Firefox not opening ..reinstall ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by tHe otHer BeaTle, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?

    So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I tried to
    reinstall

    NZed
     
    tHe otHer BeaTle, Jul 7, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Ross Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:56:59 +1200, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    <> wrote:

    >Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    >I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    >Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?
    >
    >So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I tried to
    >reinstall
    >
    >NZed


    Sometimes on Win98 and WinXP, if Firefox won't start, check your
    running tasks. You may find a firefox process, or two running - even
    though they have no windows open. Kill them off. On Win98, I recommend
    ENDITAll2 so you can see all running processes.

    Ross
     
    Ross, Jul 7, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Pon Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:56:59 +1200, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    <> wrote:

    >Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    >I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    >Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?
    >
    >So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I tried to
    >reinstall
    >
    >NZed


    Are you on 1.0.5 ?
    If not get it & install
     
    Pon, Jul 7, 2005
    #3
  4. I have checked this...and this has happened before.
    However what I cannot understand is that even if I reinstal it should work.
    The browser opens but nothing happens and I cannot open the menu buttons.

    NZed

    "Ross" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:56:59 +1200, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    >>I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    >>Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?
    >>
    >>So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I tried
    >>to
    >>reinstall
    >>
    >>NZed

    >
    > Sometimes on Win98 and WinXP, if Firefox won't start, check your
    > running tasks. You may find a firefox process, or two running - even
    > though they have no windows open. Kill them off. On Win98, I recommend
    > ENDITAll2 so you can see all running processes.
    >
    > Ross
    >
     
    tHe otHer BeaTle, Jul 7, 2005
    #4
  5. Do you know something I dont know
    I can only find version 1.0.4

    NZed

    "Pon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:56:59 +1200, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    >>I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    >>Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?
    >>
    >>So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I tried
    >>to
    >>reinstall
    >>
    >>NZed

    >
    > Are you on 1.0.5 ?
    > If not get it & install
    >
     
    tHe otHer BeaTle, Jul 7, 2005
    #5
  6. tHe otHer BeaTle

    GraB Guest

    Will it open in Safe Mode?

    Try moving your profile folder to a temp location, then reinstall. I
    think an extension might be causing the problem. If it works you
    could copy the bookmark file across afterwards and reinstall the
    extensions.

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:03:16 +1200, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    <> wrote:

    >I have checked this...and this has happened before.
    >However what I cannot understand is that even if I reinstal it should work.
    >The browser opens but nothing happens and I cannot open the menu buttons.
    >
    >NZed
    >
    >"Ross" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:56:59 +1200, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    >>>I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    >>>Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?
    >>>
    >>>So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I tried
    >>>to
    >>>reinstall
    >>>
    >>>NZed

    >>
    >> Sometimes on Win98 and WinXP, if Firefox won't start, check your
    >> running tasks. You may find a firefox process, or two running - even
    >> though they have no windows open. Kill them off. On Win98, I recommend
    >> ENDITAll2 so you can see all running processes.
    >>
    >> Ross
    >>

    >
     
    GraB, Jul 7, 2005
    #6
  7. tHe otHer BeaTle

    GraB Guest

    Or you could go to Profile Manager and create a new profile. That
    will make a clean version, sans extensions and skins. That should
    work.

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:08:52 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Will it open in Safe Mode?
    >
    >Try moving your profile folder to a temp location, then reinstall. I
    >think an extension might be causing the problem. If it works you
    >could copy the bookmark file across afterwards and reinstall the
    >extensions.
    >
    >On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:03:16 +1200, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I have checked this...and this has happened before.
    >>However what I cannot understand is that even if I reinstal it should work.
    >>The browser opens but nothing happens and I cannot open the menu buttons.
    >>
    >>NZed
    >>
    >>"Ross" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:56:59 +1200, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    >>>>I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    >>>>Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?
    >>>>
    >>>>So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I tried
    >>>>to
    >>>>reinstall
    >>>>
    >>>>NZed
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes on Win98 and WinXP, if Firefox won't start, check your
    >>> running tasks. You may find a firefox process, or two running - even
    >>> though they have no windows open. Kill them off. On Win98, I recommend
    >>> ENDITAll2 so you can see all running processes.
    >>>
    >>> Ross
    >>>

    >>
     
    GraB, Jul 7, 2005
    #7
  8. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Pon Guest

    Apparently so - but you'd be correct in classifying it still as a test
    release.
    I've been on 1.0.5 for a week or so myself with no problems thus far.:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.9)
    Gecko/20050629 Firefox/1.0.5

    Here may be an even more recent build:
    http://mozilla.osuosl.org/pub/mozil...-05-aviary1.0.1/firefox-1.0.5.en-US.win32.zip

    Cheers

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:03:52 +1200, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    <> wrote:

    >Do you know something I dont know
    >I can only find version 1.0.4
    >
    >NZed
    >
    >"Pon" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:56:59 +1200, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    >>>I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    >>>Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?
    >>>
    >>>So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I tried
    >>>to
    >>>reinstall
    >>>
    >>>NZed

    >>
    >> Are you on 1.0.5 ?
    >> If not get it & install
    >>

    >
     
    Pon, Jul 7, 2005
    #8
  9. On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:56:59 +1200, tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:

    > Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    > I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    > Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?
    >
    > So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I tried to
    > reinstall
    >
    > NZed


    I think there may be a problem with one of the extensions. For a quick
    test you can disable them all and restart Firefox.

    Tony.
     
    The Black Wibble, Jul 7, 2005
    #9
  10. tHe otHer BeaTle

    bambam Guest

    "tHe otHer BeaTle" <> wrote in
    news:42ccd22e$:

    > Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    > I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    > Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?
    >
    > So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I
    > tried to reinstall


    Sounds like you have a corrupt profile, see here for details-

    http://www.bytecave.net/anders/guide/SinglePage/

    After you have a working Firefox again, and have loaded all your bookmarks
    and extensions, this program will help you easily recover from such an
    experience in the future-

    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
     
    bambam, Jul 7, 2005
    #10
  11. Thanks to everyone...it was the user profile..
    I ended up deleting them all and making a new one and its started first
    time.
    Thanks to everyones help and assistance.
    So frustrating !
    But now happy to have it resolved
    NZed

    "bambam" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns968CE99BE473197hk66302sneakemailc@127.0.0.1...
    > "tHe otHer BeaTle" <> wrote in
    > news:42ccd22e$:
    >
    >> Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    >> I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    >> Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?
    >>
    >> So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I
    >> tried to reinstall

    >
    > Sounds like you have a corrupt profile, see here for details-
    >
    > http://www.bytecave.net/anders/guide/SinglePage/
    >
    > After you have a working Firefox again, and have loaded all your bookmarks
    > and extensions, this program will help you easily recover from such an
    > experience in the future-
    >
    > http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
     
    tHe otHer BeaTle, Jul 7, 2005
    #11
  12. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Rob J Guest

    In article <42ccd22e$>,
    says...
    > Firefox keeps not wanting to open properly.
    > I have tried to reinstall with no sucess.
    > Any advice on how I can do a clean reinstal ?
    >
    > So far using XP ...done the remove software bit...didnt work when I tried to
    > reinstall


    I only get this with the most recent versions. I'm running 0.9.x on
    another pC and it never hangs.

    You may need to kill off "Firefox" processes in the task list before you
    can get it to open.
     
    Rob J, Jul 7, 2005
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. S.Rodgers
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    1,748
    Doug G
    Dec 16, 2005
  2. Thaqalain
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    761
    Thaqalain
    Jun 30, 2005
  3. Elizabeth
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    906
    Elizabeth
    Aug 15, 2006
  4. Jer
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    382
  5. nobody760
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    641
Loading...

Share This Page