    If that is possible, how is it then possible to keep that profile for a
    later start of FF, even if I switch inbetween to Opera as default browser
    and then come back to FF ?
    Jay Catter, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Jay Catter wrote:
    > Windows 98. I use different profiles for Firefox, starting it with
    > different links.
    > However, a problem remains when I double click an .htm file in Explorer
    > when FF is set to be my default browser. It starts Firefox OK, but always
    > with the same (wrong !) profile. How is it possible to tweak windows to get
    > the right profile started.
    > If that is possible, how is it then possible to keep that profile for a
    > later start of FF, even if I switch inbetween to Opera as default browser
    > and then come back to FF ?

    Its one of my pet peeves about Firefox. It will open in the most
    recently opened profile, unless you tell it to do otherwise. Mozilla
    will open in Profile Manager if not told otherwise, and allow you to choose.

    You could just make sure that the last profile you open is the one your
    want to be the default.

    You will have to go into Windows Explorer, Tools>>Folder Options>>File
    Types, and add the -p switch to the open line for htm and html files.
    That should cause Profile Manager to open up, and let you choose the
    profile. Or -p "profilename" would specify the exact profile, if you
    want to set a default.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Jay Catter

    Jay Catter Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in

    > Jay Catter wrote:
    >> Windows 98. I use different profiles for Firefox, starting it with
    >> different links.
    >> However, a problem remains when I double click an .htm file in
    >> Explorer when FF is set to be my default browser. It starts Firefox
    >> OK, but always with the same (wrong !) profile. How is it possible to
    >> tweak windows to get the right profile started.
    >> If that is possible, how is it then possible to keep that profile for
    >> a later start of FF, even if I switch inbetween to Opera as default
    >> browser and then come back to FF ?

    > Its one of my pet peeves about Firefox. It will open in the most
    > recently opened profile, unless you tell it to do otherwise. Mozilla
    > will open in Profile Manager if not told otherwise, and allow you to
    > choose.
    >
    > You could just make sure that the last profile you open is the one
    > your want to be the default.
    >
    > You will have to go into Windows Explorer, Tools>>Folder Options>>File
    > Types, and add the -p switch to the open line for htm and html files.
    > That should cause Profile Manager to open up, and let you choose the
    > profile. Or -p "profilename" would specify the exact profile, if you
    > want to set a default.
    >
    > Lee

    In fact my question begins where your answer stops. I had done already what
    you suggested, except for the "Windows Explorer, Tools>>Folder
    Options>>File
    > Types, and add the -p ...", which I couldn't. The problem here is that I

    don't have .htm and .html extensions in the file types, at my great
    surprise. I don't know how it can work when I double click a .htm file, but
    it does and it starts with whatever browser I declared as the default
    one.Strange, isn't it ? I have nowhere to write -p in the open option !
    Jay Catter, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Jay Catter wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    >

    >>Jay Catter wrote:
    >>
    >>>Windows 98. I use different profiles for Firefox, starting it with
    >>>different links.
    >>>However, a problem remains when I double click an .htm file in
    >>>Explorer when FF is set to be my default browser. It starts Firefox
    >>>OK, but always with the same (wrong !) profile. How is it possible to
    >>>tweak windows to get the right profile started.
    >>>If that is possible, how is it then possible to keep that profile for
    >>>a later start of FF, even if I switch inbetween to Opera as default
    >>>browser and then come back to FF ?

    >>Its one of my pet peeves about Firefox. It will open in the most
    >>recently opened profile, unless you tell it to do otherwise. Mozilla
    >>will open in Profile Manager if not told otherwise, and allow you to
    >>choose.
    >>
    >>You could just make sure that the last profile you open is the one
    >>your want to be the default.
    >>
    >>You will have to go into Windows Explorer, Tools>>Folder Options>>File
    >>Types, and add the -p switch to the open line for htm and html files.
    >>That should cause Profile Manager to open up, and let you choose the
    >>profile. Or -p "profilename" would specify the exact profile, if you
    >>want to set a default.
    >>
    >>Lee

    > In fact my question begins where your answer stops. I had done already what
    > you suggested, except for the "Windows Explorer, Tools>>Folder
    > Options>>File
    >
    >>Types, and add the -p ...", which I couldn't. The problem here is that I

    > don't have .htm and .html extensions in the file types, at my great
    > surprise. I don't know how it can work when I double click a .htm file, but
    > it does and it starts with whatever browser I declared as the default
    > one.Strange, isn't it ? I have nowhere to write -p in the open option !

    Try under N/A, URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 6, 2004