    I have run every kind of virus-worm-etc scan that I can find with no help
    (Thought it might be a virus).
    If anyone has any suggestions the help will be appreciated

    Seago, Nov 9, 2007

  2. Seago wrote:

    > I have 2 160gb hdd's installed. on one the os is XPPro SP2 on the
    > other the os is Vista Ultimate. I have firefox ver 2.0.0.9 installed
    > on each one.

    Do you have the two Firefoxes installed with separate profiles, or are
    you sharing one?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 9, 2007

  3. Seago

    Mike Easter Guest

    Seago wrote:

    > When I boot to the XPPro hdd most of the web sites I try to
    > visit I get a "Can't connect to server" popup.

    That probably isn't ff, that is probably your name resolution. I would
    troubleshoot that with something besides a browser. Why don't you use a
    little tool like Gibson's IDServe?

    http://www.grc.com/id/idserve.htm a simple, free, small (26 kbytes),
    and fast, general purpose Internet server identification utility.

    > I have also used IE to go to the web sites and all is ok
    > with it.

    That information doesn't compute with my name resolution theory, unless
    you are talking about IE on the Vista install.

    I'm thinking that your XP setup isn't getting good nameresolution -- so
    my troubleshooting would be to use IDServe on the XP install and see if
    it connects to the webservers in question.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 9, 2007
  4. Seago

    Seago Guest

    > Seago wrote:
    >
    >> I have 2 160gb hdd's installed. on one the os is XPPro SP2 on the
    >> other the os is Vista Ultimate. I have firefox ver 2.0.0.9 installed
    >> on each one.

    > Do you have the two Firefoxes installed with separate profiles, or are
    > you sharing one?
    >
    > --
    > -bts

    Same profile on both

    Seago, Nov 9, 2007
  5. Seago

    Seago Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Seago wrote:
    >
    >> When I boot to the XPPro hdd most of the web sites I try to
    >> visit I get a "Can't connect to server" popup.

    > That probably isn't ff, that is probably your name resolution. I would
    > troubleshoot that with something besides a browser. Why don't you use a
    > little tool like Gibson's IDServe?
    >
    > http://www.grc.com/id/idserve.htm a simple, free, small (26 kbytes),
    > and fast, general purpose Internet server identification utility.
    >
    >> I have also used IE to go to the web sites and all is ok
    >> with it.

    > That information doesn't compute with my name resolution theory, unless
    > you are talking about IE on the Vista install.
    >
    > I'm thinking that your XP setup isn't getting good nameresolution -- so
    > my troubleshooting would be to use IDServe on the XP install and see if
    > it connects to the webservers in question.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    I will dl & install GRC as soon as possible THANKS

    Seago, Nov 9, 2007
  6. Seago

    Seago Guest

    "Seago" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Seago wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I boot to the XPPro hdd most of the web sites I try to
    >>> visit I get a "Can't connect to server" popup.

    >> That probably isn't ff, that is probably your name resolution. I would
    >> troubleshoot that with something besides a browser. Why don't you use a
    >> little tool like Gibson's IDServe?
    >>
    >> http://www.grc.com/id/idserve.htm a simple, free, small (26 kbytes),
    >> and fast, general purpose Internet server identification utility.
    >>
    >>> I have also used IE to go to the web sites and all is ok
    >>> with it.

    >> That information doesn't compute with my name resolution theory, unless
    >> you are talking about IE on the Vista install.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking that your XP setup isn't getting good nameresolution -- so
    >> my troubleshooting would be to use IDServe on the XP install and see if
    >> it connects to the webservers in question.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    > I will dl & install GRC as soon as possible THANKS

    I ran ID Serve on each of the hdd's & vista connecte ok but on xp it said it
    couldNOT connect because port 80 was closed so can I open port 80 & if so
    how?

    Seago, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Seago

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:24:59 -0600, "Seago" <> wrote:

    >I have 2 160gb hdd's installed.
    >on one the os is XPPro SP2 on the other the os is Vista Ultimate.
    >I have firefox ver 2.0.0.9 installed on each one.
    >As far as I can tell the security settings & allowed url's are the same.
    >When I boot to the XPPro hdd most of the web sites I try to visit I get a
    >"Can't connect to server" popup.
    >When I boot to the Vista & go to the same web sites I have no problems at
    >all.
    >I have unstalled & installed Firefox on the XP hdd 3 times with no success.
    >I have also used IE to go to the web sites and all is ok with it.
    >I have run every kind of virus-worm-etc scan that I can find with no help
    >(Thought it might be a virus).
    >If anyone has any suggestions the help will be appreciated

    Check your firewall, program control settings and make sure that
    FireFox is allowed full internet access.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Nov 9, 2007
  8. Seago wrote:

    > I ran ID Serve on each of the hdd's & vista connecte ok but on xp it said
    > it
    > couldNOT connect because port 80 was closed so can I open port 80 & if
    > so how?

    Maybe Vista saved you from installing Norton or other "personal firewall" or
    wonnabe-webfilter-proxyware? Even if you later junked it, it may still have
    left undesireable effects ...

    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 10, 2007
  9. Seago

    ded Guest

    "Seago" <> wrote in message
    >I have 2 160gb hdd's installed.
    > on one the os is XPPro SP2 on the other the os is Vista Ultimate.
    > I have firefox ver 2.0.0.9 installed on each one.
    > As far as I can tell the security settings & allowed url's are the same.
    > When I boot to the XPPro hdd most of the web sites I try to visit I get a
    > "Can't connect to server" popup.
    > When I boot to the Vista & go to the same web sites I have no problems at
    > all.
    > I have unstalled & installed Firefox on the XP hdd 3 times with no
    > success.
    > I have also used IE to go to the web sites and all is ok with it.
    > I have run every kind of virus-worm-etc scan that I can find with no help
    > (Thought it might be a virus).
    > If anyone has any suggestions the help will be appreciated

    It could be the firefox+Ad-Block issue. What's happening since the ad-block
    plug-in for FF, many sites are now ensuring that their sites won't load
    in FF because the plug-in blocks advertising, and sites fear losing revenue.
    It's turning into mania, you can read more about adblocking and Firefox:
    http://showip.net/adblock.php

    This following site makes the paranoid claim that Firefox's adblocking is
    theft, and many sites that use the above tools to detect FF or any
    adblocking
    capable browser are directing surfers to this site:
    http://whyfirefoxisblocked.com/index1.php

    The bottomline is that the blocking of the excellent FF browser is
    spreading. You could try a google search to determine if the site(s)
    you are having problems with are blocking Firefox, type into seach:
    "ad blocker plus,firefox,<full site URL here>"

    ded, Nov 10, 2007