    whatever. I have Win98SE and MP 6.4 but Windows media won't run in
    Firefox. I can make Real run with RealAlternative but not Windows
    media. What can I do?

    GraB, Jan 4, 2005

  2. GraB

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:24:39 +1300, in message
    <>, GraB wrote:

    > I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
    > plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
    > it never finds any.

    See the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
    about:plugins
    into Firefox's URL bar.

    Or simply try these ...

    • Popular plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
    • Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/pi_search_pi.jsp
    • Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/

    > whatever. I have Win98SE and MP 6.4 but Windows media won't run in
    > Firefox.

    For Windows media and Firefox, see these
    • http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP
    • http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
    • http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=167260

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jan 4, 2005

  3. GraB wrote:
    > I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
    > plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
    > it never finds any.

    I use to have the same problem. If I remember correctly, it was because
    I had Firefox set to block installation of programmes... Check your
    options.

    Options --> Web Features --> Allow websites to install software

    Man in Yellow Hat, Jan 4, 2005
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:10:35 +1300, Man in Yellow Hat
    <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
    >> plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
    >> it never finds any.

    >I use to have the same problem. If I remember correctly, it was because
    >I had Firefox set to block installation of programmes... Check your
    >options.
    >
    >Options --> Web Features --> Allow websites to install software

    Off course, that makes sense.

    GraB, Jan 4, 2005
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:48:00 +0000, Ralph Fox
    <-echo.invalid> wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:24:39 +1300, in message
    ><>, GraB wrote:
    >
    >> I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
    >> plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
    >> it never finds any.

    >See the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
    > about:plugins
    >into Firefox's URL bar.
    >
    >Or simply try these ...
    >
    > • Popular plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
    > • Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/pi_search_pi.jsp
    > • Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/

    >> whatever. I have Win98SE and MP 6.4 but Windows media won't run in
    >> Firefox.

    >For Windows media and Firefox, see these
    > • http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP
    > • http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
    > • http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=167260
    >

    >> I can make Real run with RealAlternative but not Windows
    >> media. What can I do?

    I reinstalled MP6.4 but still no luck. I won't install any later
    version of MP. Why should I? It works fine in Opera so why won't
    Firefox run with it?

    GraB, Jan 5, 2005
  6. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 04:34:11 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:10:35 +1300, Man in Yellow Hat
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>GraB wrote:
    >>> I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
    >>> plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
    >>> it never finds any.

    >>I use to have the same problem. If I remember correctly, it was because
    >>I had Firefox set to block installation of programmes... Check your
    >>options.
    >>
    >>Options --> Web Features --> Allow websites to install software

    >Off course, that makes sense.

    No this doesn't work. It still doesn't find the plugin.

    GraB, Jan 5, 2005
  7. GraB

    Dave Taylor Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > I can make Real run with RealAlternative but not Windows
    > media. What can I do?

    I have XP, not 98. My problem was similar until I reinstalled windows
    media player. I used the installation file that is in my program files
    folder.
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Installer\mpsetupxp.exe

    I have version 9 and I adjusted the associations to only use wma files
    and a few others windows media specific ones. I try to use media player
    classic as much as possible myself, but wma streams would not open.
    Manually adjusting the associations in firefox wasn't working, so I did
    the reinstall. That fixed it. Of course Microsft took over a bunch of
    file associations, but I fixed that by going into the settings of Windows
    Media Player.

    Maybe you could try adding the wmp9 or 10 codec pack only?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 5, 2005
  8. GraB

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:41:33 +1300, GraB <> says...
    > On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:48:00 +0000, Ralph Fox
    > <-echo.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:24:39 +1300, in message
    > ><>, GraB wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
    > >> plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
    > >> it never finds any.

    > >See the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
    > > about:plugins
    > >into Firefox's URL bar.
    > >
    > >Or simply try these ...
    > >
    > > • Popular plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
    > > • Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/pi_search_pi.jsp
    > > • Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/

    > >> whatever. I have Win98SE and MP 6.4 but Windows media won't run in
    > >> Firefox.

    > >For Windows media and Firefox, see these
    > > • http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP
    > > • http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
    > > • http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=167260
    > >

    > >> I can make Real run with RealAlternative but not Windows
    > >> media. What can I do?

    > I reinstalled MP6.4 but still no luck. I won't install any later
    > version of MP. Why should I? It works fine in Opera so why won't
    > Firefox run with it?

    why should you? because later windows media formats are not supported by
    WMP 6.4

    Adder, Jan 5, 2005
  9. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:06:38 +1300, Adder <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:41:33 +1300, GraB <> says...
    >> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:48:00 +0000, Ralph Fox
    >> <-echo.invalid> wrote:

    >> >See the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
    >> > about:plugins
    >> >into Firefox's URL bar.
    >> >
    >> >Or simply try these ...
    >> >
    >> > • Popular plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
    >> > • Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/pi_search_pi.jsp
    >> > • Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/

    >> >For Windows media and Firefox, see these
    >> > • http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP
    >> > • http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
    >> > • http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=167260

    >> I reinstalled MP6.4 but still no luck. I won't install any later
    >> version of MP. Why should I? It works fine in Opera so why won't
    >> Firefox run with it?

    >why should you? because later windows media formats are not supported by
    >WMP 6.4

    That seems to only be wmv v9. And that isn't worth bothering about.
    I had MP9 installed for about an hour recently before I took it off
    again.

    GraB, Jan 5, 2005
  10. GraB

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:41:33 +1300, in message
    <>, GraB wrote:

    > I reinstalled MP6.4 but still no luck. I won't install any later
    > version of MP. Why should I? It works fine in Opera so why won't
    > Firefox run with it?

    OK, so you have WMP version 6.4, and not a later version (e.g. those
    Firefox help links were for WMP version 7.1 or later).

    1. Go look in Firefox's plugins directory "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins".

    Is the WMP 6.4 plugin DLL file "npdsplay.dll" in that directory?

    If not, can you copy the file "npdsplay.dll" from another
    directory, e.g. the Netscape 4 plugins directory
    "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\Plugins"
    or the equivalent Opera plugins directory?

    2. enter
    about:plugins
    into Firefox's URL bar.

    Does the list of plugins which appears, include this?

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before

    Ralph Fox, Jan 5, 2005
  11. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:13:29 +0000, Ralph Fox
    <-echo.invalid> wrote:

    >On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:41:33 +1300, in message
    ><>, GraB wrote:
    >
    >> I reinstalled MP6.4 but still no luck. I won't install any later
    >> version of MP. Why should I? It works fine in Opera so why won't
    >> Firefox run with it?

    >OK, so you have WMP version 6.4, and not a later version (e.g. those
    >Firefox help links were for WMP version 7.1 or later).
    >

    >1. Go look in Firefox's plugins directory "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins".
    >
    > Is the WMP 6.4 plugin DLL file "npdsplay.dll" in that directory?
    >
    > If not, can you copy the file "npdsplay.dll" from another
    > directory, e.g. the Netscape 4 plugins directory
    > "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\Plugins"
    > or the equivalent Opera plugins directory?
    >

    >2. enter
    > about:plugins
    > into Firefox's URL bar.
    >
    > Does the list of plugins which appears, include this?
    >
    >| Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
    >|
    >| File name: C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\plugins\npdsplay.dll
    >| Npdsplay dll
    >|
    >| MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    >| application/asx Media Files * Yes
    >| video/x-ms-asf-plugin Media Files * Yes
    >| application/x-mplayer2 Media Files * Yes

    Got it in Opera plugins. It works now, but with Opera you got more
    download details. Thanks.

    GraB, Jan 5, 2005