    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    http://pqlr.org/
    http://pqlr.org/bbs/

    Jenn, Jan 16, 2010

  2. Jenn

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:46:02 -0600, Jenn wrote:

    > Can someone can tell me how to add Eternal-September news info to the
    > firefox news reader? A friend is trying to get to the Alt groups using
    > firefox news reader.
    >
    > thanks,

    Firefox? Don't you mean "Thunderbird"?
    Tbird is the mail/news client.

    richard, Jan 16, 2010

  3. Jenn

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jenn wrote:

    > Can someone can tell me how to add Eternal-September news info to the
    > firefox news reader? A friend is trying to get to the Alt groups using
    > firefox news reader.

    You are most likely thinking of the Thunderbird newsreader.

    The Mozilla Foundation is over the Moz Corp which coords Firefox and the
    Foundation is also over the Moz Messaging Inc which releases Tbirds.

    If your friend doesn't have a newsreader and wants Tbird, they should go
    get it here http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/ What’s
    New In Thunderbird 3?

    It is also possible to read newsgroups from a website in a browser like
    FF, but I don't recommend that.

    Then, if they already have Tbird, they need to get an e-s
    eternal-september account here http://www.eternal-september.org/
    news.eternal-september.org is a private project providing free access to
    text-only Usenet News

    .... and configure their Tbird according to the technical info at the e-s
    site http://snipr.com/u3s5d eternal-september.org can be accessed via
    the following server names and ports

    .... which is illustrated with screenshots for a different newsserver
    here http://snipr.com/u3s5n Program configuration for Thunderbird

    .... substituting the values for e-s for those of NIN

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 16, 2010
  4. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:20:45 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Jenn wrote:
    >>
    >> Can someone can tell me how to add Eternal-September news info to the
    >> firefox news reader? A friend is trying to get to the Alt groups using
    >> firefox news reader.

    > You are most likely thinking of the Thunderbird newsreader.
    >
    > The Mozilla Foundation is over the Moz Corp which coords Firefox and the
    > Foundation is also over the Moz Messaging Inc which releases Tbirds.

    <snip>
    > ... which is illustrated with screenshots for a different newsserver
    > here http://snipr.com/u3s5n Program configuration for Thunderbird
    >
    > ... substituting the values for e-s for those of NIN

    Thanks Mike! I posted the info to my friend on my bbs so he can get it
    set up.

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    http://pqlr.org/

    Jenn, Jan 16, 2010
  5. Jenn

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jenn wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    > Thanks Mike! I posted the info to my friend on my bbs so he can get it
    > set up.

    So you did http://snipr.com/u3s8v Re: How the rich prey on the poor -
    Postby jenn » Sat Jan 16, 2010

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 16, 2010
  6. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:37:46 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Jenn wrote:
    >> Mike Easter

    >> Thanks Mike! I posted the info to my friend on my bbs so he can get it
    >> set up.

    > So you did http://snipr.com/u3s8v Re: How the rich prey on the poor -
    > Postby jenn » Sat Jan 16, 2010

    That's it .. I made sure I included your username here so when he gets
    hooked up he'll know who helped him. :)

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    http://pqlr.org/

    Jenn, Jan 16, 2010
  7. Jenn

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jenn wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:37:46 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    Did you know that you can edit your Pan's configuration so that it makes
    a very brief attribution line instead of the one you have above with the
    date 'junk'? For example, notice my short Jenn wrote: attrib vs your
    long date + Mike Easter wrote:

    Pan/ Edit/ Edit posting profiles/ <select your profile> Edit/ Optional
    information section/ Attribution line: (if you want, you can change what
    is in there to something 'cleaner'/ shorter/ terser/) such as %n wrote:

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 16, 2010
  8. Jenn

    chuckcar Guest

    Jenn <> wrote in

    > Can someone can tell me how to add Eternal-September news info to the
    > firefox news reader? A friend is trying to get to the Alt groups
    > using firefox news reader.

    All newsreaders/email programs come with manuals. While some are better
    than others, reading it should be the first step for anyone using it.
    Along with that for someone with learning difficulties, having someone
    who can follow such instructions do it for them would be the best
    solution.

    Also posting here in proxy of someone doesn't work well when it works at
    all.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 16, 2010
  9. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Jenn wrote:
    > Did you know that you can edit your Pan's configuration so that it makes
    > a very brief attribution line instead of the one you have above with the
    > date 'junk'? For example, notice my short Jenn wrote: attrib vs your
    > long date + Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    > Pan/ Edit/ Edit posting profiles/ <select your profile> Edit/ Optional
    > information section/ Attribution line: (if you want, you can change what
    > is in there to something 'cleaner'/ shorter/ terser/) such as %n wrote:

    I saw that under Tools > Posting Profiles when I was exploring the
    program. I didn't think having the date part there would bother anyone. I
    dropped the date and will see if I like it that way. :)

    thanks,

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    http://pqlr.org/