    3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
    Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with it?

    AL

    Alan, Aug 24, 2004

  2. > Having downloaded Mozilla Firefox, installed it as my default browser, I
    > would like to ask a few questions please.
    >
    > 1. Is there a way of accessing email from within it.

    No. It's just a browser. If you want both you need Mozilla. If you just
    want a mail program, then you need Mozilla Thunderbird.

    > 2. What are the recommended alternatives to Outlook Express for email and
    > newsgroups?

    See above.

    > 3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
    > Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with it?

    Can you delete Internet Explorer? I don't think you can. But anyway, as
    long as you don't use it, it's fine.
    You just have to cope with the security issues inherent with Windows. ;-)

    Bryan

    Bryan Harrison, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Alan

    Steve IA Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > 3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
    > Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with it?
    >
    > AL

    Keep IE. Some sites don't work well with FF and you can download an
    extension to "view in IE". (Selling on ebay is one that doesn't work for
    me). I've read that some bank sites don't like FF either.
    Steve
    southiowa

    Steve IA, Aug 24, 2004
  4. Alan

    Brian Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Having downloaded Mozilla Firefox, installed it as my default browser, I
    > would like to ask a few questions please.
    >
    > 1. Is there a way of accessing email from within it.

    Regular email? No. Firefox, like Internet Explorer, is just a Web browser.

    > 2. What are the recommended alternatives to Outlook Express for email and
    > newsgroups?

    There are many alternatives for email programs. If you are looking for
    a Mozilla alternative, then your options are Thunderbird or the Mozilla
    Suite.

    > 3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
    > Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with it?

    No. Windows Update requires IE. And unless you know what you are
    doing, you are not going to be able to remove it anyway; Windows XP is
    not going to let you simply Add/Remove it.

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    Brian, Aug 24, 2004
  5. Alan

    marcel Guest

    Hi Brian
    not necessarily: I could make XP' Updates including SP2 network
    dowload (266 Mb) with Firefox 0.9.3
    marcel

    marcel, Aug 24, 2004
  6. Alan

    Brian Guest

    <-- Continuing the top-posting for consistency -->

    Correct. If you want to download from the catalog, then you could ditch
    IE and use an alternative browser. However, most users do not know how
    to use the catalog, and what updates they have installed on their
    computer or do not know which updates they need to download. SP2 is an
    exception to all this, as Microsoft gave you a nice little link to
    download the .exe from, and you knew you needed/wanted it.

    But... again, this method of updating Windows is not for the majority of
    "normal" computer users.

    Another alternative is to let Windows automatically update.

    Is that how you usually update Windows XP? You read about needed
    updates from somewhere/someone or the knowledgebase, and then go find
    them in the catalog? I don't talk to may people that update that way,
    but I know people do it.

    I doubt you needed to download the entire SP2 file. If you would have
    used the SP for "home users", you probably would have only downloaded
    somewhere around 100MB of data.

    This whole point is basically useless, as Internet Explorer is part of
    Windows XP... and there isn't a way (that I know of) to completely
    remove IE from it. You can deny access to it. But I don't think you
    can actually remove it.

    Cheers.

    --
    Brian

    a question you haven't seen yet.
    backwards; seeing the answer to
    top-post. It's confusing to read
    I'll never understand why people

    Brian, Aug 24, 2004
  7. Alan

    Charlie Guest

    Steve IA wrote:

    > Keep IE. Some sites don't work well with FF and you can download an
    > extension to "view in IE". (Selling on ebay is one that doesn't work for
    > me). I've read that some bank sites don't like FF either.
    > Steve
    > southiowa

    As someone who has been using FireFox since it was Phoenix I have to say
    that my experience is totally different. I have had no problems
    whatsoever viewing sites or using FF for such transactions as paying
    bills & purchasing online. Merely by using Firefox you have increased
    your security no end :)

    It may be true that the occasional site may only allow access to IE
    users, this will happen less as more people stop using IE. I have come
    across some really bad javascript that will only work on IE - usually
    it's a site I can live without! Ironically, the only time I have to use
    IE is when I need to log onto my router - bad cosing by SMC in this case :(

    Charlie.
    www.peartreegreen.org

    Charlie, Aug 24, 2004
  8. Alan

    slack_vi Guest

    I use windows xp and when I want too use Windows Update I go to help and
    support and it has its own nice lil mini program. Even though it
    technically uses the IE rendering engine I feel like I am not cheating
    on mozilla when using it. :)

    slack_vi, Aug 25, 2004
  9. Alan

    marcel Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:46:17 -0400, Brian <home@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    ><-- Continuing the top-posting for consistency -->

    snip

    Oops very sorry Brian I didn't paid attention... Promise not to redo
    it ;-)
    Rmk: this question on top/bottom posting depend heavily on
    NewsGroups...
    Cheers.
    marcel

    marcel, Aug 25, 2004
  10. Alan

    Brian Guest

    marcel wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:46:17 -0400, Brian <home@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >

    >><-- Continuing the top-posting for consistency -->
    >>

    > snip
    >
    > Oops very sorry Brian I didn't paid attention... Promise not to redo
    > it ;-)
    > Rmk: this question on top/bottom posting depend heavily on
    > NewsGroups...
    > Cheers.
    > marcel

    ;-) I just think it's funny. It makes no sense to me, but other people
    hate bottom-posting. You are correct about it varying from group to group.

    Brian, Aug 26, 2004
  11. Brian wrote:

    > marcel wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:46:17 -0400, Brian <home@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >>

    >>> <-- Continuing the top-posting for consistency -->
    >>>

    >> snip
    >>
    >> Oops very sorry Brian I didn't paid attention... Promise not to redo
    >> it ;-)
    >> Rmk: this question on top/bottom posting depend heavily on
    >> NewsGroups...
    >> Cheers.
    >> marcel

    > ;-) I just think it's funny. It makes no sense to me, but other people
    > hate bottom-posting. You are correct about it varying from group to group.

    Personally, I would like Mozilla delete all prior messages that have
    been quoted in a reply post with either top- or bottom-posting. OR, a
    reply should not quote any of the prior messages because they are still
    available in the newsgroup. Top/bottom is not an issue in the latter case.

    William W. Plummer, Aug 26, 2004
  12. Alan

    Moz Champion Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    > Brian wrote:
    >
    >> marcel wrote:

    >>> snip
    >>>
    >>> Oops very sorry Brian I didn't paid attention... Promise not to redo
    >>> it ;-)
    >>> Rmk: this question on top/bottom posting depend heavily on
    >>> NewsGroups...
    >>> Cheers.
    >>> marcel

    >> ;-) I just think it's funny. It makes no sense to me, but other
    >> people hate bottom-posting. You are correct about it varying from
    >> group to group.
    >>

    > Personally, I would like Mozilla delete all prior messages that have
    > been quoted in a reply post with either top- or bottom-posting. OR, a
    > reply should not quote any of the prior messages because they are still
    > available in the newsgroup. Top/bottom is not an issue in the latter
    > case.

    Um, in that case, if you delete all previous messages, then I guess you
    can answer all the questions <g>. Having the previous messages quoted
    saves me from re-reading every single thread when I get back to it, if I
    am not sure if X has been tried, or X set, or whatever, I can simply
    look in the quoated material for it. Without quoting, I would be forced
    to re-read each and every thread top to bottom, again and again, just to
    familiarize myself with the question at hand

    Remember, your specific question is known to you, but others dont have
    that advantage, we cant SEE the problem or your settings, so we depend
    on people telling us whats what. When someone comes in to a group (or
    returns to it) they need some reminders as to what the question really
    is, what has been discussed previously and so forth. Otherwise, in a
    tech help group, you would be answering the same thing again and again,
    ie. try doing this... you do, it doesnt work....somebody else comes
    along and because they dont see you tried it (you didnt quote)... says
    try doing this... exactly what you just did.

    Quoting messages saves me for example from re-reading each and every
    thread again and again. If you want to do that, please feel free, I dont.

    Oh, and you can set Mozilla to not quote, or quote, as well as top or
    bottom post.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Aug 26, 2004
  13. I happen to like FireFox a great deal. It does need a simple email client,
    built-in. Suppose for example I want to send a link to a friend, for
    example.

    Michael Hobbs, Aug 30, 2004
  14. Alan

    Moz Champion Guest

    Michael Hobbs wrote:

    > I happen to like FireFox a great deal. It does need a simple email client,
    > built-in. Suppose for example I want to send a link to a friend, for
    > example.
    >

    > "Alan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Having downloaded Mozilla Firefox, installed it as my default browser, I
    >>would like to ask a few questions please.
    >>
    >>1. Is there a way of accessing email from within it.
    >>2. What are the recommended alternatives to Outlook Express for email and
    >>newsgroups?
    >>3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
    >>Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with

    > it?
    >
    >>AL

    Um, if you like Firefox, then download and install Thunderbird as your
    email client, they work (and are designed to) almost seamlessly together.
    Or, you can opt for the Mozilla suite program, which gives you one
    intregated program for browsing, email/news and chat.

    And, since Firefox will work with any other mail client, if you want to
    send a link, just copy it, fire up your mail program, paste it in and
    send. Enhancement for a 'Send page' 'Send link' menu item have already
    been made.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Aug 30, 2004
  15. Alan

    Tom Accuosti Guest

    In news:lAuYc.40$,
    Michael Hobbs <> informed us:
    | I happen to like FireFox a great deal. It does need a simple email
    | client, built-in. Suppose for example I want to send a link to a
    | friend, for example.

    Yeah, that's been bugging me, too. In fact, I'd like to suggest that the
    next version of FireFox add an email client, newsgroup support, and
    maybe even a nice HTML editor. And you know what else would be cool? A
    little chat program for IRC. And maybe they could make it so that a
    chunk of it would sit in memory to make it load faster.

    Tom

    Tom Accuosti, Aug 30, 2004
  16. Alan

    Moz Champion Guest

    Tom Accuosti wrote:

    > In news:lAuYc.40$,
    > Michael Hobbs <> informed us:
    > | I happen to like FireFox a great deal. It does need a simple email
    > | client, built-in. Suppose for example I want to send a link to a
    > | friend, for example.
    >
    > Yeah, that's been bugging me, too. In fact, I'd like to suggest that the
    > next version of FireFox add an email client, newsgroup support, and
    > maybe even a nice HTML editor. And you know what else would be cool? A
    > little chat program for IRC. And maybe they could make it so that a
    > chunk of it would sit in memory to make it load faster.
    >
    > Tom

    Um, you already have such available, its called Mozilla!

    Mozilla 1.7.2 is available, which includes browsing, email/news and an
    HTML editor as well as chat.

    Based on the same basic engine as Firefox, in fact, Firefox is derived
    from Mozilla. The 'root' of Firefox was Mozilla, and then a lot of work
    went into removing the parts of Mozilla that didnt apply to the browsing
    component. Yes, along the way other items were added/modified so that
    Firefox has become more than simply a cut down Mozilla, but the essence
    is the same.

    Um, and Mozilla has Quicklaunch (for Windows) that resides in memory to
    enable the program to launch quicker.

    Gee, exactly what you asked for!

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Aug 30, 2004
  17. Alan

    Tom Accuosti Guest

    In news:6BKYc.276866$,
    Moz Champion <> informed us:
    | Tom Accuosti wrote:
    |
    || In news:lAuYc.40$,
    || Michael Hobbs <> informed us:
    ||| I happen to like FireFox a great deal. It does need a simple email
    ||| client, built-in. Suppose for example I want to send a link to a
    ||| friend, for example.
    || Yeah, that's been bugging me, too. In fact, I'd like to suggest that
    || the next version of FireFox add an email client, newsgroup support,
    || and maybe even a nice HTML editor. And you know what else would be
    || cool? A little chat program for IRC. And maybe they could make it so
    || that a chunk of it would sit in memory to make it load faster.
    || Tom
    |
    | Um, you already have such available, its called Mozilla!
    |
    | Mozilla 1.7.2 is available, which includes browsing, email/news and an
    | HTML editor as well as chat.
    |
    | Based on the same basic engine as Firefox, in fact, Firefox is derived
    | from Mozilla. The 'root' of Firefox was Mozilla, and then a lot of
    | work went into removing the parts of Mozilla that didnt apply to the
    | browsing component. Yes, along the way other items were
    | added/modified so that Firefox has become more than simply a cut down
    | Mozilla, but the essence is the same.
    |
    | Um, and Mozilla has Quicklaunch (for Windows) that resides in memory
    | to enable the program to launch quicker.
    |
    | Gee, exactly what you asked for!

    Wow, that's like, so weird - it's like they read my mind or something!

    I'd better get over to the Microsoft website and d/load it, huh?

    Tom

    Tom Accuosti, Aug 30, 2004
  18. Alan

    Moz Champion Guest

    Tom Accuosti wrote:

    > In news:6BKYc.276866$,
    > Moz Champion <> informed us:
    > | Tom Accuosti wrote:
    > |
    > || In news:lAuYc.40$,
    > || Michael Hobbs <> informed us:
    > || Yeah, that's been bugging me, too. In fact, I'd like to suggest that
    > || the next version of FireFox add an email client, newsgroup support,
    > || and maybe even a nice HTML editor. And you know what else would be
    > || cool? A little chat program for IRC. And maybe they could make it so
    > || that a chunk of it would sit in memory to make it load faster.
    > || Tom
    > |
    > | Um, you already have such available, its called Mozilla!
    > |
    > | Mozilla 1.7.2 is available, which includes browsing, email/news and an
    > | HTML editor as well as chat.
    > |
    > | Based on the same basic engine as Firefox, in fact, Firefox is derived
    > | from Mozilla. The 'root' of Firefox was Mozilla, and then a lot of
    > | work went into removing the parts of Mozilla that didnt apply to the
    > | browsing component. Yes, along the way other items were
    > | added/modified so that Firefox has become more than simply a cut down
    > | Mozilla, but the essence is the same.
    > |
    > | Um, and Mozilla has Quicklaunch (for Windows) that resides in memory
    > | to enable the program to launch quicker.
    > |
    > | Gee, exactly what you asked for!
    >

    > Wow, that's like, so weird - it's like they read my mind or something!
    >
    > I'd better get over to the Microsoft website and d/load it, huh?
    >
    > Tom

    Um, no, you wont find it on Microsoft. Its brought to you by the same
    people who brought you Firefox, Mozilla.org

    In fact you get either Firefox or Mozilla from the same place!
    http://www.mozilla.org/
    You can also get Netscape 7.2, which is exactly the same as Mozilla
    1.7.2 with Netscape Web Mail and a few other AOL tidbits added.
    and no, you wont find that at Microsoft either
    http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/default.jsp

    If you want a Porsche, dont go to a Lada dealership <g>

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Aug 30, 2004
  19. Alan

    EA Guest

    "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    > >

    > > 3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
    > > Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with

    it?

    > > AL

    > Keep IE. Some sites don't work well with FF and you can download an
    > extension to "view in IE".

    I have been looking for that extension what is it called please?

    EA, Sep 4, 2004
  20. Alan

    Andreas Guest

    EA wrote:

    > "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Alan wrote:
    >>
    >>>3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
    >>>Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with

    > it?
    >
    >>>AL

    >>Keep IE. Some sites don't work well with FF and you can download an
    >>extension to "view in IE".

    > I have been looking for that extension what is it called please?

    [SNIP]

    It's called View in IE or IE View http://ieview.mozdev.org/

    Andreas

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM