    of extension installed cause this?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Apr 10, 2005

  2. Jeff Ingram

    Larry Guest

    I have not experienced this, sounds like you have some sort of nasty
    background virus or bot running. It only uses a few meg running and my CPU
    usage maybe kicks up to 10-25% only while a web page is loading (under a
    second).

    How many extensions do you have running??

    Larry, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Jeff Ingram

    Henk Jol Guest

    Larry schreef:

    >I have not experienced this, sounds like you have some sort of nasty
    >background virus or bot running. It only uses a few meg running and my CPU
    >usage maybe kicks up to 10-25% only while a web page is loading (under a
    >second).

    Right for the processor, but it takes some of the (only) 256 MB RAM I
    have inside: up to 50MB. But only after some time and with many several
    tabs open. The resource problem starts to annoy as soon as it throws
    loads of the memory into a certain pagefile.sys ;-)

    Henk Jol

    Henk Jol, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Jeff Ingram

    Drude Guest

    In article <>, usenet-
    says...
    > Larry schreef:
    >
    > >I have not experienced this, sounds like you have some sort of nasty
    > >background virus or bot running. It only uses a few meg running and my CPU
    > >usage maybe kicks up to 10-25% only while a web page is loading (under a
    > >second).

    > Right for the processor, but it takes some of the (only) 256 MB RAM I
    > have inside: up to 50MB. But only after some time and with many several
    > tabs open. The resource problem starts to annoy as soon as it throws
    > loads of the memory into a certain pagefile.sys ;-)
    >
    > Henk Jol
    >
    > >How many extensions do you have running??
    > >

    > >"Jeff Ingram" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> I've been using Firefox for several months, all the way up from version
    > >> .8. I've now got the latest version and I've noticed that it seems to
    > >> take up A LOT of system resources at times. Like it's usually using
    > >> more memory than most of my apps under Windows Xp and it hits my CPU big
    > >> time, like 99% usage! (again only sometimes).
    > >>
    > >> Has anyone noticed this. Know of a way to "fix" this? Can the number
    > >> of extension installed cause this?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Jeff

    This memory leak is common with FF. It got bad enough with me that it
    was affecting other apps on my system. It killed a new soundcard I
    installed (couldn't use my soundcard and FF simultaneously, for
    instance...), so I am now fully back on IE, even though I really do love
    FF.

    Unfortunately, this problem (which has affected a lot of people) hasn't
    yet been addressed by the Mozilla folks. When the next FULL version of
    FF comes out, I'll definitely try it again.

    In the meantime...good luck!

    -Drude

    Drude, Apr 11, 2005
  5. Jeff Ingram

    default Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 04:15:08 GMT, Drude <> wrote:

    >In article <>, usenet-
    > says...
    >> Larry schreef:
    >>
    >> >I have not experienced this, sounds like you have some sort of nasty
    >> >background virus or bot running. It only uses a few meg running and my CPU
    >> >usage maybe kicks up to 10-25% only while a web page is loading (under a
    >> >second).

    >> Right for the processor, but it takes some of the (only) 256 MB RAM I
    >> have inside: up to 50MB. But only after some time and with many several
    >> tabs open. The resource problem starts to annoy as soon as it throws
    >> loads of the memory into a certain pagefile.sys ;-)
    >>
    >> Henk Jol
    >>
    >> >How many extensions do you have running??
    >> >

    >> >"Jeff Ingram" <> wrote in message

    >This memory leak is common with FF. It got bad enough with me that it
    >was affecting other apps on my system. It killed a new soundcard I
    >installed (couldn't use my soundcard and FF simultaneously, for
    >instance...), so I am now fully back on IE, even though I really do love
    >FF.
    >
    >Unfortunately, this problem (which has affected a lot of people) hasn't
    >yet been addressed by the Mozilla folks. When the next FULL version of
    >FF comes out, I'll definitely try it again.
    >
    >In the meantime...good luck!
    >
    >-Drude

    Thanks for the info. I thought it was just me. I reloaded K-Meleon
    because FF was too slow.

    default, Apr 11, 2005
  6. Jeff Ingram

    Charani Guest

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 06:36:16 -0400, Jeff Ingram wrote:

    > I've been using Firefox for several months, all the way up from
    > version .8. I've now got the latest version and I've noticed that
    > it seems to take up A LOT of system resources at times. Like it's
    > usually using more memory than most of my apps under Windows Xp
    > and it hits my CPU big time, like 99% usage! (again only
    > sometimes).
    >
    > Has anyone noticed this. Know of a way to "fix" this? Can the
    > number of extension installed cause this?

    I use MaxMem from AnalogX to force the release of memory if too much
    is being hogged.

    Charani, Apr 12, 2005
  7. Jeff Ingram

    Jim Guest

    I see this occasionally on the first URL loaded (not the same one each
    time). It may takes 30 seconds before anything even shows up in the
    status line. After that loads it seems to be normal but this ins
    getting to be real annoying.

    Jim, Apr 13, 2005
  8. Jeff Ingram

    Charani Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:07:00 -0500, Jim wrote:

    > I see this occasionally on the first URL loaded (not the same one each
    > time). It may takes 30 seconds before anything even shows up in the
    > status line. After that loads it seems to be normal but this ins
    > getting to be real annoying.

    I notice it most when I first boot up in the morning and download
    posts from all the groups I'm subbed to, check mail via Mozilla, a
    couple of web based accounts and a web based bulletin board all at the
    same time.

    I usually run with 50-60% of resources free.

    Charani, Apr 13, 2005
  9. Jeff Ingram

    Jim Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:56:49 +0100, Charani <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:07:00 -0500, Jim wrote:
    >
    >> I see this occasionally on the first URL loaded (not the same one each
    >> time). It may takes 30 seconds before anything even shows up in the
    >> status line. After that loads it seems to be normal but this ins
    >> getting to be real annoying.
    >>

    >I notice it most when I first boot up in the morning and download
    >posts from all the groups I'm subbed to, check mail via Mozilla, a
    >couple of web based accounts and a web based bulletin board all at the
    >same time.
    >
    >I usually run with 50-60% of resources free.

    In my case, all startup processes have finished I am starting nothing
    else at the same time. Firefox ties itself in knots.

    Jim, Apr 14, 2005
  10. Jeff Ingram

    DixieDufus Guest

    Drude wrote:

    > In article <>, usenet-
    > says...
    >
    >>Larry schreef:
    >>

    >>>I have not experienced this, sounds like you have some sort of nasty
    >>>background virus or bot running. It only uses a few meg running and my CPU
    >>>usage maybe kicks up to 10-25% only while a web page is loading (under a
    >>>second).

    >>Right for the processor, but it takes some of the (only) 256 MB RAM I
    >>have inside: up to 50MB. But only after some time and with many several
    >>tabs open. The resource problem starts to annoy as soon as it throws
    >>loads of the memory into a certain pagefile.sys ;-)
    >>
    >>Henk Jol
    >>

    >>>How many extensions do you have running??
    >>>

    >>>"Jeff Ingram" <> wrote in message

    > This memory leak is common with FF. It got bad enough with me that it
    > was affecting other apps on my system. It killed a new soundcard I
    > installed (couldn't use my soundcard and FF simultaneously, for
    > instance...), so I am now fully back on IE, even though I really do love
    > FF.
    >
    > Unfortunately, this problem (which has affected a lot of people) hasn't
    > yet been addressed by the Mozilla folks. When the next FULL version of
    > FF comes out, I'll definitely try it again.
    >
    > In the meantime...good luck!
    >
    > -Drude

    Some alternatives mite be to use Mozilla Netscape7.2-my favorite
    browser or even the latest slimbrowser, all of which i prefer before
    falling back to ie. i dunno about yall but after using any browser
    supporting tabbed browsing i cannot will not aing gonna use ie.
    dixie

    DixieDufus, Apr 16, 2005