Firefox or Mozilla firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Tom Allen, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. Tom Allen

    Tom Allen Guest

    Gary Weselle wrote:
    > Hi
    >

    > I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
    > installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox
    >

    > WinDos:
    >
    > Help > About Mozilla Firefox
    >
    > Shows version 1.5.0.1
    >

    > Linux/Debian:
    >
    > Help > About Firfox
    >
    > Shows version 1.5.0.1
    >

    > But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the same.
    >
    > The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different programs
    > all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named (Firefox).
    >

    > Can some one comment on this.

    Do they both have the same Theme? I've seen a difference on a number of
    items depending upon the theme used.
    Tom Allen, Mar 11, 2006

  2. Tom Allen

    gwtc Guest

    Gary Weselle wrote:
    > Hi
    >

    > I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
    > installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox
    >

    > WinDos:
    >
    > Help > About Mozilla Firefox
    >
    > Shows version 1.5.0.1
    >

    > Linux/Debian:
    >
    > Help > About Firfox
    >
    > Shows version 1.5.0.1
    >

    > But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the same.
    >
    > The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different programs
    > all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named (Firefox).
    >

    > Can some one comment on this.
    >

    > Thanks

    they're both the same program -- Firefox or Mozilla Firefox. One
    calls it Firefox the other doesn't.
    gwtc, Mar 11, 2006

  3. Tom Allen

    gwtc Guest

    Gary Weselle wrote:
    > "gwtc" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gary Weselle wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>

    >>>I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
    >>>installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox
    >>>

    >>>WinDos:
    >>>
    >>>Help > About Mozilla Firefox
    >>>
    >>>Shows version 1.5.0.1
    >>>

    >>>Linux/Debian:
    >>>
    >>>Help > About Firfox
    >>>
    >>>Shows version 1.5.0.1
    >>>

    >>>But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the

    > same.
    >
    >>>The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different

    > programs
    >
    >>>all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named

    > (Firefox).
    >

    >>>Can some one comment on this.
    >>>

    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>they're both the same program -- Firefox or Mozilla Firefox. One
    >>calls it Firefox the other doesn't.

    > But Linux/Debian have Edit > Preferences where WinDos2000 have Tools >
    > Options just to mention one of the differences.

    that is the way of the OS, not the program. Preferences for *just
    about* any linux program comes under Edit, while for windows it comes
    under tools.

    Gary Weselle, Mar 12, 2006
  5. Tom Allen

    Gary Weselle Guest

    "Tom Allen" <> wrote in message
    > Gary Weselle wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >

    > > I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
    > > installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox
    > >

    > > WinDos:
    > >
    > > Help > About Mozilla Firefox
    > >
    > > Shows version 1.5.0.1
    > >

    > > Linux/Debian:
    > >
    > > Help > About Firfox
    > >
    > > Shows version 1.5.0.1
    > >

    > > But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the

    same.

    > > The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different

    programs
    > > all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named

    (Firefox).

    > > Can some one comment on this.

    > Do they both have the same Theme? I've seen a difference on a number of
    > items depending upon the theme used.

    They appear to be, I have not change any Themes stuff since I installed
    them. However on both of them, under Tools > Themes the windows which popped
    up are not 100% identical.

    The window is split up to right and left sections and bottoms at the bottom,
    the only difference is that the right window on the WinDos2000 shows
    (Firefox, the browser loaded) and 5 icons under that but on the Linux/Debian
    it is blank. Both read [Firefox (default) 2.0 The default theme] on both of
    them.

    hummmm
    Gary Weselle, Mar 12, 2006
  6. Tom Allen

    Gary Weselle Guest

    Gary Weselle, Mar 12, 2006

    Gary Weselle schreef:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
    > installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox
    >
    > WinDos:
    >
    > Help > About Mozilla Firefox
    >
    > Shows version 1.5.0.1
    >
    > Linux/Debian:
    >
    > Help > About Firfox
    >
    > Shows version 1.5.0.1
    >
    > But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the same.
    >
    > The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different programs
    > all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named (Firefox).

    Strange conclusion.

    > Can some one comment on this.

    It?s strange, if I look into the localising code, there is no difference
    between the Linux and the Windows version, they both use "About
    &brandFullName;", which should boil down to About Mozilla Firefox. I
    don?t understand why it shows something else on Debian.

    > But Linux/Debian have Edit > Preferences where WinDos2000 have Tools >
    > Options just to mention one of the differences.

    That?s called platform-specific differences. There are certain
    conventions on where certain menus and options come in Linux and
    Windows. Firefox adheres to them. So in the source you?ll often find
    stuff like

    <!ENTITY quitApplicationCmdWin.label "Exit">
    <!ENTITY quitApplicationCmdWin.accesskey "x">
    <!ENTITY quitApplicationCmd.label "Quit">
    <!ENTITY quitApplicationCmd.accesskey "Q">
    <!ENTITY quitApplicationCmdMac.label "Quit">
    <!ENTITY quitApplicationCmdMac.key "Q">

    Because in Windows, this command is called Exit, whereas on Linux and
    Mac, they are generally called Quit. Also on the sortcuts there are
    small differences. So is Downloads Ctrl+J on Windows but Ctrl+Y on
    Linux. AFAICT, this is because Ctrl+J is close to Ctrl+K, which has
    undesirable effects on some Linux programs. And so on and so on...

    H.
    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    www.lieverleven.be