Firefox Problem

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Saxman, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. Saxman

    Saxman Guest

    Since cleaning files with a utility CCleaner, Firefox 1.01 appears to be
    operating abnormally even though I did not delete any files referenced
    to Firefox.

    Most web pages appear normally, but some do not. Listed below are the
    problems:-

    Some sites not recognised.
    Some elements missing on some pages.
    Some pages appear blank.
    Some appear as script only.

    What was working perfectly has now gone AWOL, especially with the sites
    that I visit frequently.

    I did a System Restore before any deletions and restored the drive, but
    it makes no difference, even when re-storing to a previous day.

    I have uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox via Control Panel and the Firefox
    uninstall file, but it makes no difference. I have tried removing
    Firefox folders and re-installed without success.

    After re-installation my profiles and bookmarks exist, so I could not
    have deleted this folder? A backup of bookmarks/profiles is installed
    on a seperate hard drive. I doubt the respective folders are causing
    the problem.

    I do have Internet Explorer and Opera installed and they appear to be
    working normally.

    Surely if I delete every reference to Firefox and re-install, it should
    run normally? It's knowing where all the files are?
    Saxman, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Saxman

    Saxman Guest

    Saxman wrote:
    > Since cleaning files with a utility CCleaner, Firefox 1.01 appears to be
    > operating abnormally even though I did not delete any files referenced
    > to Firefox.
    >
    > Most web pages appear normally, but some do not. Listed below are the
    > problems:-
    >
    > Some sites not recognised.
    > Some elements missing on some pages.
    > Some pages appear blank.
    > Some appear as script only.
    >
    > What was working perfectly has now gone AWOL, especially with the sites
    > that I visit frequently.
    >
    > I did a System Restore before any deletions and restored the drive, but
    > it makes no difference, even when re-storing to a previous day.
    >
    > I have uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox via Control Panel and the Firefox
    > uninstall file, but it makes no difference. I have tried removing
    > Firefox folders and re-installed without success.
    >
    > After re-installation my profiles and bookmarks exist, so I could not
    > have deleted this folder? A backup of bookmarks/profiles is installed
    > on a seperate hard drive. I doubt the respective folders are causing
    > the problem.
    >
    > I do have Internet Explorer and Opera installed and they appear to be
    > working normally.
    >
    > Surely if I delete every reference to Firefox and re-install, it should
    > run normally? It's knowing where all the files are?

    This problem appears to be affecting sites that I have visited recently
    (last 2-3 days). I have deleted the history folder, but makes no
    difference.

    Any news sites visited are rendered perfectly. The problem must be with
    a locally stored folder somewhere?
    Saxman, Apr 3, 2005

  3. Saxman

    The One Guest

    "Saxman" <> wrote in message
    > Since cleaning files with a utility CCleaner, Firefox 1.01 appears to be
    > operating abnormally even though I did not delete any files referenced
    > to Firefox.
    >
    > Most web pages appear normally, but some do not. Listed below are the
    > problems:-
    >
    > Some sites not recognised.
    > Some elements missing on some pages.
    > Some pages appear blank.
    > Some appear as script only.
    >
    > What was working perfectly has now gone AWOL, especially with the sites
    > that I visit frequently.
    >
    > I did a System Restore before any deletions and restored the drive, but
    > it makes no difference, even when re-storing to a previous day.
    >
    > I have uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox via Control Panel and the Firefox
    > uninstall file, but it makes no difference. I have tried removing
    > Firefox folders and re-installed without success.
    >
    > After re-installation my profiles and bookmarks exist, so I could not
    > have deleted this folder? A backup of bookmarks/profiles is installed
    > on a seperate hard drive. I doubt the respective folders are causing
    > the problem.
    >
    > I do have Internet Explorer and Opera installed and they appear to be
    > working normally.
    >
    > Surely if I delete every reference to Firefox and re-install, it should
    > run normally? It's knowing where all the files are?

    Firefox is frustrating and fundementally flawed, as people are like sheep
    and will follow each other off cliffs to jump on the bandwagon to spite IE
    they fail to realise that IE is actually more stable and basically better
    than Firefox. I have used Firefox which was configured correctly and it
    still failed to work at critical times. Compared to IE it is second rate and
    as a heavy PC user I have had no problems what-so-ever with IE regarding
    security etc as long as you use a recommended firewall and antivirus which
    any user should be using anyway.

    Evidently some people argue the point that Firefox is faster than IE, it
    isn't, it is sluggish over IE.
    The One, Apr 17, 2005
  4. Saxman

    D Guest

    The One wrote:

    > Evidently some people argue the point that Firefox is faster than IE, it
    > isn't, it is sluggish over IE.

    Can't say I've tried Firefox on too many machines but on my home machine
    Firefox is way faster than IE and that is the big reason I use it. It
    fires up almost instantly compared to five or six seconds of hard drive
    grinding with IE. I agree a (very) few websites don't like it but I'll
    put up with that rather than the HD grinding IE. I just did a rough
    test, To open on home page, in a best of three, I get Firefox better
    than 3 secs each time. IE a painfully slow 14 secs first try, then 8
    secs and 8 secs. IE faster than Firefox? Not even in the fucking
    ballpark.
    D, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Saxman

    Big Will Guest

    The One wrote:
    > "Saxman" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Since cleaning files with a utility CCleaner, Firefox 1.01 appears to be
    >>operating abnormally even though I did not delete any files referenced
    >>to Firefox.
    >>
    >>Most web pages appear normally, but some do not. Listed below are the
    >>problems:-
    >>
    >>Some sites not recognised.
    >>Some elements missing on some pages.
    >>Some pages appear blank.
    >>Some appear as script only.
    >>
    >>What was working perfectly has now gone AWOL, especially with the sites
    >>that I visit frequently.
    >>
    >>I did a System Restore before any deletions and restored the drive, but
    >>it makes no difference, even when re-storing to a previous day.
    >>
    >>I have uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox via Control Panel and the Firefox
    >>uninstall file, but it makes no difference. I have tried removing
    >>Firefox folders and re-installed without success.
    >>
    >>After re-installation my profiles and bookmarks exist, so I could not
    >>have deleted this folder? A backup of bookmarks/profiles is installed
    >>on a seperate hard drive. I doubt the respective folders are causing
    >>the problem.
    >>
    >>I do have Internet Explorer and Opera installed and they appear to be
    >>working normally.
    >>
    >>Surely if I delete every reference to Firefox and re-install, it should
    >>run normally? It's knowing where all the files are?

    > Firefox is frustrating and fundementally flawed, as people are like sheep
    > and will follow each other off cliffs to jump on the bandwagon to spite IE
    > they fail to realise that IE is actually more stable and basically better
    > than Firefox.

    Since FF isn't integrated into the OS, the few security flaws it has
    don't affect the Operatig system in ways that IE does. Furthermore, if
    you wish to do another test, d/l a few anti-spyware programs
    (www.lavasoftusa.com, www.safer-networking.org, www.webroot.com) and see
    what they pick up. And, just in case you're one of those who might try
    other programs, you can find a list of recommended AS SW and AS SW to
    stay away from at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm.
    What you want to do is compare the spyware hits for a machine that
    uses IE as default and spyware hits for a machine that uses FF or other
    mozilla products as default.

    > I have used Firefox which was configured correctly and it
    > still failed to work at critical times.

    How didn't it work. Was it just certain websites? Maybe did you forget
    to install a plugin that you needed for the website (Macromedia flash or
    Java) or did you just have it plain configured incorrectly (i.e. you
    messed with the about:config instead of leaving it at its default). Or
    maybe did you try to install a new version over an old one w/o removing
    the old one b4 (I've done that before, but there is a quick fix to
    resolve that problem). In any event, I'm sure the problem was you and
    your computer, and not FF. Of course, w/o any further details, all I
    can say is that what you present is opinion, which is not to be confused
    with fact. Opinions are like a**h****, everyone has them and some of
    them smell like s***

    > Compared to IE it is second rate and
    > as a heavy PC user I have had no problems what-so-ever with IE regarding
    > security etc as long as you use a recommended firewall and antivirus which
    > any user should be using anyway.

    Try the proper AS to test your hypothesis. You'd be surprised.

    > Evidently some people argue the point that Firefox is faster than IE, it
    > isn't, it is sluggish over IE.

    Well then you have a unique computer environment then, if you find those
    results. In any event, I don't see IE with tabbed-browsing, and in the
    speed category, Opera owns IE and FF.

    Regards,

    Will
    Big Will, Apr 18, 2005
  6. On 2005-04-17, The One <peaceful@hereatlast> wrote:

    > Firefox is frustrating and fundementally flawed, as people are like sheep
    > and will follow each other off cliffs to jump on the bandwagon to spite IE
    > they fail to realise that IE is actually more stable and basically better
    > than Firefox. I have used Firefox which was configured correctly and it
    > still failed to work at critical times. Compared to IE it is second rate and
    > as a heavy PC user I have had no problems what-so-ever with IE regarding
    > security etc as long as you use a recommended firewall and antivirus which
    > any user should be using anyway.

    I use FireFox exclusively for research and writing in my Master's program.
    There's no way could get IE to work in a similar manner to aid my research
    and writing. I can set up mutiple search engines, type a single query in
    the search box and select several search engines for the same query to run
    simultaneously and have the results open in separate tabs for my perusal.
    I have simple right-click access to on-line dictionaries, encyclopaedias,
    acronym finders, and so on. Just hightlight the term in the text, right
    click and go. The results open in a separate tab. It integrates readily
    with Thuderbird, so I can do the same things with email text from my
    collegues. I have no pop-ups, ads or other annoying or distracting cruft
    to get in my way.

    IE better? Sorry, not here -- no way! Perhaps IE has some advantages with
    eye-candy, fluff, and glitz, but certainly not for any serious scholarly
    work.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Apr 19, 2005