  1. Looks like IE7 has only succeeded in replacing IE6, it has done nothing to
    stem the increase in market share of Firefox:
    <http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196901142>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2007

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:21:45 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >Looks like IE7 has only succeeded in replacing IE6, it has done nothing to
    >stem the increase in market share of Firefox:
    ><http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196901142>.

    Isn't it funny. FF is now the buggiest, most insecure browser, yet you
    are still singing its praises as though it was the second coming.

    What happened to "don't use insecure browsers"?

    --
    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Fred Dagg, Jan 23, 2007

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Zipper Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:21:45 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> exclaimed:
    >
    >> Looks like IE7 has only succeeded in replacing IE6, it has done nothing to
    >> stem the increase in market share of Firefox:
    >> <http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196901142>.

    > Isn't it funny. FF is now the buggiest, most insecure browser, yet you
    > are still singing its praises as though it was the second coming.
    >
    > What happened to "don't use insecure browsers"?

    I wouldn't know about it being the buggiest etc but it definitely isn't
    as nice as Opera or as fast as Opera. I often wonder why it is so
    popular.... I assume it is just the fact that it is open source and the
    open source crowd feel obliged to support it. I will stick with Opera
    as it is the most secure still and feels the nicest for me at least.

    Zipper, Jan 23, 2007
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:02:08 +1300, Zipper <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:21:45 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Looks like IE7 has only succeeded in replacing IE6, it has done nothing to
    >>> stem the increase in market share of Firefox:
    >>> <http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196901142>.

    >> Isn't it funny. FF is now the buggiest, most insecure browser, yet you
    >> are still singing its praises as though it was the second coming.
    >>
    >> What happened to "don't use insecure browsers"?
    >>

    >I wouldn't know about it being the buggiest etc but it definitely isn't
    >as nice as Opera or as fast as Opera. I often wonder why it is so
    >popular.... I assume it is just the fact that it is open source and the
    >open source crowd feel obliged to support it. I will stick with Opera
    >as it is the most secure still and feels the nicest for me at least.

    Yup, I agree 100%.

    I think FF is popular because of the viral marketing that goes with a
    lot of OSS, because Google gives it serious amounts of support in
    several avenues (It is pretty much Google's browser), and because many
    people don't know that Opera is free (and a lot more secure, etc).

    Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 23, 2007
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > I think FF is popular because of the viral marketing that goes with a
    > lot of OSS, because Google gives it serious amounts of support in
    > several avenues (It is pretty much Google's browser), and because many
    > people don't know that Opera is free (and a lot more secure, etc).
    >
    > Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.

    Another reason is that people get hooked on the extensions in Firefox.
    There are a lot that I use all the time, so FF is my main browser, despite
    Opera being faster and more accurate at rendering pages.

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 23, 2007
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:00:36 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
    <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> I think FF is popular because of the viral marketing that goes with a
    >> lot of OSS, because Google gives it serious amounts of support in
    >> several avenues (It is pretty much Google's browser), and because many
    >> people don't know that Opera is free (and a lot more secure, etc).
    >>
    >> Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.

    >Another reason is that people get hooked on the extensions in Firefox.
    >There are a lot that I use all the time, so FF is my main browser, despite
    >Opera being faster and more accurate at rendering pages.

    But the thing is, most of the extensions are built into Opera
    anyway... (eg Mouse Gestures).

    Fred Dagg, Jan 23, 2007
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Hope Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:00:36 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> I think FF is popular because of the viral marketing that goes with
    >>> a lot of OSS, because Google gives it serious amounts of support in
    >>> several avenues (It is pretty much Google's browser), and because
    >>> many people don't know that Opera is free (and a lot more secure,
    >>> etc).
    >>>
    >>> Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.

    >>Another reason is that people get hooked on the extensions in Firefox.
    >>There are a lot that I use all the time, so FF is my main browser,
    >>despite Opera being faster and more accurate at rendering pages.
    >>

    > But the thing is, most of the extensions are built into Opera
    > anyway... (eg Mouse Gestures).

    I don't particularly like FF on Linux (I think it's good on Windows but
    I find the interface a bit odd on Linux) and I've never liked Opera - I
    use Konqueror myself. There are however a lot of really cool extensions
    in FF for web developers which I doubt are in Opera.

    Chris Hope, Jan 23, 2007
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:00:36 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> I think FF is popular because of the viral marketing that goes with
    >>> a lot of OSS, because Google gives it serious amounts of support in
    >>> several avenues (It is pretty much Google's browser), and because
    >>> many people don't know that Opera is free (and a lot more secure,
    >>> etc).
    >>>
    >>> Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.

    >> Another reason is that people get hooked on the extensions in
    >> Firefox. There are a lot that I use all the time, so FF is my main
    >> browser, despite Opera being faster and more accurate at rendering
    >> pages.
    >>

    > But the thing is, most of the extensions are built into Opera
    > anyway... (eg Mouse Gestures).

    I was going to argue that the extensions I use aren't built into Opera, but
    I Googled first so that I wouldn't sound like an uninformed fool, and most
    of them (Web dev toolbar, GreaseMonkey) are available for Opera. No
    StumbleUpon though, which I use all the time when I'm bored.

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 23, 2007
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Hope Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:00:36 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
    >> <> exclaimed:

    >>> Another reason is that people get hooked on the extensions in
    >>> Firefox. There are a lot that I use all the time, so FF is my main
    >>> browser, despite Opera being faster and more accurate at rendering
    >>> pages.
    >>>

    >> But the thing is, most of the extensions are built into Opera
    >> anyway... (eg Mouse Gestures).

    > I was going to argue that the extensions I use aren't built into
    > Opera, but I Googled first so that I wouldn't sound like an uninformed
    > fool, and most
    > of them (

    > Web dev toolbar,

    That's one of the ones I was probably thinking of. So I guess I'm the
    uninformed fool then ;)

    Chris Hope, Jan 23, 2007
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 23, 2007
  11. In message <>, Chris Hope wrote:

    > I don't particularly like FF on Linux (I think it's good on Windows but
    > I find the interface a bit odd on Linux) and I've never liked Opera - I
    > use Konqueror myself.

    I use both--different tools for different purposes.

    One thing about Firefox--I've used it since about version 1.0.8, I think it
    was. From that version right through to 2.0.0, it would only run
    continuously for about 5 days at a time, after which it would get flaky and
    die.

    I upgraded to 2.0.0.1 around Christmastime, and that Firefox process has
    been running continuously since that time, without any misbehaviour at all.
    As far as I can tell, I've been doing what I usually do--visit several
    websites a day, open and close lots of windows and tabs--and it has now
    been going about 4 weeks just fine.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2007
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Hope Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> I don't particularly like FF on Linux (I think it's good on Windows
    >> but I find the interface a bit odd on Linux) and I've never liked
    >> Opera - I use Konqueror myself.

    > I use both--different tools for different purposes.
    >
    > One thing about Firefox--I've used it since about version 1.0.8, I

    I've been using it since about 0.6 ;)

    Chris Hope, Jan 23, 2007
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Larry Spitz Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I upgraded to 2.0.0.1 around Christmastime, and that Firefox process has
    > been running continuously since that time, without any misbehaviour at
    > all. As far as I can tell, I've been doing what I usually do--visit
    > several websites a day, open and close lots of windows and tabs--and it
    > has now been going about 4 weeks just fine.

    I wish my experience were the same. I have been using FF for a couple of
    years and recently upgraded to 2.0.0.1 (FC6). Now I have an average of a
    few crashes per day, usually when loading a new page but sometimes when
    scrolling. When I restart FF I elect to resume the previous session and
    everything goes fine for anywhere from a few minutes to a day or two, then
    the FF window just disappears again. I have never seen this behaviour
    before with previous revisions of FF.

    Larry Spitz, Jan 23, 2007
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in news:ep419j$s2s$:

    > Another reason is that people get hooked on the extensions in Firefox.
    > There are a lot that I use all the time, so FF is my main browser,
    > despite Opera being faster and more accurate at rendering pages.

    I use FF all the time. Yes, I use it because of extentions that make my
    browser do what I want.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 23, 2007
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:02:08 +1300, Zipper <> exclaimed:
    >
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:21:45 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >>> <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >>> Isn't it funny. FF is now the buggiest, most insecure browser, yet you
    >>> are still singing its praises as though it was the second coming.
    >>>
    >>> What happened to "don't use insecure browsers"?
    >>>

    >> I wouldn't know about it being the buggiest etc but it definitely isn't
    >> as nice as Opera or as fast as Opera. I often wonder why it is so
    >> popular.... I assume it is just the fact that it is open source and the
    >> open source crowd feel obliged to support it. I will stick with Opera
    >> as it is the most secure still and feels the nicest for me at least.

    > Yup, I agree 100%.
    >
    > I think FF is popular because of the viral marketing that goes with a
    > lot of OSS, because Google gives it serious amounts of support in
    > several avenues (It is pretty much Google's browser), and because many
    > people don't know that Opera is free (and a lot more secure, etc).
    >
    > Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.

    Opera is not available for all platforms.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jan 23, 2007
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:25:43 +1300, Larry Spitz <>
    exclaimed:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >

    >> I upgraded to 2.0.0.1 around Christmastime, and that Firefox process has
    >> been running continuously since that time, without any misbehaviour at
    >> all. As far as I can tell, I've been doing what I usually do--visit
    >> several websites a day, open and close lots of windows and tabs--and it
    >> has now been going about 4 weeks just fine.

    >I wish my experience were the same. I have been using FF for a couple of
    >years and recently upgraded to 2.0.0.1 (FC6). Now I have an average of a
    >few crashes per day, usually when loading a new page but sometimes when
    >scrolling. When I restart FF I elect to resume the previous session and
    >everything goes fine for anywhere from a few minutes to a day or two, then
    >the FF window just disappears again. I have never seen this behaviour
    >before with previous revisions of FF.

    Try Opera. It's free, and honestly, you'll never go back.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 23, 2007
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:01:33 +1300, Enkidu <>
    exclaimed:

    >> Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.
    >>

    >Opera is not available for all platforms.

    I know we've had this argument before, but it is available for every
    platform that matters.

    For instance, Linux:
    Opera provides pre-compiled packages specifically for Xandros 1.0,
    1.1, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, Debian Unstable, Testing, 2.2, 3.0, 3.2, Fedora
    Core 2,3,4,5, Gentoo 1.0, 1.1a, 1.2, 1.4, 2004.x, Linspire
    3.0,4.0,4.5,5.0, MEPIS 3.4-3, 3.3.1, Mandriva 10.1, 2005, 2006, RedHat
    6.2, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, 9, RH Enterprise 2.1, 3, 4, Skolelinux 1.0,
    2.0, Slackware 8.0, 8.1, 9.0, 9.1, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, SuSE 7.x, 8.0,
    8.1, 8.2, 9.0, 9.2, 9.3, 10.0, 10.1, TurboLinux 3.0, 4.0, 4.2, 7S, 7W,
    8S, 8W, 10D, 10F, 11, and Ubuntu 4.1, 5.04, 5.1, and 6.06. As well as
    TAR.GZ, of course.

    And that's only on i386. They also supply binaries for most Linux
    versions on Sparc and PowerPC.

    Oh, and there is a single Windows version that runs on pretty much all
    versions of Windows. And it just works.

    BTW, they also provide binary versions for FreeBSD, BeOS, Solaris
    Sparc and Intel, QNX, OS/2, and MacOS, as well as various other
    platforms (PocketPC, cellphones, etc).

    So just because you can't get it running on your weirdarse
    configuration, even though other people have had no problem, doesn't
    mean a thing.

    And anyway, most people use Windows, so that's all that really
    matters.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 23, 2007
  18. In message <>, Larry Spitz wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> I upgraded to 2.0.0.1 around Christmastime, and that Firefox process has
    >> been running continuously since that time, without any misbehaviour at
    >> all. As far as I can tell, I've been doing what I usually do--visit
    >> several websites a day, open and close lots of windows and tabs--and it
    >> has now been going about 4 weeks just fine.

    > I wish my experience were the same. I have been using FF for a couple of
    > years and recently upgraded to 2.0.0.1 (FC6). Now I have an average of a
    > few crashes per day, usually when loading a new page but sometimes when
    > scrolling.

    Earlier last month, I was having lots of Firefox crashes--it was
    consistently misbehaving after about a couple of days, rather than the 5
    days or so I had been experiencing previously. I decided it was because I
    had installed nspluginwrapper to use the Adobe Flash plug-in with 64-bit
    Firefox. I deinstalled that, which of course disabled Flash at the same
    time. That's when the reliability of my Firefox went way up.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2007
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:43:45 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >In message <>, Larry Spitz wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> I upgraded to 2.0.0.1 around Christmastime, and that Firefox process has
    >>> been running continuously since that time, without any misbehaviour at
    >>> all. As far as I can tell, I've been doing what I usually do--visit
    >>> several websites a day, open and close lots of windows and tabs--and it
    >>> has now been going about 4 weeks just fine.

    >> I wish my experience were the same. I have been using FF for a couple of
    >> years and recently upgraded to 2.0.0.1 (FC6). Now I have an average of a
    >> few crashes per day, usually when loading a new page but sometimes when
    >> scrolling.

    >Earlier last month, I was having lots of Firefox crashes--it was
    >consistently misbehaving after about a couple of days, rather than the 5
    >days or so I had been experiencing previously. I decided it was because I
    >had installed nspluginwrapper to use the Adobe Flash plug-in with 64-bit
    >Firefox. I deinstalled that, which of course disabled Flash at the same
    >time. That's when the reliability of my Firefox went way up.

    So by disabling Flash, a standard part of any web browser, the
    reliability of your browser went from 2 days use to 5 days use??

    And this is the best Open Source can deliver???

    No wonder you're so worried about Vista.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 23, 2007
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Earl Grey Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > So by disabling Flash, a standard part of any web browser, the
    > reliability of your browser went from 2 days use to 5 days use??
    >
    > And this is the best Open Source can deliver???
    >
    > No wonder you're so worried about Vista.

    Flash isn't open source software.

    Earl Grey, Jan 23, 2007