    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

    Old Gringo, Mar 24, 2005

  2. "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    news:3BA0e.3089$...
    > http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)

    And I'd say expect more as Firefox becomes more and more popular and the
    dickheads focus on it more.

    People forget that a big part of the reason that IE has had so many
    vulnerabilities exposed is that being the dominant browser, it is the
    obvious target for the dickheads.

    Martin Harran, Mar 24, 2005

  3. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Martin Harran wrote:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)

    > And I'd say expect more as Firefox becomes more and more popular and the
    > dickheads focus on it more.
    >
    > People forget that a big part of the reason that IE has had so many
    > vulnerabilities exposed is that being the dominant browser, it is the
    > obvious target for the dickheads.

    Totally agree with you on that one.

    Old Gringo, Mar 24, 2005
  4. It was on Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:03:09 +0000, that Martin Harran contributed:

    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)

    > And I'd say expect more as Firefox becomes more and more popular and the
    > dickheads focus on it more.

    Not very likely.

    "On Tuesday, Mozilla president Mitchell Baker predicted that Firefox won't
    suffer nearly as many security flaws as Internet Explorer and that the
    increasing popularity of the open-source browser won't change that."

    "..only seven of the flaws in Firefox were considered "highly severe,"
    compared with nine in Internet Explorer."
    - Security technology provider Symantec -

    > People forget that a big part of the reason that IE has had so many
    > vulnerabilities exposed is that being the dominant browser, it is the
    > obvious target for the dickheads.

    That is just another myth. Most of the things that are being fixed in
    FireFox are /potential/ exploits, which NO one has yet figured out how to
    use.
    - Mozilla's Chris Hofmann -

    Perce P. Cassidy, Mar 24, 2005
  5. Graham P. Filderson, Mar 24, 2005
  6. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Graham P. Filderson wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:59:11 GMT, Old Gringo
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)

    > Thanks

    Good way to get the word out here, and you are welcome.

    Old Gringo, Mar 24, 2005
  7. "Perce P. Cassidy" <> wrote in message
    > It was on Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:03:09 +0000, that Martin Harran contributed:
    >

    >> "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)

    >> And I'd say expect more as Firefox becomes more and more popular and the
    >> dickheads focus on it more.

    > Not very likely.

    Are you a betting man ?

    Martin Harran, Mar 24, 2005
  8. Old Gringo

    123 Guest

    Martin Harran wrote:

    > People forget that a big part of the reason that IE has had so many
    > vulnerabilities exposed is that being the dominant browser, it is the
    > obvious target for the dickheads.

    False. IE has "zones" that can be disabled whereas Firefox doesn't.
    IE uses ActiveX whereas Firefox doesn't. That's two examples of why
    IE is targetted more whereas Firefox isn't -- there's simply nothing
    in Firefox that can be disabled ("zones") or exploited (ActiveX).

    Further, it's been shown that the popularity of something doesn't
    always make it a target -- Apache (non-Microsoft) is more popular
    and widespread than Microsoft's IIS, but IIS has way more security
    holes than Apache (source: http://tinyurl.com/6hx38).

    123, Mar 25, 2005
  9. Old Gringo

    elaich Guest

    "Martin Harran" <> wrote in

    > People forget that a big part of the reason that IE has had so many
    > vulnerabilities exposed is that being the dominant browser, it is the
    > obvious target for the dickheads.

    That's the old Microsoft line. I say it's totally bogus.

    There are "dickheads" working just as hard to exploit Firefox, as well as
    Linux, because of the challenge and the notoriety they would receive in the
    hackers realm if they managed to exploit them.

    The fact is that the code is inherently more secure. This latest Firefox
    exploit was found in the "legacy" code - that is, the old Netscape/Mozilla
    code that predates Firefox. That's roughly similar to an IE exploit being
    caused by some old leftover Mosaic code that's buried deep inside.

    And, as usual, they fixed it immediately. Microsoft would be hemming and
    hawing around over it, trying to decide if it's worth a patch, and trying
    to figure out if they could wait and include it in the next Service Pack.

    elaich, Mar 25, 2005