Firefox new version

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Bunge, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. Bunge

    Bunge Guest

    Bunge, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Bunge

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth "Bunge" <> in news:db1cr9$cjd$1
    @nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

    > released today 12 July 05
    >
    > Firefox 1.0.5 for Windows, English (4.7MB)
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

    I installed it per release notes (Windows 2k) and it crashed
    randomly, just shutting down instantaneously, not even invoking the
    talkback on restart. No particular cause I could see.

    I'm back on 1.04 for now.

    --
    George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
    Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every
    Tom Betz, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Bunge

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth "Bunge" <> in news:db1cr9$cjd$1
    @nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

    > released today 12 July 05
    >
    > Firefox 1.0.5 for Windows, English (4.7MB)
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

    I installed it per release notes (Windows 2k) and it crashed
    randomly, just shutting down instantaneously, not even invoking the
    talkback on restart. No particular cause I could see.

    .... okay, an hour later after more screwing around (after 1.04 was
    also broken, despite a clean re-install) I think I've tracked the
    problem I had to the recently-released Netcraft toolbar. I've got
    everything I had except for Netcraft enabled right now (after
    removing localstore.rdf and downloads.rdf, cleaning out the cache,
    and cleaning out my TEMP directories failed to fix the problem for
    1.04 OR 1.05) and 1.05 seems to be running smoothly.

    It's odd, because I was having no problem with the Netcraft toolbar
    before I uninstalled 1.04 and installed 1.05.

    Tom Betz, Jul 13, 2005
  4. Bunge

    Splibbilla Guest

    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/1.0.5.html
    Firefox 1.0.5 is a security update that is part of our ongoing program to provide a safe Internet experience for our customers. We
    recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#Firefox

    hmmm,,, this is not the firefox-1.0+.en-US.win32.installer.exe
    [2005-07-10-07]
    which is recent deer park alpha 2
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/deerpark/alpha2.html
    ( i just installed today. so far seems fine)

    funny that DPa1 installer was labeled 1.0.5
    firefox-1.0.5.en-US.win32.installer.exe
    I d/led it on 09 Jul 2005, but i know i didn't get until it had been avail for a while.

    my point being, i wonder about the"1.0.5" release number in relation to DP2a?
    Splibbilla, Jul 13, 2005
  5. Bunge

    Guest

    Your tag line, besides being totally wrong, left wing nonsense, is
    enirely inappropriate here.

    rgds/Bob
    , Jul 13, 2005
  6. Bunge

    Jan Steffen Guest

    wrote:
    > Your tag line, besides being totally wrong, left wing nonsense, is
    > enirely inappropriate here.

    Don't read tag lines, if you don't like them.
    They're meant for off-topic ;-)

    Perhaps use your usercontent.css
    ..moz-txt-sig, .moz-signature
    {
    display:none !important;
    }

    HTH,
    Jan

    --
    Axis of Evil! Countries with death penalty on juveniles:
    Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudia Arabia, USA
    Jan Steffen, Jul 13, 2005
  7. Bunge

    Tom Betz Guest

    wrote in news:1121261223.745529.14730
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > Your tag line, besides being totally wrong, left wing nonsense,

    You are entitled to your opinion, even though it is wrong.

    > is enirely inappropriate here.

    Please killfile me if you are offended by my .sig.

    The opinions of other people do not scare me enough to do so.

    Tom Betz, Jul 13, 2005
  8. Bunge

    Bumblebee Guest

    On 13 Jul 2005 06:27:03 -0700, wrote:

    >Your tag line, besides being totally wrong, left wing nonsense, is
    >enirely inappropriate here.
    >
    >rgds/Bob

    Well Done Bob, now everybody will be wondering whose tag line it is
    that you refer to. But I do admire that despite you thinking it to be
    "totally wrong left wing nonsense" and "enirely inappropriate here".

    ----------
    You graciously sent your Regards [>rgds/Bob]
    --

    Chris Bee
    Bumblebee, Jul 14, 2005
  9. Bunge

    Z Guest

    Tom Betz wrote:
    > Please killfile me if you are offended by my .sig.

    No thank you; rebuttal is better.

    > George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
    > Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every
    > disability caused there is more blood on George W. Bush's hands,
    > and on the hands of everyone who voted for George W. Bush.

    http://www.creators.com/opinion_show.cfm?columnsName=miv
    According to Human Rights Watch, Hussein killed several hundred thousand
    of his fellow citizens. The massacre of the Kurdish Barzani tribe in
    1983 killed at least 8,000; the infamous gas attack on the Kurdish
    village of Halabja killed 5,000 in 1988; and seized documents from Iraqi
    security organizations show 182,000 were murdered during the Anfal
    ethnic cleansing campaign against Kurds, also in 1988.

    In 1991, following the first Gulf War, both the Kurds and the Shiites
    rebelled. The allied forces did not intervene, and Saddam brutally
    suppressed both uprisings and drained the southern marshes that had been
    home to a local population for more than 5,000 years.

    Saddam's regime left 271 mass graves, with more still being discovered.
    That figure alone was the source for my original mistaken estimate of
    20,000. Saddam's widespread use of systematic torture, including rape,
    has been verified by the U.N. Committee on Human Rights and other human
    rights groups over the years.

    There are wildly varying estimates of the number of civilians,
    especially babies and young children, who died as a result of the
    sanctions that followed the Gulf War. While it is true that the
    ill-advised sanctions were put in place by the United Nations, I do not
    see that that lessens Hussein's moral culpability, whatever blame
    attaches to the sanctions themselves -- particularly since Saddam
    promptly corrupted the Oil for Food Program put in place to mitigate the
    effects of the sanctions, and used the proceeds to build more palaces, etc.

    There have been estimates as high as 1 million civilians killed by
    Saddam, though most agree on the 300,000 to 400,000 range, making my
    comparison to 20,000 civilian dead in this war pathetically wrong.
    Z, Jul 14, 2005
  10. Bunge

    c-bee1 Guest

    "Z" <> wrote in message news:pKlBe.7951$...
    > Tom Betz wrote:
    > > Please killfile me if you are offended by my .sig.

    > No thank you; rebuttal is better.
    >

    > > George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
    > > Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every
    > > disability caused there is more blood on George W. Bush's hands,
    > > and on the hands of everyone who voted for George W. Bush.

    > http://www.creators.com/opinion_show.cfm?columnsName=miv
    > According to Human Rights Watch, Hussein killed several hundred thousand
    > of his fellow citizens. The massacre of the Kurdish Barzani tribe in
    > 1983 killed at least 8,000; the infamous gas attack on the Kurdish
    > village of Halabja killed 5,000 in 1988; and seized documents from Iraqi
    > security organizations show 182,000 were murdered during the Anfal
    > ethnic cleansing campaign against Kurds, also in 1988.

    And republicans helped him right along - until they let Bin Laden get
    away.
    c-bee1, Jul 14, 2005
  11. Bunge

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth Z <> in news:pKlBe.7951$:

    > Tom Betz wrote:
    >> Please killfile me if you are offended by my .sig.

    > No thank you; rebuttal is better.

    If you will argue the matter, please note and abide by the more
    appropriate Followup-to.

    Of course, what you offered was not rebuttal, but excuse. You could
    cite nothing that justified the illegal invasion and occupation of
    Iraq by the lying Bush administration.

    Saddam's Iraq never attacked the United States.

    In March of 2003, Iraq was no threat to us or to its neighbors.

    There were no weapons of mass destruction, and no viable programs
    for their development. UNMOVIC inspectors were mere months away
    from proving this to be true.

    There was only a crying political need for George W. Bush to be
    seen as a "war president", to ensure a second term for him and for
    his corrupt cronies.

    As a result of Bush's criminal act in our names, Iraqis are
    suffering daily from bombings and murders. Disease has
    proliferated, water, earth and air are poisoned by the effluvia of
    warfare, and Iraq has become a more active and advanced terrorist
    training camp than Saddam's old enemy Osama bin Laden could ever
    have hoped to have in his wildest dreams.

    Tom Betz, Jul 15, 2005
  12. Bunge

    Beau Blue Guest

    "Bunge" <> wrote:

    >released today 12 July 05
    >
    >Firefox 1.0.5 for Windows, English (4.7MB)
    >
    >http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

    A new version? Have they figured out, yet, how to actually get the
    thing to stop when you close it? Or does the process still keep
    running even after you've closed it? Like it does with 1.0.4.

    What about throwing away your bookmarks, they fix that yet? Slow
    downloads? That any better now? Or have they made it even more
    unstable?

    FF isn't the crappy program that IE is, but these serious flaws in FF
    are SERIOUS. Too bad Mozilla doesn't regard 'em as such. One day,
    maybe, there will be a set of browser developers that actually care
    about the clients they hose on a daily basis, but it ain't happened
    yet. At least not up to and including FF1.0.4. Too bad.

    Is 1.0.5 ANY better, or is it just more of the same HYPE? "Hey we need
    to release again to keep our name out there, let's change a button."
    Thanks, but no thanks. 1.0.4 is bad enough .. updating to something
    just as bad, just so the developers can have frustrated users report
    what 'new' things don't work is a waste of time. Let 'em announce
    which problems they've fixed with their AD about a new version. Then
    maybe it'll be worth the time and attention to upgrade.

    -blue
    Beau Blue, Jul 16, 2005
  13. Bunge

    senojbor Guest

    Beau Blue wrote:
    > "Bunge" <> wrote:
    >

    >>released today 12 July 05
    >>
    >>Firefox 1.0.5 for Windows, English (4.7MB)
    >>
    >>http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

    > A new version? Have they figured out, yet, how to actually get the
    > thing to stop when you close it? Or does the process still keep
    > running even after you've closed it? Like it does with 1.0.4.

    I've not had this problem since moving to 1.0.5 from 1.0.4. Used to lock
    every time.
    senojbor, Jul 17, 2005