    when it happens (I simply detest opening IE <<grin>>).

    C.R.
    , Nov 22, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Only occasionally, but often enough to be a real pain, Firefox 2.0
    > (older version did it too) will simply stall when opening a site. In
    > the lower left it shows that it's waiting for 127.0.0.1. Since that's
    > "me," what's going on? It seems that POSSIBLY it's associated with
    > some types of advertising on some sites (Drudge seems to be the most
    > frequent site where it happens). I have sat for several minutes
    > waiting for some resolution just to see what would happen, but it just
    > keeps waiting to loopback to my computer. Ideas? (Fixes?)
    >
    > My fix thus far is to open Opera and look at the site through Opera
    > when it happens (I simply detest opening IE <<grin>>).
    >
    > C.R.

    I was going to suggest a hosts file issue, but that should cause the4
    problem in Opera as well.

    Are you running AdBlock, or any other ad blocking extension? Have you
    tried opening in Safe Mode?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 22, 2006

  3. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Only occasionally, but often enough to be a real pain, Firefox 2.0
    >> (older version did it too) will simply stall when opening a site. In
    >> the lower left it shows that it's waiting for 127.0.0.1. Since that's
    >> "me," what's going on? It seems that POSSIBLY it's associated with
    >> some types of advertising on some sites (Drudge seems to be the most
    >> frequent site where it happens). I have sat for several minutes
    >> waiting for some resolution just to see what would happen, but it just
    >> keeps waiting to loopback to my computer. Ideas? (Fixes?)
    >>
    >> My fix thus far is to open Opera and look at the site through Opera
    >> when it happens (I simply detest opening IE <<grin>>).
    >>
    >> C.R.

    > I was going to suggest a hosts file issue, but that should cause the4
    > problem in Opera as well.
    >
    > Are you running AdBlock, or any other ad blocking extension? Have you
    > tried opening in Safe Mode?
    >
    > Lee

    I had the same problem with opening parts of Friends Reunited on our
    desktop. Whitelisted the page in adblock with no effect. Again waiting
    for 127.0.0.1

    It finally worked when I put Friends reunited in the trusted zone of
    Zone Alarm. Now I have taken it out it and at present it is still working.

    What I cannot do since Firefox 2.0 is get the messages to pop up when I
    hover over the triangles on the AA road problems site. Any ideas?

    http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/in...st Anglia&gp=map&searchParameter=region&city=
    The Invisible Man, Nov 22, 2006
  4. The Invisible Man wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Only occasionally, but often enough to be a real pain, Firefox 2.0
    >>> (older version did it too) will simply stall when opening a site. In
    >>> the lower left it shows that it's waiting for 127.0.0.1. Since that's
    >>> "me," what's going on? It seems that POSSIBLY it's associated with
    >>> some types of advertising on some sites (Drudge seems to be the most
    >>> frequent site where it happens). I have sat for several minutes
    >>> waiting for some resolution just to see what would happen, but it just
    >>> keeps waiting to loopback to my computer. Ideas? (Fixes?)
    >>>
    >>> My fix thus far is to open Opera and look at the site through Opera
    >>> when it happens (I simply detest opening IE <<grin>>).
    >>>
    >>> C.R.

    >> I was going to suggest a hosts file issue, but that should cause the4
    >> problem in Opera as well.
    >>
    >> Are you running AdBlock, or any other ad blocking extension? Have you
    >> tried opening in Safe Mode?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > I had the same problem with opening parts of Friends Reunited on our
    > desktop. Whitelisted the page in adblock with no effect. Again waiting
    > for 127.0.0.1
    >
    > It finally worked when I put Friends reunited in the trusted zone of
    > Zone Alarm. Now I have taken it out it and at present it is still working.
    >
    > What I cannot do since Firefox 2.0 is get the messages to pop up when I
    > hover over the triangles on the AA road problems site. Any ideas?
    >
    > http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/in...st Anglia&gp=map&searchParameter=region&city=

    That's not working in FF 1.5 either, nor in Safari.

    It sort of works on Opera, but part of the tooltip is buried behind the map.

    I suspect IE specific code, but I don't have IE here to test.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 22, 2006
  5. On 2006-11-22, <> wrote:

    > Only occasionally, but often enough to be a real pain, Firefox 2.0
    > (older version did it too) will simply stall when opening a site. In
    > the lower left it shows that it's waiting for 127.0.0.1. Since that's
    > "me," what's going on? It seems that POSSIBLY it's associated with
    > some types of advertising on some sites (Drudge seems to be the most
    > frequent site where it happens). I have sat for several minutes
    > waiting for some resolution just to see what would happen, but it just
    > keeps waiting to loopback to my computer. Ideas? (Fixes?)

    Is Firefox configured to use a proxy server listening on 127.0.0.1?
    Maybe you have edited your "hosts" file to point some advertising sites
    to 127.0.0.1 and the page is set to force you to view those before it
    lets you see the real content?

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Nov 24, 2006
  6. Guest

    On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:05:56 GMT, John Thompson
    <2.dhs.org> wrote:

    >Is Firefox configured to use a proxy server listening on 127.0.0.1?

    Nope. I'm using Firefox just as it "came out of the box." Although
    now I'm not certain it's happening with the latest upgrade afterall.
    I thought it had, but it's been several days without the problem.
    Maybe it was a glitch in the previous version....(?) I'll just have
    to watch a while longer to find out, I guess - it may have actually
    fixed itself with the upgrade and I didn't realize it.

    The only time I use a proxy server is when I use the anonymizing
    function of my Steganos software (which is rare).

    By the way - you didn't by any slim chance graduate from high school
    in '66 where the mascot was a "billy," did you?

    C.R.
    , Nov 25, 2006
  7. On 2006-11-25, <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:05:56 GMT, John Thompson
    ><2.dhs.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>Is Firefox configured to use a proxy server listening on 127.0.0.1?

    > Nope. I'm using Firefox just as it "came out of the box." Although
    > now I'm not certain it's happening with the latest upgrade afterall.

    That's odd. What do your connection settings? If you're not using a
    proxy server of some kind, it should be set to "direct connection to the
    internet." Unl;ess there's something in your hosts file I don't know why
    it would be looking at 127.0.0.1 at all.

    --

    -John ()
    John Thompson, Nov 30, 2006
  8. C.R. Guest

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:05:56 GMT, John Thompson
    <2.dhs.org> wrote:

    >That's odd. What do your connection settings? If you're not using a
    >proxy server of some kind, it should be set to "direct connection to the
    >internet." Unl;ess there's something in your hosts file I don't know why
    >it would be looking at 127.0.0.1 at all.

    It's strange. I only see it briefly now, and just for a few seconds,
    and only on certain web sites. I suspect it got fixed in the most
    recent version of Firefox, which I didn't download until shortly
    before I wrote the original post, and I didn't realize the problem had
    apparently been resolved. It's still a mystery, but at least it's not
    a significant problem for me. Settings seem fine, I never have the
    problem with Opera, and only on a very few sites with Firefox. I
    don't know about IE - I don't use it because it's so slow anyway.

    But I'm considering the issue resolved functionally, even if my
    curiousity isn't satisfied as to why. <<grin>>

    C.R.
    C.R., Dec 2, 2006