Firefox problem on x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Rob Wilkens, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. Rob Wilkens

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Tonight I started using Mozilla Firefox to download some files
    -Print Server Administrator (for a network print server I have) and firmware
    -Real Alternative

    Wellllllllllllllll....

    For some reason the files are not showing up on the desktop after I download
    them. They're there, but you can't see them.

    How do I know they're there you ask? Because when I click on the desktop
    FOLDER (right from firefox even) you can see the files alongside the rest of
    the icons that are already on the desktop. AND if I try to move the files
    from the desktop folder to the desktop, I get an "already there" error.

    Oh, here it is -- If i right click on the desktop and select REFRESH they
    show up.

    But why do I have to click Refresh, is this what we call a bug in the
    operating system or shell?

    -Rob
    Rob Wilkens, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Could be a refresh bug, why not just create a dedicated download folder on
    the desktop and save them to it?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 2, 2005

  3. Not everything that you don't like, in software is a bug. This is normal,
    and sometimes aggravating, behaviour - events in the active folder do not
    auto-update, if you have the filemanager 'Microsoft Explorer' open when you
    download and keep the folder high-lighted to which you download you should
    see the stuff appearing in the file window, if not press <F5>.
    IE too knows about this trick, but FF might not!

    Also, keeping more than a handfull of Icons on your desktop, eats resources
    and slows down your system - I too recommend, a dedicated download
    directory.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 2, 2005
  4. Rob Wilkens

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    You're right, it's not a bug it's poor design.

    It worked right in Win32 versions.

    In fact, it's working in Win64 version too now. Here's the deal -- when I
    shut down the computers the day I posted the message, there were two end
    task windows for a program called "shouldn't see me" or something like that
    :). Boy I hope that's not a virus, but I suspect that would be par for the
    course.

    OK:
    My options for antivirus software:
    -Installed: eTrust EZ Antivirus
    -Available through MSN: McAfee Antivirus
    -Through AOL: Security and Safety Center powered by McAfee
    (and that reminds me, never installed that AOL crap on this machine,
    I'm afraid)
    -Otherwise - some free alternative

    If it is or might be a virus, which do i try?

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 3, 2005
  5. eTrust.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 4, 2005
  6. Rob Wilkens

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    That wasn't in my options below :) Well, not the compatible eTrust anyway.

    I mention my options are limitted, you see, because I'm on what most people
    would refer to as a "fixed income" (welfare-like-state) and I have literally
    $200 in my bank account to last until the 21st, and I know between now and
    then I have a car insurance payment coming up ($100 or so), plus it is
    christmas.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 4, 2005
  7. Rob Wilkens

    John Barnes Guest

    Why not use Avast - free and works. Just causes a shutdown problem on a few
    machines.

    John Barnes, Dec 4, 2005
  8. On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 17:39:04 -0800, "John Barnes" <>
    wrote:

    >Why not use Avast - free and works. Just causes a shutdown problem on a few
    >machines.

    [Sorry: I know top posting is the accepted standard in this newsgroup
    but it just goes against everything I believe is right, proper, and
    good, ;=>]

    I recall that "Don" posted back in October a possible fix for the
    Avast shutdown problem, which involved swiching to classic view.

    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...neral/msg/130c23480baaf59d?dmode=source&hl=en

    J. Eric Durbin, Dec 4, 2005
  9. Rob Wilkens

    John Barnes Guest

    The fix apparently work for some and not others. Great find for those it
    works for. In my case the problem persists, unless I stop it before I shut
    down.

    John Barnes, Dec 4, 2005
  10. Rob Wilkens

    Piers James Guest

    there is a new version ov avast now. I never had the shutdown problem, so I
    don't know if it fixes it, but it might.

    Piers James, Dec 4, 2005
  11. Yes, the 'fix' worked here for something like five wonderful days, too, then
    became inconsistent again - but John, some other post you made about
    warnings/errors reported in event viewer - regarding DCOM, if I recall, made
    me rummage about in there and I had a warning that the system couldn't send
    an administrative alert because of something connected with my page-file -
    so I turned off the 'Send Administrative Alert'option in 'Startup and
    Recovery' tab in the 'System' Control Panel applet. Now, I did something
    else too that I can't remember, but I can try and back-trace my actions if
    it seems worthwhile.

    For some days now, the machine is turning off, with at least decreased
    inconsistency. I wasn't looking for this happening so I cannot estimate for
    the efficiency percentage. If your setup doesn't rely on the admin alert,
    you might check it out. Perhaps we are cirkling in on that 'mother'?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 4, 2005
  12. Rob Wilkens

    John Barnes Guest

    Did not on my machine.

    John Barnes, Dec 4, 2005
  13. Those who are running Avast! get the updates on-line atomatically, and the
    problem has been reported for years according to John, so we shouldn't
    expect a fix from that direction - they have a professional version that
    pays their bread and I am quite happy that they do it at all. The rest is up
    to me.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 4, 2005
  14. Rob Wilkens

    John Barnes Guest

    :) right to the point

    John Barnes, Dec 4, 2005
  15. Rob Wilkens

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Thanks, but...

    I guess I'll avoid avast... Last thing I want is a virus scanner that acts
    like a virus...

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 4, 2005
  16. Please, In no way does it act like a virus! And if you haven't tried it, no
    way to tell what you really would think. There's a couple of happy users
    here (with the problem) and several without any problem. But we would all
    love to kiss those ramifications a hearty good-bye, naturally.

    But there are alternatives that comes with recommendations. You'll find
    something you like, I'm sure.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 5, 2005
  17. Rob Wilkens

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    I went ahead when I saw the link posted -- and so far, i'm happy.

    Just finished a full scan (33gig on this disk) and except for a few files
    which it claimed it "could not scan because archive is password protected"
    all came up clean.

    I think I'll like it.

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 5, 2005
  18. Welcome, to the 'Club', I'm sure you'll appreciate the frequent updates - 2
    to 4 a day, with very few 'in-betweens'. This is what I consider to be
    'Visible Interest from Home-base'.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 5, 2005