    I have upgraded to the latest released build today, but cannot recall if
    it was before or after this phenomenon.

    Any ideas?

    Tiernan, Mar 4, 2005

  2. On 3/4/2005 11:40 AM, Tiernan said:
    > I have a couple of sites that I maintain, small nothing fancy.
    >
    > Originally the sites were built with Front Page.
    >
    > I recently decided to update one of the pages (this site has MS themes)
    > I made my edits, uploaded the new files to the site and the background
    > colors (theme) were gone. I spent a couple of hours fooling around to no
    > avail. In desperation I used IE6 to open the site and all of the stuff
    > was there (theme).
    >
    > I have upgraded to the latest released build today, but cannot recall if
    > it was before or after this phenomenon.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I doubt Microsoft care much about creating code other browsers can read
    properly. I'll stick my neck out and say that some FrontPage themes
    might be designed to *only* work properly in IE.

    The themes are probably there when you look at the page in FF, but they
    may not be making any sense to it, or stylesheets may be included using
    some "IE-only" dodge, or whatever.

    It's worth looking at editors that encourage the use of design standards
    such as CSS. Dreamweaver if your pockets are deep, although I think Nvu
    (www.nvu.com) will do much of the same for free...

    cheers,

    David H

    David Harrison, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Tiernan

    Tiernan Guest

    David Harrison wrote:
    > On 3/4/2005 11:40 AM, Tiernan said:
    >
    >> I have a couple of sites that I maintain, small nothing fancy.
    >>
    >> Originally the sites were built with Front Page.
    >>
    >> I recently decided to update one of the pages (this site has MS themes)
    >> I made my edits, uploaded the new files to the site and the background
    >> colors (theme) were gone. I spent a couple of hours fooling around to
    >> no avail. In desperation I used IE6 to open the site and all of the
    >> stuff was there (theme).
    >>
    >> I have upgraded to the latest released build today, but cannot recall
    >> if it was before or after this phenomenon.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > I doubt Microsoft care much about creating code other browsers can read
    > properly. I'll stick my neck out and say that some FrontPage themes
    > might be designed to *only* work properly in IE.
    >
    > The themes are probably there when you look at the page in FF, but they
    > may not be making any sense to it, or stylesheets may be included using
    > some "IE-only" dodge, or whatever.
    >
    > It's worth looking at editors that encourage the use of design standards
    > such as CSS. Dreamweaver if your pockets are deep, although I think Nvu
    > (www.nvu.com) will do much of the same for free...
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David H

    Turns out its my bad......I was editing another page which has the theme
    I was looking for and in the save as portion of the event, some extra
    grafx files were saved. This did not happen on the other page.

    So half the mystery is solved. Now if I can just wade through the bs to
    make it work the way I want.

    I do NOT recommend Front Page it wants to retain last files opened and
    some other quirks.

    Though wading through Adobe's site builder is no picnic. They definitely
    have they're own way.

    Finally no argument about M$. I'm going to try out Open Office, then
    there's no looking back.

    www.DeanTiernan.com

    Tiernan, Mar 5, 2005
  4. Tiernan wrote:
    > David Harrison wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/4/2005 11:40 AM, Tiernan said:
    >>
    >>> I have a couple of sites that I maintain, small nothing fancy.
    >>>
    >>> Originally the sites were built with Front Page.
    >>>
    >>> I recently decided to update one of the pages (this site has MS themes)
    >>> I made my edits, uploaded the new files to the site and the background
    >>> colors (theme) were gone. I spent a couple of hours fooling around to
    >>> no avail. In desperation I used IE6 to open the site and all of the
    >>> stuff was there (theme).
    >>>
    >>> I have upgraded to the latest released build today, but cannot recall
    >>> if it was before or after this phenomenon.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> I doubt Microsoft care much about creating code other browsers can
    >> read properly. I'll stick my neck out and say that some FrontPage
    >> themes might be designed to *only* work properly in IE.
    >>
    >> The themes are probably there when you look at the page in FF, but
    >> they may not be making any sense to it, or stylesheets may be included
    >> using some "IE-only" dodge, or whatever.
    >>
    >> It's worth looking at editors that encourage the use of design
    >> standards such as CSS. Dreamweaver if your pockets are deep, although
    >> I think Nvu (www.nvu.com) will do much of the same for free...
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >>
    >> David H

    > Turns out its my bad......I was editing another page which has the theme
    > I was looking for and in the save as portion of the event, some extra
    > grafx files were saved. This did not happen on the other page.
    >
    > So half the mystery is solved. Now if I can just wade through the bs to
    > make it work the way I want.
    >
    > I do NOT recommend Front Page it wants to retain last files opened and
    > some other quirks.
    >
    > Though wading through Adobe's site builder is no picnic. They definitely
    > have they're own way.
    >
    > Finally no argument about M$. I'm going to try out Open Office, then
    > there's no looking back.
    >
    > www.DeanTiernan.com

    Open Office is a great program. When you are moving from the MSOffice
    suite, there is some getting used to, but once you to get used to Oo_O,
    it will do pretty much anything Office will do.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Tiernan

    GK Guest

    Firefox upgrades and Control Panel Add/Remove Programs

    I have installed Firefox 1.0.1. Under the Windows Control Panel, Add or
    Remove Programs shows three versions: Mozilla Firefox (1.0), Mozilla
    Firefox (1.0.1), and Mozilla Firefox (1.0PR).

    Do I have all 3 still installed on my computer? I show one Firefox
    directory only. I presume if I remove 1.0PR I'll lose 1.0.1.

    Just wondering.

    GK

    GK, Mar 5, 2005
  6. Tiernan

    Trev67 Guest

    Re: Firefox upgrades and Control Panel Add/Remove Programs

    GK wrote:
    > I have installed Firefox 1.0.1. Under the Windows Control Panel, Add or
    > Remove Programs shows three versions: Mozilla Firefox (1.0), Mozilla
    > Firefox (1.0.1), and Mozilla Firefox (1.0PR).
    >
    > Do I have all 3 still installed on my computer? I show one Firefox
    > directory only. I presume if I remove 1.0PR I'll lose 1.0.1.
    >
    > Just wondering.
    >
    > GK

    v1.0PR and v1.0 can both safely be removed from your PC using Add or
    Remove Programs, without losing v1.0.1.

    --
    Reclaim Your Inbox!

    Trev67, Mar 5, 2005
  7. On 3/5/2005 2:48 AM, Leonidas Jones said:

    > Open Office is a great program. When you are moving from the MSOffice
    > suite, there is some getting used to, but once you to get used to Oo_O,
    > it will do pretty much anything Office will do.

    Amen. I've even used it to open some 'corrupt' files that Word 97, 2000
    and 2003 wouldn't touch! A quick 'Save As' and all was well...

    cheers,

    David H

    David Harrison, Mar 5, 2005
  8. Re: Firefox upgrades and Control Panel Add/Remove Programs

    Trev67 wrote:
    > GK wrote:
    >
    >> I have installed Firefox 1.0.1. Under the Windows Control Panel, Add
    >> or Remove Programs shows three versions: Mozilla Firefox (1.0),
    >> Mozilla Firefox (1.0.1), and Mozilla Firefox (1.0PR).
    >>
    >> Do I have all 3 still installed on my computer? I show one Firefox
    >> directory only. I presume if I remove 1.0PR I'll lose 1.0.1.
    >>
    >> Just wondering.
    >>
    >> GK

    > v1.0PR and v1.0 can both safely be removed from your PC using Add or
    > Remove Programs, without losing v1.0.1.

    If they are actually installed, yes. However, what most people are
    noticing is that the subsequent installation of new versions have
    overwritten the old versions, but left the references in Add/Remove.

    The scenario is, user has 1.0PR installed. He installs 1.0 over the top
    of 1.0PR, without uninstalling first. He then installs 1.0.1 in the
    same way, same result.

    There are now three separate listings in Add/Remove, 1.0PR, 1.0, and
    1.0.1. However, the installation has overwritten the program files, so
    only 1.0.1 is actually there.

    Using Add/Remove to remove 1.0PR, in this case will activate the only
    uninstaller that is actually there, that for 1.0.1. So trying to remove
    1.0PR actually uninstalls 1.0.1.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 5, 2005
  9. Tiernan

    GK Guest

    Re: Firefox upgrades and Control Panel Add/Remove Programs

    This seems to be the case on my system. The newer versions have simply
    overwritten the older versions. They still show in Add/Remove Programs,
    but do not exist on the system. So, were I to remove them, they would
    delete my most current installation of Firefox.

    I can't seem to find the trigger for simply deleting them from the
    Add/Remove Programs dialogue box. I'll keep looking.

    Thanks.

    GK

    GK, Mar 6, 2005
  10. Tiernan

    Tony Raven Guest

    GK wrote:
    > This seems to be the case on my system. The newer versions have simply
    > overwritten the older versions. They still show in Add/Remove Programs,
    > but do not exist on the system. So, were I to remove them, they would
    > delete my most current installation of Firefox.
    >
    > I can't seem to find the trigger for simply deleting them from the
    > Add/Remove Programs dialogue box. I'll keep looking.

    As others have said, Regcleaner will do it for you. Just click the
    boxes next to the versions you want removed in the Add/Remove programmes
    tab and it will delete those entries. Its freeware.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Mar 6, 2005
  11. Tiernan

    ..brian.. Guest

    Re: Firefox upgrades and Control Panel Add/Remove Programs

    ::TOP POSTING FOR CONSISTENCY::

    There are many different ways to accomplish this task. I'd recommend
    downloading HiJackThis, and use the 'Uninstall Manager' under the 'Misc
    Tools' section to remove the entry.

    [http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html]

    Brian <-- Proper signature can't be added due to top-posting

    ..brian.., Mar 6, 2005
  12. Tiernan

    GK Guest

    Re: Firefox upgrades and Control Panel Add/Remove Programs

    Thank you. Worked like a champ.

    GK

    GK, Mar 7, 2005