Firefox tweak program

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PseUDO, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    PseUDO, Jun 25, 2005

  2. In article <42bd1d1e$>, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >Anyone else using "Firetune" to tweak firefox??
    >http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm
    >
    >Makes quite a diffference to web browsing, well worth the download, and
    >it's free :)

    about:config is freer--nothing to download. :)
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 25, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > >Anyone else using "Firetune" to tweak firefox??
    > >http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm
    > >
    > >Makes quite a diffference to web browsing, well worth the download, and
    > >it's free :)

    > about:config is freer--nothing to download. :)

    Except that you would have to be a Geek (First Class, with Triple Oak
    Cluster) to understand what all that stuff is about. :-(

    --

    Chas Right
    Charlie Right, Jun 26, 2005
  4. PseUDO

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:59:52 +1200, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >Anyone else using "Firetune" to tweak firefox??
    >http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm
    >
    >Makes quite a diffference to web browsing, well worth the download, and
    >it's free :)

    Tried it. Makes noticeable difference. Propellor-heads can do it the
    other way.
    GraB, Jun 26, 2005
  5. PseUDO

    -=rjh=- Guest

    PseUDO wrote:
    > Anyone else using "Firetune" to tweak firefox??
    > http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm
    >
    > Makes quite a diffference to web browsing,

    You got that right! After using this, Firefox failed to start
    properly=no web browsing :)

    Make sure you back up your configuration before using. Otherwise you'll
    need to reinstall FF to get a functional browser again (don't worry,
    your bookmarks etc will be retained).

    Just a list of settings that this app changes would be helpful - I like
    to know what is going on.
    -=rjh=-, Jun 26, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:59:52 +1200, PseUDO <> wrote:
    >
    > >Anyone else using "Firetune" to tweak firefox??
    > >http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm
    > >
    > >Makes quite a diffference to web browsing, well worth the download, and
    > >it's free :)

    > Tried it. Makes noticeable difference. Propellor-heads can do it the
    > other way.

    Incidentally: Anyone know how to change/determine the location of the
    Firefox cache? No setting seems to exist, and there's nothing in the
    docs that I could find.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jun 26, 2005
  7. PseUDO

    mark Guest

    -=rjh=- <> wrote in news::

    > PseUDO wrote:
    >> Anyone else using "Firetune" to tweak firefox??
    >> http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm
    >>
    >> Makes quite a diffference to web browsing,

    > You got that right! After using this, Firefox failed to start
    > properly=no web browsing :)
    >
    > Make sure you back up your configuration before using. Otherwise

    you'll
    > need to reinstall FF to get a functional browser again (don't worry,
    > your bookmarks etc will be retained).
    >
    > Just a list of settings that this app changes would be helpful - I

    like
    > to know what is going on.

    Probably basic settings like network.http.pipelining,
    network.http.proxy.pipelining and network.http.pipelining.maxrequests.

    You can manually edit them via typing in about:config in the address
    bar.

    Cheers,
    Mark

    --
    ---

    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
    Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?

    mark, Jun 26, 2005
  8. PseUDO

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:29:50 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:59:52 +1200, PseUDO <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Anyone else using "Firetune" to tweak firefox??
    >> >http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm
    >> >
    >> >Makes quite a diffference to web browsing, well worth the download, and
    >> >it's free :)

    >> Tried it. Makes noticeable difference. Propellor-heads can do it the
    >> other way.

    >Incidentally: Anyone know how to change/determine the location of the
    >Firefox cache? No setting seems to exist, and there's nothing in the
    >docs that I could find.
    >
    >-P.

    This is mine:

    in prefs.js (in your Profiles\****.default folder), add line

    user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory", "E:\\Firefox Cache");

    in user.js (create in notepad of you don't have one yet)

    // Path to Cache folder:
    user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory","E:\\Firefox Cache");
    GraB, Jun 26, 2005
  9. PseUDO

    Adam Guest

    On 26 Jun 2005 13:17:46 +0200, mark wrote:

    >Probably basic settings like network.http.pipelining,
    >network.http.proxy.pipelining and network.http.pipelining.maxrequests.
    >
    >You can manually edit them via typing in about:config in the address
    >bar.

    True - if you even knew what they *mean* ;-)

    I haven't a clue - so a simple "tick this box to go faster" has a
    certain appeal. Mind you - I don't understand fuel-injection either!

    Adam.
    Adam, Jun 26, 2005
  10. -=rjh=- wrote:
    > PseUDO wrote:
    >> Anyone else using "Firetune" to tweak firefox??
    >> http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm

    > Just a list of settings that this app changes would be helpful - I like
    > to know what is going on.

    Read the help file, it's all there.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jun 26, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:29:50 +1200, Peter Huebner
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> Tried it. Makes noticeable difference. Propellor-heads can do it the
    > >> other way.

    > >Incidentally: Anyone know how to change/determine the location of the
    > >Firefox cache? No setting seems to exist, and there's nothing in the
    > >docs that I could find.
    > >
    > >-P.

    > This is mine:
    >
    > in prefs.js (in your Profiles\****.default folder), add line
    >
    > user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory", "E:\\Firefox Cache");
    >
    > in user.js (create in notepad of you don't have one yet)
    >
    > // Path to Cache folder:
    > user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory","E:\\Firefox Cache");

    Most excellent, thank you. I had looked through prefs.js and not found
    anything that rings a bell (so, yes, I worked out where the cache is
    currently located after some thought) but this is just what I need.

    thanks again, -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jun 26, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    Charlie Right <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> >Anyone else using "Firetune" to tweak firefox??
    >> >http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm
    >> >
    >> >Makes quite a diffference to web browsing, well worth the download, and
    >> >it's free :)

    >> about:config is freer--nothing to download. :)

    >Except that you would have to be a Geek (First Class, with Triple Oak
    >Cluster) to understand what all that stuff is about. :-(

    Funny you say that, when Windows-oriented magazines regularly publish
    tutorials on how to do Windows Registry edits, which one would think
    would be far more geekitude-intensive than Firefox's about:config. After
    all, if you stuff up Windows' Registry, you can render your system
    unbootable short of a hard drive reformat and reinstall, whereas if you
    stuff up Firefox's about:config, you can recover by simply deleting or
    renaming your prefs.js and starting again.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 28, 2005
  13. PseUDO

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Charlie Right <> wrote:

    >>>about:config is freer--nothing to download. :)

    >>Except that you would have to be a Geek (First Class, with Triple Oak
    >>Cluster) to understand what all that stuff is about. :-(

    > Funny you say that, when Windows-oriented magazines regularly publish
    > tutorials on how to do Windows Registry edits, which one would think
    > would be far more geekitude-intensive than Firefox's about:config. After
    > all, if you stuff up Windows' Registry, you can render your system
    > unbootable short of a hard drive reformat and reinstall, whereas if you
    > stuff up Firefox's about:config, you can recover by simply deleting or
    > renaming your prefs.js and starting again.

    Which I guess is a bit like backing up your Windows Registry before you
    edit it so that you can restore it after if required, not with standing
    the fact that the tutorials you refer to would be well researched before
    they are printed and sold to the public (at least I would expect they
    would be). Of course, a better idea would be to backup your prefs.js
    file first so that you can at least revert back to the way it was rather
    than starting again.

    :)

    Chris Mayhew, Jun 28, 2005