    As soon as I bring up Firefox my whole system bogs down. Other
    programs start hanging up and slowing way down. I love Firefox, but
    this is ridiculous. What can I do?

    JimD, May 5, 2005

  2. JimD

    Big Will Guest

    JimD wrote:
    > As soon as I bring up Firefox my whole system bogs down. Other
    > programs start hanging up and slowing way down. I love Firefox, but
    > this is ridiculous. What can I do?

    What happens when you start FF in safemode? What version of FF RU
    using, and what OS? How much memory do U have? What processor?
    Anyway, if it was working before, but for some reason stopped, try
    starting FF in Safe Mode. If that works, then it may be an incompatible
    or corrupt extension/theme.

    Big Will, May 5, 2005

  3. JimD

    JimD Guest

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 23:24:05 -0700, Big Will
    <ALL_YOUR_BASE@ARE_BELONG_TO_US> wrote:

    >JimD wrote:
    >> As soon as I bring up Firefox my whole system bogs down. Other
    >> programs start hanging up and slowing way down. I love Firefox, but
    >> this is ridiculous. What can I do?
    >>

    >What happens when you start FF in safemode? What version of FF RU
    >using, and what OS? How much memory do U have? What processor?
    >Anyway, if it was working before, but for some reason stopped, try
    >starting FF in Safe Mode. If that works, then it may be an incompatible
    >or corrupt extension/theme.

    How do you start it in safe mode, and what does that accomplish? I'm
    using version 1.0.3. I'm using win2kpro with an Athlon 1800 chip and
    1 gig of ram.

    If I have other programs going and they start to bog down I x out
    Firefox and they go pretty much back to normal. I downloaded the
    Firefox preloader, but I got rid of it because it didn't seem to make
    much difference.

    I have a sneaking suspcion it might be my ISP. I can't get cable here
    so I'm using Netscape. I downloaded a free 2 month version of AOL to
    compare, and I don't seem to be having the same problems, but I can't
    say for sure that's it.

    Anyway, thanks for the help.

    JimD, May 5, 2005
  4. JimD

    Doug G Guest

    JimD wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 May 2005 23:24:05 -0700, Big Will
    > <ALL_YOUR_BASE@ARE_BELONG_TO_US> wrote:
    >
    >>JimD wrote:
    >>> As soon as I bring up Firefox my whole system bogs down. Other
    >>> programs start hanging up and slowing way down. I love Firefox, but
    >>> this is ridiculous. What can I do?
    >>>

    >>What happens when you start FF in safemode? What version of FF RU
    >>using, and what OS? How much memory do U have? What processor?
    >>Anyway, if it was working before, but for some reason stopped, try
    >>starting FF in Safe Mode. If that works, then it may be an incompatible
    >>or corrupt extension/theme.

    > How do you start it in safe mode, and what does that accomplish? I'm
    > using version 1.0.3. I'm using win2kpro with an Athlon 1800 chip and
    > 1 gig of ram.
    >
    > If I have other programs going and they start to bog down I x out
    > Firefox and they go pretty much back to normal. I downloaded the
    > Firefox preloader, but I got rid of it because it didn't seem to make
    > much difference.
    >
    > I have a sneaking suspcion it might be my ISP. I can't get cable here
    > so I'm using Netscape. I downloaded a free 2 month version of AOL to
    > compare, and I don't seem to be having the same problems, but I can't
    > say for sure that's it.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for the help.

    Firefox (Safe Mode), look for its shortcut on Windows' Start menu, runs
    the program with added themes and extensions disabled.

    Doug G, May 5, 2005
  5. Doug G <> wrote in

    > JimD wrote:
    >> On Wed, 04 May 2005 23:24:05 -0700, Big Will
    >> <ALL_YOUR_BASE@ARE_BELONG_TO_US> wrote:

    >>>What happens when you start FF in safemode? What version of FF RU
    >>>using, and what OS? How much memory do U have? What processor?
    >>>Anyway, if it was working before, but for some reason stopped, try
    >>>starting FF in Safe Mode. If that works, then it may be an
    >>>incompatible or corrupt extension/theme.

    >> How do you start it in safe mode, and what does that accomplish? I'm
    >> using version 1.0.3. I'm using win2kpro with an Athlon 1800 chip and
    >> 1 gig of ram.
    >>
    >> If I have other programs going and they start to bog down I x out
    >> Firefox and they go pretty much back to normal. I downloaded the
    >> Firefox preloader, but I got rid of it because it didn't seem to make
    >> much difference.
    >>
    >> I have a sneaking suspcion it might be my ISP. I can't get cable
    >> here so I'm using Netscape. I downloaded a free 2 month version of
    >> AOL to compare, and I don't seem to be having the same problems, but
    >> I can't say for sure that's it.
    >>
    >> Anyway, thanks for the help.

    > Firefox (Safe Mode), look for its shortcut on Windows' Start menu,
    > runs the program with added themes and extensions disabled.

    So it runs faster? Is it inferior to the regular mode? If so, how?

    slatconsulting, May 5, 2005
  6. JimD

    Big Will Guest

    slatconsulting wrote:
    > Doug G <> wrote in
    >

    >>JimD wrote:

    >>>How do you start it in safe mode, and what does that accomplish? I'm
    >>>using version 1.0.3. I'm using win2kpro with an Athlon 1800 chip and
    >>>1 gig of ram.
    >>>
    >>>If I have other programs going and they start to bog down I x out
    >>>Firefox and they go pretty much back to normal. I downloaded the
    >>>Firefox preloader, but I got rid of it because it didn't seem to make
    >>>much difference.
    >>>
    >>>I have a sneaking suspcion it might be my ISP. I can't get cable
    >>>here so I'm using Netscape. I downloaded a free 2 month version of
    >>>AOL to compare, and I don't seem to be having the same problems, but
    >>>I can't say for sure that's it.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, thanks for the help.

    >>Firefox (Safe Mode), look for its shortcut on Windows' Start menu,
    >>runs the program with added themes and extensions disabled.
    >>

    > So it runs faster? Is it inferior to the regular mode? If so, how?

    no, safemode isn't inferior to the inferior mode. It just loads
    everything in default settings, with themes and extensions disabled. If
    it runs faster in safe mode, then it's probably one of the
    themes/extensions installed.

    Regards,

    Will

    Big Will, May 5, 2005
  7. JimD

    Big Will Guest

    Big Will, May 5, 2005
  8. JimD

    Robin T Cox Guest

    JimD wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 May 2005 23:24:05 -0700, Big Will
    > <ALL_YOUR_BASE@ARE_BELONG_TO_US> wrote:
    >

    >>JimD wrote:
    >>
    >>>As soon as I bring up Firefox my whole system bogs down. Other
    >>>programs start hanging up and slowing way down. I love Firefox, but
    >>>this is ridiculous. What can I do?
    >>>

    >>What happens when you start FF in safemode? What version of FF RU
    >>using, and what OS? How much memory do U have? What processor?
    >>Anyway, if it was working before, but for some reason stopped, try
    >>starting FF in Safe Mode. If that works, then it may be an incompatible
    >>or corrupt extension/theme.

    > How do you start it in safe mode, and what does that accomplish? I'm
    > using version 1.0.3. I'm using win2kpro with an Athlon 1800 chip and
    > 1 gig of ram.
    >
    > If I have other programs going and they start to bog down I x out
    > Firefox and they go pretty much back to normal. I downloaded the
    > Firefox preloader, but I got rid of it because it didn't seem to make
    > much difference.
    >
    > I have a sneaking suspcion it might be my ISP. I can't get cable here
    > so I'm using Netscape. I downloaded a free 2 month version of AOL to
    > compare, and I don't seem to be having the same problems, but I can't
    > say for sure that's it.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for the help.

    Try FireTune:
    http://www.firetune.com

    Robin T Cox, May 8, 2005
  9. JimD

    JimD Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 17:09:20 GMT, Robin T Cox <>
    wrote:

    >JimD wrote:
    >> On Wed, 04 May 2005 23:24:05 -0700, Big Will
    >> <ALL_YOUR_BASE@ARE_BELONG_TO_US> wrote:

    >>>What happens when you start FF in safemode? What version of FF RU
    >>>using, and what OS? How much memory do U have? What processor?
    >>>Anyway, if it was working before, but for some reason stopped, try
    >>>starting FF in Safe Mode. If that works, then it may be an incompatible
    >>>or corrupt extension/theme.

    >> How do you start it in safe mode, and what does that accomplish? I'm
    >> using version 1.0.3. I'm using win2kpro with an Athlon 1800 chip and
    >> 1 gig of ram.
    >>
    >> If I have other programs going and they start to bog down I x out
    >> Firefox and they go pretty much back to normal. I downloaded the
    >> Firefox preloader, but I got rid of it because it didn't seem to make
    >> much difference.
    >>
    >> I have a sneaking suspcion it might be my ISP. I can't get cable here
    >> so I'm using Netscape. I downloaded a free 2 month version of AOL to
    >> compare, and I don't seem to be having the same problems, but I can't
    >> say for sure that's it.
    >>
    >> Anyway, thanks for the help.

    >Try FireTune:
    >http://www.firetune.com

    ..

    After I installed FireTune, but not in safe mode, and before I
    adjusted the settings, FireFox took 39.766 seconds to load.

    After I set up FireTune FireFox took 35.78 seconds to load.

    FireTune speeded things up a little, but It's unbearably slow no
    matter how you look at it.

    When I start FireFox in safe mode it takes 34.906 seconds to load.

    What am I to do?

    JimD, May 9, 2005
  10. JimD

    Doug G Guest

    JimD wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 May 2005 17:09:20 GMT, Robin T Cox <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>JimD wrote:

    >>> How do you start it in safe mode, and what does that accomplish? I'm
    >>> using version 1.0.3. I'm using win2kpro with an Athlon 1800 chip and
    >>> 1 gig of ram.
    >>>
    >>> If I have other programs going and they start to bog down I x out
    >>> Firefox and they go pretty much back to normal. I downloaded the
    >>> Firefox preloader, but I got rid of it because it didn't seem to make
    >>> much difference.
    >>>
    >>> I have a sneaking suspcion it might be my ISP. I can't get cable here
    >>> so I'm using Netscape. I downloaded a free 2 month version of AOL to
    >>> compare, and I don't seem to be having the same problems, but I can't
    >>> say for sure that's it.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, thanks for the help.

    >>Try FireTune:
    >>http://www.firetune.com

    > .
    >
    > After I installed FireTune, but not in safe mode, and before I
    > adjusted the settings, FireFox took 39.766 seconds to load.
    >
    > After I set up FireTune FireFox took 35.78 seconds to load.
    >
    > FireTune speeded things up a little, but It's unbearably slow no
    > matter how you look at it.
    >
    > When I start FireFox in safe mode it takes 34.906 seconds to load.
    >
    > What am I to do?

    Some older and slower computers take longer to start Firefox.

    Try the tweaks at http://www.windowssecrets.com/041202/#top1

    Doug G, May 9, 2005
  11. JimD

    JimD Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 05:37:27 -0500, Doug G <>
    wrote:

    >Some older and slower computers take longer to start Firefox.
    >
    >Try the tweaks at http://www.windowssecrets.com/041202/#top1

    I just upgraded to an 1800 Athlon chip and 1 gig of ram-Win2kPro. I
    was using an 800 Duron with 512 ram. There is no noticable difference
    in speed. I wonder why?

    JimD, May 9, 2005
  12. JimD

    Doug G Guest

    JimD wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 05:37:27 -0500, Doug G <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Some older and slower computers take longer to start Firefox.
    >>
    >>Try the tweaks at http://www.windowssecrets.com/041202/#top1

    > I just upgraded to an 1800 Athlon chip and 1 gig of ram-Win2kPro. I
    > was using an 800 Duron with 512 ram. There is no noticable difference
    > in speed. I wonder why?

    After a cold start, it takes about 14 seconds for Firefox 1.0.3 to open
    to a blank screen. ForecastFox 0.7.1 and a few other extensions are
    enabled at startup.

    Windows XP Home SP2, 2.0 GHz Athlon XP, 480 MB RAM.

    Doug G, May 9, 2005
  13. JimD

    JimD Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:12:01 -0500, Doug G <>
    wrote:

    >After a cold start, it takes about 14 seconds for Firefox 1.0.3 to open
    >to a blank screen. ForecastFox 0.7.1 and a few other extensions are
    >enabled at startup.
    >
    >Windows XP Home SP2, 2.0 GHz Athlon XP, 480 MB RAM.

    Once you are up and running and you have some other applications going
    in the background, how long does it take for a new page to completely
    load when you click on a URL link?

    Mine is in the neighborhood of 30~ seconds. I'm just curious what
    yours is. What kind of a connection do you have? Cable? Dial-up?

    Thanks.

    JimD, May 9, 2005
  14. JimD

    Doug G Guest

    JimD wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:12:01 -0500, Doug G <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>After a cold start, it takes about 14 seconds for Firefox 1.0.3 to open
    >>to a blank screen. ForecastFox 0.7.1 and a few other extensions are
    >>enabled at startup.
    >>
    >>Windows XP Home SP2, 2.0 GHz Athlon XP, 480 MB RAM.

    > Once you are up and running and you have some other applications going
    > in the background, how long does it take for a new page to completely
    > load when you click on a URL link?
    >
    > Mine is in the neighborhood of 30~ seconds. I'm just curious what
    > yours is. What kind of a connection do you have? Cable? Dial-up?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have cable and links open in a second or two. I usually close other
    programs when I'm browsing.

    Memory cache is 16,000 KB, disk cache is 50,000 KB and Java is rarely
    enabled.

    Doug G, May 10, 2005
  15. JimD

    steekid Guest

    My workstation: Pentium4-2.4/512M RAM/WindowsXPSP2. It takes 4 seconds.
    My computer at home: Athlon64-2800+/1G RAM/WindowsXPSP2. It takes 3 seconds.

    steekid, May 10, 2005
  16. JimD

    JimD Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 18:20:39 -0500, Doug G <>
    wrote:

    >Memory cache is 16,000 KB, disk cache is 50,000 KB and Java is rarely
    >enabled.

    I'm wondering if I should (or can I?) tweak these numbers. If I can,
    how do I go about it?

    Thanks.

    JimD, May 10, 2005
  17. JimD

    Doug G Guest

    Doug G, May 10, 2005
  18. JimD

    ßnôtråg Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > >>Some older and slower computers take longer to start Firefox.

    [...]

    > After a cold start, it takes about 14 seconds for Firefox 1.0.3 to open
    > to a blank screen. ForecastFox 0.7.1 and a few other extensions are
    > enabled at startup.

    > Windows XP Home SP2, 2.0 GHz Athlon XP, 480 MB RAM.

    FF 1.0.3 w/ Nuke anything, RIP, Adblock, Single Window & WebDev Toolbar.

    First launch after restart:- 7 seconds.
    Subsequent starts:- 4.5 seconds.

    Win 98SE, 430mHz Celeron, 160mb RAM, spiderwebs, ghosts, aviators missing
    since the 1930s.

    ???

    ßnôtråg, May 11, 2005