Firefox uninstall problem

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Trev67, Nov 20, 2005.

  1. Trev67

    Trev67 Guest

    My copy of Firefox 1.0.7 now "hangs" (i.e. "Not Responding") on
    start-up, ever since a power outage whilst using it.

    I have attempted to uninstall it properly, prior to re-installation, but
    to no avail. The "C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox" folder and all
    subfolders just will not disappear.

    I have tried manually deleting these folders, but when I try deleting
    ".../Mozilla Firefox/chrome" and ".../Mozilla Firefox/extensions", an
    error message says "Cannot remove content: It is being used by another
    person or program".

    Something somewhere appears to be corrupted - if anyone has any ideas on
    how I can rescue Firefox I would be very grateful, as I really don't
    want to go back to IE if I can help it.

    Help!!

    --
    Reclaim Your Inbox!

    Trev67, Nov 20, 2005

  2. On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:51:12 GMT, in alt.fan.mozilla, Trev67
    <>, by way of Message-id
    <4l5gf.24840$>, wrote:

    >My copy of Firefox 1.0.7 now "hangs" (i.e. "Not Responding") on
    >start-up, ever since a power outage whilst using it.

    [snip]

    On the below, snipped, I'm no good, but perhaps these url's may come
    in handy (the company's product has protected me since 1995).

    http://www.apcc.com/
    http://www.apcc.com/index.cfm?ISOCountryCode=gb

    Vrodok the Troll, Nov 20, 2005

  3. Trev67

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth Trev67 <> in news:4l5gf.24840$c66.1807
    @newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

    > Help!!

    What OS are you using?

    --
    | "There's no telling what new harm Bush might |
    | do if he ever gets back up off the mat. |

    Tom Betz, Nov 20, 2005
  4. Trev67 wrote:

    > My copy of Firefox 1.0.7 now "hangs" (i.e. "Not Responding") on
    > start-up, ever since a power outage whilst using it.
    >
    > I have attempted to uninstall it properly, prior to re-installation, but
    > to no avail. The "C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox" folder and all
    > subfolders just will not disappear.
    >
    > I have tried manually deleting these folders, but when I try deleting
    > ".../Mozilla Firefox/chrome" and ".../Mozilla Firefox/extensions", an
    > error message says "Cannot remove content: It is being used by another
    > person or program".
    >
    > Something somewhere appears to be corrupted - if anyone has any ideas on
    > how I can rescue Firefox I would be very grateful, as I really don't
    > want to go back to IE if I can help it.
    >
    > Help!!

    I echo the request to specify your OS.

    Go into your profile folder, and look for a file called parent.lock.
    If you find it, delete it. You might be able to start FF normally, and
    you should be able to delete it from Add/Remove.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 21, 2005