    1. Advertising

  2. DoggNZ

    thing Guest

    thing, May 24, 2005

  3. On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:52:15 +1200, someone purporting to be thing doth
    scrawl:

    > DoggNZ wrote:
    >> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/844F9722C9EE6739CC25700B0016777C

    > IBMs' anything but MS mantra....
    >
    > Then the security issues,
    >
    > http://www.internetnews.com/commentary/article.php/3506666
    >
    > So jumping because its safer and not MS are not really good reasons.

    It's still safer than IE. Do some vulnerability counts between IE and FF,
    and see how many are of the varying security levels. IE is considerably
    more vulnerable than FF, even with the latest FF bugs - also, a lot of the
    vulnerabilities released for FF are concept vulnerabilities that apply to
    IE, or would if IE was as standards-compliant as FF is, such as the
    unicode domain names exploit, which will become a problem for IE when it
    catches up to FF and support it.

    Moving because FF is standards-compliant is as good a reason as any. The
    more people who switch, the greater the impetus for developers to code to
    the W3C standards rather than for the IE "standard".

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, May 24, 2005
  4. In article <>, thing <>
    wrote:

    >DoggNZ wrote:
    >> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/844F9722C9EE6739CC25700B0016777C

    >IBMs' anything but MS mantra....
    >
    >Then the security issues,
    >
    >http://www.internetnews.com/commentary/article.php/3506666

    Quote:

    The fact is, Firefox isn't impervious to malicious code, and it's not
    perfectly safe. But ''not perfectly safe'' hardly is another way of
    saying ''just as bad as IE''. And as someone who believes genuine
    competition is better for technology users, I'm worried that IE users
    who might have been tempted to switch to Firefox may back off because
    they think the open-source browser is no better than Microsoft's
    enabler of malware mayhem.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 25, 2005
  5. DoggNZ

    PAM. Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > It's still safer than IE. Do some vulnerability counts between IE and FF

    I prefer to use Windows Explorer and Outlook to do my browsing on my work
    PC.
    :)

    "Holes!" They cried. "They're full of holes."

    hole-fan PAM.
    PAM., May 25, 2005
  6. Hi there,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, thing <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>DoggNZ wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/844F9722C9EE6739CC25700B0016777C

    >>IBMs' anything but MS mantra....
    >>
    >>Then the security issues,
    >>
    >>http://www.internetnews.com/commentary/article.php/3506666

    > Quote:
    >
    > The fact is, Firefox isn't impervious to malicious code, and it's not
    > perfectly safe. But ''not perfectly safe'' hardly is another way of
    > saying ''just as bad as IE''. And as someone who believes genuine
    > competition is better for technology users, I'm worried that IE users
    > who might have been tempted to switch to Firefox may back off because
    > they think the open-source browser is no better than Microsoft's
    > enabler of malware mayhem.

    MS no doubt will have some 'facts' somewhere on the web that show IE is
    safer than competing browsers. 'Average Joes' are far too gullible, and
    thats why MS succeed with their FUD campaign...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, May 25, 2005