    ram so hardware is not the problem. Is there anyway to load Firefox faster
    similar to M$IE?
    gwhited

    Greg Whited, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Greg Whited

    Tommy Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:54:16 GMT, "Greg Whited"
    <> wrote:

    >I use Firefox and think it's great, but it seems to take a long time to
    >load. I am running an Athlon 64 3000+ on an MIS K8N NEO4 Mobo with 1gig of
    >ram so hardware is not the problem. Is there anyway to load Firefox faster
    >similar to M$IE?
    >gwhited

    Try the extension called Fasterfox. It's #3 on this page.

    http://tinyurl.com/3vseb

    Tommy, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Greg Whited wrote:

    >I use Firefox and think it's great, but it seems to take a long time to
    >load. I am running an Athlon 64 3000+ on an MIS K8N NEO4 Mobo with 1gig of
    >ram so hardware is not the problem. Is there anyway to load Firefox faster
    >similar to M$IE?
    >gwhited

    Firefox will never load quite as fast as IE, simply because its not
    built into the system. When you load windows, it also loads the major
    portion of IE as well (even if you dont use it). Ever wonder why
    windows takes so long to start up? Now you know why, its loading IE for you.

    Microsoft claims this is unavoidable, tho they have committed to
    producing a system without IE built in (as part of the court settlement
    and as part of the European settlement).

    One of the 'reasons' that Firefox takes some time to load is that it
    must re-map some system attributes to point to itself, instead of IE.
    Without the built in system attributes, IE would take as long, if not
    longer to load than Firefox.
    For example, on the macintosh, which DOESNT have IE built in. Firefox is
    slightly faster in loading than IE, altho either takes less than 15
    seconds anyway. Its not Firefox that is the slow poke, its your system
    and its built in reliance/prejudice to Microsofts own IE.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 5, 2006
  4. Tommy wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:54:16 GMT, "Greg Whited"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I use Firefox and think it's great, but it seems to take a long time to
    >> load. I am running an Athlon 64 3000+ on an MIS K8N NEO4 Mobo with 1gig of
    >> ram so hardware is not the problem. Is there anyway to load Firefox faster
    >> similar to M$IE?
    >> gwhited

    > Try the extension called Fasterfox. It's #3 on this page.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3vseb

    Fasterfox will not help FF load any faster. There is a preloader that
    should help:

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 5, 2006
  5. Greg Whited

    Greg Whited Guest

    Yea that pretty much what I figured. I though when Firefox first came out
    read something about a "preloader" as Lee mentioned. I may try that.
    Hopefully it will not contribute too much to more system slowdown.
    Thanks Everyone
    Greg

    Greg Whited, Jan 5, 2006
  6. On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:07:35 GMT, "Greg Whited"
    <> wrote:

    >Yea that pretty much what I figured. I though when Firefox first came out
    >read something about a "preloader" as Lee mentioned. I may try that.
    >Hopefully it will not contribute too much to more system slowdown.
    >Thanks Everyone
    >Greg
    >
    >"Moz Champion (Dan)" <> wrote in message
    >> Greg Whited wrote:
    >>
    >>>I use Firefox and think it's great, but it seems to take a long time to
    >>>load. I am running an Athlon 64 3000+ on an MIS K8N NEO4 Mobo with 1gig

    >of
    >>>ram so hardware is not the problem. Is there anyway to load Firefox

    >faster
    >>>similar to M$IE?
    >>>gwhited
    >>>

    >> Firefox will never load quite as fast as IE, simply because its not

    >built
    >> into the system. When you load windows, it also loads the major portion

    >of
    >> IE as well (even if you dont use it). Ever wonder why windows takes so
    >> long to start up? Now you know why, its loading IE for you.
    >>
    >> Microsoft claims this is unavoidable, tho they have committed to

    >producing
    >> a system without IE built in (as part of the court settlement and as

    >part
    >> of the European settlement).
    >> One of the 'reasons' that Firefox takes some time to load is that it

    >must
    >> re-map some system attributes to point to itself, instead of IE.

    >Without
    >> the built in system attributes, IE would take as long, if not longer to
    >> load than Firefox.
    >> For example, on the macintosh, which DOESNT have IE built in. Firefox is
    >> slightly faster in loading than IE, altho either takes less than 15
    >> seconds anyway. Its not Firefox that is the slow poke, its your system
    >> and its built in reliance/prejudice to Microsofts own IE.

    Slower or not, I'm tickled pink with Firefox. No virus or spyware
    problems since I started using Firefox. I even migrated to
    Thunderbird after discovering OE forces you to top post in a reply. I
    may remember Mozilla in my will for what they've done for me.

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
    Lubbock, Texas
    rkinserlow at cox dot net
    homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr., Jan 6, 2006
  7. Greg Whited

    mike555 Guest

    On your computer you should not need the preloader, but if you
    install it ,remember that you will need to close it by clicking on the
    icon by the clock every time you install a extension or theme (so that
    Firefox will do a complete restart) .........
    if you have XP , you would be better off useing the prefetch feature
    in it , by adding
    " /Prefetch:1 " to your shortcut properties ,target line ..... so it
    says .......
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1
    .... my athlon 3200 starts Firefox in 2 seconds now useing it ...

    mike555, Jan 6, 2006
  8. Greg Whited

    Ed Mullen Guest

    mike555 wrote:
    > On your computer you should not need the preloader, but if you
    > install it ,remember that you will need to close it by clicking on the
    > icon by the clock every time you install a extension or theme (so that
    > Firefox will do a complete restart) .........
    > if you have XP , you would be better off useing the prefetch feature
    > in it , by adding
    > " /Prefetch:1 " to your shortcut properties ,target line ..... so it
    > says .......
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1
    > ... my athlon 3200 starts Firefox in 2 seconds now useing it ...

    I've seen this mentioned before and I've tried it. It does nothing on
    any of my systems. Here's an interesting blog on the topic:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/ryanmy/archive/2005/05/25/421882.aspx

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 7, 2006
  9. Greg Whited

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > mike555 wrote:
    >> On your computer you should not need the preloader, but if you
    >> install it ,remember that you will need to close it by clicking on the
    >> icon by the clock every time you install a extension or theme (so that
    >> Firefox will do a complete restart) .........
    >> if you have XP , you would be better off useing the prefetch feature
    >> in it , by adding
    >> " /Prefetch:1 " to your shortcut properties ,target line ..... so it
    >> says .......
    >> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1
    >> ... my athlon 3200 starts Firefox in 2 seconds now useing it ...
    >>

    > I've seen this mentioned before and I've tried it. It does nothing on
    > any of my systems. Here's an interesting blog on the topic:
    >
    > http://blogs.msdn.com/ryanmy/archive/2005/05/25/421882.aspx

    A couple of other links on the topic:

    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000621.html

    And then a few on link prefetching that I found interesting:

    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000602.html
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000606.html
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/net...AQ.html#Is_there_a_preference_to_disable_link

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 7, 2006
  10. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> mike555 wrote:
    >>> On your computer you should not need the preloader, but if you
    >>> install it ,remember that you will need to close it by clicking on the
    >>> icon by the clock every time you install a extension or theme (so that
    >>> Firefox will do a complete restart) .........
    >>> if you have XP , you would be better off useing the prefetch feature
    >>> in it , by adding
    >>> " /Prefetch:1 " to your shortcut properties ,target line ..... so it
    >>> says .......
    >>> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1
    >>> ... my athlon 3200 starts Firefox in 2 seconds now useing it ...
    >>>

    >> I've seen this mentioned before and I've tried it. It does nothing on
    >> any of my systems. Here's an interesting blog on the topic:
    >>
    >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ryanmy/archive/2005/05/25/421882.aspx
    >>

    > A couple of other links on the topic:
    >
    > http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000621.html
    >
    > And then a few on link prefetching that I found interesting:
    >
    > http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000602.html
    > http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000606.html
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/net...AQ.html#Is_there_a_preference_to_disable_link

    Hi Ed,

    I'm no expert on this topic, but isn't link prefetching a completely
    different subject the Windows XP prefetching?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 8, 2006
  11. Greg Whited

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> I've seen this mentioned before and I've tried it. It does nothing
    >>> on any of my systems. Here's an interesting blog on the topic:
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ryanmy/archive/2005/05/25/421882.aspx
    >>>

    >> A couple of other links on the topic:
    >>
    >> http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000621.html
    >>
    >> And then a few on link prefetching that I found interesting:
    >>
    >> http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000602.html
    >> http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000606.html
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/net...AQ.html#Is_there_a_preference_to_disable_link
    >>

    > Hi Ed,
    >
    > I'm no expert on this topic, but isn't link prefetching a completely
    > different subject the Windows XP prefetching?
    >
    > Lee

    It certainly is, which is why I said "link prefetching." ;-) It was
    referenced in one of the pages on program prefetching. I thought it was
    interesting generally and because of the confusion the various different
    things the same/similar terms apply to. Also, the issue the author
    raises about cross domain prefetching of links and content is something
    a lot of people are probably not aware of and may want to disable. That
    seems especially to apply to those on dial-up or pay-per-byte services.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 8, 2006
  12. Greg Whited

    lohocla

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2006
    Messages:
    1

    as Soon as I did it I rebooted and my Firefox loaded right up in 4 or 5 seconds as opposed to the usual 20-30 seconds

    lohocla, Sep 13, 2006