    Thank you for any help
    Allen

    , Mar 10, 2008

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello, I'm using version 2 (latest?)
    > When I try to enter a search 'item'/word(s) into the search column I
    > get it to work sometimes, and then it doesn't at other times.....?
    >
    > The letters i type in appear in a 'bar' at the bottom of my screen but
    > not in the 'search column'...it's called 'quick find'
    >
    > Now, I'm probably doing something absolutely stupid ( I doubt this!)
    > However, can someone help with this please?
    > Thank you for any help
    > Allen

    The current version is 2.0.0.12 the version 2.0.0.11 has security
    issues. Whatever the case, at least for me, when unsure, reinstall or
    update.

    , Mar 10, 2008

  3. lid wrote:

    > Hello, I'm using version 2 (latest?)
    > When I try to enter a search 'item'/word(s) into the search column I
    > get it to work sometimes, and then it doesn't at other times.....?

    To clarify: with "search column" you mean the rightmost (usually) offering
    google and others?
    Or are you using the magnifyer type search, usually found under "edit"?

    > The letters i type in appear in a 'bar' at the bottom of my screen but
    > not in the 'search column'...it's called 'quick find'

    That would be the latter - search for words inside a already open webpage.
    It will mark all occurences of that word on the page you are displaying that
    time.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 10, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:54:22 +0100, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >To clarify: with "search column" you mean the rightmost (usually) offering
    >google and others?

    Thanks for your reply,

    No, I realise I didn't explain things clearly at all, so,....
    I have Firefox set up as my Start Page, it has the Google 'searchbox'
    there in the middle of the screen. I have to put my 'search words' or,
    my criteria into this Google 'box' and I have the choice to search:
    'the Web', or, 'pages from the UK' I can then click on a bar below
    which says 'Google search'
    >Or are you using the magnifyer type search, usually found under "edit"?

    >> The letters i type in appear in a 'bar' at the bottom of my screen but
    >> not in the 'search column'...it's called 'quick find'
    >>

    >That would be the latter - search for words inside a already open webpage.
    >It will mark all occurences of that word on the page you are displaying that
    >time.

    The 'quick find box' at the bottom only comes up when I have this
    problem with the Google box which will not let me type in any of my
    letters/words, it simple opens up this box at the bottom with the
    first letter that I type in?

    However, 'sometimes' when I type in the Google box, it does allow me
    to type, and, it does complete the action of searching in it's
    previously normal way.

    Allen

    , Mar 10, 2008
  5. Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:08:14 +0000, allen wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:54:22 +0100, wisdomkiller & pain
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > No, I realise I didn't explain things clearly at all, so,.... I have
    > Firefox set up as my Start Page, it has the Google 'searchbox' there in
    > the middle of the screen.

    So what you mean to say is that Firefox is your default browser and
    www.google.co.uk is your default home page. Why didn't you say that in
    the first place?

    > I have to put my 'search words' or, my
    > criteria into this Google 'box' and I have the choice to search: 'the
    > Web', or, 'pages from the UK' I can then click on a bar below which says
    > 'Google search'

    Typical Google UK home page behaviour. No problems there.

    >>Or are you using the magnifyer type search, usually found under "edit"?

    >>> The letters i type in appear in a 'bar' at the bottom of my screen but
    >>> not in the 'search column'...it's called 'quick find'

    Quick find in this case is used to find particular strings of characters
    (words, phrases, numbers) on the web page you are currently viewing. It
    has nothing whatsoever to do with Google searches.

    >>That would be the latter - search for words inside a already open
    >>webpage. It will mark all occurences of that word on the page you are
    >>displaying that time.

    > The 'quick find box' at the bottom only comes up when I have this
    > problem with the Google box which will not let me type in any of my
    > letters/words, it simple opens up this box at the bottom with the first
    > letter that I type in?

    It seems that you somehow open the web page search box prematurely.
    Before you type your search string into the Google search box on their
    home page do you ensure that there is a flashing cursor within that box,
    on the extreme left? If not anything you type won't appear in the box.

    > However, 'sometimes' when I type in the Google box, it does allow me to
    > type, and, it does complete the action of searching in it's previously
    > normal way.

    Because the focus is on that box before you start typing (ie. there is a
    flashing cursor in the search box)?

    HTH and HAND

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

    Aardvark, Mar 10, 2008
  6. Mike Easter Guest

    lid wrote:

    > No, I realise I didn't explain things clearly at all, so,....

    You are trying to draw a 'word picture' and you are using the wrong
    words, when a picture is worth a thousand (right) words.

    > I have Firefox set up as my Start Page, it has the Google 'searchbox'
    > there in the middle of the screen. I have to put my 'search words' or,
    > my criteria into this Google 'box' and I have the choice to search:
    > 'the Web', or, 'pages from the UK' I can then click on a bar below
    > which says 'Google search'

    One way to illustrate such a browser feature configuration webpage issue
    to someone else is to set it up, take a screenshot, annotate the
    screenshot, and upload the graphic illustration to a website or a binary
    group and provide a link or a messageid to the graphic.

    However, that would require that you know how to -1- take a
    screenshot -2- annotate it -3- upload the graphic -4- show the link

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 10, 2008
  7. allen wrote:

    > The 'quick find box' at the bottom only comes up when I have this
    > problem with the Google box which will not let me type in any of my
    > letters/words, it simple opens up this box at the bottom with the
    > first letter that I type in?

    I don't see that you've mentioned which release of FF you're using.

    That said, go here:

    Tools | Options | Advanced | General

    ....and UNcheck the box labeled "Search for text when I start typing".

    That will disable this handy feature.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 10, 2008
  8. Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:44:51 -0800, Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >I don't see that you've mentioned which release of FF you're using.

    Did you miss that part?

    "Hello, I'm using version 2 (latest?)"

    :)

    Evan Platt, Mar 10, 2008
  9. Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I don't see that you've mentioned which release of FF you're using.

    >That said, go here:
    >
    >Tools | Options | Advanced | General
    >
    >...and UNcheck the box labeled "Search for text when I start typing".
    >
    >That will disable this handy feature.

    Thanks Blinky, I reckon that's done it for me.
    It seems to be okay sometimes and then it wants to behave very odd!

    Thanks for the advice,
    Allen

    , Mar 11, 2008
  10. allen wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:44:51 -0800, Blinky the Shark
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I don't see that you've mentioned which release of FF you're using.

    >>That said, go here:
    >>
    >>Tools | Options | Advanced | General
    >>
    >>...and UNcheck the box labeled "Search for text when I start typing".
    >>
    >>That will disable this handy feature.

    > Thanks Blinky, I reckon that's done it for me.
    > It seems to be okay sometimes and then it wants to behave very odd!

    Click into the field you want to type into. FF Search isn't going to yank
    your insertion cursor out of that box.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 11, 2008