Firefox questions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Just a couple of questions about downloading in firefox.
    Since upgrading to 1.5, downloading-related stuff has become very slow
    (firefox freezes for about 10 seconds after pressing OK in the download
    dialog, and before showing the "Downloads" window). Anyone experienced
    anything similar?

    Secondly, is there a way to enable "Open" for all file types? It works
    for rar, zip etc, but this feature is by far the most useful with
    executables (which are almost always installers and there is no need to
    keep them permanently). I understand the need for security, but as long
    as it always asks first, I see no reason why i shouldn't be able to run
    the .exe without "Saving to disk" first? Like the "Open" button in IE?
    Maybe there is a hidden setting or something to enable this?
     
    David, Jan 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. David

    David Guest

    David wrote:
    > Just a couple of questions about downloading in firefox.
    > Since upgrading to 1.5, downloading-related stuff has become very slow
    > (firefox freezes for about 10 seconds after pressing OK in the download
    > dialog, and before showing the "Downloads" window). Anyone experienced
    > anything similar?
    >
    > Secondly, is there a way to enable "Open" for all file types? It works
    > for rar, zip etc, but this feature is by far the most useful with
    > executables (which are almost always installers and there is no need to
    > keep them permanently). I understand the need for security, but as long
    > as it always asks first, I see no reason why i shouldn't be able to run
    > the .exe without "Saving to disk" first? Like the "Open" button in IE?
    > Maybe there is a hidden setting or something to enable this?


    Forgot to mention, i'm running XP Pro SP2 with all current updates (But
    you all know to assume that if its not stated)
     
    David, Jan 14, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:19:10 +1300, David wrote:

    > Secondly, is there a way to enable "Open" for all file types? It works
    > for rar, zip etc, but this feature is by far the most useful with
    > executables (which are almost always installers and there is no need to
    > keep them permanently). I understand the need for security, but as long
    > as it always asks first, I see no reason why i shouldn't be able to run
    > the .exe without "Saving to disk" first?


    If, as you say, understand the need for security, and therefore are
    connected to the Internet using a user account that does not have
    administrator privileges, how is it that you can install software without
    first saving the installer to disc and then logging in using the
    administrator's account?

    What you say strongly suggests that you really don't understand security.


    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    A year after Bill Gates' company wide email on security, Windows was hit
    with several nasty worms including Slammer, Sobig, and Blaster. The viruses
    caused major traffic bottlenecks throughout the world, which cost tens of
    billions of dollars to clean up.
     
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 14, 2006
    #3
  4. David

    aum Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:19:10 +1300, David wrote:

    > Just a couple of questions about downloading in firefox.
    > Since upgrading to 1.5, downloading-related stuff has become very slow
    > (firefox freezes for about 10 seconds after pressing OK in the download
    > dialog, and before showing the "Downloads" window). Anyone experienced
    > anything similar?


    I was just talking about this to someone in the firefox chat room. Seems
    the solution is to keep your browser cache and download history clean.
    (clear download histary - Tools->Downloads->Clean Up)

    --

    Cheers
    aum
     
    aum, Jan 14, 2006
    #4
  5. David

    David Guest

    aum wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:19:10 +1300, David wrote:
    >
    >> Just a couple of questions about downloading in firefox.
    >> Since upgrading to 1.5, downloading-related stuff has become very slow
    >> (firefox freezes for about 10 seconds after pressing OK in the download
    >> dialog, and before showing the "Downloads" window). Anyone experienced
    >> anything similar?

    >
    > I was just talking about this to someone in the firefox chat room. Seems
    > the solution is to keep your browser cache and download history clean.
    > (clear download histary - Tools->Downloads->Clean Up)
    >


    Thanks, that fixed it.
     
    David, Jan 15, 2006
    #5
  6. David

    David Guest

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:19:10 +1300, David wrote:
    >
    >> Secondly, is there a way to enable "Open" for all file types? It works
    >> for rar, zip etc, but this feature is by far the most useful with
    >> executables (which are almost always installers and there is no need to
    >> keep them permanently). I understand the need for security, but as long
    >> as it always asks first, I see no reason why i shouldn't be able to run
    >> the .exe without "Saving to disk" first?

    >
    > If, as you say, understand the need for security, and therefore are
    > connected to the Internet using a user account that does not have
    > administrator privileges, how is it that you can install software without
    > first saving the installer to disc and then logging in using the
    > administrator's account?


    Because I don't have time to do this, my aim was to make upgrading
    software etc. faster, not pointlessly time consuming.
    >
    > What you say strongly suggests that you really don't understand security.
    >


    I understand the need for security, but not unnecessary paranoia. This
    is my home PC. My important files are all backed up. If I was to
    accidentally install some nasty malware from the web, reinstalling the
    entire system would not be too much of a hassle. Anyway, this has never
    happened to me, and as long as I only install software that I deem
    trustworthy (open source, hosted on sourceforge, or from microsoft
    etc.), and I don't use buggy browsers liable to run random executables
    off the internet without asking (ie. IE), I don't see any problem with
    this set-up.

    Even if I was to use a restricted account, that would not prevent
    malware doing what I fear most - harming my personal files and
    submitting personal details about me to evil places. To avoid that, I
    would need 2 restricted accounts, and avoid ever being connected to the
    net while using the one in which I did stuff, in which case I think I
    would give up using a PC altogether.

    PS. The new thunderbird's spell-as-you-type thing is very useful when
    typing quickly.
     
    David, Jan 15, 2006
    #6
  7. David

    -=rjh=- Guest

    David wrote:
    > aum wrote:
    >> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:19:10 +1300, David wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just a couple of questions about downloading in firefox.
    >>> Since upgrading to 1.5, downloading-related stuff has become very
    >>> slow (firefox freezes for about 10 seconds after pressing OK in the
    >>> download dialog, and before showing the "Downloads" window). Anyone
    >>> experienced anything similar?

    >>
    >> I was just talking about this to someone in the firefox chat room. Seems
    >> the solution is to keep your browser cache and download history clean.
    >> (clear download histary - Tools->Downloads->Clean Up)
    >>

    >
    > Thanks, that fixed it.


    It would be better if FF fixed it automatically - or if an extension
    fixed it. Why not have a setting in FF that keeps the last 5/10/20 items
    in download history? That would be useful.

    Does anyone know of such an extension?
     
    -=rjh=-, Jan 15, 2006
    #7
  8. David

    David Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >> aum wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:19:10 +1300, David wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Just a couple of questions about downloading in firefox.
    >>>> Since upgrading to 1.5, downloading-related stuff has become very
    >>>> slow (firefox freezes for about 10 seconds after pressing OK in the
    >>>> download dialog, and before showing the "Downloads" window). Anyone
    >>>> experienced anything similar?
    >>>
    >>> I was just talking about this to someone in the firefox chat room. Seems
    >>> the solution is to keep your browser cache and download history clean.
    >>> (clear download histary - Tools->Downloads->Clean Up)
    >>>

    >>
    >> Thanks, that fixed it.

    >
    > It would be better if FF fixed it automatically - or if an extension
    > fixed it. Why not have a setting in FF that keeps the last 5/10/20 items
    > in download history? That would be useful.
    >
    > Does anyone know of such an extension?


    Maybe an extension that replaced the entire download manager could be
    good, especially if it integrated properly and sent referrers etc. This
    could also solve the annoyance of not being able to run exe's from a
    temp folder and have firefox automatically delete them like IE does.
     
    David, Jan 15, 2006
    #8
  9. David

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:19:10 +1300, David wrote:

    > Just a couple of questions about downloading in firefox.
    > Since upgrading to 1.5, downloading-related stuff has become very slow
    > (firefox freezes for about 10 seconds after pressing OK in the download
    > dialog, and before showing the "Downloads" window). Anyone experienced
    > anything similar?
    >
    > Secondly, is there a way to enable "Open" for all file types? It works
    > for rar, zip etc, but this feature is by far the most useful with
    > executables (which are almost always installers and there is no need to
    > keep them permanently). I understand the need for security, but as long
    > as it always asks first, I see no reason why i shouldn't be able to run
    > the .exe without "Saving to disk" first? Like the "Open" button in IE?


    So do all the nasties.

    Convience vs security.

    You have a choice.

    Ironic that you may cross over totally to the other side.
     
    Gordon, Jan 15, 2006
    #9
  10. David

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:26:26 +1300, David wrote:

    >> If, as you say, understand the need for security, and therefore are
    >> connected to the Internet using a user account that does not have
    >> administrator privileges, how is it that you can install software without
    >> first saving the installer to disc and then logging in using the
    >> administrator's account?

    >
    > Because I don't have time to do this, my aim was to make upgrading
    > software etc. faster, not pointlessly time consuming.


    Ms Penguin here. Look I have Firefox installed in my home directory and it
    just flashes a message on the screen that it is ready to up date. Bit too
    MS for me, why does it not do it the next time I is started?

    BTW, this is on Linux, but it does have me asking a question to myself.
     
    Gordon, Jan 15, 2006
    #10
  11. David

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:21:45 +1300, David wrote:

    > Forgot to mention, i'm running XP Pro SP2 with all current updates (But
    > you all know to assume that if its not stated)


    NOT WE DO NOT!!!

    Please, gentle people, state which platform you are runing Firefox on.
     
    Gordon, Jan 15, 2006
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jimmy Fernandez
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    447
    Keith Bowes
    Feb 11, 2004
  2. Progressiveabsolution

    Questions on Canon 300D and etc. questions regarding digital photography

    Progressiveabsolution, Mar 23, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    640
    Frank ess
    Mar 24, 2005
  3. Patrick Michael

    Re: Questions....questions....questions

    Patrick Michael, Jun 16, 2004, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    821
    Patrick Michael
    Jun 16, 2004
  4. gravz84
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,367
    gravz84
    Nov 13, 2007
  5. gravz84
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    4,913
    jerryvn01
    Jul 23, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page