Firefox Preloader problem

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by R Hickey, Sep 14, 2005.

  1. R Hickey

    R Hickey Guest

    During a stay by my daughter and family, she used my computer and somehow,
    somewhere I got some kind of pop-up or BHO installed on my system.

    Whenever the computer starts, a box with "sidesearch.lycos.com could not
    be found" pops up. I click "OK" and it goes away. Then I noticed the
    little task-bar looking thing for the FF preloader was also up in the
    corner of my screen.

    When I'd close this bar, the lycos pop-up screen would re-appear. I
    uninstalled FF preloader and the problem stopped ... but I don't have the
    preloader anymore.

    I ran a number of spyware cleaners, BHO removers and HiJack This! along
    with other maintenance applications. They didn't do the trick.

    I then ran a registry cleaner in the hope that it might eliminate all
    traces of preloader and/or the lycos stuff. I re-installed FF preloader
    but the damn lycos box is back!

    Any ideas how to fix this? I've emailed Lycos about it but have not heard
    back from them. Any help is appreciated.

    Robert

    R Hickey, Sep 14, 2005