    until FF is ready.

    --
    Jim,

    Jim L, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Jim L

    Jay Calvert Guest

    Jim L wrote:
    > I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but Firefox is not yet ready to
    > challenge IE. Too many sites that don't work. I have found half a dozen in
    > the week or so that I have had Firefox. For example www.royalcaribbean.com/
    > opens in IE with music and a moving banner. In Firefox it just sits there. I
    > just don't have the time (or patience) to use 2 browsers. Although I do like
    > many things that FF does (tabs for one) I guess I have to go back to IE
    > until FF is ready.

    Sorry to hear that, we'll miss you but we will see you soon in the
    spyware forums.

    Incidently, if you need help cleaning your system in a week, visit my
    site for some reviews.

    http://habaneronetworks.com

    --
    Feeling kinda cheeky
    Jay Calvert

    Jay Calvert, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Jim L wrote:
    > I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but Firefox is not yet ready

    > challenge IE. Too many sites that don't work. I have found half a

    dozen in
    > the week or so that I have had Firefox. For example

    www.royalcaribbean.com/
    > opens in IE with music and a moving banner. In Firefox it just sits

    there. I
    > just don't have the time (or patience) to use 2 browsers. Although I

    do like
    > many things that FF does (tabs for one) I guess I have to go back to

    IE
    > until FF is ready.
    >
    > --
    > Jim,

    You're not crazy.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mozilla_Suite_:_FAQs_:_Remove_IE contains
    info on how
    Bill is protecting his evil program. I actually have 6 browsers on my
    computer,
    2 of which I don't use, and those numbers don't include ascii or
    bootable ones. As for 1 browser to rule them all, besides Moz or FF, at
    least untill the next
    lawsuit against Microsoft, Opera:
    http://www.opera.com/
    It can identify itself as most versions of Moz, IE, or Opera, depending
    on your
    settings. (it's under preferences, duh).
    Hope this helps,
    Poly-poly man

    Poly-poly man, Feb 15, 2005
  4. I started writing my last post before Jay had finished his, so I'll
    give this advice on top of
    his. Use AdAware, produced by Lavasoft, its better. I don't have the
    link with me, but it's somewhere in this group.
    Sorry for the inconvenience

    Poly-poly man, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Jim L

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Jim L wrote:

    > I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but Firefox is not yet ready to
    > challenge IE. Too many sites that don't work. I have found half a dozen in
    > the week or so that I have had Firefox. For example www.royalcaribbean.com/
    > opens in IE with music and a moving banner. In Firefox it just sits there. I
    > just don't have the time (or patience) to use 2 browsers. Although I do like
    > many things that FF does (tabs for one) I guess I have to go back to IE
    > until FF is ready.

    Not sure how in the massive amounts of javascript on that site but they
    are sniffing for /something/ and not loading the Flash animation you're
    speaking of for Mozilla-based browsers. I have the same versions of
    Flash installed for IE, Mozilla 1.7.5, and Firefox 1.0. IE runs the
    Flash, the Moz apps don't. Cookies were cleared and enabled. Pop-ups
    enabled. javascript is enabled. Even tried spoofing the User Agent to
    IE6 to no avail.

    And no where that I can find on the site is a way to send them a message
    regarding the Web site, only regarding cruise info. Interesting because
    I'm taking an RC cruise to Alaska in July and I spent a lot of time on
    this site a few weeks ago. Never noticed (nor do I miss!) that Flash
    program running.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Jim L

    Jim L Guest

    I always use Adaware, Spysweeper & Spybot. I may be dumb but I'm not
    stupid......lol
    I just wish I could somehow resolve some of the FF problems because it has
    some really good features.

    Jim L, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Jim L

    Jim L Guest

    If it was just that site I could live with it. But I'm a travel agent and
    many travel sites don't load properly with FF.

    Jim L, Feb 15, 2005
  8. Jim L

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Jim L wrote:

    > If it was just that site I could live with it. But I'm a travel agent and
    > many travel sites don't load properly with FF.
    >

    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jim L wrote:
    >>

    >>>I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but Firefox is not yet ready to
    >>>challenge IE. Too many sites that don't work. I have found half a dozen

    > in
    >
    >>>the week or so that I have had Firefox. For example

    > www.royalcaribbean.com/
    >
    >>>opens in IE with music and a moving banner. In Firefox it just sits

    > there. I
    >
    >>>just don't have the time (or patience) to use 2 browsers. Although I do

    > like
    >
    >>>many things that FF does (tabs for one) I guess I have to go back to IE
    >>>until FF is ready.
    >>>

    >>Not sure how in the massive amounts of javascript on that site but they
    >>are sniffing for /something/ and not loading the Flash animation you're
    >>speaking of for Mozilla-based browsers. I have the same versions of
    >>Flash installed for IE, Mozilla 1.7.5, and Firefox 1.0. IE runs the
    >>Flash, the Moz apps don't. Cookies were cleared and enabled. Pop-ups
    >>enabled. javascript is enabled. Even tried spoofing the User Agent to
    >>IE6 to no avail.
    >>
    >>And no where that I can find on the site is a way to send them a message
    >>regarding the Web site, only regarding cruise info. Interesting because
    >>I'm taking an RC cruise to Alaska in July and I spent a lot of time on
    >>this site a few weeks ago. Never noticed (nor do I miss!) that Flash
    >>program running.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Ed Mullen
    >>http://edmullen.net
    >>http://edmullen.net/moz.html
    >>Always proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

    As a follow-up, I did finally find a form and submitted a question.
    I'll post back if I get an answer.

    By the way, in many cases spoofing your User Agent in Firefox will
    overcome compatibility issues. In other cases the Web site is designed
    to be IE specific, usually via use of ActiveX components. In those
    cases all you can do is use IE and email the Web master with a polite
    request that they fix their site to be standards compliant.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 15, 2005
  9. Jim L

    Gunther Guest

    In article <7HrQd.1395$>,
    says...
    > I always use Adaware, Spysweeper & Spybot. I may be dumb but I'm not
    > stupid......lol
    > I just wish I could somehow resolve some of the FF problems because it has
    > some really good features.

    I cannot believe how many people seem to think that just because a
    website doesn't look like it does under IE that FF is somehow
    at fault. Disallowing the blind downloading-and-execution of
    code from a website is NOT a bug, it's a design feature, and
    one that must remain in place.

    And as long as people think there's a safe way to let a
    stranger supply code on-the-fly, there's going to be a
    market for anti-virus/trojan/spyware/malware products
    and consultants to bail out the fools who refuse to
    think before clicking the "yes, allow the weasle into
    my chicken house" button.

    I don't give a good crap whether it's signed, unsigned,
    trusted, boxed-in-a-*VM, scanned by a paranoid protection
    product, or blessed by the Vatican, ain't no ActiveCrap
    running on my system.

    So there!

    Gunther, Feb 15, 2005
  10. Jim L

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Gunther wrote:

    > In article <7HrQd.1395$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>I always use Adaware, Spysweeper & Spybot. I may be dumb but I'm not
    >>stupid......lol
    >>I just wish I could somehow resolve some of the FF problems because it has
    >>some really good features.

    > I cannot believe how many people seem to think that just because a
    > website doesn't look like it does under IE that FF is somehow
    > at fault. Disallowing the blind downloading-and-execution of
    > code from a website is NOT a bug, it's a design feature, and
    > one that must remain in place.
    >
    > And as long as people think there's a safe way to let a
    > stranger supply code on-the-fly, there's going to be a
    > market for anti-virus/trojan/spyware/malware products
    > and consultants to bail out the fools who refuse to
    > think before clicking the "yes, allow the weasle into
    > my chicken house" button.
    >
    > I don't give a good crap whether it's signed, unsigned,
    > trusted, boxed-in-a-*VM, scanned by a paranoid protection
    > product, or blessed by the Vatican, ain't no ActiveCrap
    > running on my system.
    >
    > So there!

    Well, ok, Gunther, but how do you *really* feel about this? ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 15, 2005
  11. Jim L

    Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:02:27 GMT, "Jim L" <> wrote:

    >I always use Adaware, Spysweeper & Spybot. I may be dumb but I'm not
    >stupid......lol
    >I just wish I could somehow resolve some of the FF problems because it has
    >some really good features.
    >
    >"Poly-poly man" <> wrote in message
    >> I started writing my last post before Jay had finished his, so I'll
    >> give this advice on top of
    >> his. Use AdAware, produced by Lavasoft, its better. I don't have the
    >> link with me, but it's somewhere in this group.
    >> Sorry for the inconvenience

    If you use Spybot Search & Destroy, be sure you select the right one. An
    imposter site is fooling a lot of people.
    This is the right site: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

    , Feb 15, 2005
  12. Jim L

    Drude Guest

    In article <DNpQd.1338$>,
    says...
    > I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but Firefox is not yet ready to
    > challenge IE. Too many sites that don't work. I have found half a dozen in
    > the week or so that I have had Firefox. For example www.royalcaribbean.com/
    > opens in IE with music and a moving banner. In Firefox it just sits there. I
    > just don't have the time (or patience) to use 2 browsers. Although I do like
    > many things that FF does (tabs for one) I guess I have to go back to IE
    > until FF is ready.

    It also doesn't 'work' on my computer...

    Thank god!!!

    Christ, I HATE it when I go to a site only to be deafened by music and
    dazzled (not!) by animated banners and ads!

    Look, if something like that is the worst thing that you have to worry
    about when using FF, then you really have no worries at all...

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the site or the way FireFox
    displays it. It simply looks like it's been coded differently for
    different browsers, and they either haven't bothered with the NOISE and
    animation for FF, or they are still in the process of changing it so it
    will 'work' in FF. Maybe they haven't bothered with the RACKET for FF
    because they know most FF users don't want to see that crap anyway!

    Ahem...

    The site actually seems to work perfectly. Animation or no animation.

    If you hit a site that actually DOESN'T WORK with FF (and there are a
    few...but getting better all the time), then simply post it here and the
    nice people will try to help you with it.

    I have had issues with FF in the past, and so far, every one of my
    problems -- whether it's been sites not displaying correctly or features
    of FF not working properly -- has been sorted out.

    Don't give up... it really is a good browser.

    Drude

    Drude, Feb 16, 2005
  13. Jim L wrote:
    > If it was just that site I could live with it. But I'm a travel agent

    and
    > many travel sites don't load properly with FF.

    See you in the next FF version, perhaps 2 or 3?
    Though, loading "properly" doesn't matter if it doesn't block content.
    But really, even if Gunther is right, FF should have some blind
    download-execute
    emulator. You could do one of the following options, none of which I
    particularly
    recommend:
    1. Complain to Moz crew
    2. Complain to bill
    3. Quit your job, become a sheperd
    4. Make a new browser, put it out on the web, form a company, get Dell
    benefits,
    maybe write a good OS, become a millionaire, etc.

    (note- option 4 is like microsoft, minus the order, and "good should be
    changed
    to "bad")

    Poly-poly man

    Poly-poly man, Feb 16, 2005
  14. > For example www.royalcaribbean.com/
    > opens in IE with music and a moving banner. In Firefox it just sits there.

    I tried that site, and apart from the tacky advertising banner and bad
    quality music, everything else works fine. All the fancy pop-up menus
    work correctly (and look quite nice, I must say).
    Not a good example if you're trying to convince me that FF isn't ready.
    If this page *did* work in FF, the fist thing I would do would be the
    Adblock the annoying moving banner.

    --
    Bryan

    Reclaim Your Inbox!

    Bryan Harrison, Feb 16, 2005
  15. Jim L

    Me Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:01:59 -0500, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >Jim L wrote:
    >
    >> I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but Firefox is not yet ready to
    >> challenge IE. Too many sites that don't work. I have found half a dozen in
    >> the week or so that I have had Firefox. For example www.royalcaribbean.com/
    >> opens in IE with music and a moving banner. In Firefox it just sits there. I
    >> just don't have the time (or patience) to use 2 browsers. Although I do like
    >> many things that FF does (tabs for one) I guess I have to go back to IE
    >> until FF is ready.
    >>

    >Not sure how in the massive amounts of javascript on that site but they
    >are sniffing for /something/ and not loading the Flash animation you're
    >speaking of for Mozilla-based browsers. I have the same versions of
    >Flash installed for IE, Mozilla 1.7.5, and Firefox 1.0. IE runs the
    >Flash, the Moz apps don't. Cookies were cleared and enabled. Pop-ups
    >enabled. javascript is enabled. Even tried spoofing the User Agent to
    >IE6 to no avail.
    >
    >And no where that I can find on the site is a way to send them a message
    >regarding the Web site, only regarding cruise info. Interesting because
    >I'm taking an RC cruise to Alaska in July and I spent a lot of time on
    >this site a few weeks ago. Never noticed (nor do I miss!) that Flash
    >program running.

    Thats funny, because I could not get Flash to work in IE for nothing.
    It used to work, but quit working over a year ago, and no matter how
    many times I reinstalled it, it would not work. Flash worked just
    fine in Firefox. The only thing is too many sites are now making
    their whole website run on Flash (like www.budweiser.com). I have a
    slow dialup connection and an old computer. Those all Flash sites
    would cause my whole system to come to a screetching halt. So, I
    deleted all the Flash files for FF, since there is no way to shut it
    off in FF. I miss some of the Flash cartoons and stuff, but I cant
    cope with those sites that slow me down that much.

    Me, Feb 16, 2005
  16. Jim L

    Me Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:04:52 GMT, "Jim L" <> wrote:

    >If it was just that site I could live with it. But I'm a travel agent and
    >many travel sites don't load properly with FF.

    Can you post the URL for an example please.

    Tahnks

    -----------------

    Me, Feb 16, 2005
  17. Use Firefox with IEView extension

    > I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but Firefox is not yet ready to
    > challenge IE. Too many sites that don't work. I have found half a dozen
    > in
    > the week or so that I have had Firefox. For example
    > www.royalcaribbean.com/
    > opens in IE with music and a moving banner. In Firefox it just sits there.
    > just don't have the time (or patience) to use 2 browsers. Although I do
    > like
    > many things that FF does (tabs for one) I guess I have to go back to IE
    > until FF is ready.

    === EXTENSION TO VIEW PAGE IN IE ===
    I have found very few websites that don't work in Firefox. And for those
    few I simply use this extension: http://ieview.mozdev.org/ It allows you to
    right-click on the page and select "View this page in IE" from the context
    menu. It comes in very handy at times.

    It is not that IE is better than Firefox (I my opinion, it's not) just that
    IE is more forgiving of bad code, and poorly written Javascript. I don't
    see why a very good browser should be blamed for poorly authored websites.
    If the coders used web standards then there wouldn't even be need for
    browser sniffing to determine which browser is being used.

    I have at least five browsers installed at one time (Firefox 1.0, IE6,
    Opera7, Netscape7, Lynx) but use Firefox about 99.99% of the time. It takes
    no time at all to use the "View this page in IE" extension. I recommend
    that you give it a go.

    Sincerely,

    Gareth J M Saunders
    www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk

    Gareth J M Saunders, Feb 16, 2005
  18. Jim L

    Jeff Evans Guest

    Poly-poly man wrote:

    > http://www.opera.com/
    > It can identify itself as most versions of Moz, IE, or Opera, depending
    > on your
    > settings. (it's under preferences, duh).

    Firefox can also do this with an extension. Google "firefox agent switch"

    Jeff Evans, Feb 16, 2005
  19. Jim L

    Me Guest

    Re: Use Firefox with IEView extension

    I always just copy the url and paste it to an IE page.
    I cant say I have run across any pages that did not view in IE unless
    they need Flash player, and in that case, who needs the website at
    all. I hate Flash.

    Me, Feb 17, 2005
  20. Jim L

    Me Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:16:38 GMT, Drude <> wrote:

    >In article <DNpQd.1338$>,
    > says...
    >> I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but Firefox is not yet ready to
    >> challenge IE. Too many sites that don't work. I have found half a dozen in
    >> the week or so that I have had Firefox. For example www.royalcaribbean.com/
    >> opens in IE with music and a moving banner. In Firefox it just sits there. I
    >> just don't have the time (or patience) to use 2 browsers. Although I do like
    >> many things that FF does (tabs for one) I guess I have to go back to IE
    >> until FF is ready.
    >>

    >It also doesn't 'work' on my computer...
    >
    >Thank god!!!
    >
    >Christ, I HATE it when I go to a site only to be deafened by music and
    >dazzled (not!) by animated banners and ads!
    >
    >Look, if something like that is the worst thing that you have to worry
    >about when using FF, then you really have no worries at all...
    >
    >There is absolutely nothing wrong with the site or the way FireFox
    >displays it. It simply looks like it's been coded differently for
    >different browsers, and they either haven't bothered with the NOISE and
    >animation for FF, or they are still in the process of changing it so it
    >will 'work' in FF. Maybe they haven't bothered with the RACKET for FF
    >because they know most FF users don't want to see that crap anyway!
    >
    >Ahem...
    >
    >The site actually seems to work perfectly. Animation or no animation.
    >
    >If you hit a site that actually DOESN'T WORK with FF (and there are a
    >few...but getting better all the time), then simply post it here and the
    >nice people will try to help you with it.
    >
    >I have had issues with FF in the past, and so far, every one of my
    >problems -- whether it's been sites not displaying correctly or features
    >of FF not working properly -- has been sorted out.
    >
    >Don't give up... it really is a good browser.
    >
    >Drude

    I have no problems viewing that page at all using the latest FF.
    I do not get any sound or animated stuff at all. Apparently I got all
    that stuff disabled, which is the way I like it.

    Me, Feb 17, 2005