    aborted and offered to restart it - fat chance!

    Anyone else ever have this happen?
    , Jan 30, 2008

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On visiting a web page I have visited many hundreds of times,Firefox
    > locked up. Meanwhile thunderbird was working fine. CPU use was near
    > zero and mem usage for Firefox not excessive. CRL ALT DEL and end
    > program produced no results after several minutes. So I chose "shut
    > down" the PC and again was presented with the end program option. It
    > took several minutes, but Windows got to the logoff screen and the
    > gave up. I had to kill the power to get going again.
    >
    > Upon restarting, it still recognized that a previous session had been
    > aborted and offered to restart it - fat chance!
    >
    > Anyone else ever have this happen?

    Are you sure it was 0 not 99%
    I often find FF running at near 100% on some sites fecking up my comp.
    Anyway I disabled java and java script and gguess what - it runs like a
    dream.
    Includinig pages which were major culprits, I always knew when there was
    prob
    when I heard the fan kicking in.
    Had it disabled for a few hours now, no fan!!!!
    Nice responsive comp.

    Solutin disable java and jave script.

    IF it needs to run they can ask.

    Need javascript for utube though.
    Lord Turkey Cough, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Andy Luddy Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> On visiting a web page I have visited many hundreds of times,Firefox
    >> locked up. Meanwhile thunderbird was working fine. CPU use was near
    >> zero and mem usage for Firefox not excessive. CRL ALT DEL and end
    >> program produced no results after several minutes. So I chose "shut
    >> down" the PC and again was presented with the end program option. It
    >> took several minutes, but Windows got to the logoff screen and the
    >> gave up. I had to kill the power to get going again.
    >>
    >> Upon restarting, it still recognized that a previous session had been
    >> aborted and offered to restart it - fat chance!
    >>
    >> Anyone else ever have this happen?

    > Are you sure it was 0 not 99%
    > I often find FF running at near 100% on some sites fecking up my comp.
    > Anyway I disabled java and java script and gguess what - it runs like a
    > dream.
    > Includinig pages which were major culprits, I always knew when there was
    > prob
    > when I heard the fan kicking in.
    > Had it disabled for a few hours now, no fan!!!!
    > Nice responsive comp.
    >
    > Solutin disable java and jave script.
    >
    > IF it needs to run they can ask.
    >
    > Need javascript for utube though.

    Consider installing the NoScript add-on
    <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722> which "allows
    JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted
    domains of your choice" and will allow you to approve scripting on a per
    site basis (i.e. allowing scripts from youtube.com) or to allow on a
    temporary basis (which appears to continue until the session ends).
    Andy Luddy, Feb 6, 2008
  4. "Andy Luddy" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> On visiting a web page I have visited many hundreds of times,Firefox
    >>> locked up. Meanwhile thunderbird was working fine. CPU use was near
    >>> zero and mem usage for Firefox not excessive. CRL ALT DEL and end
    >>> program produced no results after several minutes. So I chose "shut
    >>> down" the PC and again was presented with the end program option. It
    >>> took several minutes, but Windows got to the logoff screen and the
    >>> gave up. I had to kill the power to get going again.
    >>>
    >>> Upon restarting, it still recognized that a previous session had been
    >>> aborted and offered to restart it - fat chance!
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else ever have this happen?

    >> Are you sure it was 0 not 99%
    >> I often find FF running at near 100% on some sites fecking up my comp.
    >> Anyway I disabled java and java script and gguess what - it runs like a
    >> dream.
    >> Includinig pages which were major culprits, I always knew when there was
    >> prob
    >> when I heard the fan kicking in.
    >> Had it disabled for a few hours now, no fan!!!!
    >> Nice responsive comp.
    >>
    >> Solutin disable java and jave script.
    >>
    >> IF it needs to run they can ask.
    >>
    >> Need javascript for utube though.

    > Consider installing the NoScript add-on
    > <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722> which "allows
    > JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted
    > domains of your choice" and will allow you to approve scripting on a per
    > site basis (i.e. allowing scripts from youtube.com) or to allow on a
    > temporary basis (which appears to continue until the session ends).

    Thanks I will give it a shot. sounds ideal.
    Lord Turkey Cough, Feb 6, 2008