    Any ideas, or any commercial computer fix-it whizz in Auckland who
    may be worth taking to?
    DonB
    DonB, Oct 7, 2004

  2. DonB

    Howard Guest

    Can you ping internet sites?

    ping ping.symantec.com

    If the above doesn't work, can you ping an IP address?

    ping 206.204.18.22

    If the above work, can you supply a tracert to 206.204.18.22?

    tracert 206.207.18.22

    And also, do you dialup modem or adsl | internal , usb or ethernet
    connection?

    -H
    Howard, Oct 7, 2004

  3. DonB

    PseUDO Guest

    DonB wrote:
    > After unloading all my firewalls etc and installing SP2, I was no
    > longer able to connect to the net with any browser, and there were
    > other problems as well. It seems others are having similar problems.
    > After uninstalling SP2, some problems were fixed, but not all,
    > including connectivity. I took my pc to my Guru, who restored some
    > connectivity, but was unable to fix much else, with SP2 left off.
    > My problem now is, I cannot connect with Firefox......it says the
    > sites are unavailable, try later. I can connect with Avant (explorer
    > add-on), but not Maxthon. I really want my Firefox back.
    > Any ideas, or any commercial computer fix-it whizz in Auckland who
    > may be worth taking to?
    > DonB

    Yor best bet would be backup all your important data, then do a clean
    install of windows xp and start with a fresh system, then when you have
    finished the clean install, reboot the pc, then put in the service pack
    2 cd and install it.

    Then you can setup the rest of the pc from their and you will find that
    all your problems will be fixed, the service pack is a major update to
    windows, and it doesn't always like being installed on a pc that hasn't
    had a clean up in a while, which it part of the reason why so many
    people are having problems with.

    The same thing happened when service pack 1 came out, and also when xp
    came out and people tried to install it over the top of a 3 year old
    windows 98/ME system!.

    The other thing that you could also do, which would be even better , is
    to get hold of a slipstreamed copy of windows xp that has service pack 2
    already installed, that works even better, since then you dont get a lot
    of old unused files being installed onto the hard drive that windows
    doesnt need.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Oct 7, 2004