    Do I need to transfer (how?) the collection of bookmarks??

    Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay E., Apr 14, 2004

  2. Jay E.

    Moz Champion Guest

    Jay E. wrote:
    > Greetings...
    > I have been using Phoenix/Firebird and upgraded to Firefox.
    > Bookmarks went OK from Firebird oto Firefox.
    > Since I wanted a news reader, I uninstalled and installed Mozilla - with
    > the whole works. But, I don't see the bookmarks.
    >
    > Do I need to transfer (how?) the collection of bookmarks??
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jay

    Jay

    Your bookmarks for Firebird/Firefox will be here

    Locate your Application Data folder, this is usually under Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data. You may need to make hidden files visible in Windows Explorer, since the Application Data folder is hidden. If your username is "Joe", and your Documents and Settings folder is on C:\, your profile folder is here: C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Application Data\Phoenix.

    The bookmark file is called bookmarks.html

    The bookmarks for Mozilla will be here

    Windows

    On Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME (without log-in), the profile directory is typically
    C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\

    On Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME with log-in, the profile directory is typically
    C:\Windows\Profiles\[Log-in Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\

    On Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the profile directory is typically
    C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\

    Note: on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the Document and Settings directory is hidden twice. To access the directory, enable Windows Explorer to view System and Hidden directories and files.

    The bookmark file is called bookmarks.html

    so, take a copy of your bookmarks.html file from your Phoenix folder and put it in place of the bookmarks.html file in your Mozilla folder. This will overwrite your current Mozilla bookmarks replacing them with your Firefox bookmarks.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Apr 14, 2004

    Justin Haygood, Apr 14, 2004
  4. Jay E.

    Jay E. Guest

    Justin Haygood wrote:

    I overdid the plug-ins and, somehow, bollixed up Firefox.
    (somehow, the download box had the 'save' button stippled out -
    so I couldn't save anything.)
    I could re-install Firefox, or try the full-on Mozilla.
    So, I gave it a whirl.

    Is Firefox + Thunderbird that different from Mozilla 1.6?

    Thanks for your response.
    Jay
    Jay E., Apr 15, 2004
  5. Jay E.

    Jay E. Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Jay E. wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings...
    >> I have been using Phoenix/Firebird and upgraded to Firefox.
    >> Bookmarks went OK from Firebird oto Firefox.
    >> Since I wanted a news reader, I uninstalled and installed Mozilla -
    >> with the whole works. But, I don't see the bookmarks.
    >>
    >> Do I need to transfer (how?) the collection of bookmarks??
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jay

    > Jay
    >
    > Your bookmarks for Firebird/Firefox will be here
    >
    > Locate your Application Data folder, this is usually under Documents and
    > Settings\<username>\Application Data. You may need to make hidden files
    > visible in Windows Explorer, since the Application Data folder is
    > hidden. If your username is "Joe", and your Documents and Settings
    > folder is on C:\, your profile folder is here: C:\Documents and
    > Settings\Joe\Application Data\Phoenix.
    >
    > The bookmark file is called bookmarks.html
    >
    > The bookmarks for Mozilla will be here
    >
    > Windows
    >
    > On Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME (without log-in), the
    > profile directory is typically
    > C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User
    > Profile]\[random string].slt\
    >
    > On Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME with log-in, the profile
    > directory is typically
    > C:\Windows\Profiles\[Log-in Name]\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\
    >
    > On Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the profile directory is typically
    > C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\
    >
    > Note: on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the Document and Settings
    > directory is hidden twice. To access the directory, enable Windows
    > Explorer to view System and Hidden directories and files.
    >
    > The bookmark file is called bookmarks.html
    >
    > so, take a copy of your bookmarks.html file from your Phoenix folder and
    > put it in place of the bookmarks.html file in your Mozilla folder. This
    > will overwrite your current Mozilla bookmarks replacing them with your
    > Firefox bookmarks.

    Thank You!
    Jay E., Apr 15, 2004
  6. Jay E.

    Moz Champion Guest

    Jay E. wrote:
    > Justin Haygood wrote:

    > I overdid the plug-ins and, somehow, bollixed up Firefox.
    > (somehow, the download box had the 'save' button stippled out -
    > so I couldn't save anything.)
    > I could re-install Firefox, or try the full-on Mozilla.
    > So, I gave it a whirl.
    >
    > Is Firefox + Thunderbird that different from Mozilla 1.6?
    >
    > Thanks for your response.
    > Jay

    Yes and no <g>

    Firefox + Thunderbird tho similar in concept to Mozilla (and rooted in the same code) have sufficient differences to make them separate products

    Some people prefer the Mozilla (suite) approach, while others prefer the compartmentalization of Firefox and Thunderbird

    At one point it was thought that once Firefox and Thunderbird were mature enough (version 1.0?) that future development would be switched solely to them, but this insnt seemingly written in stone, and with the varying 'age' of each .08 to .05 respectively, it may be some time before it occurs.

    Firefox and Thunderbird are still technological preview products. The Mozilla suite (1.6) is the release version of the Mozilla product line at the moment

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Apr 15, 2004