Firefox & .PDF viewing

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Jim Adamthwaite, Dec 24, 2005.

  1. Is it possible to display .PDF's in the normal firefox viewing window?
    I am running SUSE v10.0 linux.

    I downloaded via the link at mozilla.org & it proved to be v5.0 (old)
    and it seems to only act as a standalone program.

    Jim A.
    Jim Adamthwaite, Dec 24, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jim Adamthwaite

    Tony Raven Guest

    Jim Adamthwaite wrote:
    > Is it possible to display .PDF's in the normal firefox viewing window?
    > I am running SUSE v10.0 linux.
    >
    > I downloaded via the link at mozilla.org & it proved to be v5.0 (old)
    > and it seems to only act as a standalone program.
    >


    Try the PDF Download Extension which allows you to choose to download a
    PDF or view it in a browser tab.
    http://www.rabotat.org/firefox/

    You might also like to try the Foxit PDF reader.

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham
    Tony Raven, Dec 24, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jim Adamthwaite

    Jedi Fans Guest

    On 24/12/05 10:15, Jim Adamthwaite scribbled:
    > Is it possible to display .PDF's in the normal firefox viewing window?
    > I am running SUSE v10.0 linux.
    >
    > I downloaded via the link at mozilla.org & it proved to be v5.0 (old)
    > and it seems to only act as a standalone program.
    >
    > Jim A.

    This was answered in alt.os.linux.suse a while back, have a
    look here:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.suse/search?group=alt.os.linux.suse&q=pdf+firefox&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group>
    watch for wrapping!

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    Kieren aka JediFans - <URL:http://jedifans.com/>
    The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5 RC2,
    Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5 RC1 and Revenge Of The Sith!
    Jedi Fans, Dec 24, 2005
    #3
  4. Tony Raven wrote:
    > Jim Adamthwaite wrote:
    >> Is it possible to display .PDF's in the normal firefox viewing window?
    >> I am running SUSE v10.0 linux.
    >>
    >> I downloaded via the link at mozilla.org & it proved to be v5.0 (old)
    >> and it seems to only act as a standalone program.
    >>

    >
    > Try the PDF Download Extension which allows you to choose to download a
    > PDF or view it in a browser tab.
    > http://www.rabotat.org/firefox/
    >
    > You might also like to try the Foxit PDF reader.
    >


    Does Foxit run on Linux? I thought it was Windows only.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 24, 2005
    #4
  5. Jim Adamthwaite

    Tony Raven Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    > Does Foxit run on Linux? I thought it was Windows only.
    >


    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_sdk.php ?




    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham
    Tony Raven, Dec 24, 2005
    #5
  6. Tony Raven wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> Does Foxit run on Linux? I thought it was Windows only.
    >>

    >
    > http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_sdk.php ?
    >
    >
    >
    >


    I may be wrong, but that does not appear to be the free Foxit reader.
    Note this quote from the page:

    Foxit Reader SDK is a light weight, fast, clean software development kit
    for rendering PDF page contents in a wide range of applications.

    It goes on to discuss pricing and licensing.

    here is the link I have for the free Foxit, which, at least from this,
    appears to be Windows only.

    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php


    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 25, 2005
    #6
  7. Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com"> wrote:

    > On 24/12/05 10:15, Jim Adamthwaite scribbled:
    >> Is it possible to display .PDF's in the normal firefox viewing
    >> window? I am running SUSE v10.0 linux.
    >>
    >> I downloaded via the link at mozilla.org & it proved to be v5.0 (old)
    >> and it seems to only act as a standalone program.
    >>
    >> Jim A.

    > This was answered in alt.os.linux.suse a while back, have a
    > look here:
    >

    <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.suse/search?group=alt.os.linux.suse&q=pdf+firefox&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group>
    > watch for wrapping!
    >

    Ta very much for that. It worked like a shot, even thru the blur of
    xmas spirit.
    Jim A.
    Jim Adamthwaite, Dec 25, 2005
    #7
  8. Jim Adamthwaite

    Tony Raven Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >
    > I may be wrong, but that does not appear to be the free Foxit reader.
    > Note this quote from the page:
    >
    > Foxit Reader SDK is a light weight, fast, clean software development kit
    > for rendering PDF page contents in a wide range of applications.
    >
    > It goes on to discuss pricing and licensing.
    >
    > here is the link I have for the free Foxit, which, at least from this,
    > appears to be Windows only.
    >
    > http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php


    Yes, but its not meant to be easy in Linux
    (ducks and runs for cover) ;-)

    Merry Christmas.

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham
    Tony Raven, Dec 25, 2005
    #8
  9. Jim Adamthwaite

    Jedi Fans Guest

    On 25/12/05 04:46, Jim Adamthwaite scribbled:
    > Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com"> wrote:
    >
    >> On 24/12/05 10:15, Jim Adamthwaite scribbled:
    >>> Is it possible to display .PDF's in the normal firefox viewing
    >>> window? I am running SUSE v10.0 linux.
    >>>
    >>> I downloaded via the link at mozilla.org & it proved to be v5.0 (old)
    >>> and it seems to only act as a standalone program.
    >>>
    >>> Jim A.

    >> This was answered in alt.os.linux.suse a while back, have a
    >> look here:
    >>

    > <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.suse/search?group=alt.os.linux.suse&q=pdf+firefox&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group>
    >> watch for wrapping!
    >>

    > Ta very much for that. It worked like a shot, even thru the blur of
    > xmas spirit.
    > Jim A.

    Most welcome mate :D, Merry Christmas :D

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    Kieren aka JediFans - <URL:http://jedifans.com/>
    The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5 RC2,
    Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5 RC1 and Revenge Of The Sith!
    Jedi Fans, Dec 25, 2005
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Scott McCarthy

    Problems viewing PDF Files in Firebird 0.7

    Scott McCarthy, Nov 16, 2003, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    557
    Alan P
    Dec 7, 2003
  2. goonmunster
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,027
    Moz Champion
    Feb 12, 2005
  3. Ray Donzdorf

    PC Viewing vs DVD Player Viewing - MP3 play very fast

    Ray Donzdorf, Dec 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    737
    Ray Donzdorf
    Dec 11, 2004
  4. Paul S.

    PDF viewing error.

    Paul S., Mar 4, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    4,734
  5. Norvin

    PDF file viewing

    Norvin, Jan 12, 2009, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,467
    Norvin
    Jan 12, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page