    I know! I'll upgrade to 2.0 and see if it's been noticed and fixed.

    I now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup.

    J.
    Janice P., Jan 2, 2007

  2. Janice P.

    Miller Guest

    *Janice P.* wrote on 02.01.07 21:00:
    > Good grief. As if three slots taken on the Start bar wasn't bad enough,
    > Firefox 1.5.0.4 uses the same icon for the browser, the bookmarks, and the
    > downloads. Always frustrating, sometimes irritating, occasionally
    > infuriating.
    >
    > I know! I'll upgrade to 2.0 and see if it's been noticed and fixed.

    No. There isn't anything to fix. Firefox just behaves like any other
    program which contains an icon.

    cu, M.
    Miller, Jan 2, 2007

  3. Janice P.

    Bucky Guest

    Janice P. wrote:
    > Good grief. As if three slots taken on the Start bar wasn't bad enough,
    > Firefox 1.5.0.4 uses the same icon for the browser, the bookmarks, and the
    > downloads. Always frustrating, sometimes irritating, occasionally
    > infuriating.

    have you used IE before? If you're viewing 5 different pages, you'll
    get 5 identical icons on the task bar. (At least for IE 6, I haven't
    tried 7 before).
    Bucky, Jan 2, 2007
  4. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Firefox programmers, may I buy you an icon?

    On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 21:20:52 +0100, Miller <> posted:

    >*Janice P.* wrote on 02.01.07 21:00:
    >> Good grief. As if three slots taken on the Start bar wasn't bad enough,
    >> Firefox 1.5.0.4 uses the same icon for the browser, the bookmarks, and the
    >> downloads. Always frustrating, sometimes irritating, occasionally
    >> infuriating.
    >>
    >> I know! I'll upgrade to 2.0 and see if it's been noticed and fixed.

    >No. There isn't anything to fix. Firefox just behaves like any other
    >program which contains an icon.
    >
    >cu, M.

    Netscape has a different icon for the bookmarks. It's a totally separate
    function, not like separate instances of the identical browser having the
    same icon. But the bookmarks? AND the downloads? When there are so many
    things open that each Start bar item is nearly square, and the text doesn't
    show, the only way to find the browser is trial and error. Click all three.
    At the very least, mouse over all three and wait for Microsoft's tooltip,
    which is even slower and even more aggravating. Or if I want to find my way
    back to the browser quickly using Alt-Tab, there they are, three identical
    icons, and I have to pause and read the name of each one. Now you can
    defend this behavior until the moon turns blue, but the fact is that it
    sucks and they each need their own icon.

    J.
    Janice P., Jan 3, 2007
  5. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Firefox programmers, may I buy you an icon?

    On 2 Jan 2007 15:11:32 -0800, "Bucky" <> posted:

    >Janice P. wrote:
    >> Good grief. As if three slots taken on the Start bar wasn't bad enough,
    >> Firefox 1.5.0.4 uses the same icon for the browser, the bookmarks, and the
    >> downloads. Always frustrating, sometimes irritating, occasionally
    >> infuriating.

    >have you used IE before

    Yes, as little as possible.

    >If you're viewing 5 different pages, you'll
    >get 5 identical icons on the task bar.

    Of course! That's five instances of the same identical browser. But when
    Firefox uses the same icon for the bookmarks and the downloads, those are
    totally different from a web browser. They're related, and the icons could
    look similar, but to use the identical icon is absurd. When I want to go to
    a web page, I don't want to have to trip over the bookmarks and the
    downloads along the way.

    J.
    Janice P., Jan 3, 2007
  6. Janice P.

    Guest

    Janice P. wrote:
    > Good grief. As if three slots taken on the Start bar wasn't bad enough,
    > Firefox 1.5.0.4 uses the same icon for the browser, the bookmarks, and the
    > downloads. Always frustrating, sometimes irritating, occasionally
    > infuriating.
    >
    > I know! I'll upgrade to 2.0 and see if it's been noticed and fixed.
    >
    > I now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup.
    >
    > J.

    It takes a purple hippo to figure this out.

    Ok, here's what you do. Using your file manager, locate the FF program
    directory. Under it you will find a directory called Chrome. Add to
    that directory another directory called Icons, and add to that
    directory another directory call Default, so now you have
    chrome/icons/default.

    Now, add *.ico icons for the following and place them in the default
    directory:

    for the bookmark manager its bookmark-window.ico
    for the download manager its downloadManager.ico
    for the history manager its history-window.ico -- just noticed that FF
    doesn't have a history window, just a history sidebar, so thats useless
    for the javascript window its jsconsoleWindow.ico
    for the main FF icon its main-window.ico

    so, that leaves add-ons, error console, and page info which I don't
    have. Furthermore, you can get some FF icons from here:
    http://iconpacks.mozdev.org/, and if you do a google search I'm sure
    you can find some more.
    , Jan 3, 2007
  7. Janice P.

    SG Guest

    "Janice P." <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 21:20:52 +0100, Miller <>

    posted:

    > >*Janice P.* wrote on 02.01.07 21:00:
    > >> Good grief. As if three slots taken on the Start bar wasn't bad

    enough,
    > >> Firefox 1.5.0.4 uses the same icon for the browser, the bookmarks,

    and the
    > >> downloads. Always frustrating, sometimes irritating, occasionally
    > >> infuriating.
    > >>
    > >> I know! I'll upgrade to 2.0 and see if it's been noticed and

    fixed.

    > >No. There isn't anything to fix. Firefox just behaves like any other
    > >program which contains an icon.
    > >
    > >cu, M.

    > Netscape has a different icon for the bookmarks. It's a totally

    separate
    > function, not like separate instances of the identical browser having

    the
    > same icon. But the bookmarks? AND the downloads? When there are so

    many
    > things open that each Start bar item is nearly square, and the text

    doesn't
    > show, the only way to find the browser is trial and error.

    or, expand your taskbar, or *Start bar* as you call it

    SG, Jan 3, 2007
  8. Janice P.

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 2 Jan 2007 21:35:14 -0800, in message <>,
    wrote:

    > Janice P. wrote:
    > > Good grief. As if three slots taken on the Start bar wasn't bad enough,
    > > Firefox 1.5.0.4 uses the same icon for the browser, the bookmarks, and the
    > > downloads. Always frustrating, sometimes irritating, occasionally
    > > infuriating.
    > >
    > > I know! I'll upgrade to 2.0 and see if it's been noticed and fixed.
    > >
    > > I now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup.
    > >
    > > J.

    > It takes a purple hippo to figure this out.
    >
    > Ok, here's what you do. Using your file manager, locate the FF program
    > directory. Under it you will find a directory called Chrome. Add to
    > that directory another directory called Icons, and add to that
    > directory another directory call Default, so now you have
    > chrome/icons/default.
    >
    > Now, add *.ico icons for the following and place them in the default
    > directory:
    >
    > for the bookmark manager its bookmark-window.ico
    > for the download manager its downloadManager.ico
    > for the history manager its history-window.ico -- just noticed that FF
    > doesn't have a history window, just a history sidebar, so thats useless
    > for the javascript window its jsconsoleWindow.ico
    > for the main FF icon its main-window.ico
    >
    > so, that leaves add-ons, error console, and page info which I don't
    > have.

    * for add-ons, it is extensionsManager.ico
    * for the Firefox-2 error console, it is jsconsoleWindow.ico -- the FFx 2
    error console is what was previously called the javascript console.
    * for help it is help.ico

    I also don't have page info

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jan 3, 2007
  9. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Re: Firefox programmers, may I buy you an icon?

    On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 01:07:16 -0600, "SG" <> posted:

    >or, expand your taskbar, or *Start bar* as you call it

    I believe you mean well, but to my sensibilities, this is an unacceptable
    solution.

    > Click all three.

    Like I said, I refuse to behave like a hen pecking for a seed.

    J.
    Janice P., Jan 3, 2007
  10. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Firefox programmers, may I buy you an icon?

    On 2 Jan 2007 21:35:14 -0800,
    posted:

    >It takes a purple hippo to figure this out.

    OH! You are my hero of the week, Peter!

    >Furthermore, you can get some FF icons from here:
    >http://iconpacks.mozdev.org/, and if you do a google search I'm sure
    >you can find some more.

    No need, I have more icons than I will ever have programs :) Thank you very
    much for such a clean and easy solution to what has been a serious
    irritation for me since the first time I ever used Firefox!

    J.
    Janice P., Jan 3, 2007
  11. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Firefox programmers, may I buy you an icon?

    On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 09:15:12 +0000, Ralph Fox <> posted:

    >* for add-ons, it is extensionsManager.ico
    >* for the Firefox-2 error console, it is jsconsoleWindow.ico -- the FFx 2
    > error console is what was previously called the javascript console.
    >* for help it is help.ico

    Thank you, Ralph! I wish all of the little irritations could be solved in
    such a manner :)

    J.
    Janice P., Jan 3, 2007
  12. Janice P.

    Guest

    Janice P. wrote:
    > On 2 Jan 2007 21:35:14 -0800,
    > posted:
    >
    > >It takes a purple hippo to figure this out.

    > OH! You are my hero of the week, Peter!
    >
    > >Furthermore, you can get some FF icons from here:
    > >http://iconpacks.mozdev.org/, and if you do a google search I'm sure
    > >you can find some more.

    > No need, I have more icons than I will ever have programs :) Thank you very
    > much for such a clean and easy solution to what has been a serious
    > irritation for me since the first time I ever used Firefox!
    >
    > J.

    You're welcome
    , Jan 3, 2007
  13. Janice P.

    Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On 2 Jan 2007 21:35:14 -0800, in message <>,
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Janice P. wrote:
    > > > Good grief. As if three slots taken on the Start bar wasn't bad enough,
    > > > Firefox 1.5.0.4 uses the same icon for the browser, the bookmarks, and the
    > > > downloads. Always frustrating, sometimes irritating, occasionally
    > > > infuriating.
    > > >
    > > > I know! I'll upgrade to 2.0 and see if it's been noticed and fixed.
    > > >
    > > > I now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup.
    > > >
    > > > J.

    > > It takes a purple hippo to figure this out.
    > >
    > > Ok, here's what you do. Using your file manager, locate the FF program
    > > directory. Under it you will find a directory called Chrome. Add to
    > > that directory another directory called Icons, and add to that
    > > directory another directory call Default, so now you have
    > > chrome/icons/default.
    > >
    > > Now, add *.ico icons for the following and place them in the default
    > > directory:
    > >
    > > for the bookmark manager its bookmark-window.ico
    > > for the download manager its downloadManager.ico
    > > for the history manager its history-window.ico -- just noticed that FF
    > > doesn't have a history window, just a history sidebar, so thats useless
    > > for the javascript window its jsconsoleWindow.ico
    > > for the main FF icon its main-window.ico
    > >
    > > so, that leaves add-ons, error console, and page info which I don't
    > > have.

    > * for add-ons, it is extensionsManager.ico
    > * for the Firefox-2 error console, it is jsconsoleWindow.ico -- the FFx 2
    > error console is what was previously called the javascript console.
    > * for help it is help.ico
    >
    > I also don't have page info
    >
    > > Furthermore, you can get some FF icons from here:
    > > http://iconpacks.mozdev.org/, and if you do a google search I'm sure
    > > you can find some more.

    thanks for that info Ralph
    , Jan 3, 2007
  14. On 2007-01-02, Bucky <> wrote:

    > Janice P. wrote:
    >> Good grief. As if three slots taken on the Start bar wasn't bad enough,
    >> Firefox 1.5.0.4 uses the same icon for the browser, the bookmarks, and the
    >> downloads. Always frustrating, sometimes irritating, occasionally
    >> infuriating.

    > have you used IE before? If you're viewing 5 different pages, you'll
    > get 5 identical icons on the task bar. (At least for IE 6, I haven't
    > tried 7 before).

    What does IE have to do with it? The OP asked about Firefox, not IE --
    and pointed out that Netscape behaved in the manner she prefers. But
    Netscape is moribund, and she wants Firefox to work that way.

    Is it possible? Or does Seamonkey perhaps work in the same manner as
    Netscape, and thus be a possible solution? I don't use either Windows or
    Seamonkey, so I can't comment.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Jan 3, 2007
  15. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Firefox programmers, may I buy you an icon?

    On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:35:34 -0600, John Thompson <2.dhs.org>
    posted:

    >Is it possible?

    Yes indeed! See the replies by Peter Potamus and Ralph Fox in this same

    J.
    Janice P., Jan 3, 2007
  16. Janice P.

    Bucky Guest

    John Thompson wrote:
    > What does IE have to do with it? The OP asked about Firefox, not IE --

    I was just pointing out that all Windows programs and browsers use the
    same task bar icons for all their sub-windows, so why should Firefox be
    any different? (Of course, now I know that this isn't true, and it is
    possible to make them different.)

    > and pointed out that Netscape behaved in the manner she prefers.

    that came after my post.
    Bucky, Jan 3, 2007
  17. Janice P.

    Rizzo Guest

    > No need, I have more icons than I will ever have programs :) Thank you very
    > much for such a clean and easy solution to what has been a serious
    > irritation for me since the first time I ever used Firefox!

    Weirdo.
    Rizzo, Jan 12, 2007