    Not present in IE apparently.
    I heard FF was supposed to be more secure.
    Aparently not.
    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 2, 2007

  2. Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > I heard there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime
    > files which comprimise your security.
    > Not present in IE apparently.
    > I heard FF was supposed to be more secure.
    > Aparently not.

    You know, if you are going to post something like this, it would be a
    good idea to add a link or two confirming your report. Otherwise it
    just comes off sounding like FUD. Are you talking about this:

    http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3700316

    Old news and fixed months ago at that.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2007

  3. Lord Turkey Cough

    Joe Guest

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"

    >I _ heard_ there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime files

    Where? What authority?

    > which comprimise your security.

    How?

    >Not present in IE _apparently_.

    There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").

    Joe, Dec 3, 2007
  4. "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
    >
    >>I _ heard_ there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime files

    > Where? What authority?
    >
    >> which comprimise your security.

    > How?
    >
    >>Not present in IE _apparently_.

    > There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
    >
    >>I _heard_ FF was supposed to be more secure.

    > Where? What authority?
    >
    >>_Aparentl_y not.

    > There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").

    See my above post.
    I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the link.
    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 3, 2007
  5. "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >> I heard there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime
    >> files which comprimise your security.
    >> Not present in IE apparently.
    >> I heard FF was supposed to be more secure.
    >> Aparently not.

    > You know, if you are going to post something like this, it would be a good
    > idea to add a link or two confirming your report. Otherwise it just comes
    > off sounding like FUD. Are you talking about this:

    Not really.

    > http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3700316
    >
    > Old news and fixed months ago at that.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/29/new_quicktime_exploit/

    "Most agree that Firefox is vulnerable, particularly if QuickTime is
    selected as the default media player."

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 3, 2007
  6. Lord Turkey Cough

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
    >>
    >>> I _ heard_ there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime files

    >> Where? What authority?
    >>
    >>> which comprimise your security.

    >> How?
    >>
    >>> Not present in IE _apparently_.

    >> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
    >>
    >>> I _heard_ FF was supposed to be more secure.

    >> Where? What authority?
    >>
    >>> _Aparentl_y not.

    >> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
    >>

    > See my above post.
    > I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the link.

    Well, that's really helpful.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 3, 2007
  7. Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >>> I heard there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime
    >>> files which comprimise your security.
    >>> Not present in IE apparently.
    >>> I heard FF was supposed to be more secure.
    >>> Aparently not.

    >> You know, if you are going to post something like this, it would be a good
    >> idea to add a link or two confirming your report. Otherwise it just comes
    >> off sounding like FUD. Are you talking about this:

    > Not really.
    >> http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3700316
    >>
    >> Old news and fixed months ago at that.

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/29/new_quicktime_exploit/
    >
    > "Most agree that Firefox is vulnerable, particularly if QuickTime is
    > selected as the default media player."

    Thanks for the link, it would have been a good idea to include it in the
    first place.

    "Window Snyder, Mozilla's security chief said Wednesday her team was
    looking into the matter."

    I saw Window's blog entry after i replied to you. I am sure this will
    be addressed very quickly.

    By the way, OE Quotefix would be a really, really good idea, if you are
    going to post on Mozilla groups:

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 3, 2007
  8. Lord Turkey Cough

    Dan C Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
    >>
    >>> I _ heard_ there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime files

    >> Where? What authority?
    >>
    >>> which comprimise your security.

    >> How?
    >>
    >>> Not present in IE _apparently_.

    >> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
    >>
    >>> I _heard_ FF was supposed to be more secure.

    >> Where? What authority?
    >>
    >>> _Aparentl_y not.

    >> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
    >>

    > See my above post.
    > I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the link.

    Prescription: a big chug-a-lug of Robitussin DM,
    loosening up a big luggie of information would be
    "productive" for us all
    Dan C, Dec 3, 2007
  9. "Dan C" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >> "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"

    >>> Where? What authority?

    >>> How?

    >>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").

    >>> Where? What authority?

    >>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
    >>>

    >> See my above post.
    >> I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the
    >> link.

    > Prescription: a big chug-a-lug of Robitussin DM, loosening up a big
    > luggie of information would be "productive" for us all

    I found it again but I think I have lost it again :O)
    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 3, 2007
  10. "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >> "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"

    >>> Where? What authority?

    >>> How?

    >>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").

    >>> Where? What authority?

    >>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
    >>>

    >> See my above post.
    >> I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the
    >> link.

    > Well, that's really helpful.

    True but at least you know your system is insecure :O)

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 3, 2007
  11. "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in message

    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >>> "Joe" <> wrote in message

    >>> See my above post.
    >>> I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the
    >>> link.

    >> Well, that's really helpful.

    > True but at least you know your system is insecure :O)

    This might help.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 3, 2007

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 3, 2007
  13. "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>> You know, if you are going to post something like this, it would be a
    >>> good idea to add a link or two confirming your report. Otherwise it
    >>> just comes off sounding like FUD. Are you talking about this:

    >> Not really.
    >>> http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3700316
    >>>
    >>> Old news and fixed months ago at that.

    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/29/new_quicktime_exploit/
    >>
    >> "Most agree that Firefox is vulnerable, particularly if QuickTime is
    >> selected as the default media player."
    >>

    > Thanks for the link, it would have been a good idea to include it in the
    > first place.
    >
    > "Window Snyder, Mozilla's security chief said Wednesday her team was
    > looking into the matter."

    A hole has appeared in the road. The police are looking into it.

    > I saw Window's blog entry after i replied to you. I am sure this will be
    > addressed very quickly.

    Doubt it.

    > By the way, OE Quotefix would be a really, really good idea, if you are
    > going to post on Mozilla groups:

    Quoting seems to work for me.
    Are you havving a problem with it?

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 3, 2007
  14. Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >>> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    /snip/
    > Quoting seems to work for me.
    > Are you havving a problem with it?
    >
    >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>
    >> --
    >> Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    >> The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    >> Links: http://www.ufaq.org/ http://mozilla.com http://kb.mozillazine.org

    Yes, and all non OE users will notice it. For example, a compliant
    newsreader will strip my sig line, which you can see is still here.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 3, 2007
  15. Lord Turkey Cough

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >>> "Joe" <> wrote in message

    >>> See my above post.
    >>> I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the
    >>> link.

    >> Well, that's really helpful.

    > True but at least you know your system is insecure :O)

    No, actually, it's not, they are not. Spread all the FUD you like, my
    systems are not compromised. Tell ya what, go ahead and attack them.
    Try your best. Have at it. And, while you're at it, please document
    actual exploitations that have happened because of the vulnerability you
    cited. Please. Just because your house is built of wood, and wood is
    flammable, doesn't mean there are houses burning down all over the
    Mozilla landscape. Sheesh. It is a huge dis-service you are doing, not
    some laudable alert.

    So, just stop the Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt crap. EVERY piece of
    software and every system will, at some time, exhibit some
    vulnerability. Are those exploitable? Have they been exploited? How
    often? And how quickly are those fixed? Compare Open Source products
    with commercial ones (from Microsoft, Adobe, etc.). What gets fixes out
    more quickly?

    Mozilla (and every other Open Source product) is VERY quickly patched to
    address all the yahoos out there targeting them. Your "alert" is a huge
    "yawn" at best. At worst, you're here trying to alarm less
    knowledgeable users for no effect other than to needlessly alarm.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 3, 2007
  16. Lord Turkey Cough

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > "Dan C" <> wrote in message
    >> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >>> "Joe" <> wrote in message

    >>> See my above post.
    >>> I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the
    >>> link.

    >> Prescription: a big chug-a-lug of Robitussin DM, loosening up a big
    >> luggie of information would be "productive" for us all

    > I found it again but I think I have lost it again :O)

    Wow, you really are a fountain of information!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 3, 2007
  17. "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    > /snip/
    >> Quoting seems to work for me.
    >> Are you havving a problem with it?
    >>
    >>> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    >>> The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    >>> Links: http://www.ufaq.org/ http://mozilla.com http://kb.mozillazine.org

    > Yes, and all non OE users will notice it. For example, a compliant
    > newsreader will strip my sig line, which you can see is still here.

    It would appear the problem is 'at your end' then?

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 3, 2007
  18. "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >> "Dan C" <> wrote in message

    >>> Prescription: a big chug-a-lug of Robitussin DM, loosening up a big
    >>> luggie of information would be "productive" for us all

    >> I found it again but I think I have lost it again :O)
    >>

    > Wow, you really are a fountain of information!

    It's called talent :O)

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 3, 2007
  19. "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >

    >> "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well, that's really helpful.

    >> True but at least you know your system is insecure :O)

    > No, actually, it's not, they are not. Spread all the FUD you like, my
    > systems are not compromised. Tell ya what, go ahead and attack them. Try
    > your best. Have at it. And, while you're at it, please document actual
    > exploitations that have happened because of the vulnerability you cited.
    > Please. Just because your house is built of wood, and wood is flammable,
    > doesn't mean there are houses burning down all over the Mozilla landscape.
    > Sheesh. It is a huge dis-service you are doing, not some laudable alert.
    >
    > So, just stop the Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt crap. EVERY piece of
    > software and every system will, at some time, exhibit some vulnerability.
    > Are those exploitable? Have they been exploited? How often? And how
    > quickly are those fixed? Compare Open Source products with commercial
    > ones (from Microsoft, Adobe, etc.). What gets fixes out more quickly?
    >
    > Mozilla (and every other Open Source product) is VERY quickly patched to
    > address all the yahoos out there targeting them. Your "alert" is a huge
    > "yawn" at best. At worst, you're here trying to alarm less knowledgeable
    > users for no effect other than to needlessly alarm.

    Whatever, there is an exploit which can allow someone to comprimise your
    computer, as far as I am aware it has not been fixed.
    If your happy with that them fine.
    I am not.
    If it has been fixed then prove it!!

    It is the 'less knowledgeable users' who should be alarmed as they
    will be the most vunerable to it.

    I have a feeling I may have been 'attacked' before and if I were you I would
    make sure your system does not use Quicktime for the time being, which is
    where the real problem is.

    I have disabled QT for the time being.

    Don't think I need it anyay.

    Will soon find out anyway!!

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 3, 2007
  20. "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in message
    >I heard there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime
    > files which comprimise your security.
    > Not present in IE apparently.
    > I heard FF was supposed to be more secure.
    > Aparently not.

    Anyways.
    It seems the real problem is with the Quicktime Player and that FF does not
    check the files first before using QT as the other browsers do??

    So.....

    It would seem sensible to disable QT by renaming its folder in program files
    from QuickTime to something like QuickTime_bag_of_shit.

    I did this and it stopped another applilcation finding it, it started
    bleating that it could not
    find it, does not seeem FF has required to use it as yet, I need to find a
    way of forcing
    FF to use QT but I am not sure how to do it, but anyway I don't think it
    will find it
    (unless it can reaad my mind, of course).

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 3, 2007