified their installations with third party add-ons. This is open
    source software.

    BinaryBillThe Sailor@Sea++.com, Aug 27, 2010
  14. Roky

    tony sayer Guest

    >>>No, I haven't. But, what does that have to do with anything I've said
    >>>in this thread?
    >>>

    >>If I read that correctly the OP were having problems with Firefox and
    >>perhaps the best people to offer advice on that are those who wrote it
    >>in the first place?..

    >He posted for advice HERE, Tony. I didn't.

    Yes, and I was making a valid suggestion..which wasn't aimed at your
    goodself..

    >And you don't always call
    >the engineering team who designed your car when the turn signal
    >malfuntions, anyway. I think it is a bit early to escalate this to the
    >design team for evaluation.

    Well it seems that there isn't as yet a definite answer for this one so
    perhaps someone who's that bit more involved with the programme may well
    have the answer..

    Don't really know why you should not raise the issue with them if you
    want to that is. I recently had a problem with VLC which was a bit
    obscure and someone on that forum knew what it was right away..

    >The other problem with that approach is that most firefox users have
    >modified their installations with third party add-ons. This is open
    >source software.

    More to the point then. Seems that they may well have seen this before..

    And might not have .. till U ask you'll never know..

    Anyways look on the bright side.. its stopped raining which is rather
    odd seeing thats its a bank holiday weekend;)..

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Aug 27, 2010
  15. Roky

    - Bobb - Guest

    1. Disable internet
    Open Firefox - still a problem ? or OK ?
    ( Checking" Is it network access or Firefox issue)
    OK while offline ?
    Ignore Firefox for now. Enable network
    open ANOTHER browser - same problem ?
    If so then it is not browser specific - that's all you need to determine for
    now.

    open firewall or Task Manager
    sort by CPU use
    What other app ( maybe java) is being used while you're idle ?

    OR
    2. With network on and browser open but idle - any network activity ?
    Install ZoneAlarm type app ( freeware)
    right-click on systray icon and choose STOP INTERNET
    and - check ZoneAlrm logfile - what app fails to connect to internet ?
    Why is that app trying to get to internet ( spyware etc ?)
    Run SPYBOTS and Ad-Aware
    http://download.cnet.com/windows/security-software/?tag=rb_content;contentNav

    - Bobb -, Aug 27, 2010