    I did a system restore.

    Nothing on the tool bar works, (File, edit, bookmarks, tools, help)(no
    pull down menus)

    Vernon, Oct 10, 2005

  2. Vernon

    The One Guest

    "Vernon" <> wrote in message
    news:434aa0ef$0$5443$...
    > I had a problem with the Internet. FF quit working.
    >
    > I got IE working but not FF.
    >
    > I uninstaalled FF, restarted the computer, reinstalled FF, restarted the
    > computer, and still nothing but the FF scree.
    > No Internet connection except it seems update works (goes through the
    > motions)
    > I cleaned up the registry, I think.
    > I did a system restore.
    >
    > Nothing on the tool bar works, (File, edit, bookmarks, tools, help)(no
    > pull down menus)

    FF is shite, im fed up of it refusing to work at random intervals.

    The One, Oct 10, 2005

  3. Vernon

    Doug G Guest

    Vernon wrote:
    > I had a problem with the Internet. FF quit working.
    >
    > I got IE working but not FF.
    >
    > I uninstaalled FF, restarted the computer, reinstalled FF, restarted the
    > computer, and still nothing but the FF scree.
    > No Internet connection except it seems update works (goes through the
    > motions)
    > I cleaned up the registry, I think.
    > I did a system restore.
    >
    > Nothing on the tool bar works, (File, edit, bookmarks, tools, help)(no
    > pull down menus)

    An incompatible theme or extension may be the culprit. Try starting
    Firefox in Safe Mode (themes and extensions are disabled in Safe Mode).
    Look for the Firefox (Safe Mode) shortcut on Windows' Start menu.

    Your Firefox profile may be broken, try creating a new one.

    Doug G, Oct 10, 2005
  4. Vernon

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:12:16 -0700, in the alt.fan.mozilla News
    Group, Without Any Hesitation Vernon Wrote The Following:

    > I had a problem with the Internet. FF quit working.
    >
    > I got IE working but not FF.
    >
    > I uninstaalled FF, restarted the computer, reinstalled FF, restarted the
    > computer, and still nothing but the FF scree.
    > No Internet connection except it seems update works (goes through the
    > motions)
    > I cleaned up the registry, I think.
    > I did a system restore.
    >
    > Nothing on the tool bar works, (File, edit, bookmarks, tools, help)(no
    > pull down menus)

    Do you have a home page set for FireFox? In the address bar type in
    google.com or yahoo.com and see if it will go there.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be

    Old Gringo, Oct 10, 2005
  5. Vernon

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:49:54 +0100, in the alt.fan.mozilla News
    Group, Without Any Hesitation The One Wrote The Following:

    > "Vernon" <> wrote in message
    >> I had a problem with the Internet. FF quit working.
    >>
    >> I got IE working but not FF.
    >>
    >> I uninstaalled FF, restarted the computer, reinstalled FF, restarted the
    >> computer, and still nothing but the FF scree.
    >> No Internet connection except it seems update works (goes through the
    >> motions)
    >> I cleaned up the registry, I think.
    >> I did a system restore.
    >>
    >> Nothing on the tool bar works, (File, edit, bookmarks, tools, help)(no
    >> pull down menus)

    > FF is shite, im fed up of it refusing to work at random intervals.

    I have never experienced any problems with FireFox (stand alone), on
    occasion however I get an extension that is not quite right and then
    may have a minor problem. Other than that it seems to run flawlessly
    and I really enjoy the ease of use and the user friendliness of the
    Browser itself.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be
    Freedom For The World 10/10/05 2:21:07 PM
    http://www.nuboy-industries.com

    Old Gringo, Oct 10, 2005
  6. Old Gringo wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:12:16 -0700, in the alt.fan.mozilla News
    > Group, Without Any Hesitation Vernon Wrote The Following:
    >
    >> I had a problem with the Internet. FF quit working.
    >>
    >> I got IE working but not FF.
    >>
    >> I uninstaalled FF, restarted the computer, reinstalled FF, restarted the
    >> computer, and still nothing but the FF scree.
    >> No Internet connection except it seems update works (goes through the
    >> motions)
    >> I cleaned up the registry, I think.
    >> I did a system restore.
    >>
    >> Nothing on the tool bar works, (File, edit, bookmarks, tools, help)(no
    >> pull down menus)

    > Do you have a home page set for FireFox? In the address bar type in
    > google.com or yahoo.com and see if it will go there.

    Also check for a firewall issue. If you are running a software
    firewall, check its configuration to allow FF to access.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 11, 2005
  7. Vernon

    Vernon Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:12:16 -0700, in the alt.fan.mozilla News
    > Group, Without Any Hesitation Vernon Wrote The Following:
    >

    >>I had a problem with the Internet. FF quit working.
    >>
    >>I got IE working but not FF.
    >>
    >>I uninstaalled FF, restarted the computer, reinstalled FF, restarted the
    >>computer, and still nothing but the FF scree.
    >>No Internet connection except it seems update works (goes through the
    >>motions)
    >>I cleaned up the registry, I think.
    >>I did a system restore.
    >>
    >>Nothing on the tool bar works, (File, edit, bookmarks, tools, help)(no
    >>pull down menus)

    > Do you have a home page set for FireFox? In the address bar type in
    > google.com or yahoo.com and see if it will go there.

    Address bar won't take anything.

    Vernon, Oct 11, 2005
  8. Vernon

    Vernon Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:12:16 -0700, in the alt.fan.mozilla News
    >> Group, Without Any Hesitation Vernon Wrote The Following:
    >>
    >>> I had a problem with the Internet. FF quit working.
    >>>
    >>> I got IE working but not FF.
    >>>
    >>> I uninstaalled FF, restarted the computer, reinstalled FF, restarted
    >>> the computer, and still nothing but the FF scree.
    >>> No Internet connection except it seems update works (goes through the
    >>> motions)
    >>> I cleaned up the registry, I think.
    >>> I did a system restore.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing on the tool bar works, (File, edit, bookmarks, tools,
    >>> help)(no pull down menus)

    >> Do you have a home page set for FireFox? In the address bar type in
    >> google.com or yahoo.com and see if it will go there.

    > Also check for a firewall issue. If you are running a software
    > firewall, check its configuration to allow FF to access.
    >
    > Lee

    Killed all firewalls and took out a router.

    Vernon, Oct 11, 2005
  9. Vernon wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:12:16 -0700, in the alt.fan.mozilla News
    >> Group, Without Any Hesitation Vernon Wrote The Following:
    >>

    >>> I had a problem with the Internet. FF quit working.
    >>>
    >>> I got IE working but not FF.
    >>>
    >>> I uninstaalled FF, restarted the computer, reinstalled FF, restarted
    >>> the computer, and still nothing but the FF scree.
    >>> No Internet connection except it seems update works (goes through the
    >>> motions)
    >>> I cleaned up the registry, I think.
    >>> I did a system restore.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing on the tool bar works, (File, edit, bookmarks, tools,
    >>> help)(no pull down menus)

    >> Do you have a home page set for FireFox? In the address bar type in
    >> google.com or yahoo.com and see if it will go there.

    > Address bar won't take anything.

    Okay, advice is getting mixed here. Lets start with Safe Mode:

    Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode.

    This disables all extensions. Does it work in Safe Mode?

    If not, try a new profile. With Firefox closed, Start>>Run

    Type firefox.exe -p in the field. Note the space after exe, it is
    important.

    This should open Profile Manager, and allow you to create a new profile
    for test purposes. Open FF in the new profile, will it connect?

    Lets see how this goes, before trying more.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 11, 2005
  10. Vernon

    Vernon Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Vernon wrote:
    >
    >> Old Gringo wrote:

    >>> Do you have a home page set for FireFox? In the address bar type in
    >>> google.com or yahoo.com and see if it will go there.

    >> Address bar won't take anything.

    > Okay, advice is getting mixed here. Lets start with Safe Mode:
    >
    > Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode.
    >
    > This disables all extensions. Does it work in Safe Mode?
    >
    > If not, try a new profile. With Firefox closed, Start>>Run
    >
    > Type firefox.exe -p in the field. Note the space after exe, it is
    > important.
    >
    > This should open Profile Manager, and allow you to create a new profile
    > for test purposes. Open FF in the new profile, will it connect?
    >
    > Lets see how this goes, before trying more.
    >
    > Lee

    THAT worked.

    Of course I don't have all my favorites and stored passwords.

    BTW, safe mode was no better.

    Thanks

    Vernon, Oct 11, 2005
  11. Vernon wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Vernon wrote:

    >>> Address bar won't take anything.

    >> Okay, advice is getting mixed here. Lets start with Safe Mode:
    >>
    >> Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> This disables all extensions. Does it work in Safe Mode?
    >>
    >> If not, try a new profile. With Firefox closed, Start>>Run
    >>
    >> Type firefox.exe -p in the field. Note the space after exe, it is
    >> important.
    >>
    >> This should open Profile Manager, and allow you to create a new
    >> profile for test purposes. Open FF in the new profile, will it connect?
    >>
    >> Lets see how this goes, before trying more.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > THAT worked.
    >
    > Of course I don't have all my favorites and stored passwords.
    >
    > BTW, safe mode was no better.
    >
    > Thanks

    One last test. Go to your old profile folder with FF closed, and rename
    the chrome folder to oldchrome, and the extensions folder to
    oldextensions. Start FF in the old profile. Does FF respond now?

    If not, the profile is dead,Bookmarks are in a file called
    bookmarks.html. Just copy if from your old profile folder into your new
    profile, overwriting the default set.

    For passwords, save a couple of passwords in the new profile, to
    generate a signons.txt file in the profile folder. Copy signons.txt
    from the old profile, and key3.db from the old profile, and paste them
    into the new profile, overwriting what's there.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 11, 2005