Firefox tweaker

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    phstpok wrote:
    > http://www.emilsoft.net/products/?select=firetweaker
    >
    > Good little program tweaks all sorts of settings (including lot faster
    >
    > Rob

    What's good about it? It needs .NET to run; therefore it will only work
    on some versions of Firefox.

    Why don't people develop tools that work with all versions of Firefox?
    -=rjh=-, Apr 20, 2005

  2. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    phstpok wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> phstpok wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.emilsoft.net/products/?select=firetweaker
    >>>
    >>> Good little program tweaks all sorts of settings (including lot
    >>> faster loading)
    >>>
    >>> Rob

    >> What's good about it? It needs .NET to run; therefore it will only
    >> work on some versions of Firefox.
    >>
    >> Why don't people develop tools that work with all versions of Firefox?

    > I decided a while back that I will only use full releases of software as
    > beta/nightly builds etc., have truely fscked up my puter many times. I
    > went against my own good sense recently when Microslop updates screwed
    > up f/fox1.02, so d/l a couple of builds which just took up disk space
    > and hogged my processor. Firefox 1.03 came along and everything is sweet
    > again.
    >
    > This is a windows box, so ff has to run on it anyway. So what if it
    > requires .net. Maybe MS is the evil empire, but it does me at the moment.
    >
    > I'm not against Linux. In fact I'm an ex unix admin (Ultrix, Solaris,
    > Digital, netbsd, freebsd, Irix) and I have a couple of boxes loaded up
    > with various flavours of linux, but for everyday usage I'll stick with
    > the evil empire.
    >
    > When I can set up a linux box for my 82 yr old dad to use (which I'm
    > trying to do now with puppy) where all he has to do is point and click
    > as with a windows box, and he is not liable to get himself into too much
    > trouble if he follows a simple set of maintenance instructions, then
    > maybe linux is coming of age for the average user. But it aint quite
    > there yet.
    >
    > Rob (with flame suit at the ready)

    Sorry, this isn't a Linux vs Microsoft thing (and I *really* do not care
    which one gets used most) - it is more that FF has been developed for
    multiple platforms; developers are of course free to do what they want,
    but it just seems short sighted to me, to put in the effort to develop a
    tool that only partially supports FF and even then on only a subset of
    one OS. Why not do the job properly, surely it wouldn't take any longer.
    I think having uniformity in FF everywhere it is used has real merit.

    BTW FF1.0.3 seems to have stuffed up some of my mouse gestures, which is
    annoying; also, I'm finding some websites are no longer navigable using
    it - but maybe my particular installation of FF is broken.
    -=rjh=-, Apr 20, 2005

  3. phstpok said the following on 21/04/2005 7:44 p.m.:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> phstpok wrote:

    > When I can set up a linux box for my 82 yr old dad to use (which I'm
    > trying to do now with puppy) where all he has to do is point and click
    > as with a windows box, and he is not liable to get himself into too much
    > trouble if he follows a simple set of maintenance instructions, then
    > maybe linux is coming of age for the average user. But it aint quite
    > there yet.
    >
    > Rob (with flame suit at the ready)

    I have two lawyers (Ludites) and a receptionist/office manager running
    on Linux doing WP, Presentations, database lookups etc and no issues, in
    fact if you asked them what OS they where using they would probably say
    windows they know so little about it. They even have a vertical market
    package running on Linux (Lexis Nexis). They exchange MS Documents etc
    with other lawyers seamlessly and with no problems. OSS is not 100%
    there but its pretty dam close.

    They dont care what it is so long as it works and is simple, and it is
    so easy to lock down that they cant really **** it up (nor anyone else
    for that matter).

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Apr 20, 2005
  4. -=rjh=-

    phstpok Guest

    phstpok, Apr 21, 2005
  5. -=rjh=-

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:29:35 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > it is more that FF has been developed for
    > multiple platforms; developers are of course free to do what they want,

    There you have given yourself the answer. Humans do silly things at times
    in the name of who and whatever.

    > but it just seems short sighted to me, to put in the effort to develop a
    > tool that only partially supports FF and even then on only a subset of
    > one OS. Why not do the job properly, surely it wouldn't take any longer.

    Maybe it would/does take longer.

    > I think having uniformity in FF everywhere it is used has real merit.

    Good grief, you do mean a standard?!

    Open Source Software means that people have the freedom to do with as they
    wish. The result is that all sorts of things are done. Some are valuable
    to a few, some die out of the starting blocks, others die somewhere else,
    others fizz so well and become so yesterday, others start of slowly
    and a very distant bulls eye is the target. It is blown away by one of the
    best developments in the software evolution.

    Let people evolve the FireFox code in their way. Something better is bound
    to emerge.

    Think about this, Firefox arose from the code that Netscape tossed out
    into the Open Source arena in 1998, after it saw little value in $ terms,
    in it.
    Gordon, Apr 21, 2005
  6. -=rjh=-

    phstpok Guest

    phstpok, Apr 21, 2005
  7. In article <4266296c$>, -=rjh=- <>
    wrote:

    >phstpok wrote:
    >> http://www.emilsoft.net/products/?select=firetweaker
    >>
    >> Good little program tweaks all sorts of settings (including lot faster

    >What's good about it? It needs .NET to run; therefore it will only work
    >on some versions of Firefox.

    Won't it work under Mono on Linux?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 25, 2005