    re-downloaded and installed FF 2.0.0.10 and have the same problem. When I
    uninstalled FF I didn't delete the Mozilla folder in Docs & settings, App
    data. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem and how to fix it?
    Nick D., Nov 27, 2007

  2. Nick D.

    Rom Guest

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:42:10 -0800, Nick D. wrote:

    > I've been using FF vers 1 and 2 for the last 2.5 years with no problems, but
    > a couple days ago whenever I started it, it would open, start to load a page
    > and freeze. Task manager would show "not responding". After about a
    > minute or more it would resume, but would freeze again, etc., etc. IE6
    > works fine and I installed Opera and it works fine. I uninstalled and
    > re-downloaded and installed FF 2.0.0.10 and have the same problem. When I
    > uninstalled FF I didn't delete the Mozilla folder in Docs & settings, App
    > data. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem and how to fix it?

    What do you have set as you your home page/when Firefox starts up?
    Or what are some sites/pages where this is happening for you?

    Backup your current profile (in Doc & Settings) to another location.

    With your current profile, open Firefox and click Stop so no home
    page(s) loads, set your home page (temporarily) to about:blank and for
    Firefox to use it when it starts. Then clear/delete everything --
    cache, history, cookies etc.

    Update all plugins and/or reinstall (and cleanup old) plugins.

    Try Firefox Safe Mode, see:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode>

    Try a new profile, see:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows>

    For further info and where to look/what to do:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs>
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox>

    If you have problems with the URLs above and using Firefox, copy them
    and use IE or Opera to view.

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Nov 28, 2007

  3. Nick D. wrote:
    > I've been using FF vers 1 and 2 for the last 2.5 years with no problems, but
    > a couple days ago whenever I started it, it would open, start to load a page
    > and freeze. Task manager would show "not responding". After about a
    > minute or more it would resume, but would freeze again, etc., etc. IE6
    > works fine and I installed Opera and it works fine. I uninstalled and
    > re-downloaded and installed FF 2.0.0.10 and have the same problem. When I
    > uninstalled FF I didn't delete the Mozilla folder in Docs & settings, App
    > data. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem and how to fix it?

    problem: no idea. The problem could be one in a million.

    ideas: close FF and make sure its closed by looking in the
    task manager. Now, click on the windows start button, then
    run, and enter:

    firefox.exe -safe-mode

    this will start FF in safe mode. Does the problem continue?

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 28, 2007
  4. Nick D.

    Nick D. Guest

    "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <>
    wrote in message news:fiicbv$kq7$...
    > Nick D. wrote:
    > > I've been using FF vers 1 and 2 for the last 2.5 years with no problems,

    but
    > > a couple days ago whenever I started it, it would open, start to load a

    page
    > > and freeze. Task manager would show "not responding". After about a
    > > minute or more it would resume, but would freeze again, etc., etc.

    IE6
    > > works fine and I installed Opera and it works fine. I uninstalled and
    > > re-downloaded and installed FF 2.0.0.10 and have the same problem.

    When I
    > > uninstalled FF I didn't delete the Mozilla folder in Docs & settings,

    App
    > > data. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem and how to fix

    it?

    > problem: no idea. The problem could be one in a million.
    >
    > ideas: close FF and make sure its closed by looking in the
    > task manager. Now, click on the windows start button, then
    > run, and enter:
    >
    > firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >
    > this will start FF in safe mode. Does the problem continue?
    >
    > --
    > *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but messages emailed to me will be
    > disregarded!!!!
    >
    > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    > http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Does the same thing in safe mode.
    Nick D., Nov 28, 2007
  5. Nick D.

    Nick D. Guest

    "Rom" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:42:10 -0800, Nick D. wrote:
    >
    > > I've been using FF vers 1 and 2 for the last 2.5 years with no problems,

    but
    > > a couple days ago whenever I started it, it would open, start to load a

    page
    > > and freeze. Task manager would show "not responding". After about a
    > > minute or more it would resume, but would freeze again, etc., etc.

    IE6
    > > works fine and I installed Opera and it works fine. I uninstalled and
    > > re-downloaded and installed FF 2.0.0.10 and have the same problem.

    When I
    > > uninstalled FF I didn't delete the Mozilla folder in Docs & settings,

    App
    > > data. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem and how to fix

    it?

    > What do you have set as you your home page/when Firefox starts up?
    > Or what are some sites/pages where this is happening for you?

    It's not just the home page (my.msn.com), it's any page. Then, if I wait
    long enough for it to finish loading a page, the next action I take, such as
    click on a menu item, button, etc, puts it into "not responding" mode again.
    When I look at the "processes" tab in task manager, it shows FF using 97-99%
    of CPU, freezing everything else I might be trying to do, while it does
    whatever it's doing.

    Nick D., Nov 28, 2007
  6. Nick D. wrote:
    > "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <>
    > wrote in message news:fiicbv$kq7$...
    >> Nick D. wrote:
    >>> I've been using FF vers 1 and 2 for the last 2.5 years with no problems,

    > but
    >>> a couple days ago whenever I started it, it would open, start to load a

    > page
    >>> and freeze. Task manager would show "not responding". After about a
    >>> minute or more it would resume, but would freeze again, etc., etc.

    > IE6
    >>> works fine and I installed Opera and it works fine. I uninstalled and
    >>> re-downloaded and installed FF 2.0.0.10 and have the same problem.

    > When I
    >>> uninstalled FF I didn't delete the Mozilla folder in Docs & settings,

    > App
    >>> data. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem and how to fix

    > it?
    >>>

    >> problem: no idea. The problem could be one in a million.
    >>
    >> ideas: close FF and make sure its closed by looking in the
    >> task manager. Now, click on the windows start button, then
    >> run, and enter:
    >>
    >> firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >>
    >> this will start FF in safe mode. Does the problem continue?
    >>

    > Does the same thing in safe mode.

    OK, close the program and make sure its closed by looking in
    the task manager. Now, click on the windows start button,
    then run, and enter:

    firefox.exe -p

    this will bring up the FF profile manager. Create a test
    profile. Does the problem continue in the test profile?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 28, 2007
  7. Nick D.

    Rom Guest

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:48:12 -0800, Nick D. wrote:

    > It's not just the home page (my.msn.com), it's any page. Then, if I wait
    > long enough for it to finish loading a page, the next action I take, such as
    > click on a menu item, button, etc, puts it into "not responding" mode again.
    > When I look at the "processes" tab in task manager, it shows FF using 97-99%
    > of CPU, freezing everything else I might be trying to do, while it does
    > whatever it's doing.

    Okay, and in another message you mentioned you've now tried Safe Mode.

    I'd look into updating/reinstalling plugins like Flash in particular.

    There's an uninstaller here:
    <http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html#uninstaller>

    Download from here:
    <http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash>

    The current version of Flash is 9,0,47,0 and can check here:
    <http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/>

    Does the high CPU usage still happen when JavaScript is disabled?
    Tools > Options > Content, UNcheck "Enable JavaScript"

    Also see: <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage>

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Nov 28, 2007
  8. Nick D.

    wrote in message news:fij2tq$4gv$...
    > Nick D. wrote:
    > > "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"

    <>
    > > wrote in message news:fiicbv$kq7$...

    problems,
    > > but

    > > page

    > > IE6

    and

    > > When I

    > > App

    > > it?
    > >>>
    > >> problem: no idea. The problem could be one in a million.
    > >>
    > >> ideas: close FF and make sure its closed by looking in the
    > >> task manager. Now, click on the windows start button, then
    > >> run, and enter:
    > >>
    > >> firefox.exe -safe-mode
    > >>
    > >> this will start FF in safe mode. Does the problem continue?
    > >>

    > > Does the same thing in safe mode.

    > OK, close the program and make sure its closed by looking in
    > the task manager. Now, click on the windows start button,
    > then run, and enter:
    >
    > firefox.exe -p
    >
    > this will bring up the FF profile manager. Create a test
    > profile. Does the problem continue in the test profile?
    >
    > --

    Created the test profile, started FF and everything appears to be working
    normally. Thanks. Is it safe to say I can now go into my "Docs &
    Settings"/App Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles folder and just delete the old
    profile folder?
    Nick D., Nov 28, 2007
  9. Nick D.

    Nick D. Guest

    "Nick D." <> wrote in message

    > "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"

    <>
    > wrote in message news:fij2tq$4gv$...
    > > Nick D. wrote:
    > > > "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"

    > <>

    > problems,
    > > > but

    load
    > > > page

    > > > IE6

    > and
    > > > When I

    settings,
    > > > App

    fix
    > > > it?

    > > > Does the same thing in safe mode.

    > > OK, close the program and make sure its closed by looking in
    > > the task manager. Now, click on the windows start button,
    > > then run, and enter:
    > >
    > > firefox.exe -p
    > >
    > > this will bring up the FF profile manager. Create a test
    > > profile. Does the problem continue in the test profile?
    > >
    > > --

    > Created the test profile, started FF and everything appears to be working
    > normally. Thanks. Is it safe to say I can now go into my "Docs &
    > Settings"/App Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles folder and just delete the old
    > profile folder?

    Or should I use firefox.exe -p and the delete profile button?
    Nick D., Nov 28, 2007
  10. Nick D.

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:41:39 -0800, Nick D. wrote:

    > "Nick D." <> wrote in message

    [...]
    >> Created the test profile, started FF and everything appears to be working
    >> normally. Thanks. Is it safe to say I can now go into my "Docs &
    >> Settings"/App Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles folder and just delete the old
    >> profile folder?
    >>

    > Or should I use firefox.exe -p and the delete profile button?

    Yep, use the Profile Manager to delete the old profile, but before do
    you may want to keep some files like bookmarks and passwords and copy
    them over to the new profile:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile>

    Also if you want to, now you have a new profile working you may be
    able to pinpoint and fix the problem in the old profile. For example,
    clearing the cache, history etc. or delete (with Firefox closed) the
    files from the old profile folder, and sessionstore.js files could be
    a cause so delete all found in the old profile folder.

    To (try to) fix the problem in the original profile:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox#Profile_issues>
    Multiple sessionstore.js files:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Multiple_sessionstore.js_files>

    --