Firefox Options

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Mar 27, 2007.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:05:31 -0500, jim wrote:

    > what I enter in forms and search bar is checked in Firefox Options, yet when
    > I go back,it is blank .
    > Any thoughts welcomed
    > Jim

    There was a young man from Dundee
    Who was stung on the neck by a wasp
    When asked "Does it hurt?"
    He replied "No not much,
    It can do it again if it wants".

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

    jim, Mar 27, 2007

  3. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:12:40 -0500, jim wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:05:31 -0500, jim wrote:
    >>
    >>> what I enter in forms and search bar is checked in Firefox Options, yet
    >>> when
    >>> I go back,it is blank .
    >>> Any thoughts welcomed
    >>> Jim

    >> There was a young man from Dundee
    >> Who was stung on the neck by a wasp
    >> When asked "Does it hurt?"
    >> He replied "No not much,
    >> It can do it again if it wants".
    >>
    >> --
    >> Registered Linux User 413057.
    >> Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    >> You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

    > Boy, I needed that
    > Jim

    You posted some nonsense so I thought I'd return the favour.

    Think about what you want to ask then put it down in a coherent,
    intelligible way.

    Then you won't get nonsense replies.

    Aardvark, Mar 27, 2007
  4. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:32:03 -0500, jim wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:12:40 -0500, jim wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Aardvark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Boy, I needed that
    >>> Jim

    >> You posted some nonsense so I thought I'd return the favour.
    >>
    >> Think about what you want to ask then put it down in a coherent,
    >> intelligible way.
    >>
    >> Then you won't get nonsense replies.
    >>

    > I think I hear your Mommy calling you to go home, it must be time for you to
    > go to bed

    LOL I'm probably quite a bit older than you. And you still have no
    solution to your problem.

    Look jim, let me put it simply: your original question made next to no
    sense. Take a deep breath, think about what the problem is (details) then
    tell the group exactly what you have done in your browser settings,
    exactly what you wish to happen whilst your browser is running, and
    exactly what unwanted behaviour your browser is exhibiting.

    Perhaps then someone may feel motivated to help you. Perhaps that someone
    might be me.

    And try to avoid including my sig in any reply you might make subsequent
    to this post. I know replying to newsgroups in OE has a bunch of problems
    but do try to snip stuff not pertinent.

    Aardvark, Mar 27, 2007
  5. Aardvark

    jim Guest

    jim, Mar 27, 2007
  6. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:11:00 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:32:03 -0500, "jim" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I think I hear your Mommy calling you to go home, it must be time for you to
    >>go to bed

    > You're the one who types like a 7 year old.

    Awwww! Stop picking on the poor kid Evan :)

    Aardvark, Mar 27, 2007
  7. Aardvark

    jim Guest

    jim, Mar 27, 2007
  8. Aardvark

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Mar 28, 2007
  9. Aardvark

    sittingduck Guest

    jim wrote:

    > what I enter in forms and search bar is checked in Firefox Options, yet
    > when I go back,it is blank .
    > Any thoughts welcomed

    Check the options for "private data" you probably have it set to clear at
    exit.

    sittingduck, Mar 28, 2007
  10. Aardvark

    jim Guest

    "> Check the options for "private data" you probably have it set to clear at
    > exit.

    No, clear at exit is unchecked.
    Thanks anyway.
    Jim

    jim, Mar 28, 2007
  11. Aardvark

    jim Guest

    "Evan Platt" wrote in message

    You're the one who types like a 7 year old.
    That's because I am only 6
    Jim

    jim, Mar 28, 2007
  12. Aardvark

    Neil Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message news:ZNeOh.14695$...
    > what I enter in forms and search bar is checked in Firefox Options, yet when
    > I go back,it is blank .
    > Any thoughts welcomed
    > Jim

    Mozilla Firefox OptionsPreferences

    This document explains all of the optionspreferences available in the
    OptionsPreferences window of Mozilla Firefox.

    In this section:

    * Main OptionsPreferences

    * Tabs OptionsPreferences

    * Content OptionsPreferences

    * Feeds OptionsPreferences

    * Privacy OptionsPreferences

    * Security OptionsPreferences

    * Advanced OptionsPreferences

    Main OptionsPreferences

    Startup

    When you open Firefox, by default your home page is displayed. Your home page
    might be a commonly-visited web site, a search engine, or perhaps your email
    account, but the choice is up to you. You can change your home page or
    choose to display a different page or set of pages on startup in this
    section.

    When Firefox starts

    By default, when Firefox starts it opens your home page (listed in
    the textbox immediately below), which corresponds to the Show my home
    page option. Alternately, you can choose to display a blank page on
    startup (perhaps to eliminate the time required to load that page from the
    Internet) by selecting the Show a blank page option.

    As a final alternative, you can have Firefox reopen the windows and
    tabs you had open the last time you ran Firefox, effectively
    restoring you to where you were when you last stopped browsing the Internet.
    This can be a handy way of saving what you were doing when you close
    Firefox, perhaps to install an operating system update. You can
    choose this option by selecting Show my windows and tabs from last
    time.

    Home Page

    If you've set Firefox to show your home page when you start
    Firefox, you specify your home page by typing it here. You can
    also click any of the buttons below the textbox to choose a special home
    page:

    * Use Current Page sets the currently-displayed page (or pages,
    if you have multiple tabs open) as your home page

    * Use Bookmark sets the selected bookmark (or if you select a
    folder, the set of bookmarks in that folder) as your home page

    * Restore to Default resets your home page to the default home
    page

    Downloads

    This section contains optionspreferences determining how Firefox
    downloads files.

    Show the Downloads window when downloading a file

    With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will open the Downloads window when you start
    downloading a file.

    Close it when all downloads are finished

    Select this optionpreference to have Firefox close the Downloads
    window when all downloads currently in progress finish.

    Save files to

    By default downloaded files are automatically saved to the Desktop,
    eliminating the hassle of specifying a download location for every file you
    download. You can choose a different folder by clicking the Browse...Choose...
    button.

    Always ask me where to save files

    With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will ask you where
    you would like to save every downloaded file (instead of using the default
    location specified above).

    System Defaults

    Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on
    startup

    Select this option if you want Firefox to check whether it is the
    default browser at startup. This will ensure Firefox is used
    whenever an application tries to display a web page. You can also click the
    Check Now button to do a check right now.

    Tabs OptionsPreferences

    New pages should be opened in:

    This optionpreference controls whether links from other applications or from
    web pages which request to open them in new windows are opened in a new
    window or a new tab in the most recent window.

    Note: If you have chosen to open pages in new tabs,
    Firefox will ignore this optionpreference and will open a new window
    from a link if the page author specified that the new window should have a
    specific size, because some pages can only be displayed correctly at a
    specific size.

    Warn me when closing multiple tabs

    When you close a window with multiple tabs, Firefox will ask you
    to confirm your choice. This prevents you from accidentally closing the
    whole window when you intended to only close the current tab. Uncheck this
    optionpreference to disable this warning and have Firefox
    automatically close the window.

    Warn me when opening multiple tabs might slow down
    Firefox

    When you open a large number of tabs at once, Firefox will ask you
    to confirm your choice. This prevents you from accidentally slowing down
    your system while the pages are loading. Uncheck this optionpreference to
    disable this warning.

    Always show the tab bar

    If you're only viewing one web page in a Firefox window, the tab
    bar is not normally shown. Check this optionpreference to always show the tab
    bar, including when only the Firefox window contains only one
    page.

    When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately

    When you middle-click on a Web link (or hold down CtrlCmd while clicking
    with the left mouse button), the page will be opened in a new tab. That page
    will not be displayed and will load in a background tab. Check this
    optionpreference to load and display the page in a new foreground tab
    instead.

    Content OptionsPreferences

    Block Pop-up Windows

    By default, Firefox blocks annoying pop-up windows on web sites.
    Unchecking this optionpreference will disable pop-up blocking.

    Some web sites make legitimate use of pop-up windows. Therefore, you can
    allow these sites to open pop-ups anyway. To do so, click
    Exceptions..., enter the site name, and click Allow. To
    remove a web site from the list, select it and then click Remove
    Site. To clear the list completely, click Remove All Sites.

    Load images automatically

    Firefox displays images in web pages by default. Uncheck this
    optionpreference to disable images in web pages.

    If you enable loading images automatically, the Exceptions...
    button lets you select sites from which images will not automatically load.
    The Exceptions... button lets you specify web sites that you wish
    to load (or not load) regardless of the setting of this preference. In the
    exceptions list, enter the site from which you want to allow or block images
    and click Allow to allow images, or click Block to block
    the images.

    Enable JavaScript

    JavaScript is a scripting language commonly used to make web pages
    interactive. However, it also makes certain annoying behaviors much easier to
    perform. To disable JavaScript, uncheck this optionpreference. However, note
    that disabling JavaScript may cause some sites to not work properly. For more
    fine-grained control over what JavaScript can and cannot do, click
    Advanced....

    Advanced JavaScript Settings

    Move or resize existing windows

    Uncheck this optionpreference to disable moving and resizing windows
    using scripts.

    Raise or lower windows

    Uncheck this optionpreference to make sure scripts cannot raise (bring
    to the front) or lower (send to the back) windows.

    Disable or replace context menus

    Uncheck this optionpreference to prevent web pages from disabling or
    changing the Firefox context menu.

    Hide the status bar

    Uncheck this optionpreference to force the status bar to be displayed in
    pop-up windows.

    Change status bar text

    Uncheck this optionpreference to disable changes to status bar text (such
    as displaying scrolling text messages or preventing the link address from
    being displayed while the mouse is over a link).

    Enable Java

    Java is a popular programming language for the Web. A single Java program
    can run on many different kinds of computers, thus avoiding the need for
    programmers to create a separate version of a program for each kind of
    computer. Uncheck this optionpreference to disable Java applets in
    Firefox. Note that in order for Java applets to work, you must
    install the Java plugin.

    Fonts & Colors

    Default font and Size

    Web pages are usually displayed in the font and size specified here.
    However, web pages can override these choices unless you specify otherwise
    in the Fonts dialog. Click the Advanced... button to access the
    Fonts dialog and to change this and other fonts optionspreferences.

    Fonts Dialog

    1. From the Fonts for drop-down list, choose a language
    group/script. For instance, to set default fonts for the West
    European languages/scripts (Latin), choose Western. For a
    language/script not in the list, choose Other Languages.

    2. Select whether proportional text should be serif (like "Times
    New Roman") or sans-serif (like "Arial"). Then specify
    the font size you want for proportional text.

    3. Specify the font to use for Serif, Sans-serif and Monospace fonts.
    You can also change the size for Monospace fonts.

    You can also set the minimum web page font size. This is useful to
    prevent sites from use overly small fonts that are barely readable.

    Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections
    above

    By default Firefox uses the fonts specified by the web page
    author. Disabling this optionpreference will force all sites to use your
    default fonts instead.

    Character Encoding

    The character encoding selected here will be used to display pages that
    do not specify which encoding to use.

    Colors Dialog

    Text and Background

    Here you can change the default text and background color to be used on
    web pages that haven't specified that information. Click on the color
    samples to select colors.

    Use system colors

    Check this optionpreference to use the colors defined in your operating
    system settings instead of the colors specified above.

    Link Colors

    Here you can change the default colors for Web links. Click on the color
    samples to select colors.

    Underline links

    By default, links are underlined on web pages. Uncheck this optionpreference
    to disable this. Note that many sites specify their own styling rules
    and this optionpreference has no effect on those sites.

    Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections
    above

    By default, Firefox uses the colors specified by the web page
    author. Disabling this optionpreference will force all sites to use your
    default colors instead.

    File Types

    The Download Actions dialog, which can be opened by clicking the
    Manage... button, contains file types that you have downloaded.
    You can choose what Firefox should do when clicking on a specific
    file type by selecting the file type you want to modify and clicking the
    Change Action... button.

    This will display the Change Action dialog, where you can choose to have
    the file type opened by the default application, opened by a particular
    application, saved to disk, or shown with an installed plugin. For example,
    if you view lots of media files on web pages, you might want to specify that
    Firefox always open media files in your media player instead of
    asking where you want each media file to be saved.

    * Open them with the default application:

    Select this optionpreference to open this file type in the default
    application for that file type (determined by the operating system).

    * Open them with this application:

    Select this optionpreference to specify another application that should
    handle this file type. You will see a dialog asking you to specify the
    application to use.

    * Save them on my computer:

    This optionpreference will save the files to disk (automatically if you
    have selected the Save files to optionpreference in the
    Main panel).

    * Use this Plugin:

    Select this optionpreference to let a plugin handle this file type.

    Feeds OptionsPreferences

    Feeds are specially formatted documents which summarize the content of web
    sites. For example, a feed might summarize the latest news headlines from a
    news site or the latest posts on a blog. You can view the content of feeds in
    Firefox, create Live Bookmarks for them, or add them to a feed reader
    on your computer or on the Web. The optionspreferences in this pane determine what
    Firefox does when you view a feed.

    Show me a preview and ask me which Feed Reader to use

    When you view a feed within Firefox, you will be shown a preview of
    its contents. With this optionpreference selected, you are always given a
    choice of what you would like to use to subscribe to the feed at the top of
    the preview page.

    Subscribe to the feed using

    Instead of displaying a preview of the feed when you view one, you can have
    the feed be opened directly in a feed reader by selecting a reader from the
    list of available readers. You can choose to use an application on your
    computer to subscribe to feeds by clicking the Choose Application...
    button and finding the application on your computer. Alternately, you can
    choose to automatically subscribe to feeds by saving them as Live Bookmarks.
    To choose a subscription method, simply select it from the list.

    Privacy OptionsPreferences

    History

    Remember visited pages for the last ... days

    Here you can specify how long you want Firefox to remember what
    pages you have visited. The default is 9 days.

    Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar

    When you enter information in web forms or the search bar in
    Firefox, that information is saved so that Firefox can
    give suggestions when you enter information in forms in the future. To stop
    this behavior, uncheck this optionpreference.

    Remember what I've downloaded

    This optionpreference controls whether or not past downloads show up in the
    Downloads window. The Downloads window (accessible from Tools or by pressing CtrlCmd+JCtrlCmd+Y) displays a list of your recent
    downloads. Downloads optionspreferences are available in the Main panel.

    Cookies

    A cookie is a file created by a web site that stores information on your
    computer, such as site-specific preferences when visiting that site.

    Accept cookies from sites

    By default cookies are enabled. Uncheck this optionpreference to disable the
    use of cookies. Note that some sites may not work properly when cookies are
    disabled.

    Keep until:

    * they expire

    This is the default optionpreference. When set, this allows websites to
    specify how long a cookie will be stored by Firefox. This makes
    it possible for a site to remember your preferences and login information
    across browser sessions.

    * I close Firefox

    With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will remove all
    stored cookies when closed.

    * ask me every time

    With this optionpreference enabled, Firefox will ask you how long
    you would like to keep a cookie (or refuse it entirely) every time a web
    site attempts to set one.

    To control which sites may or may not set cookies, click the
    Exceptions... button.

    To display the Cookie Manager click Show Cookies....

    Learn more about cookies, the individual optionspreferences, and how you can
    gain control over what sites are allowed to store cookies on your computer
    by reading about Managing Cookies.

    Private Data

    Always clear my private data when I close Firefox

    You can choose to have Firefox clear your private data when you
    close it. To configure what data is cleared, click the Settings...
    button.

    Ask me before clearing private data

    With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will ask you before
    automatically clearing the data specified by clicking
    Settings....

    If you wish to clear your private data right now, you can click the
    Clear Now... button to do so. To clear your private data from
    outside the preferences dialog, either press CtrlCmd+Shift+Del
    or select Tools > Clear Private Data....

    Security OptionsPreferences

    Warn me when sites try to install add-ons

    Firefox will always ask you to confirm installations of add-ons.
    To prevent unrequested installation prompts which may lead to accidental
    installations, Firefox warns you when a web site tries to install
    an add-on and blocks the installation prompt. To allow installations from
    a specific site, click Exceptions..., enter the site name, and click
    Allow. Uncheck this optionpreference to disable the warning for all
    sites.

    Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery

    Check this optionpreference if you want Firefox to actively check
    whether the site you are visiting may be an attempt to mislead you into
    providing personal information (this is often referred to as phishing).

    Check using a downloaded list of suspected sites

    With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will check the current
    site against a frequently updated list stored on your computer. No data about
    the sites you visit is transferred to third-party anti-phishing providers
    during normal browsing. Since phishing techniques and sites evolve quickly,
    this mode of protection may not be as effective as having an anti-phishing
    provider check every site you visit.

    Check by asking ... about each site I visit

    With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will send the address of
    the current page over an encrypted connection to the selected third-party
    anti-phishing provider in order to verify its identity. This method offers the
    greatest protection, but information such as your IP address and browser
    version may be transfered and stored by the selected provider. You will be
    prompted to review and agree to the selected data provider's privacy policy
    after selecting this optionpreference.

    Passwords

    Remember passwords for sites

    Firefox can securely save passwords you enter in web forms to
    make it easier to log on to web sites. Clear this checkbox to prevent
    Firefox from remembering your passwords.

    Even with this optionpreference checked, however, you'll still be asked
    whether to save passwords for a site when you first visit it. If you select
    Never for This Site, that site will be added to an exceptions list.
    To access that list or to remove sites from it, click the
    Exceptions... button.

    Use a master password

    Firefox can protect sensitive information such as saved passwords
    and certificates by encrypting them using a master password. If you create a
    master password, each time you start Firefox, it will ask you to enter
    the password the first time it needs to access a certificate or stored
    password. You can set, change, or remove the master password by
    by checking or unchecking this optionpreference or by clicking the
    Change Master Password... button. If a master password is already
    set, you will need to enter it in order to change or remove the master password.

    Show Passwords...

    You can manage saved passwords and delete individual passwords by clicking
    the View Saved Passwords button.

    Warning Messages

    Click the Settings... button to configure the security warnings
    Firefox displays while you browse the web.

    Security Warnings Dialog

    I am about to view an encrypted page

    When this optionpreference is enabled, Firefox will notify you
    every time you are about to view an encrypted page.

    I am about to view a page that uses low-grade encryption

    With this optionpreference enabled, Firefox will warn you when
    you visit a page which uses low-grade encryption.

    I leave an encrypted page for one that isn't encrypted

    With this optionpreference enabled, Firefox will warn you
    every time you move from an encrypted page to an unencrypted page either
    by selecting a link on the page, selecting a bookmark or typing a new
    address into the location bar.

    I submit information that's not encrypted

    When this optionpreference is enabled, Firefox will warn you
    when you submit data via a form that's not encrypted.

    I'm about to view an encrypted page that contains some unencrypted
    information

    With this optionpreference enabled, Firefox will warn you when
    the page you're viewing contains a mixture of encrypted and
    unencrypted content. If an encrypted page contains unencrypted data,
    you should verify the identity of the page you're viewing prior to
    entering sensitive data.

    Advanced OptionsPreferences

    The advanced panel contains many optionspreferences that are less likely to be
    used by most people but are useful and sometimes critical optionspreferences for
    some people.

    General tab

    Accessibility

    Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages

    When this optionpreference is enabled, Firefox will display a
    movable cursor in web pages, allowing you to select text with the
    keyboard. You can toggle this mode by pressing F7.

    Search for text when I start typing

    When this optionpreference is enabled, Firefox will find within
    the current web page what you type as you type it. While you are finding
    typed text in the page, the Find Toolbar will automatically display at the
    bottom of the window to show information about what you've found.

    Browsing

    Use autoscrolling

    Autoscrolling is a useful feature which allows you to scroll the page by
    clicking the middle mouse button (usually the scroll wheel) and moving the
    mouse up or down. Some people find this annoying, so autoscrolling can be
    disabled with this optionpreference.

    Use smooth scrolling

    Smooth scrolling can be very useful if you read a lot of long pages.
    Normally, when you press Page Down, the view jumps directly
    down one page. With smooth scrolling, it slides down smoothly, so you can
    see how much it scrolls. This makes it easier to resume reading from where
    you were before.

    Check my spelling as I type

    When this preference is enabled, Firefox will check your spelling
    and offer possible corrections as you type in web forms. Note that you
    may need to download a dictionary; to do so, right-clickpress Ctrl and
    click on any text field, enable spellchecking if necessary, and
    then use the provided Languages menu to
    download a dictionary.

    Languages

    Some web pages are offered in more than one language. Click the
    Choose... button to specify your preferred language or
    languages.

    Languages Dialog

    To add a language, click Select a language to add..., choose the
    language, and click the Add button. Remove a language by
    selecting it in the list of active languages and clicking the
    Remove button. You can also reorder languages using the Move
    Up and Move Down buttons to determine the most preferred one
    in case a page is provided in multiple languages .

    Network tab

    Connection

    Your organization or Internet service provider may offer or require you
    to use a proxy. A proxy acts as an intermediary between your computer and
    the Internet. It intercepts all requests to the Internet to see if it can
    fulfill the request using its cache. Proxies are used to improve
    performance, filter requests, and hide your computer from the Internet to
    improve security. Proxies are often part of corporate firewalls.

    Connection Settings Dialog

    Direct connection to the Internet

    This is the default optionpreference. Choose this if you don't want
    to use a proxy.

    Auto-detect proxy settings for this network

    Choose this if you want Firefox to automatically detect the
    proxy settings for your network.

    Manual proxy configuration

    Choose this if you don't have a proxy location (URL). Ask your
    system administrator for the names and port numbers of the servers
    running proxy software for each network service and enter the
    information in the appropriate fields.

    Automatic proxy configuration URL

    If your workplace has a proxy configuration file, ask the system
    administrator for its URL and enter it here. Click Reload to
    load the settings.

    Cache

    Pages you view are normally stored in a special cache folder for quicker
    viewing the next time you visit the same page. You can specify the amount
    of disk space the cache can use here. You can also immediately clear
    the contents of the cache.

    Use up to ... MB of space for the cache

    Allows you to specify the maximum size, in megabytes, of the cache on
    your computer.

    Clear Now

    Immediately clears the current contents of the cache, freeing the disk
    space used by the cache.

    Update tab

    Firefox can check whether updates to installed add-ons or to
    Firefox itself are available.

    Automatically check for updates to:

    By default Firefox automatically checks for updates to itself, to
    add-ons, and to search engines so you'll always know you have the most
    up-to-date version. You can change this behavior by changing the
    appropriate checkboxes here.

    When updates to Firefox are found,

    Ask me what I want to do

    Updates to Firefox are installed automatically by default.
    Select this optionpreference to manually control how and when updates are
    installed.

    Automatically download and install the update

    When this optionpreference is selected, Firefox updates will
    be automatically downloaded and will be installed the next time
    Firefox is restarted. The Warn me if this will disable any
    of my add-ons optionpreference determines whether you will be warned
    before the installation of an update which would require an incompatible
    add-on to be disabled because no newer, compatible version exists. The
    warning will allow you to postpone installation of the update, though at
    the expense of improvements included in it.

    If all extensions and themes are compatible or can be updated to be
    compatible, the Firefox update will be installed. Upon restart
    you will be asked to install any needed add-on updates so that you can
    continue to use them.

    Show Update History

    Firefox automatically records the updates you have installed.
    You can view information about these updates by clicking this button.

    Note: You must be running Firefox as
    an administratorroot
    or as the user who originally installed Firefox
    to install Firefox updates.

    Encryption tab

    Protocols

    Use SSL 3.0

    Specifies whether you want to send and receive secured information through
    SSL3 (Secure Sockets Layer, Level 3), a standard protocol for
    communicating securely with web sites. Disabling it will prevent you from
    visiting some sites.

    Use TLS 1.0

    Specifies whether you want to send and receive secured information through
    TLS (Transport Layer Security), a security standard similar to SSL3
    (Secure Sockets Layer). Disabling it will prevent you from visiting some
    sites.

    Certificates

    Certificates help perform encryption and decryption of connections to
    secure sites.

    When a web site requires a certificate:

    When a web site requests a secure connection, Firefox will by
    default automatically use an appropriate certificate. If you wish to
    manually choose a certificate (for example, if you wish to use a certain
    type of encryption instead of what is automatically selected), select the
    optionpreference Ask me every time and you'll be in complete
    control of what certificates you use while browsing.

    View Certificates

    Click this button to view stored certificates, import new certificates,
    and back up or delete old certificates in Firefox.

    Revocation Lists

    Firefox can use Certificate Revocation Lists (also known as
    CRLs) to ensure that your certificates are always valid. Click the
    Revocation Lists button to manage the CRLs installed on your
    computer.

    Verification

    Firefox can verify the validity of your certificates using OCSP
    (Online Certificate Status Protocol) every time they are viewed or used.
    Firefox does not use OCSP by default, but if you want to enable
    it, you can do so here. You will most likely only need to change this if
    your Internet environment requires it.

    Security Devices

    Security devices can encrypt and decrypt connections and store
    certificates and passwords. If you need to use a security device other
    than the one in Firefox, click the Security Devices
    button.

    Copyright © 2003-2007 Contributors to the Mozilla Help Viewer Project.

    Neil, Mar 28, 2007
  13. Aardvark

    jim Guest

    "jim" < <mailto:>> wrote in
    message <news:ZNeOh.14695$>...

    > what I enter in forms and search bar is checked in Firefox Options, yet
    > when

    > I go back,it is blank .

    > Any thoughts welcomed

    > Jim

    Neil Wrote.......

    Mozilla Firefox OptionsPreferences

    This document explains all of the optionspreferences available in the

    OptionsPreferences window of Mozilla Firefox.

    "Always clear my private data when I close firefox "is unchecked

    "Remember what I enter in forms and search bar " is checked .

    Still a mystery.

    Thanks Neil

    jim, Mar 28, 2007