Firefox saturates my computer.

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by jerrysnowman@__________.com, Jun 12, 2005.

  1. Firefox saturates my computer. In other words, the longer I use it,
    the slower my computer gets. Eventually all I hear is the harddrive
    chattering, and chattering, and I can not do anything on the computer.
    I thought clearing the cache cookies and history would solve it, but
    it did not. Then I closed Firefox and was sure that would bring my
    computer back to being usable. NOPE.... It continues to act sluggish
    and the harddrives chatters like crazy and just keeps doing it.
    Rebooting is the only solution. I really like Firefox, but this is
    just too much to handle, because I end up rebooting every few hours,
    or less, if I open many browser pages.

    IE does not do that. I really dislike IE, but I am more or less being
    forced to go back to IE, or else only open one or two pages or tabs
    with FF, then close it, and reopen. Once my computer gets to that
    saturation level, there is no way to regain it's use other than to
    reboot. This is so annoying.

    The FF version is the latest (as of about 2 months ago, I have not
    checked since). For IE, I am using version 5.5.

    I will say this is an older and rather slow computer, but everything
    else seems to work OK, and I can open 10 pages with IE if I want,
    without that saturation problem.

    What causes this?

    Thanks

    Jerry

    jerrysnowman@__________.com, Jun 12, 2005

  2. jerrysnowman@__________.com

    Colyn Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:53:30 -0500, jerrysnowman@__________.com wrote:

    >Firefox saturates my computer. In other words, the longer I use it,
    >the slower my computer gets. Eventually all I hear is the harddrive
    >chattering, and chattering, and I can not do anything on the computer.
    >I thought clearing the cache cookies and history would solve it, but
    >it did not. Then I closed Firefox and was sure that would bring my
    >computer back to being usable. NOPE.... It continues to act sluggish
    >and the harddrives chatters like crazy and just keeps doing it.
    >Rebooting is the only solution. I really like Firefox, but this is
    >just too much to handle, because I end up rebooting every few hours,
    >or less, if I open many browser pages.
    >
    >IE does not do that. I really dislike IE, but I am more or less being
    >forced to go back to IE, or else only open one or two pages or tabs
    >with FF, then close it, and reopen. Once my computer gets to that
    >saturation level, there is no way to regain it's use other than to
    >reboot. This is so annoying.
    >
    >The FF version is the latest (as of about 2 months ago, I have not
    >checked since). For IE, I am using version 5.5.
    >
    >I will say this is an older and rather slow computer, but everything
    >else seems to work OK, and I can open 10 pages with IE if I want,
    >without that saturation problem.
    >
    >What causes this?
    >
    >Thanks

    What OS are you using and how much ram? What is your processor speed?

    The current version is 1.0.4

    --
    Colyn Goodson

    http://home.swbell.net/colyng
    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    Colyn, Jun 12, 2005

  3. On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 04:27:12 GMT, Colyn <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:53:30 -0500, jerrysnowman@__________.com wrote:
    >
    >>Firefox saturates my computer. In other words, the longer I use it,
    >>the slower my computer gets. Eventually all I hear is the harddrive
    >>chattering, and chattering, and I can not do anything on the computer.
    >>I thought clearing the cache cookies and history would solve it, but
    >>it did not. Then I closed Firefox and was sure that would bring my
    >>computer back to being usable. NOPE.... It continues to act sluggish
    >>and the harddrives chatters like crazy and just keeps doing it.
    >>Rebooting is the only solution. I really like Firefox, but this is
    >>just too much to handle, because I end up rebooting every few hours,
    >>or less, if I open many browser pages.
    >>
    >>IE does not do that. I really dislike IE, but I am more or less being
    >>forced to go back to IE, or else only open one or two pages or tabs
    >>with FF, then close it, and reopen. Once my computer gets to that
    >>saturation level, there is no way to regain it's use other than to
    >>reboot. This is so annoying.
    >>
    >>The FF version is the latest (as of about 2 months ago, I have not
    >>checked since). For IE, I am using version 5.5.
    >>
    >>I will say this is an older and rather slow computer, but everything
    >>else seems to work OK, and I can open 10 pages with IE if I want,
    >>without that saturation problem.
    >>
    >>What causes this?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>

    >What OS are you using and how much ram? What is your processor speed?
    >
    >The current version is 1.0.4

    Sorry, I should have said that.
    I am using Win98SE. The puter is a Pentium 233mhz. Ram is 64 megs.
    18 gigs of harddrive, half is empty. 56K USR external modem / dialup
    connection. Video card is a S3 Virge -VX Pci.

    I can not easily tell you the version of FF because it kept loading by
    default, even after I set IE to be the default browser, so I renamed
    the .EXE file to prevent loading it. I really hate going back to IE
    after using FF for over half a year, but I am really tired of
    rebooting all the time, and it seems this saturation problem has
    gotten worse lately.

    In my opinion, it just eats up all my resources and wont give them
    back, even after I close FF. I am not sure how to check the
    resources, but I do know my swap file gets much larger when I use FF
    than when I dont. (I have my puter set to boot to DOS, and
    automatically deletes the old swap file before I type WIN to start
    windows). I boot to dos because I use a dos based phone - address
    book, and dont want to have to wait for Windows to load just to get a
    phone number from that thing. Because I live in a rural area, I must
    always shut off the computer in the summer when it's not in use
    because of lightning, which has killed 3 modems to date.

    jerrysnowman@__________.com, Jun 12, 2005
  4. jerrysnowman@__________.com schrieb:
    > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 04:27:12 GMT, Colyn <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:53:30 -0500, jerrysnowman@__________.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>Firefox saturates my computer. In other words, the longer I use it,
    >>>the slower my computer gets. Eventually all I hear is the harddrive
    >>>chattering, and chattering, and I can not do anything on the computer.
    >>>I thought clearing the cache cookies and history would solve it, but
    >>>it did not. Then I closed Firefox and was sure that would bring my
    >>>computer back to being usable. NOPE.... It continues to act sluggish
    >>>and the harddrives chatters like crazy and just keeps doing it.
    >>>Rebooting is the only solution. I really like Firefox, but this is
    >>>just too much to handle, because I end up rebooting every few hours,
    >>>or less, if I open many browser pages.
    >>>
    >>>IE does not do that. I really dislike IE, but I am more or less being
    >>>forced to go back to IE, or else only open one or two pages or tabs
    >>>with FF, then close it, and reopen. Once my computer gets to that
    >>>saturation level, there is no way to regain it's use other than to
    >>>reboot. This is so annoying.
    >>>
    >>>The FF version is the latest (as of about 2 months ago, I have not
    >>>checked since). For IE, I am using version 5.5.
    >>>
    >>>I will say this is an older and rather slow computer, but everything
    >>>else seems to work OK, and I can open 10 pages with IE if I want,
    >>>without that saturation problem.
    >>>
    >>>What causes this?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>What OS are you using and how much ram? What is your processor speed?
    >>
    >>The current version is 1.0.4

    > Sorry, I should have said that.
    > I am using Win98SE. The puter is a Pentium 233mhz. Ram is 64 megs.
    > 18 gigs of harddrive, half is empty. 56K USR external modem / dialup
    > connection. Video card is a S3 Virge -VX Pci.
    >
    > I can not easily tell you the version of FF because it kept loading by
    > default, even after I set IE to be the default browser, so I renamed
    > the .EXE file to prevent loading it. I really hate going back to IE
    > after using FF for over half a year, but I am really tired of
    > rebooting all the time, and it seems this saturation problem has
    > gotten worse lately.
    >
    > In my opinion, it just eats up all my resources and wont give them
    > back, even after I close FF. I am not sure how to check the
    > resources, but I do know my swap file gets much larger when I use FF
    > than when I dont. (I have my puter set to boot to DOS, and
    > automatically deletes the old swap file before I type WIN to start
    > windows). I boot to dos because I use a dos based phone - address
    > book, and dont want to have to wait for Windows to load just to get a
    > phone number from that thing. Because I live in a rural area, I must
    > always shut off the computer in the summer when it's not in use
    > because of lightning, which has killed 3 modems to date.

    Hello.

    To get the FF Version Start FF then click on Help then about and the
    Version comes up.

    If you want to use IE you should at least use the actual Version 6.1SP1.

    Have you checked your HDD for defective Clusters recently?

    Till then,
    --
    -======================Jan-Peter Ruehmann============================-
    Gubkower Str.7 [ Tel.: +49 (38205) 65484 ]

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Peter_R=FChmann?=, Jun 12, 2005
  5. On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:55:06 +0200, Jan-Peter Rühmann
    <> wrote:

    >jerrysnowman@__________.com schrieb:

    >>>What OS are you using and how much ram? What is your processor speed?
    >>>
    >>>The current version is 1.0.4

    >> Sorry, I should have said that.
    >> I am using Win98SE. The puter is a Pentium 233mhz. Ram is 64 megs.
    >> 18 gigs of harddrive, half is empty. 56K USR external modem / dialup
    >> connection. Video card is a S3 Virge -VX Pci.
    >>
    >> I can not easily tell you the version of FF because it kept loading by
    >> default, even after I set IE to be the default browser, so I renamed
    >> the .EXE file to prevent loading it. I really hate going back to IE
    >> after using FF for over half a year, but I am really tired of
    >> rebooting all the time, and it seems this saturation problem has
    >> gotten worse lately.
    >>
    >> In my opinion, it just eats up all my resources and wont give them
    >> back, even after I close FF. I am not sure how to check the
    >> resources, but I do know my swap file gets much larger when I use FF
    >> than when I dont. (I have my puter set to boot to DOS, and
    >> automatically deletes the old swap file before I type WIN to start
    >> windows). I boot to dos because I use a dos based phone - address
    >> book, and dont want to have to wait for Windows to load just to get a
    >> phone number from that thing. Because I live in a rural area, I must
    >> always shut off the computer in the summer when it's not in use
    >> because of lightning, which has killed 3 modems to date.
    >>

    >Hello.
    >
    >To get the FF Version Start FF then click on Help then about and the
    >Version comes up.
    >
    >If you want to use IE you should at least use the actual Version 6.1SP1.
    >
    >Have you checked your HDD for defective Clusters recently?
    >
    >Till then,

    It's FF version 1.0

    Why should I use IE 6.1? I am satisfied with 5.5, and since this is a
    slower computer, I'd think that would load slower and eat more
    resources.

    Yes, I just did a complete scandisk and defrag last week, plus cleaned
    the registry and did all the spyware checks.
    Everything was fine.

    Thanks

    Jerry

    jerrysnowman@__________.com, Jun 12, 2005
  6. jerrysnowman@__________.com

    Z Guest

    jerrysnowman@__________.com wrote:
    > I can not easily tell you the version of FF because it kept loading by
    > default, even after I set IE to be the default browser, so I renamed
    > the .EXE file to prevent loading it.

    You should disable programs from loading automatically with
    Start > Run > msconfig > Ok
    not by renaming the program.

    While in there, you can see what else is starting at boot time.

    > after using FF for over half a year, but I am really tired of
    > rebooting all the time, and it seems this saturation problem has
    > gotten worse lately.

    It's possible that you have many unnecessary items starting at boot
    time. Msconfig will show you what is set to start automatically and
    allow you to disable them.

    Z, Jun 12, 2005
  7. jerrysnowman@__________.com

    Colyn Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 01:53:16 -0500, jerrysnowman@__________.com wrote:

    >>What OS are you using and how much ram? What is your processor speed?
    >>
    >>The current version is 1.0.4

    >Sorry, I should have said that.
    >I am using Win98SE. The puter is a Pentium 233mhz. Ram is 64 megs.
    >18 gigs of harddrive, half is empty. 56K USR external modem / dialup
    >connection. Video card is a S3 Virge -VX Pci.

    You are at the bottom of the minimum requirements. Below is the system
    requirements.

    If you increase the ram it would run a lot better.

    I have it installed on a P II 366mhz laptop with 256meg ram and Win
    2k. It runs fine.

    Firefox System Requirements
    Windows
    Operating Systems

    * Windows 98
    * Windows 98SE
    * Windows ME
    * Windows NT 4.0
    * Windows 2000
    * Windows XP (Recommended)
    * Windows Server 2003

    Minimum Hardware

    * Pentium 233 MHz (Recommended: Pentium 500MHz or greater)
    * 64 MB RAM (Recommended: 128 MB RAM or greater)
    * 52 MB hard drive space

    --
    Colyn Goodson

    http://home.swbell.net/colyng
    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    Colyn, Jun 12, 2005
  8. Le 12/06/2005 08:53, jerrysnowman@__________.com a écrit :
    > Sorry, I should have said that.
    > I am using Win98SE. The puter is a Pentium 233mhz. Ram is 64 megs.
    > 18 gigs of harddrive, half is empty. 56K USR external modem / dialup
    > connection. Video card is a S3 Virge -VX Pci.

    64MB is not enough for Firefox which is rather RAM hungry.

    I use Firefox on a AMD300MHZ processor (roughly equivalent to an
    INTEL233MHZ one) without any problem but I have 256MB RAM. You should be
    able to upgrade it to 128 or 256MB easily for less than 30€ and all your
    software will run better, not only Firefox.

    (When you load windows, most of IE is loaded with it)

    Pascal

    Pascal Chevrel, Jun 12, 2005
  9. On 2005-06-12, jerrysnowman@__________.com <jerrysnowman@__________.com> wrote:

    > I am using Win98SE. The puter is a Pentium 233mhz. Ram is 64 megs.
    > 18 gigs of harddrive, half is empty. 56K USR external modem / dialup
    > connection. Video card is a S3 Virge -VX Pci.

    > It's FF version 1.0

    IIRC, there were some memory leak issues fixed in v1.0.4

    > Why should I use IE 6.1? I am satisfied with 5.5, and since this is a
    > slower computer, I'd think that would load slower and eat more
    > resources.

    IE v5.5 has many security vulnerabilities that will not be fixed. I don't
    think there is a v6.1 for Win98, but I may be mistaken, but one of the
    later v6.0 updates should be OK, and safer to use than what you currently
    have.

    --

    -John ()

    John Thompson, Jun 12, 2005
  10. On 2005-06-12, Pascal Chevrel <> wrote:
    > Le 12/06/2005 08:53, jerrysnowman@__________.com a écrit :
    >> Sorry, I should have said that.
    >> I am using Win98SE. The puter is a Pentium 233mhz. Ram is 64 megs.
    >> 18 gigs of harddrive, half is empty. 56K USR external modem / dialup
    >> connection. Video card is a S3 Virge -VX Pci.

    > 64MB is not enough for Firefox which is rather RAM hungry.
    >
    > I use Firefox on a AMD300MHZ processor (roughly equivalent to an
    > INTEL233MHZ one) without any problem but I have 256MB RAM. You should be
    > able to upgrade it to 128 or 256MB easily for less than 30€ and all your
    > software will run better, not only Firefox.

    I run FF on a PII-400 with 192MB RAM and it works fine (but with linux,
    not Windows). But your suggestion to max out the RAM is certainly
    appropriate.

    > (When you load windows, most of IE is loaded with it)

    More to the point, it's in memory and can't be unloaded, so when you use
    Firefox you not only have Firefox in RAM, but a good portion of IE as well
    (everything except the user interface, basically).

    --

    -John ()

    John Thompson, Jun 12, 2005
  11. On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 07:08:40 -0700, Z <> wrote:

    >jerrysnowman@__________.com wrote:
    >> I can not easily tell you the version of FF because it kept loading by
    >> default, even after I set IE to be the default browser, so I renamed
    >> the .EXE file to prevent loading it.

    >You should disable programs from loading automatically with
    > Start > Run > msconfig > Ok
    >not by renaming the program.
    >
    >While in there, you can see what else is starting at boot time.
    >

    >> after using FF for over half a year, but I am really tired of
    >> rebooting all the time, and it seems this saturation problem has
    >> gotten worse lately.

    >It's possible that you have many unnecessary items starting at boot
    >time. Msconfig will show you what is set to start automatically and
    >allow you to disable them.

    You got me wrong. FF was not loading automatically, and I never allow
    ANY prgms to load at startup. The only thing loading at startup are
    those required by windows. Which amounts to 4 things. I dont even
    load a virus scanner, I scan manually. I have always been a stickler
    abotu this.

    jerrysnowman@__________.com, Jun 12, 2005
  12. jerrysnowman@__________.com

    Seth Guest

    Get either more ram or a new computer!
    What are you waiting for?
    Win 98! is a piece of shit - if you must use it, get some ram.

    Seth, Jun 12, 2005
  13. jerrysnowman@__________.com

    Colyn Guest

    Colyn, Jun 12, 2005
  14. jerrysnowman@__________.com

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth jerrysnowman@__________.com in

    > Ram is 64 megs.

    There's your problem.

    Win98 itself barely runs reliably in that much RAM. Run anything on
    top of it, and you end up swapping to disk so much that you'll bog
    down your PC. Double that amount, and you will find performance of
    everything you use will improve greatly.

    Hell, I might be willing to send you 64 MB for free. What is your
    PC's RAM spec?

    --
    George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
    Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

    Tom Betz, Jun 13, 2005
  15. jerrysnowman@__________.com

    Skeebo Guest

    Quote: "I am using Win98SE"

    Well, there ya go. That's like hitting youself in the head with a ball peen
    hammer at least once a day. Mayhaps it's time to move to real OS?

    Skeebo, Jun 13, 2005
  16. On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:57:25 GMT, Colyn <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:20:27 -0500, jerrysnowman@__________.com wrote:
    >
    >>I dont even
    >>load a virus scanner, I scan manually. I have always been a stickler
    >>abotu this.
    >>

    >Very dangerous...especially if you browse the net much.
    >
    >Virus can get in and by the time you do a manual scan many file can be
    >destroyed.

    Well, I have been on the net for about 10 years and never once got a
    virus. I have gotten my share of spyware, but never a virus. Of
    course, it depends on the sites. The sites I visit are what would be
    "G" rated. I seldom download, and what I do, I manually scan before I
    open it. My email software is TEXT only. No html mail, and I never
    open attachments except pictures from trusted friends.

    The last virus I had was the Michaleangelo virus back in the early
    90's which was a dos virus and I got it in an infected floppy.

    Also, as far as I know, it is not possible to get a virus from
    visiting any websites. They can only be gotten from downloads, email,
    and disks from other infected computers. Spyware on the other hand
    CAN be gotten from websites, and I have had far too many of those
    g*ddamn things.

    Jerry

    jerrysnowman@__________.com, Jun 13, 2005
  17. On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:05:39 +0000 (UTC), Tom Betz
    <> wrote:

    >Quoth jerrysnowman@__________.com in
    >
    >> Ram is 64 megs.

    >There's your problem.
    >
    >Win98 itself barely runs reliably in that much RAM. Run anything on
    >top of it, and you end up swapping to disk so much that you'll bog
    >down your PC. Double that amount, and you will find performance of
    >everything you use will improve greatly.
    >
    >Hell, I might be willing to send you 64 MB for free. What is your
    >PC's RAM spec?

    What do I need to look for? I know they are doublesided.
    I am half blind, but from what I can see. the strip says 32mb 4X64
    Sync Dimm
    Then it has SY3204641S (I had to put on two pairs of glasses at the
    same time to read that)

    Thanks

    Jerry

    jerrysnowman@__________.com, Jun 13, 2005
  18. On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 04:45:46 GMT, "Skeebo"
    <[nospam]> wrote:

    >Quote: "I am using Win98SE"
    >
    >Well, there ya go. That's like hitting youself in the head with a ball peen
    >hammer at least once a day. Mayhaps it's time to move to real OS?

    A """REAL""" OS ????
    That leaves out anything made by MS !!!
    You must be using a Macintosh !!!

    If you are talking about XP. This computer wont run it, and I am too
    underemployed to buy a new one. I could upgrade to WinME, and even
    have it, but everyone warns me to avoid it.

    Jerry

    jerrysnowman@__________.com, Jun 13, 2005
  19. jerrysnowman@__________.com

    default Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:53:30 -0500, jerrysnowman@__________.com wrote:

    >Firefox saturates my computer. In other words, the longer I use it,
    >the slower my computer gets. Eventually all I hear is the harddrive
    >chattering, and chattering, and I can not do anything on the computer.
    >I thought clearing the cache cookies and history would solve it, but
    >it did not. Then I closed Firefox and was sure that would bring my
    >computer back to being usable. NOPE.... It continues to act sluggish
    >and the harddrives chatters like crazy and just keeps doing it.
    >Rebooting is the only solution. I really like Firefox, but this is
    >just too much to handle, because I end up rebooting every few hours,
    >or less, if I open many browser pages.
    >
    >IE does not do that. I really dislike IE, but I am more or less being
    >forced to go back to IE, or else only open one or two pages or tabs
    >with FF, then close it, and reopen. Once my computer gets to that
    >saturation level, there is no way to regain it's use other than to
    >reboot. This is so annoying.
    >
    >The FF version is the latest (as of about 2 months ago, I have not
    >checked since). For IE, I am using version 5.5.
    >
    >I will say this is an older and rather slow computer, but everything
    >else seems to work OK, and I can open 10 pages with IE if I want,
    >without that saturation problem.
    >
    >What causes this?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Jerry

    I have a similar computer (300 Celeron) but with 320 meg of ram and
    large fast hard drive and card. Using windows ME FF 1.0.4 and
    experienced a slowdown the longer I ran FF - which wasn't much because
    of the slowdown.

    I didn't hear the hard drive chattering, but my larger ram might have
    prevented that particular symptom.

    Check your cookies.txt file (search for it using windows) if you see
    multiple cookies files "cookies-1.txt", "cookies-2.txt" (and up) and
    "cookies.txt.moztmp" there's a problem that will slow down your
    computer and hog memory.

    Close FF and delete the extra cookies files and cookies.txt.moztmp.
    Check the one "cookies.txt" file that's left - it should not have the
    read-only attribute set in windows - if it does, change it and apply
    the change. (the moztmp file FF creates is read-only - but you dump
    that one)

    It is caused by a read-only attribute set in windows on the
    cookies.txt file (a hacker trick that worked in Netscape to dump
    cookies when the browser shuts down) Another way the read-only
    attribute can be set is if a CDRW is used to store and restore
    critical Moz files.

    I was dumping the files manually (so it never got really slow) until
    someone on this board, Rom, clued me in.

    He did some further research and it is a well known bug. See:

    A similar thing happens if the bookmarks or profile files are made
    read-only (deliberately or being saved and restored from a CDRW drive)
    So search for those as well.

    This problem occurs in versions after .8 and still occurs in version
    1.0.4, if my memory serves me. And if you haven't already done it,
    switch to version 1.0.4, it seems a little faster.

    BTW also use dial up in a rural area and USR external and lightening
    has eaten two of my modems (currently on #3). #3 has lasted 4 years
    now so either USR got it right - finally, or that little choke I
    slipped over the phone line really does something, or the lightening
    arrestor I had the phone company replace. I still unplug during
    lightening storms when I'm around to do it.

    There's a bug in the earlier USR modems that causes them to
    continuously negotiate a slower speed when noise on the line is
    encountered - and they don't recover until the connection is broken
    and redialed. The updated firmware from USR fixes that.

    Like some others have suggested, RAM is a good investment. The price
    keeps coming down and it really helps speed up an older computer. You
    can replace or add ram yourself. Read up on the process first, then
    just be careful while doing it. It isn't particularly hard, but the
    insertion force required on memory cards can be high - and you risk
    damaging the socket if you don't push it in straight.

    default, Jun 13, 2005
  20. jerrysnowman@__________.com

    Colyn Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 04:57:46 -0500, jerrysnowman@__________.com wrote:

    >Well, I have been on the net for about 10 years and never once got a
    >virus. I have gotten my share of spyware, but never a virus. Of
    >course, it depends on the sites. The sites I visit are what would be
    >"G" rated. I seldom download, and what I do, I manually scan before I
    >open it. My email software is TEXT only. No html mail, and I never
    >open attachments except pictures from trusted friends.

    Are you sure you are not infected right now? I've heard a lot of
    people say they don't get infected only to find a computer full of
    virus and spyware/adware.

    Do you keep your virus pattern up to date?

    Many virus can slip in even from so called "G" rated (are there any of
    these left??) sites and when you run a virus scan, they don't show up
    but if your scanner was running in the background they would be caught
    before having the chance to infect.

    I don't mean to be rude or sarcastic but anybody who is on line
    without a virus scanner running in the background is causing the
    spread of virus.

    >Also, as far as I know, it is not possible to get a virus from
    >visiting any websites. They can only be gotten from downloads, email,
    >and disks from other infected computers.

    Untrue...

    Some websites use javascript or other means to dump virus and/or
    spyware/adware on an unprotected machine.

    My nephew visited a so-called friendly teen website and ended up with
    a virus.

    >Spyware on the other hand
    >CAN be gotten from websites, and I have had far too many of those
    >g*ddamn things.

    A lot of people mistake simple cookies for spyware which some are. I
    set firefox to dump all cookies when I close.

    --
    Colyn Goodson

    http://home.swbell.net/colyng
    http://www.colyngoodson.com