Firefox Plugins: Getting Rid Of Them And Other Questions

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Lone Clapper, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. Lone Clapper

    Lone Clapper Guest

    I had a problem with Macromedia Flash checking for updates without my
    knowledge or consent. My firewall software wasn't an obstacle, leading me
    to believe that Flash was communicating within the process space of
    Firefox.

    I routinely check the "Extensions" in my browser and never saw any listed.
    However, in the Macromedia "plugins" folder there was a number of dll files
    and an exe file from Macromedia. That must have been how Flash was able to
    bypass the firewall.

    Since these are dll files and integrated with Firefox, I consider this
    nothing more than spyware and a HUGE security risk. You don't know what
    those plugins are doing, what they are monitoring, what or with whom they
    are communicating. Your firewall can't stop them, either.

    So is there any other way for Firefox plugins to communicate without my
    knowledge? Is there any other place that they can hide on my computer?
    Can they hide in my registry?

    I love the Firefox browser. I don't want to stop using it because of this
    mainly because IE is no better. In fact, IE is much worse.

    However, I want these damn plugins gone! I found some from "Real
    Networks", too. Damn those jerks!

    Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Is there anyway to
    completely shut off plugin functionality? It looks like Mozilla has gotten
    just as bad as Microsoft in this respect.

    (I just read about about:plugins. It looks like there are a bunch of
    Microsoft DRM "Digital Rights Management" plugins installed. I want these
    gone, too.)

    Thanks for your help.
    Lone Clapper, Nov 1, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lone Clapper

    Doug G Guest

    Lone Clapper wrote:
    > I had a problem with Macromedia Flash checking for updates without my
    > knowledge or consent. My firewall software wasn't an obstacle, leading me
    > to believe that Flash was communicating within the process space of
    > Firefox.
    >
    > I routinely check the "Extensions" in my browser and never saw any listed.
    > However, in the Macromedia "plugins" folder there was a number of dll files
    > and an exe file from Macromedia. That must have been how Flash was able to
    > bypass the firewall.
    >
    > Since these are dll files and integrated with Firefox, I consider this
    > nothing more than spyware and a HUGE security risk. You don't know what
    > those plugins are doing, what they are monitoring, what or with whom they
    > are communicating. Your firewall can't stop them, either.
    >
    > So is there any other way for Firefox plugins to communicate without my
    > knowledge? Is there any other place that they can hide on my computer?
    > Can they hide in my registry?
    >
    > I love the Firefox browser. I don't want to stop using it because of this
    > mainly because IE is no better. In fact, IE is much worse.
    >
    > However, I want these damn plugins gone! I found some from "Real
    > Networks", too. Damn those jerks!
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Is there anyway to
    > completely shut off plugin functionality? It looks like Mozilla has gotten
    > just as bad as Microsoft in this respect.
    >
    > (I just read about about:plugins. It looks like there are a bunch of
    > Microsoft DRM "Digital Rights Management" plugins installed. I want these
    > gone, too.)
    >
    > Thanks for your help.


    Try renaming the DLL files.
    Doug G, Nov 2, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lone Clapper

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Lone Clapper wrote:

    > Since these are dll files and integrated with Firefox, I consider this
    > nothing more than spyware and a HUGE security risk. You don't know what
    > those plugins are doing, what they are monitoring, what or with whom they
    > are communicating. Your firewall can't stop them, either.


    Flash itself don't contain spyware, but products like Microsoft WindowsXP
    does. If you are worried abut security, then take a look at Macromedias FAQ:
    http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashplayer/security/privacy_policy/faq.html


    > So is there any other way for Firefox plugins to communicate without my
    > knowledge? Is there any other place that they can hide on my computer?
    > Can they hide in my registry?


    Of course, all dlls, specially those that are written by Microsoft has the
    potential to communicate with the outside world without telling you nor
    alarming a firewall, but only when the dlls has been loaded. In most case dlls
    are quite harmless and required for things to work in a Microsoft environment.

    Firefox has it's plugins in one place, Firefox plugins in other locations are
    ignored.


    > However, I want these damn plugins gone! I found some from "Real
    > Networks", too. Damn those jerks!


    Empty the plugin directory and you are rid of the plugins, but those plugins
    have been installed by you at some point.


    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Nov 2, 2005
    #3
  4. On 2005-11-01, Lone Clapper <> wrote:
    > I had a problem with Macromedia Flash checking for updates without my
    > knowledge or consent. My firewall software wasn't an obstacle, leading me
    > to believe that Flash was communicating within the process space of
    > Firefox.
    >
    > I routinely check the "Extensions" in my browser and never saw any listed.
    > However, in the Macromedia "plugins" folder there was a number of dll files
    > and an exe file from Macromedia. That must have been how Flash was able to
    > bypass the firewall.
    >
    > Since these are dll files and integrated with Firefox, I consider this
    > nothing more than spyware and a HUGE security risk. You don't know what
    > those plugins are doing, what they are monitoring, what or with whom they
    > are communicating. Your firewall can't stop them, either.
    >
    > So is there any other way for Firefox plugins to communicate without my
    > knowledge? Is there any other place that they can hide on my computer?
    > Can they hide in my registry?
    >
    > I love the Firefox browser. I don't want to stop using it because of this
    > mainly because IE is no better. In fact, IE is much worse.
    >
    > However, I want these damn plugins gone! I found some from "Real
    > Networks", too. Damn those jerks!
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Is there anyway to
    > completely shut off plugin functionality? It looks like Mozilla has gotten
    > just as bad as Microsoft in this respect.
    >
    > (I just read about about:plugins. It looks like there are a bunch of
    > Microsoft DRM "Digital Rights Management" plugins installed. I want these
    > gone, too.)
    >
    > Thanks for your help.


    There is an executable that starts with "getmacro..." in one of the directories
    of firefox; either delete of rename; don't remember where the programs was under
    windows.
    plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu, Nov 2, 2005
    #4
  5. Lone Clapper wrote:

    >I had a problem with Macromedia Flash checking for updates without my
    >knowledge or consent. My firewall software wasn't an obstacle, leading me
    >to believe that Flash was communicating within the process space of
    >Firefox.
    >
    >I routinely check the "Extensions" in my browser and never saw any listed.
    >However, in the Macromedia "plugins" folder there was a number of dll files
    >and an exe file from Macromedia. That must have been how Flash was able to
    >bypass the firewall.
    >
    >Since these are dll files and integrated with Firefox, I consider this
    >nothing more than spyware and a HUGE security risk. You don't know what
    >those plugins are doing, what they are monitoring, what or with whom they
    >are communicating. Your firewall can't stop them, either.
    >
    >So is there any other way for Firefox plugins to communicate without my
    >knowledge? Is there any other place that they can hide on my computer?
    >Can they hide in my registry?
    >
    >I love the Firefox browser. I don't want to stop using it because of this
    >mainly because IE is no better. In fact, IE is much worse.
    >
    >However, I want these damn plugins gone! I found some from "Real
    >Networks", too. Damn those jerks!
    >
    >Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Is there anyway to
    >completely shut off plugin functionality? It looks like Mozilla has gotten
    >just as bad as Microsoft in this respect.
    >
    >(I just read about about:plugins. It looks like there are a bunch of
    >Microsoft DRM "Digital Rights Management" plugins installed. I want these
    >gone, too.)
    >
    >Thanks for your help.
    >
    >

    I dont reply to multiposted messages, pick one group and ask
    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 10, 2006
    #5
  6. Lone Clapper

    Sniper .308 Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:46:02 GMT, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    <> wrote:


    >I dont reply to multiposted messages, pick one group and ask


    Ummmmm, you just did! So, you could have at least posted something
    semi-intelligent or useful.
    Sniper .308, Jan 10, 2006
    #6
  7. Sniper .308 wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:46:02 GMT, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >>I dont reply to multiposted messages, pick one group and ask
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Ummmmm, you just did! So, you could have at least posted something
    >semi-intelligent or useful.
    >
    >

    I actually spent over a half hour investigating the issue, and writing a
    reply, prior to noticing that the post was cross posted. If the person
    wishes to have such benefit, then I would suggest they dont crosspost
    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 11, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. dave
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,118
    bill yohler
    Dec 5, 2004
  2. Replies:
    21
    Views:
    1,487
    Busman
    Mar 9, 2006
  3. Mike Timbell
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,486
    Don Wiss
    Nov 13, 2003
  4. Jason

    Bugs and Bugs...get rid of them

    Jason, Jan 31, 2006, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    462
    Hellish
    Jan 31, 2006
  5. Martin
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    601
    dadiOH
    Jan 14, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page