    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    http://www.jimscott.co.uk
    Jim S, Jul 11, 2007

  2. On 2007-07-11, Jim S <> wrote:

    > I am getting more and more problems with Firefox (2.0.0.4), locking-up and
    > not closing after the window shuts. I have asked at mozilla.support.firefox,
    > but they get a bit defensive over there.
    > Has anyone here had similar problems?
    > The lock-up comes while loading several tabs simultaneously and I think
    > perhaps the program does not shut after that, but certainly I have tried to
    > open FF only to find that its running in the background already.

    Have you tried it in Firefox's "safe mode?" This disables all your
    extensions and can help identify whether the problem is in Firefox or
    one of your extensions. If it works in safe mode, then you need to
    selectively disable/enable each of your extension to identify the
    culprit.

    When Firefox starts, it write a lock file in the active profile
    directory to prevent multiple instances from stomping on each other's
    files. The lock file is removed when Firefox closes, but in the event of
    a crash the lock file may need to be removed manually to allow the
    program to start. In linux the file is called ".parentlock" and it
    resides in the top level of the profile directory; perhaps it is the
    same in Windows, but I don't know. Just remove the lock file and
    Firefox should start.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Jul 12, 2007

  3. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:04:32 -0500, John Thompson wrote:

    > On 2007-07-11, Jim S <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am getting more and more problems with Firefox (2.0.0.4), locking-up and
    >> not closing after the window shuts. I have asked at mozilla.support.firefox,
    >> but they get a bit defensive over there.
    >> Has anyone here had similar problems?
    >> The lock-up comes while loading several tabs simultaneously and I think
    >> perhaps the program does not shut after that, but certainly I have tried to
    >> open FF only to find that its running in the background already.

    > Have you tried it in Firefox's "safe mode?" This disables all your
    > extensions and can help identify whether the problem is in Firefox or
    > one of your extensions. If it works in safe mode, then you need to
    > selectively disable/enable each of your extension to identify the
    > culprit.
    >
    > When Firefox starts, it write a lock file in the active profile
    > directory to prevent multiple instances from stomping on each other's
    > files. The lock file is removed when Firefox closes, but in the event of
    > a crash the lock file may need to be removed manually to allow the
    > program to start. In linux the file is called ".parentlock" and it
    > resides in the top level of the profile directory; perhaps it is the
    > same in Windows, but I don't know. Just remove the lock file and
    > Firefox should start.

    It would seem to happen when I am running java applets via IEtab. I do this
    because the program will not run without IEtab as I cannot gain entry to it
    via a username and password as it simply tells me that they have timed out.
    It is an online exam marking system. It certainly fills up the memory
    although I have plenty.
    It probably means I will have to do the marking in IE and when I get bored
    open up my sets of tabs in FF. Although having said that IE doesn't crash
    under the same conditions.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jul 12, 2007
  4. On 2007-07-12, Jim S <> wrote:

    > It would seem to happen when I am running java applets via IEtab. I do this
    > because the program will not run without IEtab as I cannot gain entry to it
    > via a username and password as it simply tells me that they have timed out.
    > It is an online exam marking system. It certainly fills up the memory
    > although I have plenty.
    > It probably means I will have to do the marking in IE and when I get bored
    > open up my sets of tabs in FF. Although having said that IE doesn't crash
    > under the same conditions.

    What version of Java are you using? Are the problematic applets perhaps
    built for Microsoft's deprecated (and crippled) Java VM rather than
    Sun's Java? Otherwise, I can't think of a reason why a Java applet would
    require you to use IEtab.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Jul 13, 2007
  5. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:04:01 -0500, John Thompson wrote:

    > On 2007-07-12, Jim S <> wrote:
    >
    >> It would seem to happen when I am running java applets via IEtab. I do this
    >> because the program will not run without IEtab as I cannot gain entry to it
    >> via a username and password as it simply tells me that they have timed out.
    >> It is an online exam marking system. It certainly fills up the memory
    >> although I have plenty.
    >> It probably means I will have to do the marking in IE and when I get bored
    >> open up my sets of tabs in FF. Although having said that IE doesn't crash
    >> under the same conditions.

    > What version of Java are you using? Are the problematic applets perhaps
    > built for Microsoft's deprecated (and crippled) Java VM rather than
    > Sun's Java? Otherwise, I can't think of a reason why a Java applet would
    > require you to use IEtab.

    Java version 1.5. This is the latest version I am allowed to use with this
    system. Indeed I have to delete all more recent versions and block updating
    before I began using it.
    Incidentally if I try and tick the Mozilla/Netscape box in the Java advanced
    applets section it tells me I don't have permission.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jul 13, 2007
  6. Jim S

    TheCroW Guest

    >I am getting more and more problems with Firefox (2.0.0.4), locking-up and
    > not closing after the window shuts. I have asked at
    > mozilla.support.firefox,
    > but they get a bit defensive over there.
    > Has anyone here had similar problems?
    > The lock-up comes while loading several tabs simultaneously and I think
    > perhaps the program does not shut after that, but certainly I have tried
    > open FF only to find that its running in the background already.
    > I removed TabMix+ at someone's suggestion, but it has not helped.
    > I uninstalled SeaMonkey a while back and wondered if it is worth going
    > back
    > there or do these problems arise there too?
    > I'm on WinXP SP2
    > --
    > Jim S

    Not a real answer for you ... but for me 2.0.0.4 solved that same problem
    you describe. I used to have the locking up and not ending of the program
    but with 2.0.0.4 those problems were solved ....

    Menno
    TheCroW, Jul 13, 2007
  7. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 19:02:17 +0200, TheCroW wrote:

    >>I am getting more and more problems with Firefox (2.0.0.4), locking-up and
    >> not closing after the window shuts. I have asked at
    >> mozilla.support.firefox,
    >> but they get a bit defensive over there.
    >> Has anyone here had similar problems?
    >> The lock-up comes while loading several tabs simultaneously and I think
    >> perhaps the program does not shut after that, but certainly I have tried
    >> open FF only to find that its running in the background already.
    >> I removed TabMix+ at someone's suggestion, but it has not helped.
    >> I uninstalled SeaMonkey a while back and wondered if it is worth going
    >> back
    >> there or do these problems arise there too?
    >> I'm on WinXP SP2
    >> --
    >> Jim S

    > Not a real answer for you ... but for me 2.0.0.4 solved that same problem
    > you describe. I used to have the locking up and not ending of the program
    > but with 2.0.0.4 those problems were solved ....
    >
    > Menno

    As you will see I am on 2.0.0.4.
    However I went to IE7 which I must admit I am quite enjoying, but I got it
    to freeze under the same conditions.
    Once I finish my marking and I don't have to use the java applets business
    for 12 months, I expect I will be trouble free.
    BUT do I go back to Firefox.................?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jul 14, 2007