    http://tinyurl.com/5kwhm

    It sets the Google groups search the way I want it.

    Flatus

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Flatus Ohlfahrt

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 7/13/2004 05:44 PM, Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:

    > The URL down below, when copied as a shortcut on the desktop
    > or the quicklaunch toolbar (where I really want it) causes a
    > 'can't find the file' error when it tries to open Firefox.
    > But, despite the error message, Firefox does open with the
    > site the URL points to. The same URL when used as a bookmark
    > functions properly.
    >
    > Here's the URL:
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?num=100&hl=en&l
    > r=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d

    I get the same type of message with a URL shortcut when FF is the
    default browser. I don't get it if I set the default browser to IE.

    I do not have a problem with it on the Bookmarks Toolbar. Are you
    having problems getting a shortcut on the toolbar itself? Just open
    that link, then click BOOKMARKS >> BOOKMARK THIS PAGE -- then make sure
    that the second drop-down box says "Create in: Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    .BRIAN., Jul 14, 2004

  3. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:46:51 GMT, .BRIAN. wrote in

    > On 7/13/2004 05:44 PM, Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
    >
    >> The URL down below, when copied as a shortcut on the
    >> desktop or the quicklaunch toolbar (where I really want
    >> it) causes a 'can't find the file' error when it tries to
    >> open Firefox. But, despite the error message, Firefox does
    >> open with the site the URL points to. The same URL when
    >> used as a bookmark functions properly.
    >>
    >> Here's the URL:
    >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?num=100&hl=e
    >> n&l r=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d
    >>

    > I get the same type of message with a URL shortcut when FF
    > is the default browser. I don't get it if I set the
    > default browser to IE.
    >
    > I do not have a problem with it on the Bookmarks Toolbar.
    > Are you having problems getting a shortcut on the toolbar
    > itself? Just open that link, then click BOOKMARKS >>
    > BOOKMARK THIS PAGE -- then make sure that the second
    > drop-down box says "Create in: Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".

    Yes, it works properly if the URL is opened from within Firefox.
    And, I do have it on the toolbar. But, it should work outside
    the program as well.

    Now that I know the problem isn't peculiar to my installation,
    I'll look at how to report it.

    Flatus

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Jul 14, 2004
  4. Flatus Ohlfahrt

    MLC Guest

    martedì 13/lug/2004 _Flatus Ohlfahrt_ in

    > The URL down below, when copied as a shortcut on the desktop
    > or the quicklaunch toolbar (where I really want it) causes a
    > 'can't find the file' error when it tries to open Firefox.
    > But, despite the error message, Firefox does open with the
    > site the URL points to. The same URL when used as a bookmark
    > functions properly.

    Hi Flatus,
    I've found this workaround in forums.mozillazine.org and it works well:

    1. Install Firefox and make it the default browser (tools,
    options, make default).
    2. Open any Explorer (not Internet) window such as My Documents.
    3. Select tools, Folder Options
    4. Select file types tab
    5. Select extension "(NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol"
    6. Click Advanced
    7. Select open then click edit
    8. Clear the contents of the DDE message box
    9. Click OK, OK
    10. do the same thing (steps 6-9) for
    "(NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy"

    --
    Maria Luisa C - 14/07/2004 14.44.30

    MLC, Jul 14, 2004
  5. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:47:49 GMT, MLC wrote in

    > martedì 13/lug/2004 _Flatus Ohlfahrt_ in
    >
    >> The URL down below, when copied as a shortcut on the
    >> desktop or the quicklaunch toolbar (where I really want
    >> it) causes a 'can't find the file' error when it tries to
    >> open Firefox. But, despite the error message, Firefox does
    >> open with the site the URL points to. The same URL when
    >> used as a bookmark functions properly.

    > Hi Flatus,
    > I've found this workaround in forums.mozillazine.org and it
    > works well:
    >
    > 1. Install Firefox and make it the default browser (tools,
    > options, make default).
    > 2. Open any Explorer (not Internet) window such as My
    > Documents. 3. Select tools, Folder Options
    > 4. Select file types tab
    > 5. Select extension "(NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer
    > Protocol" 6. Click Advanced
    > 7. Select open then click edit
    > 8. Clear the contents of the DDE message box
    > 9. Click OK, OK
    > 10. do the same thing (steps 6-9) for
    > "(NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy"

    Yes, thanks, that took care of it.

    For those people using Windows 2000, instead of (NONE), the file
    type tab may show N/A. Everything else is the same.

    Flatus

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Jul 14, 2004
  6. Flatus Ohlfahrt

    grindcore Guest

    ok- how do us on win98 deal with it?i cant seem to find NONE) URL:HyperText
    or anything close to it--btw--my main gaming machine is xp home--i use a
    really old maching to browse the web and open email to help keep the bugs
    offa my main gaming machine----thanks in advance for any info

    grindcore, Jul 15, 2004